HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers vs New York Islanders @ Shea Stadium?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2006, 07:17 PM
MrAlfie

vCash: 500
New York Rangers vs New York Islanders @ Shea Stadium?

I started a similar thread on the nhl talk section, but i wanted you guys in specific to know what you think of an annual battle of new york classic?

i have to admit though that it might create an negative effect on the other 81 games they have to play, maybe the fans will stay away and just wait for that classic... but why not give it a try and see how it developes?

Last edited by MrAlfie: 01-20-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old
01-20-2006, 07:31 PM
BeckeramosIsHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie
I started a similar thread on the nhl talk section, but i wanted you guys in specific to know what you think of an annual battle of new york classic?

i have to admit though that it might create an negative effect on the other 81 games they have to play, maybe the fans will stay away and just wait for that classic... but why not give it a try and see how it developes?
Maybe Rangers vs. Devils at Giants stadium.

Rangers vs. Islanders at Yankee or Shea stadium maybe.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Blueshirt Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckeramosIsHere

Rangers vs. Islanders at Yankee or Shea stadium maybe.
No way in hell would the Icelanders come all the way into JERSEY to play the Blueshirts. It would have to be the Devils vs. the Rangers. I wouldn't see the Rangers and Icelanders play in a stadium. Not worth it.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Skroob*

Having a New York Classic played *outside* of New York makes little sense.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:45 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Having a New York Classic played *outside* of New York makes little sense.
ok ill admit that... lemme fix the title...

so what about shea?

Old
01-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
ok ill admit that... lemme fix the title...

so what about shea?
it could work, seeing as how Queens is "middleground" between Nassau and Manhattan, and is accessable by both subway and highway.

we could also do a round-robin tourney and hold it in Albany and get Buffalo involved as well.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:56 PM
DutchShamrock

A nice fantasy, but the logistics of simply keeping the ice playable would be tremendous. Look at the weather right now. And you can't just say its going to be 20 degrees next week, we'll play then. The date has to be named in August. Rain would be a disaster.

Old
01-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
we could also do a round-robin tourney and hold it in Albany and get Buffalo involved as well.

I think this also could be done in one week

Day 1: Rangers vs. Islanders
Day 2: Islanders vs. Sabres
Day 3: Sabres vs. Rangers
Day 4: Islanders vs. Rangers
Day 5: Sabres vs. Islanders
Day 6: Rangers vs. Sabres

Each team plays eachother twice, "home" and "away" for each, no team plays more than 2 nights in a row.

Old
01-20-2006, 08:04 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
A nice fantasy, but the logistics of simply keeping the ice playable would be tremendous. Look at the weather right now. And you can't just say its going to be 20 degrees next week, we'll play then. The date has to be named in August. Rain would be a disaster.

So you keep the Mausoleum as a fallback if Shea is too warm. Not much goes on there anyway.

If the youth and the Czechs get us into the playoffs this year, I'm sure they could promote the crap out of it. If not next season, maybe when the new Mets Stadium is done.

Old
01-20-2006, 08:56 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
I think this also could be done in one week

Day 1: Rangers vs. Islanders
Day 2: Islanders vs. Sabres
Day 3: Sabres vs. Rangers
Day 4: Islanders vs. Rangers
Day 5: Sabres vs. Islanders
Day 6: Rangers vs. Sabres

Each team plays eachother twice, "home" and "away" for each, no team plays more than 2 nights in a row.
Keep dreaming this will never happen.

Old
01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
ArtVandelay

How about they freeze some water on Fresh Kills landfill and play in Staten Island?

Old
01-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckeramosIsHere
When they did the Heritage Classic in 2004 I immediately thought of them doing one at Giants Stadium between the Devils and Rangers.

Have them play at one of the endzones with the goals straddling the 20 yard line or somewhere near there and have bleachers on the open end side of the ice, probably where you would put the players benches.

The only problem might be that the weather in the NYC area can be unpredictable, for example tomorrow the forecast calls for the temperature to possibly hit 60 degrees, you couldn't possibly play hockey outside in that kind of weather.

Nobody is going to put up the cash they would need to set it up when there is a good chance they might not be able to play the game due to Mother Nature not being cooperative.

