HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the Flyers be interested in Nash?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
  #576
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
I don't understand why ppl want to trade JVR, but not the other "prospects". We have a lot of young centers with a high potential right now, but who do we have on the wing? Don't trade your potential best winger!

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:01 PM
  #577
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I don't understand why ppl want to trade JVR, but not the other "prospects". We have a lot of young centers with a high potential right now, but who do we have on the wing? Don't trade your potential best winger!
Thing is, worse comes to worse, Giroux/Briere/Schenn can all play wing. JVR cant play center.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
  #578
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Thing is, worse comes to worse, Giroux/Briere/Schenn can all play wing. JVR cant play center.
They can play wing, but not at the same level then when they are centers. You normally try to get your players to play their natural position to get the best out of them. And I wouldn't bet that JVR can't play center. He probably can, but he's better as a winger.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
  #579
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I don't understand why ppl want to trade JVR, but not the other "prospects". We have a lot of young centers with a high potential right now, but who do we have on the wing? Don't trade your potential best winger!
I don't want to give up much to get Nash (and we don't REALLY need him), but it wouldn't be the end of the world to give up arguably our best potential winger for a guy who would be inarguably our best winger right now. I agree with JVR21. If JVR, Bryz, and some spare parts and a pick nets you Nash (and Mason, I guess), you do it. Getting out from under the Bryzgalov contract, even if it means bringing in another large/long one, will probably be worth it.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:06 PM
  #580
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I don't want to give up much to get Nash (and we don't REALLY need him), but it wouldn't be the end of the world to give up arguably our best potential winger for a guy who would be inarguably our best winger right now. I agree with JVR21. If JVR, Bryz, and some spare parts and a pick nets you Nash (and Mason, I guess), you do it. Getting out from under the Bryzgalov contract, even if it means bringing in another large/long one, will probably be worth it.
Yeah, well my comment was not really related to the Nash talk, it was general. People want to trade JVR in the "Suter deals" or w/e, too.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
  #581
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,977
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
People keep talking about Bryz going in a deal for Nash...is there anything that would lead us to believe that is happening or is it wishful thinking? I can't imagine any team taking him and I would be surprised if he waived his NMC to go to Columbus after a half a season in Philly.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
  #582
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
People keep talking about Bryz going in a deal for Nash...is there anything that would lead us to believe that is happening or is it wishful thinking? I can't imagine any team taking him and I would be surprised if he waived his NMC to go to Columbus after a half a season in Philly.
that

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:19 PM
  #583
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,977
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
that
Ok, I was just wondering.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
  #584
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
People keep talking about Bryz going in a deal for Nash...is there anything that would lead us to believe that is happening or is it wishful thinking? I can't imagine any team taking him and I would be surprised if he waived his NMC to go to Columbus after a half a season in Philly.
Don't see any reason to deal Bobrovsky, and we'd need to send at least one player with a serious cap hit to CBJ if we're taking Nash in return. Just makes sense to me. If Bryz doesn't hate it enough or CBJ doesn't want him, I don't see a rational way of making a deal.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
  #585
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ok, I was just wondering.

If Homer and Howson were talking Nash trade, Bryz's name has to come up. How else do the Flyers begin clearing enough cap space for Nash's $7.8 M?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
  #586
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
People keep talking about Bryz going in a deal for Nash...is there anything that would lead us to believe that is happening or is it wishful thinking? I can't imagine any team taking him and I would be surprised if he waived his NMC to go to Columbus after a half a season in Philly.
Probably wishful thinking but there have been a couple articles mentioning the possibility of it. ESPN has an article saying Bryz could be going to Columbus under the insider section I would post it but they make you pay to read the insider section which is stupid. Not to mention ESPN still uses a picture of Bryz when he played on the Mighty Ducks which shows how much effort they put into hockey haha.

But I said it before I doubt Bryz would want to go there. Columbus is a far uglier situation. They are at the bottom in offense and defense and they are rebuilding plus the few fans they have there will probably hate him even more if he sucks considering they would be giving up Nash in a deal for him.

