HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2012, 10:02 PM
  #51
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner
 
The Four Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
He must have deleted it because it isn't there anymore.

The Four Seven is online now  
Old
02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
  #52
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Saw on twitter Jake dissed CBJ again. Said there were more fans at the Flyers Fight for Wives Carnival than there was at a Jackets game.
define "again." Jake has went out of his way to be positive towards Columbus following the trade. No sense getting worked up over a little teasing is there? We have bigger things to worry about, IMO. sheesh.

As to what he said, it's something said at a private event for Flyers fans...hard to get to worked up about it, and it very well could be true.

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
  #53
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
define "again." Jake has went out of his way to be positive towards Columbus following the trade. No sense getting worked up over a little teasing is there? We have bigger things to worry about, IMO. sheesh.

As to what he said, it's something said at a private event for Flyers fans...hard to get to worked up about it, and it very well could be true.
Again about how he said Columbus doesnt take winning serious or accepts losing. True or not, you keep that in your locker room. And Im not getting worked up, I was merely posting what I saw on twitter. Really dont think I deserved this kind of response considering I have nothing against him but if you want to defend him, be my guest.

BTW: How has he been positive toward Columbus?

Gagnefan924 is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
  #54
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,170
vCash: 500
Glad a former player finally makes fun of this organization. Been waiting for someone to do it, surprised it was Commodore.

Doug19 is online now  
Old
02-19-2012, 11:33 PM
  #55
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Again about how he said Columbus doesnt take winning serious or accepts losing. True or not, you keep that in your locker room. And Im not getting worked up, I was merely posting what I saw on twitter. Really dont think I deserved this kind of response considering I have nothing against him but if you want to defend him, be my guest.

BTW: How has he been positive toward Columbus?
It's not a defense of Jake so much as it is a response to your comment. I believed it was inaccurate, and I wanted to know details. What you're referring to is something said by Jagr, not Jake. Things tend to take a life of their own (see Jeff Carter) without facts around here, so I wanted to nip this "Jake disses CBJ again" crap in the bud.

Jake has been positive about his experience in Columbus both publicly after the trade and privately. I'd rather he not say stuff like he said at the Flyers event, but given the audience, I suppose that's going to happen sometimes. The sad thing is, he's probably right.

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 11:38 PM
  #56
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Glad a former player finally makes fun of this organization. Been waiting for someone to do it, surprised it was Commodore.
I imagine if Commodore does it, he would risk losing some of his buyout $.

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 01:33 AM
  #57
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,951
vCash: 500
Not sure if this is the right spot, but this has to be the best Rick Nash compilation on youtube.


CBJWennberg41 is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 01:43 AM
  #58
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
It's not a defense of Jake so much as it is a response to your comment. I believed it was inaccurate, and I wanted to know details. What you're referring to is something said by Jagr, not Jake. Things tend to take a life of their own (see Jeff Carter) without facts around here, so I wanted to nip this "Jake disses CBJ again" crap in the bud.

Jake has been positive about his experience in Columbus both publicly after the trade and privately. I'd rather he not say stuff like he said at the Flyers event, but given the audience, I suppose that's going to happen sometimes. The sad thing is, he's probably right.
Multiple people reported it right after it happened. Why would anyone make that up? I could see people making up rumors that Carter wanted out to get him cheap but Jake saying that about Columbus? What is there to gain? Nothing..

Gagnefan924 is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 07:29 AM
  #59
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
If Jake said that it really does piss me off. What pisses me off is the way that other fans and some in the national hockey media diss us as a fan base. Hate to see that from Jake.

We have had, with the exception of one year, eleven years of suck, and we still manage to average a little north of 14,000 per game. And if it weren't for a lower average during Buckeye football, the over-all average would be a bit higher.

Sure, you can go to league attendance figures and see us sitting there in 26th, or 27th spot amongst all of the teams, but just like in politics, the stats don't always tell the whole story.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the Hawks fans sitting around me were impressed with our attendance figures, and were very sympathetic to our plight. They acknowledged that it wasn't all that long ago that their team sucked, and that they were getting 6,000 a night in a city, what, a little over three times the size of Columbus?

Dr. Fire is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  #60
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Truth hurts. This organization is pitiful, if he was asked a question and answered it honestly, then maybe this org needs to look in the mirror. $10 fire sale tickets work great to get people in the seats

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 07:54 AM
  #61
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Relax,

It's an immature kid forgetting for a moment that he's a public figure and making a joke.