It's a shame though, would be a real blast.

01-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Pizza

Quote:

This would be a whole lotta fun. Not sure it will ever happen though

Old
01-21-2006, 01:21 AM
NYR2

I would love Rangers/Devils at Giants Stadium.

Or Rangers/Islanders in YANKEE Stadium. Shea is blah, gotta have a game like that in those other two places only.

But that would be really awesome though, I bet the turn out would be amazing.

Old
01-21-2006, 08:22 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
When they did the Heritage Classic in 2004 I immediately thought of them doing one at Giants Stadium between the Devils and Rangers.

Have them play at one of the endzones with the goals straddling the 20 yard line or somewhere near there and have bleachers on the open end side of the ice, probably where you would put the players benches.

The only problem might be that the weather in the NYC area can be unpredictable, for example tomorrow the forecast calls for the temperature to possibly hit 60 degrees, you couldn't possibly play hockey outside in that kind of weather.

Nobody is going to put up the cash they would need to set it up when there is a good chance they might not be able to play the game due to Mother Nature not being cooperative.

It's a shame though, would be a real blast.
Yea I would definately go as well. But how many fans would they draw though? Last season when there was something like this in Edmonton I think the stadium was filled. I would only predict about 10k Devils fans and 15k Ranger fans...that isnt alot.

Old
01-21-2006, 09:00 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Novel idea but consider the logistics of watching the game from much higher up then the 400s in MSG doesn't sound very enjoyable. Shea is ALOT larger and HIGHER then MSG. You'd have to figure that everything from the middle tier up would be higher than the 400's. Add to that the dimensions of an ice rink (200x85 = 17000sqft) vs football (360x150 = 54000sqft) or baseball field (over 22000 sqft not including the warning track or warmup circles which makes it much larger). Watching a baseball game or a football game from that hight is acceptable. But something as fast moving, detail orientated, and (relatively) small as hockey would be horrible. Maybe as a pre/post season thing, played in a smaller venue, could work.

Old
01-21-2006, 11:34 AM
mikesect424

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52
Yea I would definately go as well. But how many fans would they draw though? Last season when there was something like this in Edmonton I think the stadium was filled. I would only predict about 10k Devils fans and 15k Ranger fans...that isnt alot.
Possibly 5,000 Devils fans and 40,000 Rangers fans. Devils fans don't even go to home games.

Old
01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
xander

You just can't do it in the New York Climate, it's just too unpredictable. This time of year two years ago it was 0 degrees, now it's 47. It only works in places that you know are going to be cold strait through the winter (canada, michigan, minnesota, ect.) and it also helps that those places tend to be more hockey crazy than New York is, and thus more likely to seel out such an event.

Old
01-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
You just can't do it in the New York Climate, it's just too unpredictable. This time of year two years ago it was 0 degrees, now it's 47. It only works in places that you know are going to be cold strait through the winter (canada, michigan, minnesota, ect.) and it also helps that those places tend to be more hockey crazy than New York is, and thus more likely to seel out such an event.
Do these temporary outdoor rinks rely on cold air to maintain the ice or do they work like the permanent rinks? If the latter is the case, it seems like the only worry would be rain. Otherwise you're right that NYC weather would be problematic.

Isn't there a college game coming up at Lambeau Field? That should be cool.

Old
01-21-2006, 01:24 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Do these temporary outdoor rinks rely on cold air to maintain the ice or do they work like the permanent rinks? If the latter is the case, it seems like the only worry would be rain. Otherwise you're right that NYC weather would be problematic.

Isn't there a college game coming up at Lambeau Field? That should be cool.

I know the rink that they used for the cold war (MU Vs. MSU outside in spartan stadium) was cooled from below, so my guess is that any rink used in an NYC game would also be self cooling. However, even with a self cooling rink, imagine how bad the ice would be on a 47 degree day. I think it would be a mess, but I know very little about how the temporary outdoor rinks work, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Even if it did work, watching a game outdoors in baumy weather would just feel wrong to me, but maybe I'm in the minority.

I think the Lambau feild game is going to be Wisconson Vs. Minnesota, but I'm not really sure about that.

Closed Thread