HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Columbus - Florida

Old
02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Columbus - Florida

To Columbus:

C Mike Santorelli
D Keaton Ellerby
2012 4th

To Florida:

C Antoine Vermette

It's no secret the Jackets are shopping Vermette. The Panthers could use an upgrade at center and need offense. Vermette's slightly overpaid for how he's played this year but he's still capable of being able to score 40-50 points. Responsible defensively and should pot about 20 goals a year. He can play both center and wing as well. Good at the dot and a stable PKer.

Columbus could use a young defenseman with some potential. Ellerby's got size but hasn't really established himself as anything more than a bottom-pairing NHL defenseman at this point. Santorelli's included to send salary back.

I know the Panthers have Huberdeau and Bjugstad in the pipeline but I think Vermette could be a good addition to help in a lot of areas right now, at the cost of a guy that could be the odd man out on defense and a center worth upgrading, along with the 4th.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

wheres the dotted line ill sign.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:53 PM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

vCash: 50
Don't follow either teams but seems like spare parts for a vert very good centerman in Vermette

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:56 PM
TorontoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Don't follow either teams but seems like spare parts for a vert very good centerman in Vermette

think Ellerby is solid.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
It's not that bad a deal. Santorelli had 20 goals last year and he's 26. Ellerby is 6'5, 220.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

not a terrible deal...we may need a higher pick, but can't say i know much about either player than that they are serviceable...but a big dman would be nice if he's reliable and, i don't know...plays defense

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post

To Columbus:

C Mike Santorelli
D Keaton Ellerby
2012 4th

To Florida:

C Antoine Vermette

It's no secret the Jackets are shopping Vermette. The Panthers could use an upgrade at center and need offense. Vermette's slightly overpaid for how he's played this year but he's still capable of being able to score 40-50 points. Responsible defensively and should pot about 20 goals a year. He can play both center and wing as well. Good at the dot and a stable PKer.

Columbus could use a young defenseman with some potential. Ellerby's got size but hasn't really established himself as anything more than a bottom-pairing NHL defenseman at this point. Santorelli's included to send salary back.

I know the Panthers have Huberdeau and Bjugstad in the pipeline but I think Vermette could be a good addition to help in a lot of areas right now, at the cost of a guy that could be the odd man out on defense and a center worth upgrading, along with the 4th.
Here's a counter:

To FLA

Vermette

To CBJ

Panthers 2012 1st round pick

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Congo Jack
Get lost Pavarotti!

I like this deal actually, good proposal!

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
AV50

Has Ellerby not exactly panned out like planned?

AV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Seems quite well thought out.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I thought about this one and it seemed to make sense for both sides so I figured I'd share it. It addresses both teams' needs and both teams seem to get what they're currently looking for.

As for Ellerby, Panthers fans will have to enlighten us about his exact scouting report, but to my knowledge, this is what I have gathered about him:

He's big, as you can tell by his size, and has a long reach. A pretty good skater for a big guy and still pretty young at age 23. His potential is to be a top 4 defenseman, probably something along the lines of a second-pairing guy. He's been the 7th defenseman, but the Panthers have been rotating defensemen in and out of the lineup so some nights he plays and some nights he's in the press box. He's gotten more chances to play now with Kulikov, Garrison, and Jovo being hurt but normally would be the healthy scratch with Garrison, Campbell, Gudbranson, Jovo, Weaver, and Kulikov all healthy.

The three injured Panthers on defense would have to be close to returning for this trade to be made, but that isn't out of the question for next Monday. All three seem to be close.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

No way. Vermette is an overpaid 30 something player with a lot if term left on his contract. Exactly the type of player Tallon recently said he has no interest in. We don't need vermette clogging up our payroll for the next few years.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:22 AM
CoolburnIsGone

I agree that this trade makes sense from both sides. Florida needs another guy like Vermette and gives up players that are not significant to a playoff run. Here's my analysis of both FL guys in the offer:

Ellerby has size and can use it as well (though needs to do that more at times), can skate VERY well for a guy his size but will be mostly a defensive d-man when fully developed. His progress has gone as expected and he's basically panning out. The only issue that prevent him from being a #3/4 guy is the Panthers current depth on the blue line as Rivet52 noted. He's a RFA at yrs end but most likely wont be asking for too much

Santorelli hasnt been the same this yr but its most likely due to the shoulder injury he suffered in the offseason and missing the 1st month of the season. He's kinda a tweener forward in my view: not quite good enough offensively for a permanent 2nd line role and not good enough defensively to play a 3rd line role. He could be a decent stop gap as a 2nd line center like FL was using him as last yr. He has a good shot too if he can get into the slot and open. With his shot, he could be a better option at wing since he's a rightie. He's signed for next yr at $1.6M and if he can score in the 15-20 goal range again, seems like a good pickup for Columbus.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:04 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Not bad, but I'd like to keep Ellerby.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote