HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lavi Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I think people look at coaches way to black and white. The road to a cup is not a loan 1 way road. It can be reached through many different routes.

Many different systems can win a cup. But each system requires a capable coach as well as a group of players that are fit for the system and their roles as well as chemistry not only with their teammates but the coach.

Torts is a good coach but keep in mind player polls repeatedly have him voted as the coach players least want to play for. His overly aggressive ball busting style also ran out of favor in Tampa Bay when numerous players on his roster simply got sick of it well after they had won a cup.

Ether way Lavi isn't the issue. If anything he has done a great job getting a lot out of a team that has numerous raw developed prospects and getting the most out of guys like Hartnell and Simmonds (keep in mind Hartnell started off terribly and many wanted him traded or cut in ice time but he moved him up to line 1 and we know the rest).
Either way, if people are going to constantly suggest that it's the coaching that's the problem, a solution must be running through the thought process.

Also, Torts hasn't been pointed to as a coach people don't want to play for. He's been the guy who is pointed to as getting the most out of his players. And for good reason - he gets results. He wasn't even fired from Tampa Bay for a legitimate reason, and he has a few ex-Lightning players playing for him right now. Guy can coach my team if he wants. Watching him to go war with Timmy would be worth it even if the team is awful.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Tim Tebow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Either way, if people are going to constantly suggest that it's the coaching that's the problem, a solution must be running through the thought process.

Also, Torts hasn't been pointed to as a coach people don't want to play for. He's been the guy who is pointed to as getting the most out of his players. And for good reason - he gets results. He wasn't even fired from Tampa Bay for a legitimate reason, and he has a few ex-Lightning players playing for him right now. Guy can coach my team if he wants. Watching him to go war with Timmy would be worth it even if the team is awful.
Torts was on both lists. I double checked now since I was speaking off memory. The last poll Torts was voted as the coach who gets the most out of his players, Ron Wilson was voted the coach players least want to play for with Torts coming in 2nd.

I am not saying every player on Tampa hated him, I am saying he had numerous guys on that team get sick of him. That wasn't a secret. When a team is winning people will be fine with it but when a team struggles sometimes personalities like Tortorella's will just be like throwing gas on a fire. Different players respond to different things. Like I said Torts is a good coach but not every player will work with him.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

My problem with Lavi started last year. He was outcoached in the Boston series, he had last change for 2 games yet kept putting Briere's line against Krejci's even though they were getting killed. When it's something as basic as line match ups when you have last change, that's a pretty glaring mistake.

He doesn't believe practising the shoot out is important, yet we keep losing points because our shooters suck and our goalies can't stop a beachball in the shoot out. WTF? Practise the damned shootout! It's part of the game, most fans hate it and I'm sure most players and coaches hate it but it's there and you have to make the most of it.

He doesn't coach defense and his team is never ready for afternoon games. Totally inexcusable.

The up-tempo style he coaches really does nothing for the defensive part of the game. Sure, we score lots of goals, or at least did in the first half, but there is no responsibility being put on the defensive game.

I loved Lavi in 2010, it was so great to see a coach who was the polar opposite of Stevens, but there are big issues with a lot of what he does and he is too stubborn to change things that aren't working.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
My problem with Lavi started last year. He was outcoached in the Boston series, he had last change for 2 games yet kept putting Briere's line against Krejci's even though they were getting killed. When it's something as basic as line match ups when you have last change, that's a pretty glaring mistake.

He doesn't believe practising the shoot out is important, yet we keep losing points because our shooters suck and our goalies can't stop a beachball in the shoot out. WTF? Practise the damned shootout! It's part of the game, most fans hate it and I'm sure most players and coaches hate it but it's there and you have to make the most of it.

He doesn't coach defense and his team is never ready for afternoon games. Totally inexcusable.

The up-tempo style he coaches really does nothing for the defensive part of the game. Sure, we score lots of goals, or at least did in the first half, but there is no responsibility being put on the defensive game.

I loved Lavi in 2010, it was so great to see a coach who was the polar opposite of Stevens, but there are big issues with a lot of what he does and he is too stubborn to change things that aren't working.
In all fairness the Briere line wasn't the downfall of the Flyers in that series. In 4 games they were outscored 20-7. No one else was doing any better. Every other Flyers line was easily in the minus. You can say we were out coached but I don't think Jesus himself could have saved that team as a coach. They were over matched in every asset of the game.

The shootout is a decent point but our skaters do average. The issue is the goalies who are dead last in save percentage. Not sure if that is a pure coach issue though. Bryz is letting in weak stuff in the games too. You would figure if he could fix that he would.