I know I said a lot worse things about a lot of stuff when I was his age. Fortunately most of that stuff is lost to the bit bucket of long gone bulletin board systems.

Skraut is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 07:56 AM
  #62
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Truth hurts. This organization is pitiful, if he was asked a question and answered it honestly, then maybe this org needs to look in the mirror. $10 fire sale tickets work great to get people in the seats
OK, fine, the fanbase sucks. Move the team. I really don't give a **** anymore. In a few years I will be retired and living down south somewhere, so screw the rest of the hockey fans here.

Dr. Fire is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 08:53 AM
  #63
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
OK, fine, the fanbase sucks. Move the team. I really don't give a **** anymore. In a few years I will be retired and living down south somewhere, so screw the rest of the hockey fans here.
My point was im not going to get upset over a player calling out the org when its probably true.

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 09:10 AM
  #64
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My point was im not going to get upset over a player calling out the org when its probably true.
Going by what Gagnefan posted, what he said didn't make any sort of statement at all about the organization.

Yes, I know Skraut is right and it's just a dumb statement but it still pissed me off. It felt like... not even going to say it.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  #65
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My point was im not going to get upset over a player calling out the org when its probably true.
Calling out the organization is fine. I get that, and agree. But when Jake says that there are more fans at the event that he was at than there are at the Nat for a CBJ game, that could be taken the wrong way by those that are not in the know like those of us that are living this **** day in, and day out.

To me, that just feeds into the perception that Columbus, and Ohio are a ****** market for hockey.

What hit me about your post was the whole $10 ticket thing. Under the circumstances, I agree that it is going to take some creativity to draw crowds. But that is no different from any-other U.S. market that has had, or will have teams that suck over a long period, with a few exceptions. Even our buddies to the north that like to call themselves "hockey town" didn't draw **** for crowds when they were the "dead things". It is easy to call yourselves "hockey town" during the best of times.

Pittsburgh fans have short memories as well, so I just don't want to hear a bunch of bull **** about our fan base from anyone else.

Let's give this market a chance, and see what happens when this bunch finally becomes competitive, and they are fun to watch and follow.

Dr. Fire is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
  #66
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
My opinion on the Columbus market is its a "sports market", which is true for many other cities as well. Win and people will come out and watch, lose, and you probably wont get much support short of giving bargain basement prices....which pisses me off being a STH and making my tickets worthless. I wanted to respond to the emails about the $10 tickets with "can I change the price of my tickets I paid full price for to $10?!" I definitely would not consider Columbus a "hockey market"...hockey markets are created if there's a culture of hockey in its past, which Columbus does not have (Chill and Owls are a small blip in Columbus' history). Now thats not to say it cant be successful, but if you dont put out a winning product, dont be surprised at the lack of support you will get. The large majority of Columbus does not give a crap about the Bluejackets or if they stay or not....most of us here know the benefits, but the majority doesnt care because they have no connection with hockey.

This organization is a joke, and its proven Jagr's comment to be correct when you're as bad as we are, but yet no one is held responsible. Winning is only a talking point for this org, not an expectation. Everyone is wanting to trade Nash as if he's the problem....trading Nash will not make Howson a good GM.

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
  #67
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,004
vCash: 500
BjN, you can go to every game you want for $10 - you just have to buy from scalpers, give up a specific seat, forgo the little perks STOs are given, and lose your direct connection to the team. I'm really tired of the whining about ticket discounts and reduced price programs. All of such efforts are direct decedents of Knothole Gangs, Ladies Day, and all the rest of Bill Veecks' imaginative baseball promotions. You remember baseball, America's Game? Yet that's where these things were all invented by a promotional genius. If you think the value of your season tickets are compromised by promotions and giveaways, give them up and sit wherever you like and pay what you wish to fork over. Why is this concept so difficult to understand?

pete goegan is online now  
Old
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
  #68
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
BjN, you can go to every game you want for $10 - you just have to buy from scalpers, give up a specific seat, forgo the little perks STOs are given, and lose your direct connection to the team. I'm really tired of the whining about ticket discounts and reduced price programs. All of such efforts are direct decedents of Knothole Gangs, Ladies Day, and all the rest of Bill Veecks' imaginative baseball promotions. You remember baseball, America's Game? Yet that's where these things were all invented by a promotional genius. If you think the value of your season tickets are compromised by promotions and giveaways, give them up and sit wherever you like and pay what you wish to fork over. Why is this concept so difficult to understand?
Sounds like a plan!

