HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it me or are the Habs a better team under Cunney?

Old
02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Right, lets compare a guy in his 3rd season to a guy who was basically told to go coach a struggling team mid season.

And uh, the team struggled to start Martin's 1st year. I'll give him a mulligan for that one. But not in year 3.

Try again
huh... although it's obvious why... you kinda forgot that before the hiring of Connie, we were climbing up the standings...

your hate blinds you.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
isnt that the example provided here by some, that it was OK tobench Eller cause he had ONE bad penalty ?
I dont think that Cunneyworth should be our coach next year so that is a moot point.

Neither Martin nor Cunneyworth were/are right for this team.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Cunneyworth and Martin are very very similar coachs. And both are quite good at it IMO. I know it's not a very popular opinion around here but I think the Habs went as far as they could in Playoffs under Martin and it's what this game is all about.

As for the question asked by OP, I agree with others that It's mainly the^progression of our young players that makes us a better team right now. Cunney, Martin and the assistants all deserves credit for this.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
huh... although it's obvious why... you kinda forgot that before the hiring of Connie, we were climbing up the standings...

your hate blinds you.
Climbing the standings?

They had 3 wins in the last 10 games before he got canned. You must have been too focused on all those blown leads we ended up getting a loser point for.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 02-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:38 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Climbing the standings?

They had 3 wins in the last 10 games before he got canned. You must have been too focused on all those blown leads we ended up getting a loser point for.
2 pts from 8th

3 pts from 15th

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 02-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
02-19-2012, 04:45 PM
MXD

No, not at all as a whole.
Better lately, though.

The spike is more related to Cammalleri's departure.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Kriss, Martin consistently called out his younger players, directly and indirectly.

That was one of his biggest flaws. He was forerver pitting players against each other. Gomez sucked in a game and made numerous errors, mistakes etc, and he still got 20 minutes. A young player made one mistake and rode the pine. Not very motivational.
I don't think he called them out. People forget that Martin is answering questions.
The idea behind his comments is that we have a young team, young players will make mistakes, it's a learning/development curve. There really isn't a whole lot to make out of his comments, but of course, Habs fans being what they are, if they don't like the coach, they will view it as some kind of insult. Even though they know, he's 100% right anyways. We did end up losing some games due to the inexperience of our kids, it's only normal. But god forbid JM said it in public, that would just be evil.

There's no question he gave preferential treatment to his veterans. I disagree about Gomez though, he was give a chance early on, but his ice time started dropping little by little, then he got injured.

But I've said it before there is a huge double standard regarding the coaches. RC benches/scratches Eller, it's all good. When Martin did it, it was because he didn't like youngsters. It's pretty stupid honestly.

I have no problem saying the games are more entertaining under RC, but he isn't better than JM. In any event, I agree, neither will be back, so it doesn't matter. I just hate it when people try to paint a nastier picture of one guy just because they clearly didn't like him. It's childish and dumb.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:19 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
2 pts from 8th

3 pts from 15th
Explain to me how 3 wins in 10 games was "climbing the standings"?

Old
02-19-2012, 07:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'll up this for you guys...go nuts.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:41 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think he called them out. People forget that Martin is answering questions.
The idea behind his comments is that we have a young team, young players will make mistakes, it's a learning/development curve. There really isn't a whole lot to make out of his comments, but of course, Habs fans being what they are, if they don't like the coach, they will view it as some kind of insult. Even though they know, he's 100% right anyways. We did end up losing some games due to the inexperience of our kids, it's only normal. But god forbid JM said it in public, that would just be evil.

There's no question he gave preferential treatment to his veterans. I disagree about Gomez though, he was give a chance early on, but his ice time started dropping little by little, then he got injured.

But I've said it before there is a huge double standard regarding the coaches. RC benches/scratches Eller, it's all good. When Martin did it, it was because he didn't like youngsters. It's pretty stupid honestly.

I have no problem saying the games are more entertaining under RC, but he isn't better than JM. In any event, I agree, neither will be back, so it doesn't matter. I just hate it when people try to paint a nastier picture of one guy just because they clearly didn't like him. It's childish and dumb.
I still believe RC is better than JM. Having said that, I dont think that RC is all that great. We still look like a fire drill on ice with passes going somewhere, everywhere and nowhere in particular.

