HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Previously...

Old
02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
MW6

Well, I don't really feel good about entering next season with Neuvy and Holtby, the way they've been performing this season. And Vokoun isn't very likely to return, atleast not as cheap. So a goalie should be made a priority IMO.

Raymond is fast and seems in desperate need of a change of scenario. He shouldn't be expecting a raise since he can't back it up with stats, in which case we'd get plenty bang-for-buck. The playoff thing is a little worrisome.

hmm, maybe play Orlov-Green, Carlzner, Hamrlik-Ballard and then "Nylander" (send him to the minors) Ballard if he doesn't cut it at the beginning of next season.

Wideman could surely bring back some picks, but is that really what the Caps need? Ward's contract is going to be hard to move, so if there's a way out i think they should take it. Neuvirth's value isn't very high, could Caps get Schneider to be their 1A with Holtby as their 1B for the future I'd jump on it.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
txpd

@halpy....you base this comment, "So... basically... the type of season Wideman was having with Florida until we acquired him

Wideman for a 1st and a 3rd with Zidlicky for a 3rd coming in the same day would be a pretty epic power play." on what exactly?

wideman had 9 goals and 33pts in 61 games when the caps got him. his 8 ppgs was league leader in ppg's on defense.

zidlicky has 9pp points going back to the start of 2010-11. what about him replacing wideman makes the team better?...or epic?

Old
02-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Halpysback

Wideman had 9 goals and 33 points and still went to a division rival for practically no return. Despite the points he was being seen as brutal by Tallon and pretty much all other GMs.

Zidlicky's not being as offensively good this year but he's pretty much been blacklisted by his coach, even moreso than Wideman in Florida. He's still a pretty good buy low candidate in the right system.

Replacing Wideman with Zidlicky while getting something like 1st and Urbom/Palmieri from NJ (type of trade they seem to be ok/on the fence with) lets us get pretty good return for Wideman while also cheaply filling a good bit of that skillset (assuming interest in Zidlicky is no bigger than in was in Wideman last year, and it's probably at a point where we could do Schultz straight up for him). I'd gamble on Zidlicky raising his game enough post-trade to at least be a somewhat adequate replacement if it got us good assets going forward. Swapping Wideman for Zidlicky isn't gonna make or break this season, though losing that element from the lineup entirely definitely makes us vulnerable.

FWIW, prior to this year when he basically got Schultz'd by Yeo, Zidlicky had over 40/was on pace for over 40 points for 4 years straight. He's on pace for 26 with a team that's not even trying to use him properly. I could see him get to a 35-40 point pace in our system quite easily with Hamrlik as a partner.

Old
02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Halpysback

Ward's contract shouldn't be that hard to move. A lot of teams were bidding on close to 3 million, and if he has a good playoff run we could probably get a 2nd for him. Even if not, he's a 2 million dollar intangibles player on a 3 million dollar deal. Florida and the like would have no problem taking him.

Having Cole instead would be pretty amazing right now though.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:00 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Having Cole instead would be pretty amazing right now though.
ugh please don't remind me I was huge for Cole over Ward

Old
02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
hb11xchamps

With the returns the defensemen have been getting lately I believe we will be able to net a good return from Wideman and a decent return for Schultz.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Halpysback

Not with Schultz's contract

Old
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
G3 LesPaul

Well, the Jets are gonna be in 2nd after tonight.

Can't believe it. I cannot believe we downgraded this much in one year

Old
02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Well, the Jets are gonna be in 2nd after tonight.

Can't believe it. I cannot believe we downgraded this much in one year
Wahhhhh, one point, three games in hand.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
Wahhhhh, one point, three games in hand.
We have a tendency to lose one then win one. Its gonna be very hard

Also. I am totally okay with selling Wideman based on what we can get for him.

We already have 8 defensemen. If we sell him, we can get a good profit for next year and maybe this year

Old
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
We have a tendency to lose one then win one. Its gonna be very hard

Also. I am totally okay with selling Wideman based on what we can get for him.

We already have 8 defensemen. If we sell him, we can get a good profit for next year and maybe this year
Agree on Wideman, but laughably disagree with being worried about the Jets.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
Agree on Wideman, but laughably disagree with being worried about the Jets.
Ehhh...this team lost to a Tampa Bay team in sell mode...so, I'd say they should be worried about every team.

If the Caps brass really wants this team to make the playoffs this year you would think they would try to bring in help sooner than later. But who knows, maybe they have foregone that this just isn't their year.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Carlzner

If we sell and get another first for Wideman that pretty much guarantees us Yakupov.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKonoForever View Post
Ehhh...this team lost to a Tampa Bay team in sell mode...so, I'd say they should be worried about every team.

