HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Could the Flyers be interested in Nash?

Old
02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
no schenn or couturier please.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
no schenn or couturier please.
If we're getting Nash and giving Bryz, I don't see how JVR AND one of those two isn't going. Not only are we getting the best player, but we're giving the worst contract AINEC. To offset the Bryz risk relative to the short term risk of Mason (signed for only 1 more year at far lower dollars), you probably need to include one of them. Our first rounder MIGHT get it down, but I doubt it.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If we're getting Nash and giving Bryz, I don't see how JVR AND one of those two isn't going. Not only are we getting the best player, but we're giving the worst contract AINEC. To offset the Bryz risk relative to the short term risk of Mason (signed for only 1 more year at far lower dollars), you probably need to include one of them. Our first rounder MIGHT get it down, but I doubt it.
JVR, Bryz, First, and another pick? carle?

I think JVR has a lot more trade value than people think... A first and JVR is a top notch package.

Old
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, if Homer goes through with this, you could probably see his ass get sent out faster than a guy in a cannon.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:30 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Put this in the Bryzgalov thread, figured I'd post it here too.

Don't sell Homer short. If Sather could pull off that kind of magic, he can too. Look what Homer did this past offseason. I think he could swindle -- no, entice -- Howson into taking the Bryzgalov contract, it just is going to cost one of Couturier or Schenn to make it happen. That's the price the Flyers will have to pay for digging their grave here. Bryz is better off playing in a less visible market where there's no pressure. I firmly believe that. If the Flyers honestly feel they made a mistake -- which they did -- and are willing to bite the situation in the ass before it has a chance to get even worse, they need to do everything possible to make Bryzgalov part of any deal for Rick Nash. As I've thought about it more and more, I realize that I'd love to get to Nash Philadelphia. I think he'd have a Voracek-like career renaissance here, but way better and more impactful. Making that move while unloading Bryz and his contract would be in the best long-term interests of the franchise. As for the NMC, who's to say Bryz wouldn't definitely wouldn't be open to waive it to go somewhere else where he can just focus on playing hockey and being his regular, carefree self? Maybe it'd be a breath of fresh air for him, instead of being hailed as the franchise savior. Bryz could go back to a place where he won't be so virulently "scapegoated" by fans who expect their goalie to be competent, especially when said goalie is being paid as one of the game's best players. Maybe that's what he needs to flourish -- an environment like he had in Phoenix. Besides, Bryz will still make his money, which is really the number one thing he wanted this past offseason (we all saw the reports both before and during his negotiations with the Flyers that he wanted to be paid as one of the top players in the league, not just goalies). I'm just spitballing here, but I'm willing to talk myself into believing this isn't necessarily as crazy as it all sounds.

Bear with me here, as I normally don't go for the trade proposal nonsense. But I'm going to give it a shot with this ridiculous blockbuster. Go big or go home, right?

Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666667M cap hit through 2019-2020)
James van Riemsdyk ($1.654166M; $4.25M starting in '12-13 and running through '17-18)
Braydon Coburn ($4.5M through '15-16) OR Andrej Meszaros ($4M through '13-14)
Brayden Schenn ($3.11M through '13-14) OR Sean Couturier ($1.375M through '13-14)

for

Rick Nash ($7.8M through '17-18)
Steve Mason ($2.9M through '12-13)
Grant Clitsome ($1.25M through '12-13)

That's $11.95M in salary going to the Flyers, and going to the Blue Jackets will be...

a) $14.931M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Coburn, and Schenn
b) $13.196M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Coburn, and Couturier
c) $14.431M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Meszaros, and Schenn
d) $12.696M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Meszaros, and Couturier

Columbus can absorb those figures, and I have a feeling Scott Howson would push for option "d" the most. Trust me, it'd ****ing rip my heart out if the Flyers trade Couturier (I'd be more comfortable if Schenn is the one who goes), but I could live with it in this kind of scenario. That package is a spicy ****ing meatball, but it's the price of doing business when you paint yourself into a corner with an awful free agent signing. I swallow hard and say yes to the offer. ****, I'd even add in Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.875M through end of season, then RFA) OR Erik Gustafsson ($0.900M through '12-13) if the Jackets want either and have the available cap space.

