HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He doesn't need to because he has all the skills in the world.

If Louis Leblanc didn't have that drive and intensity, he wouldn't have been drafted.
Lots of guys have all the skill in the world, if they don't have the heart/drive/intensity to go with it they will never carry a team...see Semin Zherdev Filatov and many other examples.

LeBlanc would have gotten drafted on skill alone, just not in the 1st round.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:33 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Lots of guys have all the skill in the world, if they don't have the heart/drive/intensity to go with it they will never carry a team...see Semin Zherdev Filatov and many other examples.

LeBlanc would have gotten drafted on skill alone, just not in the 1st round.
If Grigorenko isn't a hardworker and doesn't have intensity Gauthier won't draft him and Timmins wouldn't want him to either. Apparently Galchenyuk doesn't have a problem with that and he may be available.Whoever they choose I'm confident it will be the best choice available when they choose,look at McDonagh and Pacioretty,Leblanc,Tinordi and Beaulieu as 1st rounders not bad where they were set to pick.With the stakes higher they will be doing their homework extensively before the draft to be sure,the Habs have two of the best people in hockey, judging prospects in Pierre and Trevor.So whether or not Grigorenko has intensity,Louis Leblanc is a Hab and will undoubtedly make his mark for the Habs.Faksa might be the one nobody knows where the Habs are picking as far as I know,so let's just wait for the choice.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:29 AM
KBstyle

I hope we draft Hudon in the later round, i know he's small and maybe not the best skater but he put decent point and his +\- are great. We have what? 2 second rounder?

Old
02-20-2012, 02:18 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBstyle View Post
I hope we draft Hudon in the later round, i know he's small and maybe not the best skater but he put decent point and his+\- are great. We have what? 2 second rounder?
Hudon is ranked by Central Scouting as the 96th NA skater so 4th or 5th round pick.After tonight's game the Habs are in lottery position 5th from the bottom,definitely sellers.So AK,Gomez,Weber, Kaberle,Campoli,Palushaj and Moen are the likely players being moved.Prospects and draft picks added if they are in the Nash trade talks,with the Team Canada prospects at the top of the list.Habs have all the players needed to make a deal,Mason isn't Columbus's problem as much as coaching.So goalies won't be a deal breaker IMO.If it's the problem draft picks could get Vasilevski or Malcolm Subban and when you look at the Habs picks this year they could make a good package for any trade.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-20-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old
02-20-2012, 06:58 AM
WestIslander

I think that we are going to get a pick between 4th overall and 8th overall and I think that we should pick Galchenyuk and try to flip both of pour 2nd round draft picks to Washington for Colorado's 1st round pick and try to also land Reinhart.

Alex Galchenyuk comparable = Marian Hossa
Griffin Reinhart comparable = Shea Weber

Old
02-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Hudon is ranked by Central Scouting as the 96th NA skater so 4th or 5th round pick.After tonight's game the Habs are in lottery position 5th from the bottom,definitely sellers.So AK,Gomez,Weber, Kaberle,Campoli,Palushaj and Moen are the likely players being moved.Prospects and draft picks added if they are in the Nash trade talks,with the Team Canada prospects at the top of the list.Habs have all the players needed to make a deal,Mason isn't Columbus's problem as much as coaching.So goalies won't be a deal breaker IMO.If it's the problem draft picks could get Vasilevski or Malcolm Subban and when you look at the Habs picks this year they could make a good package for any trade.
Whitney of Victo could be a nice 2nd rounder. 6'5" and a good project.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think that we are going to get a pick between 4th overall and 8th overall and I think that we should pick Galchenyuk and try to flip both of pour 2nd round draft picks to Washington for Colorado's 1st round pick and try to also land Reinhart.

Has he come back or is he still injured?

Old
02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Has he come back or is he still injured?
Does it matter? This kid was supposed to be a top two pick this year if he did not get injured, if we get him with #5, #6 or #7 etc. It MIGHT be a steal.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Does it matter? This kid was supposed to be a top two pick this year if he did not get injured, if we get him with #5, #6 or #7 etc. It MIGHT be a steal.
Do you want to draft a potential Markov? I think most scouts and GM's will want to know how the recovery went/ is going before drafting the guy

Old
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Do you want to draft a potential Markov? I think most scouts and GM's will want to know how the recovery went/ is going before drafting the guy
We can only dream that pick will become a Markov

Old
02-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Whitney of Victo could be a nice 2nd rounder. 6'5" and a good project.
I definetely think the Habs will be drafting a goalie in this years draft. It wouldn't surprise me to see one drafted in the 2nd round if we keep our multiple picks.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
I definetely think the Habs will be drafting a goalie in this years draft. It wouldn't surprise me to see one drafted in the 2nd round if we keep our multiple picks.
Not sure if he will still be around in the 2nd round but it would be sweet to draft Subban

Old
02-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Hudon will go much, much higher than his Central Scouting ranking.