The afternoon games is a weird thing to hold against him in my opinion. How exactly do you propose he fixes this? I mean last year he did try the Dry Island thing which was suppose to help players focus and commit but obviously players don't have to honor it even the team leaders rejected it. But yeah how does a coach make his team play better in afternoon games?

I think the defensive shots are blind comments. The Flyers are the #25 defense this season. Last season they were #11. This isn't Lavy not coaching defense this is Lavy running a defense that has no Chris Pronger, 2 rookies playing on defense most nights, no more center strength we now have Giroux and Briere both defensive liabilities and 2 more rookies with Schenn and Couturier with Talbot occasionally filling in. In addition Jagr also a poor defensive player. Not to mention all the weak goals given up by the goalies. This isn't the coach this is a team that doesn't have much defensive talent on it.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Torts was on both lists. I double checked now since I was speaking off memory. The last poll Torts was voted as the coach who gets the most out of his players, Ron Wilson was voted the coach players least want to play for with Torts coming in 2nd.

I am not saying every player on Tampa hated him, I am saying he had numerous guys on that team get sick of him. That wasn't a secret. When a team is winning people will be fine with it but when a team struggles sometimes personalities like Tortorella's will just be like throwing gas on a fire. Different players respond to different things. Like I said Torts is a good coach but not every player will work with him.
Well, as noted, he gets results. No coach is perfect, but maybe some of those who don't want to play for him are players who teams don't really need if they want to win.

Quote:

He's not the "best coach in the league" as you would hear some of the media peddle. There are mistakes - he was outcoached by Claude Julien without question last year, but he still does not have the personnel to get to where this team thinks they are. That isn't his fault. Giroux is one of the league's leading scorers, and Hartnell went from being run out of town to a top-line player. He certainly got all he could out of Ville Leino. And he made Michael Leighton a few extra bucks, got to the Finals with him and Boucher, along with essentially 4 defensemen. The 2010 Flyers had no business in the Finals, we were a real NHL goaltender away. On the flip side, no coach has ever gotten Danny Briere to backcheck, no reason to think why he would start now.

The team was ahead of schedule rebuilding whether they want to admit it or not, so in that sense he's done the best he can with what he has. It's some of the veteran defensemen on this team who don't get the job done, if we're looking past the goalie as it is its own issue. He did find a way to get the job done with a rookie goalie having aging stiffs in front of him for defensemen. Carle and Coburn have been playing this system for a while now, Meszaros for almost two years.

They're the guys who everyone feels let down by - guys who are supposed to know what they're doing, not all the green players who aren't good enough and/or experienced enough yet to cover up their mistakes. He is not responsible for sub-par personnel.

He makes mistakes, but I'm not going to hold him accountable for not having the players after losing the 2 best defensive forwards, replacing them with rookies, losing a Hall of Fame defenseman, and a $51M goaltender who literally has his head in the clouds.

This team is ahead of where people thought they would be in July.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Well, as noted, he gets results. No coach is perfect, but maybe some of those who don't want to play for him are players who teams don't really need if they want to win.
Well that was somewhat what my point was, many coaches are good enough to produce a cup worthy product and they all do it in different ways. But they need the correct players to buy into the system.

I don't think it's that black and white. I am sure some players who don't have a big heart dedicated to winning did vote for him but I am sure many still wanted to win.

You can look all over sports and you will see mixed reactions to players and coaches who are that intense. Players have said while it get get the most out of you it can also wear you down mentally and physically over a season or seasons. Some say it becomes so regular that it loses it's purpose and becomes the normal, the less frequently a coach loses it the more meaning it has when the coach does.

It's like this in all sports. You can even look at the Phillies. Charlie Manuel is a players manager who gets the most out of his players without screaming everything. Larry Bowa screamed everything and half his clubhouse hated him. Sometimes yelling and being aggressive gets the most out of some players, sometimes just explaining and telling a player what you want with positive reinforcement gets the most out of them. People are all different.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Well that was somewhat what my point was, many coaches are good enough to produce a cup worthy product and they all do it in different ways. But they need the correct players to buy into the system.

I don't think it's that black and white. I am sure some players who don't have a big heart dedicated to winning did vote for him but I am sure many still wanted to win.

You can look all over sports and you will see mixed reactions to players and coaches who are that intense. Players have said while it get get the most out of you it can also wear you down mentally and physically over a season or seasons. Some say it becomes so regular that it loses it's purpose and becomes the normal, the less frequently a coach loses it the more meaning it has when the coach does.