I would be shocked if this actually happened it doesn't seem that plausible.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
  #587
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Probably wishful thinking but there have been a couple articles mentioning the possibility of it. ESPN has an article saying Bryz could be going to Columbus under the insider section I would post it but they make you pay to read the insider section which is stupid. Not to mention ESPN still uses a picture of Bryz when he played on the Mighty Ducks which shows how much effort they put into hockey haha.

But I said it before I doubt Bryz would want to go there. Columbus is a far uglier situation. They are at the bottom in offense and defense and they are rebuilding plus the few fans they have there will probably hate him even more if he sucks considering they would be giving up Nash in a deal for him.

I would be shocked if this actually happened it doesn't seem that plausible.
That's why you do Carter for Bryz... I'm tellin' you bro. Swap negative assets, get better defensively down the middle, rent Nabby.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
  #588
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
That's why you do Carter for Bryz... I'm tellin' you bro. Swap negative assets, get better defensively down the middle, rent Nabby.
I admit Carter scares me, he has fallen to a new level of lazy as a Blue Jacket. He went 26 games without a registered hit, he has 7 all year. Wayne Simmonds stole his number. Ryan Howard stole his woman. He is probably mentally broken for life.

The Islanders are pretty close to a playoff spot, it is interesting to see if they decide to sell.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
  #589
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,507
vCash: 50
I don't think Nabokov is getting traded. Islanders feel they are in it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
  #590
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
That's why you do Carter for Bryz... I'm tellin' you bro. Swap negative assets, get better defensively down the middle, rent Nabby.
#pipedream

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
  #591
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I admit Carter scares me, he has fallen to a new level of lazy as a Blue Jacket. He went 26 games without a registered hit, he has 7 all year. Wayne Simmonds stole his number. Ryan Howard stole his woman. He is probably mentally broken for life.

The Islanders are pretty close to a playoff spot, it is interesting to see if they decide to sell.
Whoa, what.

I never thought of the jersey number thing before.

Yeah, Carter's cap numbers are scary, but so are Bryz's. You could make a very strong case that Jeff Carter was a better all-around player than Rick Nash before this year. Carter's NTC was terminated by the trade. Both players have hit so far rock bottom that both of them eventually have to rebound. Coming back here without Richards would have to be startling in certain ways for Carter, I have no idea if it would be good or bad for him as a hockey player and how he would handle it. We would have insane forward depth and solve a lot of our defensive issues down the middle by putting Briere on Carter's wing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
#pipedream
Acknowledged, but this Nash talk is absurd to begin with.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
  #592
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The other factor is that if Nash needs Giroux to perform at an elite level, then how valuable is he really? Right now we have Scott Hartnell and his $4.2 M cap hit playing at a 40/40 level on Claude Giroux's wing. That's right people, Scott Hartnell is putting up a "Rick Nash season" playing with Claude Giroux. So how much excess value is there in adding Rick Nash to Giroux's wing at a $7.8 M cap hit? Not enough to lose one of our best assets in Schenn or JVR or Couturier, etc.
He's very valuable. He's a power forward/sniper. They need set up men. Nash has never had one, and still creates enough chances on his own to average around 65 points. Yes he costs a ton, I hate that about him. Yet everyone seems to not care that his production is low because he plays with no one in Columbus. They just see that he doesn't put up 90 points every year. His best distributors there were probably a washed up Fedorov and....Jake Voracek.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:34 PM
  #593
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Whoa, what.

I never thought of the jersey number thing before.