(Perhaps it would also appeal to Columbus that Bryzgalov, even though his cap hit remains the same the entire length of the contract, is coming in with just $41 million real dollars left owed over the next eight years?)

For the Flyers, they add a superstar talent in his prime (turns 28 in June) to go with Claude Giroux as a franchise centerpiece. Imagine what G could do for Nash in light of what he's done for Hartnell. Imagine those two on a line. Are you not drooling? The Flyers could go with the Sergei Bobrovsky-Steve Mason tandem and then reassess the goalie situation going forward because both will be free agents after next season. It can't possibly be worse than anything we've already been subject to in this city.

So, can I play GM? Pretty please?

Nash-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Read-Briere (Read can play center, and I don't want Briere there anymore)
Voracek-Schenn-Simmonds
Rinaldo-Talbot-Wellwood
Shelley

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Kubina
Clitsome-Grossman
Lilja

Bobrovsky
Mason

I could dig it. Plus, there's a lot of flexibility in the form of cap relief on the horizon with Carle, Kubina, and Grossman becoming free agents in the offseason (to go along with Jagr). Voracek will be a RFA. Both Bobrovsky and Mason can finish out the string this season (and hopefully into the playoffs), each getting the opportunity to prove they can be the goalie of the future for the Flyers before the organization decides if it needs to look elsewhere for the next possible franchise goalie. Bob is in just his second year in North America, and Mason won the Calder Trophy in 2008 but has struggled mightily the past three seasons. Perhaps a change of scenery is precisely what he sorely needs as well -- specifically, to go from Columbus to Philadelphia. Mason's days as a Blue Jackets are likely numbered anyway, especially now that he's supposedly running afoul of Todd Richards.

Anywho... flame away.

Not interested at all. No point in trading that much for a player who is a luxury, not a need.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Not interested at all. No point in trading that much for a player who is a luxury, not a need.
Yeah, yeah... all I know is I'd be more than fine with the roster I constructed. Perhaps I could appeal to your sense of fate in pointing out that Rick Nash wears the inverted number of the Flyers' best, most iconic player?

I'd make the deal I proposed. Reluctantly, but I'd do it. Obviously, if something can be worked out where neither Couturier nor Schenn is part of the package going to Columbus, I'd take that instead and never look back.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, if Homer goes through with this, you could probably see his ass get sent out faster than a guy in a cannon.
Why and by who? Snider would be signing off on the deal, if not encouraging it. Homer isn't going anywhere.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
b10

I see a lot of people talking about Columbus taking back Briere's contract in order to take on Nash.

I'm not positive, so I've come here to ask, but I thought I remembered hearing that Briere also has a NMC in his contract? Can somebody confirm or deny this for me?

b10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by b10 View Post
I see a lot of people talking about Columbus taking back Briere's contract in order to take on Nash.

I'm not positive, so I've come here to ask, but I thought I remembered hearing that Briere also has a NMC in his contract? Can somebody confirm or deny this for me?
He sure does. Briere won't be waiving to go to Columbus.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by b10 View Post

I am pretty sure he has a NMC, and I dont really think the flyers are interested in trading him, but I could be wrong.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:56 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
He sure does. Briere won't be waiving to go to Columbus.
No one will want to waive to Columbus unless you want zero expectations/hope to be traded again. I can't see anyone with a NTC or NMC from this team waiving it to play there which really limits options.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:24 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, yeah... all I know is I'd be more than fine with the roster I constructed. Perhaps I could appeal to your sense of fate in pointing out that Rick Nash wears the inverted number of the Flyers' best, most iconic player?

I'd make the deal I proposed. Reluctantly, but I'd do it. Obviously, if something can be worked out where neither Couturier nor Schenn is part of the package going to Columbus, I'd take that instead and never look back.
OK, look at it this way: what would be a better use of @$14 million in cap space NEXT year? Nash, Mason, and Clitsome, or Suter, JVR, and Schenn/Couturier? I am not even a gigantic JVR fan, and I know the latter is WAY better for the Flyers, especially if Pronger is not back.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Snipsnap12

more I think about this the more I do not want it to happen.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:58 AM
2minutes4slashing

What gets me thinking on Amateur Hour's proposal is he makes some good points .... Nash is a cant miss superstar entering his prime , ok we get that , we can all agree on that right?

but...