It's like this in all sports. You can even look at the Phillies. Charlie Manuel is a players manager who gets the most out of his players without screaming everything. Larry Bowa screamed everything and half his clubhouse hated him. Sometimes yelling and being aggressive gets the most out of some players, sometimes just explaining and telling a player what you want with positive reinforcement gets the most out of them. People are all different.
I don't doubt any of this, but I do think there are legit concerns with players who don't want to play for a coach who has proven to get results. Of course, there are those select few where it would never mesh regardless.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I didn't even realize until watching the DVR today that the Flyers got outshot 14-2 in the first ten minutes of the third period on Saturday.

So two teams in a historic and heated division rivalry with nearly identical records go into their respective locker rooms tied 3-3 after two periods, then one comes out and rages, while the other looks like they spent the intermission chasing Valiums with Old Milwaukee.

14-2!!!!!

It's time to question whether this guy has control any longer. Or if his control is really worth anything. That first part of the third period was an embarrassment.
Still waiting on your list of coaches who could do better.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Snipsnap12

Lavi is in the upper echelon of coaches in the league... He has a stanley cup ring in Carolina of all places and took us to game 6 of the finals.

We are having a bad stretch... every team has them

The only coach I would take over Lavi currently is Babcock

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:18 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:

This is pretty much spot on with what I believe too. Homer kept Stevens a little too long and I believe if the Flyers don't show much improvement this season Lavy will be gone in the off season. You can't just keep going through new players that you hope will buy into his style of coaching and expect the team to play top hockey.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:52 AM
TheLegendkiller

I'd like to see a list of replacements from some of you guys.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:35 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I'd like to see a list of replacements from some of you guys.
That's not our job, it's management's. We're just commenting on what we see. I loved Lavi in 2010, I remember telling a friend that if there was a Lavi Flyers' sweater out there I would have bought it, but he has made too many puzzling decisions since then.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:43 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
In all fairness the Briere line wasn't the downfall of the Flyers in that series. In 4 games they were outscored 20-7. No one else was doing any better. Every other Flyers line was easily in the minus. You can say we were out coached but I don't think Jesus himself could have saved that team as a coach. They were over matched in every asset of the game.

The shootout is a decent point but our skaters do average. The issue is the goalies who are dead last in save percentage. Not sure if that is a pure coach issue though. Bryz is letting in weak stuff in the games too. You would figure if he could fix that he would.

The afternoon games is a weird thing to hold against him in my opinion. How exactly do you propose he fixes this? I mean last year he did try the Dry Island thing which was suppose to help players focus and commit but obviously players don't have to honor it even the team leaders rejected it. But yeah how does a coach make his team play better in afternoon games?

I think the defensive shots are blind comments. The Flyers are the #25 defense this season. Last season they were #11. This isn't Lavy not coaching defense this is Lavy running a defense that has no Chris Pronger, 2 rookies playing on defense most nights, no more center strength we now have Giroux and Briere both defensive liabilities and 2 more rookies with Schenn and Couturier with Talbot occasionally filling in. In addition Jagr also a poor defensive player. Not to mention all the weak goals given up by the goalies. This isn't the coach this is a team that doesn't have much defensive talent on it.
I can't address all points cause I'm heading out but regarding the goalies crapping the bed in the shootout, it's simple, practise it. The goalies are the guys with all the pressure in the shootout because they're out there by themselves till it's over. Shooters are out there for 5 seconds each and they're done. If the goalies can't practise, they don't have confidence.

Dry Island was stupid and intrusive in players' lives. When the story came out it was done so to make Richards and Carter look bad, but without naming names Richards said veterans didn't sign up for it. So we can assume that Kimmo, Pronger, Briere and others also didn't join. It was a stupid idea that had no benefit except to cause a rift in the team.

With Lavi's decision to put Briere on against Krejci, yeah, it likely wouldn't have made a difference but when something is so obviously not working and it's in your control to fix it, fix it. Instead, he kept throwing out there to get smoked.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:00 AM
DUHockey9

I lean heavily on the side of practicing the shootout. It's a part of the game now, so it should be something you practice imo. However, the other week they interviewed Tim Thomas after a shootout win and asked him why he was so good. He essentially said something along the lines of...last year they practiced all the time and he was bad. He convinced them to not practice and now he's doing well.

I guess every player is different. I still think it should be practiced with at least some sort of regularity; if only to make sure you know which of your guys can do it, and to let guys attempt new moves. Maybe not everyday, but at least once a week.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

That's the way it seems to me, too.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The System: Roles and responsibilities per Meltzer

Found this interesting

Quote:
The forwards also need to do a much better job defensively -- and that means everyone from Claude Giroux on down has to turn up their focus on aiding the defensemen and goalies. The lip service has been there constantly, but the delivery has been sporadic.