And I agree with you regarding Eller. He is the future and he should be getting more ice time and more responsibility, not less.

Players are still out of position a lot. But........we are playing with more intensity and are being more aggressive which is a good thing.

As far as the young players, I know that Martin was asked questions. He should have known better than to play along with the media. If they led him to commenting on his young players, he should have shied away from any negativity.

But its water under the bridge and I am looking forward to new blood behind the bench.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Beendair Donedat

So who comes on board next season as coach?

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I still believe RC is better than JM. Having said that, I dont think that RC is all that great. We still look like a fire drill on ice with passes going somewhere, everywhere and nowhere in particular.

And I agree with you regarding Eller. He is the future and he should be getting more ice time and more responsibility, not less.

Players are still out of position a lot. But........we are playing with more intensity and are being more aggressive which is a good thing.

As far as the young players, I know that Martin was asked questions. He should have known better than to play along with the media. If they led him to commenting on his young players, he should have shied away from any negativity.

But its water under the bridge and I am looking forward to new blood behind the bench.
He will get ice time pretty soon. When Habs are 100% sure of NOT making the playoffs.

Two head coaches + 4 assistants cannot be wrong about him. He is not "there" yet.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
drivefor25

Cunny will be gone. I actual think he's a lousy coach. We trade for Bourque and the guy gets no power play time and people are complaining about Bourque''s play. Give the guy a chance to shine just like Cole started to shine once Martin decided to play him more. And what about Cunny's hard-on for Darche? What's Cunny thinking? And what about Gomez playing more than Eller - what has Gomez done to deserve it? Didn't his ass't coach just lash out at Gomez last week - so much for sticking up for your assistant. And lastly - I heard Cunny's press conference tonight and he actually gave excuses for his players...they were tired...what kind of crap is that...29 other teams are in the same situation and you don;t hear the coaches say their players are tired. Sorry- but for me - Cunny should be gone - he's way too inconsistent and soft.

drivefor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He will get ice time pretty soon. When Habs are 100% sure of NOT making the playoffs.

Two head coaches + 4 assistants cannot be wrong about him. He is not "there" yet.
If that's the case then why is he given 5-6minutes of ice time in a game, and then put as the last shooter in the Shootouts?
Why is he at some point in the 3rd period, the least used forward (finished the game as the 2nd least one) but then put out as the extra man with Carey out?
Why is he even placed as the extra man when he gets no PP time??

None of it makes sense. The only solution is that the coaches really just don't know what they're doing with him.

I don't care if he's ''there'' or not. What I can tell you for sure, is that he won't get ''there'' any sooner if we keep limiting him to 5-10min while Darche gets to play 20. It's absolutely senseless.

And I disagree, I think he is there. We just have to stick with him and give him more than the AHL call ups as wingers.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Lions999

RC starting to look like JM, plays the wrong guys more and is switching lines like crazy.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
So who comes on board next season as coach?
Patrick Roy.

With a clause that gives him responsibility for moving players up and down from Hamilton to Montreal and vice versa.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
If that's the case then why is he given 5-6minutes of ice time in a game, and then put as the last shooter in the Shootouts?
Why is he at some point in the 3rd period, the least used forward (finished the game as the 2nd least one) but then put out as the extra man with Carey out?

None of it makes sense. The only solution is that the coaches really just don't know what they're doing with him.

I don't care if he's ''there'' or not. What I can tell you for sure, is that he won't get ''there'' any sooner if we keep limiting him to 5-10min while Darche gets to play 20. It's absolutely senseless.

And I disagree, I think he is there. We just have to stick with him and give him more than the AHL call ups as wingers.
I agree with what you just said here Kriss.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:09 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:

Completely agree with that. Not to mention if he isn't "there yet" why was he good enough to play 15+ minutes a night at the beginning of the season. He's probably a better player now than he was then too.

I think it's pretty clear that Cunneyworth doesn't know how to use Eller (and lots of other players too). Worth noting too, a player like Eller really doesn't fit that well in a dump and chase system so that probably doesn't help if that's how he has to play to "win back his confidence" everytime he makes a mistake.