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
  #69
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Sounds like a plan!
You're welcome.

pete goegan is online now  
Old
02-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  #70
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My opinion on the Columbus market is its a "sports market", which is true for many other cities as well. Win and people will come out and watch, lose, and you probably wont get much support short of giving bargain basement prices....which pisses me off being a STH and making my tickets worthless. I wanted to respond to the emails about the $10 tickets with "can I change the price of my tickets I paid full price for to $10?!" I definitely would not consider Columbus a "hockey market"...hockey markets are created if there's a culture of hockey in its past, which Columbus does not have (Chill and Owls are a small blip in Columbus' history). Now thats not to say it cant be successful, but if you dont put out a winning product, dont be surprised at the lack of support you will get. The large majority of Columbus does not give a crap about the Bluejackets or if they stay or not....most of us here know the benefits, but the majority doesnt care because they have no connection with hockey.

This organization is a joke, and its proven Jagr's comment to be correct when you're as bad as we are, but yet no one is held responsible. Winning is only a talking point for this org, not an expectation. Everyone is wanting to trade Nash as if he's the problem....trading Nash will not make Howson a good GM.
I think we are on the same page on the causation's of our current mess. My point is that the Columbus, and Central Ohio fan base are no different than any other sports market. When teams are chronically losing, no matter where that is, fans stop showing up, except the die-hards. That is why the term "bandwagon" fan was created.

When that happens, teams have to be creative to fill seats. Sure, $10 dollars may be damn cheap to get in, but they also are going to get that concession money, and parking money. The local government gets it's tax money, and everyone is happy.

Even NFL teams have started to see their attendances drop when they do poorly, and Major League baseball teams started building smaller parks so that they don't look so empty when fans aren't showing up. What saves those sports is their TV money.

I agree, as a season ticket holder, that those cheap deals suck, but it is what it is. I would rather they do that, though, than sit in a half full arena. Our fan base is just like any other fan base, and I think that history shows that.

Oh, and by the way, I don't want to see Nash traded either, unless it is just one hellashish offer that none of us can realistically refuse.

Dr. Fire is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
  #71
Speedy Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
The Jackets are averaging 14,628 so far this season for a team that is beyond horrendous. It's interesting to me that we've had Pittsburgh and Chicago fans come to Nationwide in droves over the past two seasons and I'm sure many of us have looked at all of those opposing fans filling our place with envy. However, keep in mind Penguin and Blackhawk fans (and many other fan bases) are no different than Jacket fans when it comes to supporting their team in lean times, in fact they're worse. In 2003-2004 the Penguins averaged 11,877 and in 2006-2007 the Blackhawks averaged 12,727. One the Jackets have a nice season or two, things will get even better. In the meantime, I'm not sure what else Jacket fans can do, we've been pretty darn patient.

Speedy Sanderson is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 05:44 PM
  #72
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
OK, fine, the fanbase sucks. Move the team. I really don't give a **** anymore. In a few years I will be retired and living down south somewhere, so screw the rest of the hockey fans here.
Please don't take the ball and go home....holy cow get your emotions in check.

Doug19 is online now  
Old
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
  #73
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
So what is the construction in the parking lot at NWA going to be? I had assumed it was going to be a parking garage, but someone said it was going to be an AEP building (i think, or another company, regardless, not parking spaces). I really hope its a parking garage and theyre not stupid enough to take away that many parking spots, but then, nothing surprising me anymore

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  #74
fox2usp
Inbred Cat
 
fox2usp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pumpkinville, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
So what is the construction in the parking lot at NWA going to be? I had assumed it was going to be a parking garage, but someone said it was going to be an AEP building (i think, or another company, regardless, not parking spaces). I really hope its a parking garage and theyre not stupid enough to take away that many parking spots, but then, nothing surprising me anymore
Under construction now is just a parking garage. Eventually, Columbia Gas will be building there as well.

__________________
"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:10 AM
  #75
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
On the radio show this morning, Rimer said that Carlyle is on a short list for possibly the Caps, Leafs (and another team thats slipped my memory). But most importantly said he's been talking to Arniel on a daily basis as theyre good friends.....I think that can officially remove him as a candidate for us

BluejacketNut is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.