If the Caps brass really wants this team to make the playoffs this year you would think they would try to bring in help sooner than later. But who knows, maybe they have foregone that this just isn't their year.
That Tampa team put up 6 in beating San Jose.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'm glad people are coming around to my side of the Wideman debate. It won't break my heart if we don't trade him at the deadline, but I think we could fetch a nice haul. Hell, it even frees up $4M to make acquisitions if we don't want to be "sellers."

Even if we keep him, we should trade him at the draft.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
If we sell and get another first for Wideman that pretty much guarantees us Yakupov.
Disregarding the fact that that's not even true, we need another winger why?

Old
02-20-2012, 12:26 AM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Disregarding the fact that that's not even true, we need another winger why?
That high, you draft best available, not most needed.

If you're picking first and skipping over Yakupov, you need to re-analyze.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
That high, you draft best available, not most needed.

If you're picking first and skipping over Yakupov, you need to re-analyze.
Uhh in his scenario we would trade 3 1sts for Yakupov, or that's what's implied at least. You don't do that when W is strength, re-analyze the GM if he considers it.

Last edited by Capitlols: 02-20-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Uhh in his scenario we would trade 3 1sts for Yakupov, or that's what's implied at least. You don't do that when W is strength, re-analyze the GM if he considers it.
There's no such thing as strength when it comes to players of that caliber. At worst you turn around and trade him for an equivalent player at the position you need. But generally those players push your other depth at the same position out of the picture and you trade that and build around them.

And yes, with Ovechkin slumping and Semin uncertain to stick around, we could use another dynamic winger, especially one who plays like Yakupov.

That said Columbus or Edmonton or whoever aren't gonna trade first overall for 3 firsts that aren't in the top 5. That's beyond wishful thinking. All one of them has to imagine is trading Stamkos, Tavares, RNH for 3 lower players from those drafts and they'd be huddled in the corner crying at the thought.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:02 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
What are you drinking?

Anyway, no way I see McPhee ready to throw in the towel on the season when we're close. Can't believe so many fans here ARE ready to throw in the towel.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
saba

Send a message via Yahoo to saba
Caps fans your overvaluing Wideman. Don't go on precedent as the defensman traded so far were by silly minded teams or fit a need. The longer McPhee waits the less his deadline return will be. There is a reason teams have let Dennis go in the past, other GM know this and one all star appearance is not going to change that.

In the salary cap world a 3.5 million 4th liner like Ward is a luxury and not a valuable asset for 90% of the teams out there. Your best bets are FLA, PHX, and what do you really expect out of those teams for what Ward brings night in and night out?

Everyone is offering Kraft slices and expecting Camembert!

Old
02-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by saba View Post
Caps fans your overvaluing Wideman. Don't go on precedent as the defensman traded so far were by silly minded teams or fit a need. The longer McPhee waits the less his deadline return will be. There is a reason teams have let Dennis go in the past, other GM know this and one all star appearance is not going to change that.
The longer he waits the less the return will be? History usually indicates otherwise, as the price of players goes up towards the deadline. Especially when demand exceeds supply.

It's also a seller's market and Wideman fits plenty of teams' needs (some of which are "silly minded"). Chicago, New York, New Jersey, and Calgary are all looking to make the playoffs and have powerplay operating at under 17% and room to upgrade their blue lines.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
What are you drinking?

Anyway, no way I see McPhee ready to throw in the towel on the season when we're close. Can't believe so many fans here ARE ready to throw in the towel.
The one "glaring" issue that's missing from your response and much of this thread is the health of one Nicklas Backstrom. Whether we will see Backstrom again in a Capitals sweater this season is still the great unknown. Furthermore, with the return of Mike Green to the team, I suggest that Caps fans take a trip on over to Cap Geek and get a look at the Caps budget. The team now has less than 1 million cap room, so forget about any transactions to improve this team.

So if the team makes the playoffs its with this roster and if it moves forward its with this roster. Could this current roster take one or two playoff series without Backstrom? Possibly. Could this team make it to the ECF without Backstrom? Highly unlikely. So do you keep Wideman in the event that the team makes the playoffs and we can get to play in one or two playoff series and then Wideman can go on his merry way or do you trade him now and obtain assets that might serve as currency to acquire the likes of a Tyutin in the off season. The latter is the option that I think is best for the Caps.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:32 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The longer he waits the less the return will be? History usually indicates otherwise, as the price of players goes up towards the deadline. Especially when demand exceeds supply.

I was extremely confused as well. So by waiting until the other team's are desperate to make "their move", somehow the price goes down? Right. I say sit on Wideman until an hour before the deadline and send him packing.

Closed Thread