Yeah, Carter's cap numbers are scary, but so are Bryz's. You could make a very strong case that Jeff Carter was a better all-around player than Rick Nash before this year. Carter's NTC was terminated by the trade. Both players have hit so far rock bottom that both of them eventually have to rebound. Coming back here without Richards would have to be startling in certain ways for Carter, I have no idea if it would be good or bad for him as a hockey player and how he would handle it. We would have insane forward depth and solve a lot of our defensive issues down the middle by putting Briere on Carter's wing.
Haha I was reaching a bit sarcastically. Ryan Howard is engaged to one of Jeff Carter's ex's, he didn't actually steal her though to my knowledge. (source: I know the girl from high school)

I actually do think Carter would step up his game a bit just being happy about being out of Columbus. But I do worry about the locker room chemistry. Obviously he has numerous friends here still but some guys didn't waste time leaking stories to the media hurting him and Richards images. Plus as we saw Carter is terrible in the playoffs.

Call me crazy but I would actually rather hold out and see how Bryz does in the playoffs over Carter returning.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:34 PM
  #594
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
If homer actually managed to trade Bryz and got Nash in return....The man deserves a golden crown and throne

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
  #595
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Haha I was reaching a bit sarcastically. Ryan Howard is engaged to one of Jeff Carter's ex's, he didn't actually steal her though to my knowledge. (source: I know the girl from high school)

I actually do think Carter would step up his game a bit just being happy about being out of Columbus. But I do worry about the locker room chemistry. Obviously he has numerous friends here still but some guys didn't waste time leaking stories to the media hurting him and Richards images. Plus as we saw Carter is terrible in the playoffs.

Call me crazy but I would actually rather hold out and see how Bryz does in the playoffs over Carter returning.
What the heck does this girl do that put her in contact with both Carter and Howard?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
  #596
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,977
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by codith View Post
if homer actually managed to trade bryz and got nash in return....the man deserves a golden crown and throne
but he traded scottie upshall

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
  #597
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
but he traded scottie upshall
and resigned Michael Leighton

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
  #598
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
What the heck does this girl do that put her in contact with both Carter and Howard?
I don't know how they all met but she's an Eagles cheerleader. I imagine dancing around half naked at major sporting events is a good way to get noticed haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
and resigned Michael Leighton
Sather got his golden crown and thrown and he signed Wade Redden, Chris Drury, and Scott Gomez

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
  #599
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
and resigned Michael Leighton
No, Paul Holmgren has never made a mistake. See, he's an NHL GM. That gives him magical super-brain powers. We have no right, nor even the ability to criticize anything he does, because his job is essentially wizard's work so far detached from our reality that we can't fathom it deeply enough to judge it.

That is why DFF was completely and 100 percent correct when he defended the Shelley signing while we panned it. Clearly, Holmgren's infinite knowledge allowed him to realize that giving Jody Shelley a 3 year contract at his age would be a genius move. I mean, look at it; that has been a tremendously good use or cap space, right? We should be fortunate to have a GM who doesn't routinely make baffling decisions which serve only to hamstring his successes.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:00 PM
  #600
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Put this in the Bryzgalov thread, figured I'd post it here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Its unfortunate that bryz's inability to live up to expectations is going to lead to the inevitable destruction of what looks like a great young core

Holmgren dug his own grave though. Even if bryz was posting a .920 that contract would still be abysmal.

I wish he had the slather ability to get rid of these awful contracts without gutting the team but I don't see it
Don't sell Homer short. If Sather could pull off that kind of magic, he can too. Look what Homer did this past offseason. I think he could swindle -- no, entice -- Howson into taking the Bryzgalov contract, it just is going to cost one of Couturier or Schenn to make it happen. That's the price the Flyers will have to pay for digging their grave here. Bryz is better off playing in a less visible market where there's no pressure. I firmly believe that. If the Flyers honestly feel they made a mistake -- which they did -- and are willing to bite the situation in the ass before it has a chance to get even worse, they need to do everything possible to make Bryzgalov part of any deal for Rick Nash. As I've thought about it more and more, I realize that I'd love to get to Nash Philadelphia. I think he'd have a Voracek-like career renaissance here, but way better and more impactful. Making that move while unloading Bryz and his contract would be in the best long-term interests of the franchise. As for the NMC, who's to say Bryz wouldn't definitely wouldn't be open to waive it to go somewhere else where he can just focus on playing hockey and being his regular, carefree self? Maybe it'd be a breath of fresh air for him, instead of being hailed as the franchise savior. Bryz could go back to a place where he won't be so virulently "scapegoated" by fans who expect their goalie to be competent, especially when said goalie is being paid as one of the game's best players. Maybe that's what he needs to flourish -- an environment like he had in Phoenix. Besides, Bryz will still make his money, which is really the number one thing he wanted this past offseason (we all saw the reports both before and during his negotiations with the Flyers that he wanted to be paid as one of the top players in the league, not just goalies). I'm just spitballing here, but I'm willing to talk myself into believing this isn't necessarily as crazy as it all sounds.

