HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jack Johnson to TML

Old
02-20-2012, 04:39 AM
mytor4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Johnson is not what the Leafs need, especially at the cost of our $1.3m top pairing, all-situation defenceman.

Realistically... when you look at the cap implications.. the Kings couldn't get Gunnarsson for Johnson straight up. The rest of the deal? an absolute joke. Penner's probably worth a 3rd, and I highly doubt Brian Burke will be the guy to offer that because of their history.
edit

Last edited by mytor4*: 02-20-2012 at 04:49 AM.
mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
...So none of your players are scoring wingers then? Because none of them are even close to 30 goals yet.
Exactly this is what i want to say.

80% of the problem is the coaching
and 20% is we just have
former 30 goal scorer
former stanley cup winner
former whatever.... everything is former.

So yes, we don't have goal scoring winger

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Man Bear Pig

JJ is the last thing we need right now. LA and Toronto are terrible trading partners.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:32 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyEvandy9 View Post
Your lack of hockey IQ makes me want to cry. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
PLEASE tell me you're joking
Not at all. Gunnarsson is better in his own end than JJ, the Leafs have plenty of puckmovers / offensive guys, and Toronto can't afford to increase salary on the blueline.

Other fans underrate Gunnarsson because he plays an "under-the-radar" type game, which is understandable. But, you shouldn't go around criticizing when you have no idea what a player brings to another team. He's practically untouchable in Toronto because he's our #2 defenceman (who we've looked awful without), but paid like a #5 or #6, for next year as well, and an RFA the year after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post

Let me guess. You wouldn't trade Grabovski for Kopitar either...
No, I'd trade Grabovski for Kopitar. Kopi fills a team need, JJ does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
I'm a Leafs fan dude, and I think you're crazy.
How do you think trading Gunnarsson for JJ actually improves this team? We've got 4 offensive guys in the lineup on any given night (Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, Franson). That's all that JJ is. Adding a 5th is the last thing we need to do, especaily at the cost our our #2 defenceman and an additional $3m.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
We can close the thread here.

Johnson will just go for Kessel because he would be the only intersting part the Leafs have.

Just for the record of future proposals...........

The Kings just need a goal scoring winger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing else

And no everything under 30 + goals is not considered a goal scoring winger

Soooo the Kings only want (and by your post you imply that they can afford) Kessel, Ryan, Ovechkin, Crosby, Gaborik, Perry, Stamkos, Malkin, Kovalchuk, D.Sedin, Kane, or Toews?

None of these guys are remotely available. Even Vrbata, Neal and Hartnell aren't available besides overpayment. So I guess you want to do JJ for Hartnell?

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:37 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
What would it take to get Johnson to the Leafs? Only things that need to happen if a deal were to happen is a defenseman or 2 would have to dealt back to LA. My proposal is:

To Toronto
Jack Johnson
Dustin Penner

To Los Angeles
Carl Gunnarsson
Clarke MacArthur
Juraj Mikus
2nd round pick
5th round pick

LA upgrades wingers, gets a young-ish up and coming solid top 4 defenseman in Gunnarsson and picks and a D prospect to help even things out.

Leafs get a solid TWD to pair top pairing with Dion. Penner can play 3rd line in a checking role especially if the Leafs do get Nash.
JJ is a top 2 d-man

draft picks are too low, Juraj Mikus hasn't got a sniff of the nhl, Clarke MacArthur is one year till UFA and Gunnerson is a guy you either love or hate

for me it is quantity vs quality

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:42 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
JJ is a top 2 d-man

draft picks are too low, Juraj Mikus hasn't got a sniff of the nhl, Clarke MacArthur is one year till UFA and Gunnerson is a guy you either love or hate

for me it is quantity vs quality
So is Gunnarsson, and he makes $3m less!

Old
02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Not at all. Gunnarsson is better in his own end than JJ, the Leafs have plenty of puckmovers / offensive guys, and Toronto can't afford to increase salary on the blueline.

Other fans underrate Gunnarsson because he plays an "under-the-radar" type game, which is understandable. But, you shouldn't go around criticizing when you have no idea what a player brings to another team. He's practically untouchable in Toronto because he's our #2 defenceman (who we've looked awful without), but paid like a #5 or #6, for next year as well, and an RFA the year after that.

No, I'd trade Grabovski for Kopitar. Kopi fills a team need, JJ does not.

How do you think trading Gunnarsson for JJ actually improves this team? We've got 4 offensive guys in the lineup on any given night (Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, Franson). That's all that JJ is. Adding a 5th is the last thing we need to do, especaily at the cost our our #2 defenceman and an additional $3m.
That's all well and fine, but saying that Jack Johnson doesn't fill a need in no way at all means that he's an inferior defenseman to Carl Gunnarsson, which is what you insinuated in your original post.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:02 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That's all well and fine, but saying that Jack Johnson doesn't fill a need in no way at all means that he's an inferior defenseman to Carl Gunnarsson, which is what you insinuated in your original post.
I'm not talking about who's superior. It's an irrelevant arguement because they're completely different types of defencemen. I'm simply saying the Leafs would rather have Gunnarsson than Johnson. He's of more value to Toronto considering his skill set and cap hit.