Forwards' lack of attention to defensive detail is NOT "Lavy's system." It stems from players not keeping their feet moving and not bearing down. Guess what: Most of the time, playing that way not show up too well in the GF column, either.

The team's top six forwards have often been equal and sometimes bigger culprits in issues for which the netminders and blueliners have taken all the heat. When the Giroux and Briere lines are clicking, they've got their feet moving and are dogged in their puck pursuit. When they're not, they pile up the defensive minuses and the offensive haul is much more modest as well.

As for the goaltenders, well, the Flyers cannot be afraid to have the puck cross their own blueline. If Ilya Bryzgalov and Sergei Bobrovsky don't hold up their end of the bargain, it doesn't matter what else the team does. Bad goaltending will drag everything else down with it, just as surely as clutch goaltending uplifts a team and inspires it play that much harder in front of them.

It is not expecting too much to ask for routine saves and the occasional tougher -- but still makeable -- save. No team in the world can play perfect defense. Turnovers will happen. Coverages will break down. Other teams will simply make good plays and create some scoring chances where no one is to "blame." That when the goalies need to carry the load.

Goalies also sometimes need to be the ones who hold their team close or equal when it gets outplayed early in a game. Slow starts have been a problem for the Flyers the last few months, especially at home. That's a team-wide problem that for which everyone needs to take accountability -- Peter Laviolette, the forwards, the defense and the goalies.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...22012/45/42348

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
That's not our job, it's management's. We're just commenting on what we see. I loved Lavi in 2010, I remember telling a friend that if there was a Lavi Flyers' sweater out there I would have bought it, but he has made too many puzzling decisions since then.
Agree with that. When a team is underperforming everyone should be a fair game for evaluation. Coaches, regardless how brilliant they are, should be included in criticism.

As for the Lavi's SC ring- it's a greatest accomplishment in sports.

Ken Hitchkock had one, but he was run out of town.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Found this interesting
Funny how I've been saying that all along; that the forwards are causing a lot more of the problems defensively than the defensemen. That the goalies are the ones really dragging the team down.

Meltzer puts it out and suddenly it's interesting.

Realistically though, what were people expecting when Carter and Richards were taken off the middle of this team?

Either way it's not Laviolette's system, or team defense for that matter. Bryzgalov plays like a starting goaltender, and we don't have these problems.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

It was a scant few years ago that everything that went wrong with the team was on the coach. Now nothing is his fault.

Skeptical.

Let's make sure that we get it right. Two teams went into the second intermission on Saturday tied 3-3. One came out and took the game over, outshooting their opposition by 14-2 in the first ten minutes of the third period. The other came out and looked outclassed.

14-2

Try as anyone, Bill Meltzer included, might, that simply cannot be placed on traded centericemen or the weak mental constitution of a funny talking goaltender.

That's a coaching failure.

Period.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

This makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Forwards' lack of attention to defensive detail is NOT "Lavy's system."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...22012/45/42348
Jaromir Jagr just got done saying if they surrender 4 goals it doesn't necessarily mean they played badly. That kind of spoken opinion is the product of culture, and system.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It was a scant few years ago that everything that went wrong with the team was on the coach. Now nothing is his fault.

Skeptical.

Let's make sure that we get it right. Two teams went into the second intermission on Saturday tied 3-3. One came out and took the game over, outshooting their opposition by 14-2 in the first ten minutes of the third period. The other came out and looked outclassed.

14-2

Try as anyone, Bill Meltzer included, might, that simply cannot be placed on traded centericemen or the weak mental constitution of a funny talking goaltender.

That's a coaching failure.

Period.
I saw a team that should've been leading 3-1 coming out and getting demolished.

Try as Lavi might, it's not easy to motivate a team with a sieve in the pipes.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

I really like meltzer! His calm and down to earth like journalism really is enjoyable.
And i often agrees with him, more than i donīt.

And Chris, donīt blame other for accept Meltzers opinion more than yours... Enjoy the fact that Meltzer has the same opinion than you Itīs the way i make it myself

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
I really like meltzer! His calm and down to earth like journalism really is enjoyable.
And i often agrees with him, more than i donīt.

And Chris, donīt blame other for accept Meltzers opinion more than yours... Enjoy the fact that Meltzer has the same opinion than you Itīs the way i make it myself
People don't always believe me...

...but when they do it's because Meltzer said it later.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:51 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I saw a team that should've been leading 3-1 coming out and getting demolished.
By your standards, the score should've been 1-1, since both of Jagr's goals were softies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Try as Lavi might, it's not easy to motivate a team with a sieve in the pipes.
Oh well if it's not easy then nevermind.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

JXC, what happened to the coach being blameless and all the fault lying with the players?