It's like he came in, he knew Eller was good defensively so he thought the logical thing to do was to use him as his main shutdown center (with the worst defensive player on the roster for a stretch too). It worked on some nights, mainly against teams with bad defence or not that strong of a top line. When it didn't Eller got benched for "not playing the right way" or "accountability" or whatever.

So Cunneyworth finally ended up realising that Plekanec needed to be used in that role. That's good, the problem is that now he doesn't know what to do with Eller, either he's the 1rst line C (in matchups) or he's getting 10 minutes or less a night.

I don't know if to Cunneyworth, Eller not being ready to handle top lines means he's suddenly bad or what but I'm pretty sure the player that ranks 5th on the team in non-PP point despite ranking in the bottom half in TOI per game and linemates that changes every 3 games (and with the exception of AK and LL were mostly grinders and borderline NHLers) who also happens to be a pretty good two-way player (just not against top lines yet) could probably help him at that whole winning hockey games thing.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefor25 View Post
Cunny will be gone. I actual think he's a lousy coach. We trade for Bourque and the guy gets no power play time and people are complaining about Bourque''s play. Give the guy a chance to shine just like Cole started to shine once Martin decided to play him more. And what about Cunny's hard-on for Darche? What's Cunny thinking? And what about Gomez playing more than Eller - what has Gomez done to deserve it? Didn't his ass't coach just lash out at Gomez last week - so much for sticking up for your assistant. And lastly - I heard Cunny's press conference tonight and he actually gave excuses for his players...they were tired...what kind of crap is that...29 other teams are in the same situation and you don;t hear the coaches say their players are tired. Sorry- but for me - Cunny should be gone - he's way too inconsistent and soft.
Yeah, that was pretty bad to hear... even players themselves dont use it as an excuse..

Well, to quote Carbo at l'AC (yeah, had time to kill lol) and kinda agree with him - even though he was doing the same thing when he was coach -> Kostopoulos

gave the example of AK, as he (and I agree) should be the one playing next to Plekanec... since at the end of the year, AK will give you 20+ goals wich is something a guy like Darche will never do... so, LIKE HIM OR NOT, #46 should be the one playing with Bourque and Plekanec...

Old
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Explain to me how 3 wins in 10 games was "climbing the standings"?
I'll help you out...

- we started the season with one of the worst records in the league
- when Connie was hired, we were 2 pts from 8th place...
(may not have climbed in the specific games you mentionned, but it did happen)

- we're now "closing in" on 14th or 15th in the East...

I know you WANT Connie to be a better coach than his predecessor, but he is not. Get over it.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:24 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I'll help you out...

- we started the season with one of the worst records in the league
- when Connie was hired, we were 2 pts from 8th place...
(may not have climbed in the specific games you mentionned, but it did happen)

- we're now "closing in" on 14th or 15th in the East...

I know you WANT Connie to be a better coach than his predecessor, but he is not. Get over it.
Oh, so because the record was so putrid to begin with, 3 wins out of 10 games = climbing the standings.

I WANT Cuney to be a better coach like I did with Jacques but it turns out they both suck.....the only diff is Martin has been doing this for decades and Cunney's been doing it for 2 months. I'm sure Cunney will learn from this....Martin will forever be linked to icing soft teams that underachieved.

At least I gave Cunney a chance....He never had a chance with you...and it had nothing to do with hockey. Go Nords!

Old
02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Oh, so because the record was so putrid to begin with, 3 wins out of 10 games = climbing the standings.

I WANT Cuney to be a better coach like I did with Jacques but it turns out they both suck.....the only diff is Martin has been doing this for decades and Cunney's been doing it for 2 months. I'm sure Cunney will learn from this....Martin will forever be linked to icing soft teams that underachieved.

At least I gave Cunney a chance....He never had a chance with you...and it had nothing to do with hockey. Go Nords!
what now ? Connie never been a HC before ? really ?

considering it's YOU who always bring non hockey stuff to me, I'd stop those retarded comments if I were you. Especially since it's YOU (no surprise) who refuses to "talk hockey" when it comes to Connie...

but just in case you wised up, I'll take my chance and ask again... what are the things Connie does BETTER than his predecessor ? or if you cant find any, what are the things he does well ?