Bear with me here, as I normally don't go for the trade proposal nonsense. But I'm going to give it a shot with this ridiculous blockbuster. Go big or go home, right?

Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666667M cap hit through 2019-2020)
James van Riemsdyk ($1.654166M; $4.25M starting in '12-13 and running through '17-18)
Braydon Coburn ($4.5M through '15-16) OR Andrej Meszaros ($4M through '13-14)
Brayden Schenn ($3.11M through '13-14) OR Sean Couturier ($1.375M through '13-14)

for

Rick Nash ($7.8M through '17-18)
Steve Mason ($2.9M through '12-13)
Grant Clitsome ($1.25M through '12-13)

That's $11.95M in salary going to the Flyers, and going to the Blue Jackets will be...

a) $14.931M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Coburn, and Schenn
b) $13.196M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Coburn, and Couturier
c) $14.431M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Meszaros, and Schenn
d) $12.696M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Meszaros, and Couturier

Columbus can absorb those figures, and I have a feeling Scott Howson would push for option "d" the most. Trust me, it'd ****ing rip my heart out if the Flyers trade Couturier (I'd be more comfortable if Schenn is the one who goes), but I could live with it in this kind of scenario. That package is a spicy ****ing meatball, but it's the price of doing business when you paint yourself into a corner with an awful free agent signing. I swallow hard and say yes to the offer. ****, I'd even add in Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.875M through end of season, then RFA) OR Erik Gustafsson ($0.900M through '12-13) if the Jackets want either and have the available cap space.

(Perhaps it would also appeal to Columbus that Bryzgalov, even though his cap hit remains the same the entire length of the contract, is coming in with just $41 million real dollars left owed over the next eight years?)

For the Flyers, they add a superstar talent in his prime (turns 28 in June) to go with Claude Giroux as a franchise centerpiece. Imagine what G could do for Nash in light of what he's done for Hartnell. Imagine those two on a line. Are you not drooling? The Flyers could go with the Sergei Bobrovsky-Steve Mason tandem and then reassess the goalie situation going forward because both will be free agents after next season. It can't possibly be worse than anything we've already been subject to in this city.

So, can I play GM? Pretty please?

Nash-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Read-Briere (Read can play center, and I don't want Briere there anymore)
Voracek-Schenn-Simmonds
Rinaldo-Talbot-Wellwood
Shelley

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Kubina
Clitsome-Grossman
Lilja

Bobrovsky
Mason

I could dig it. Plus, there's a lot of flexibility in the form of cap relief on the horizon with Carle, Kubina, and Grossman becoming free agents in the offseason (to go along with Jagr). Voracek will be a RFA. Both Bobrovsky and Mason can finish out the string this season (and hopefully into the playoffs), each getting the opportunity to prove they can be the goalie of the future for the Flyers before the organization decides if it needs to look elsewhere for the next possible franchise goalie. Bob is in just his second year in North America, and Mason won the Calder Trophy in 2008 but has struggled mightily the past three seasons. Perhaps a change of scenery is precisely what he sorely needs as well -- specifically, to go from Columbus to Philadelphia. Mason's days as a Blue Jackets are likely numbered anyway, especially now that he's supposedly running afoul of Todd Richards.

Anywho... flame away.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.