What if Coots and Schenn never really pan out to be these high scoring snipers long term?

What if JVR doesnt turn into everyone's self proclaimed super star power forward" like they think he will?

What if Bryz and Bob melt down even more then they already have now?

does anyone really and actually think Grossman and Kubina are going to make a huge difference for a couple months? .. man I dunno my head is spinning from all this drama they talk about ...

I miss the Carter Richards era , there I admit it, shoot me

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
What gets me thinking on Amateur Hour's proposal is he makes some good points .... Nash is a cant miss superstar entering his prime , ok we get that , we can all agree on that right?

but...

What if Coots and Schenn never really pan out to be these high scoring snipers long term?

What if JVR doesnt turn into everyone's self proclaimed super star power forward" like they think he will?

What if Bryz and Bob melt down even more then they already have now?

does anyone really and actually think Grossman and Kubina are going to make a huge difference for a couple months? .. man I dunno my head is spinning from all this drama they talk about ...

I miss the Carter Richards era , there I admit it, shoot me
See you can't even get everyone to agree on the bolded.

Nash has topped out at 79 pts.
He's averaged 61 pts for his entire career coming into this year.
He's averaged 70 pts over the the past 4 years.
He's on pace for 55 pts this year.

It's not as clear cut as some people think. Everyone knows he's good, the question is how good, and is he good enough to warrant 7.8 million? The people that say yes, will say he did that all by himself on Columbus. The people that say no will say if he's that good he should be able to do it himself.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
santapore

vCash: 50
i would love to have nash in philadelphia. jrv+carle+schenn would be my proposal. becouse without schenn or couturier in that deal it wont happen. so i think couturier can be better in future. hes defence and that 5 goal in 5games strech pointed that hes gonna be awesome..atleast for me. and guys remember...that last year tv contract should raise cap floor anyway in summer so..that nash contract is not THAT big deal.

santapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:08 AM
JonnyGaloshes

I would only do it if gets Bryz off this team. It might be Homer's only chance to do so.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
I would only do it if gets Bryz off this team. It might be Homer's only chance to do so.
I would do it instead of Briere too.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:20 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Rangers fan here,not trolling,not looking to bust balls.Just here to talk hockey.I read this rumor this morning.I would love to see Nash in the East just not as a Ranger....I read today on NHL network that Philly and CBJ are in talks for Nash....

JVR,Cotoure and a 1st rounder..

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Cotourier,or however its splet

Old
02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Rangers fan here,not trolling,not looking to bust balls.Just here to talk hockey.I read this rumor this morning.I would love to see Nash in the East just not as a Ranger....I read today on NHL network that Philly and CBJ are in talks for Nash....

JVR,Cotoure and a 1st rounder..
This doesn't work because of the salary cap.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:27 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Briere wont waive his NTC/NMC.....who on offense do you have to move that will make ends meet?

Old
02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Big contract for anyone to pick up to begin with..On top of it,he is not worth the money he is getting,far from it.But you would be getting a consistant young olympian 30 goal scorer

Old
02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Briere wont waive his NTC/NMC.....who on offense do you have to move that will make ends meet?
Well we have 890K in cap space now. We would have to include almost 7 million of salary going back to Columbus for it to work. That's one of the biggest reasons after acquiring Kubina we are out of the Nashville sweepstakes. Flyers beat writers also have said it seems like the Flyers are not interested in the price for him(one of Schenn or Couts, along with JVR)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:36 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Well we have 890K in cap space now. We would have to include almost 7 million of salary going back to Columbus for it to work. That's one of the biggest reasons after acquiring Kubina we are out of the Nashville sweepstakes. Flyers beat writers also have said it seems like the Flyers are not interested in the price for him(one of Schenn or Couts, along with JVR)
price for nash is uncalled for an its a huge salary dump for CBJ's,cause nothing is happening with Nash there.and to have to add on 7.8 mill per,well im sure the Flyers have plenty of players they need to re-sign adventually.In the long run is it worth it,I think not.