All the other rankings, from Bob McKenzie, to ISS, to McKeens, Redline, Hockeyprospectus, hockeyprospect.com, future considerations, etc... have him as a 2nd rounder at worst, and some have him as a late 1st rounder.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 02-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Based on last year, two 2nd rounders will get you a pick in the 20s, not in 10-14 range.

See Ottawa's trade to get Puempel. And the Leafs who gave up a 2nd and the late 1st to get to 22.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Hudon is most likely a first rounder. The draft is shallow, so a raw offensive talent like that won't go unnoticed for long.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Hudon is most likely a first rounder. The draft is shallow, so a raw offensive talent like that won't go unnoticed for long.
Can't see it. He is comparable to Pageau but not as good a skater. Pageau was a 4th round pick

The draft is shallow in terms of the bottom half to 2/3 of the 1st round. I find the 2nd round is full of guys who could be very good NHLers like Matheson, Nieves, Makarov Whitney, Bussieres, Thrower, Hertl, Matteau and Melindy.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:40 AM
VanNistelrooy

Pageau offensive talent is half what can Hudon do.

Quote:
Can't see it. He is comparable to Pageau but not as good a skater. Pageau was a 4th round pick

The draft is shallow in terms of the bottom half to 2/3 of the 1st round. I find the 2nd round is full of guys who could be very good NHLers like Matheson, Nieves, Makarov Whitney, Bussieres, Thrower, Hertl, Matteau and Melindy.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Beakermania*

I dont know that this draft is as shallow as everyone is saying.

There have just been too many injuries causing guys to get limited viewings or to fall due to injury concerns.

This is going to be a funny draft due to this and some good players will fall farther than they otherwise should, but I still think there is a lot of potential talent, and I want Timmins to have all the picks necessary to do his job (trade ups, trade downs, or make the picks themselves).

Old
02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Pageau offensive talent is half what can Hudon do.
Pageau's draft year 67 GP 32-47-79
Hudon this year 49 GP 24-36-60

Granted Hudon is a true 17 yaer old and Pageau was a late birthday, but Hudon has a better supporting cast than Pageau did last year.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

Every draft has a bunch of guys that look like potential NHLers in the second.

A deep draft has 1st round talent slipping into the second.

And Hudon is a much better player than Pageau. He was the second scorer of the U17 tourny last year for ****s sake.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Every draft has a bunch of guys that look like potential NHLers in the second.

A deep draft has 1st round talent slipping into the second.

And Hudon is a much better player than Pageau. He was the second scorer of the U17 tourny last year for ****s sake.
Just for fun I looked back at the 2005 U17 to see the stats...scoring #1 was Jon Toews...#2 was Kyle Bortis...Kyle who?

He plays CIS for U of Saskatchewan after a solid WHL career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80380

Just to show that you can judge talent only on the basis of one tournament.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Right now we pick 5th.
Columbus - Nail Yakupov (Obvious)
Edmonton - Ryan Murray (Need D)
Carolina - Forsberg (think they go for the power winger alongside Staal)
Buffalo - Mikhail Grigorenko (Big Center is needed in Buffalo)
Montreal - Galchenyuk.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Beakermania*

Buffalo is almost surely going for a Centre too. They are 1 pt behind us with 1 game in hand. Falling below them should be an important goal for all tankers.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Patty Roy

Wonder if the Habs might consider trading both 2nd rounders to get in to the mid 20s and take a shot on Malcom Subban if he's still available?

Old
02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Wonder if the Habs might consider trading both 2nd rounders to get in to the mid 20s and take a shot on Malcom Subban if he's still available?
I'm not sure that would be great idea to trade up to draft a goalie. I know that Carey being with us for the next 5-6 years is far from being a sure thing but 2-3 years is pretty realistic.

I think that drafting the top goalie in a draft year has to be done if you need a goalie ASAP. This is not our case. I don't mind draft one with one of our 2nd round pick (Subban, Vasilevski or the 6'5'' one???) if they are available cause we really need to add some goalies to our prospect pool, but spending a 1st round pick on one is a very bad idea IMO.

Closed Thread