HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you consider moving Cole if the price is right?

Old
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I dont think we should trade him. Cole, Gionta and Gorges are the leaders of this team going forward and I am happy with that.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

First, you have to get his permission due to his NTC.
Then after that, you have to define what exactly is a correct price.

Therefore, it is very unlikely we can trade him.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:58 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Depends on the return
But I don't at all want him to leave
His leadership has been big just ask patches about that

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
As much as I love Cole if someone offered some over payment for him, I think we need to consider it. A couple of 1sts and I would be all over it.
So would I, but in what crazy world do we get a Kessel return for Cole? And that was an overpayment for Kessel!

Unless we get a serious overpayment, I'd rather gamble he'll still be a big contributer next year. We aren't doing a full rebuild, AFAIK, and plan to be competitive next year. And that doesn't even take into acount wether or not he has a no-move clause.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
At 33 years old Cole is having a career year for our floundering team. Seeing the return some below average players are garnering would you make him available for trade? I think most of us are in agreement the Canadiens are not in a position to be cup contenders in the next 1 or 2 years. In which time Cole's best years will start to fall into the rear view mirror. If the potential for a large return for Cole is there would you move him? (assuming he'd waive his NTC of course)
No. I see him as our long term captain and a guru for the incoming kids.....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
alexstream

Cole is what we've been wanting for the last 20 years (heck we traded Turgeon for Corson because we wanted a "Cole"). so there is no way we can afford to trade him.
he's the perfect fit. he does way more than collect points, he represents. he leads. he shows the way. right now, he's the identity of what we want the team to be.

if we were to trade him, it'd have to be for a sure shot and a sure shot fit.

-no draft pick
-no enigma
-a proven track record
-proven adaptability
-scoring ability (cause Steve Begin would the 1st four)
does that exist?
even Cole himself doesn't fit that checklist, cause he didn't adapt in Edmonton.
if he hadn't been injured all season long, you could have made a case for brendan morrow.

right now, he's more valuable than a top 10 pick.
Why?
-Benoit Pouliot, Gilbert Brule, Hamil, Zherdev, Brassard, Frolik, Sheppard, Picard... and so on.

Last edited by alexstream: 02-19-2012 at 10:25 PM.
alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
IMPOSSIBLE ! No team would trade a similar, younger player for an older more expensive one.

And the Habs badly need leadership.

Look at Edmonton. A bunch of youngsters and no leaders.
Yeah this is a good point. Gill is gone, we will most likely trade Darche and or/Moen too. We need to keep a few veterans to lead by exemple.

Keep Cole, he'll be useful next year.

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole
Brian Gionta - Tomas Plekanec - René Bourque
Andrei Kostitsyn - Lars Eller - Louis Leblanc
Blake Geoffrion - Veteran UFA - Ryan White

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
MXD

Sure!

But the key word is : the price is right.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Shad

Anyone can be moved for the right price but in Cole's situation it would be a dick move by the organization...the guy willingly signs here with a NTC, performs better than expected, and seems to love it here...you don't just go and move him.

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
rUmX

Pretty sure some GMs are eyeing Cole. He's having a great year and to me is the definition of a Power Forward.

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I'd want a prospect like say, Jensen. Vancouver is quite high on him and there is a fairly good degree of promise he might turn into a sleep pick in years to come. It's a gamble and I'm only using the Canucks as an example, seeing they would never again, but that is the return you'd want for Cole, alongside a pick.

You wouldn't get a roster player, not unless you eyed someone struggling to find their game or is an expendable asset. So targeting good prospects is key. Regardless, I do not foresee us doing anything more than moving Moen and maybe Kostitsyn; Detroit for the former, Nashville for the latter.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
jwolf

What would you consider to be the right price? J. Staal? Couturier? A couple of 1st round picks?
Also, when does the team plan on contending? Next year? The year after that?

Anyone can be moved. In Cole's case, the return would have to be mighty juicy since he has quickly become one of the leaders and one of the most popular guys in the room, besides being the most inspirational performer.

The very same day Gill was moved, they gave Cole the A. I think that's indicative of a team that's happy with it's investment. I also think Gauthier (provided he's still here) is determined to be competitive next season and he'll need Cole to do that. Barring any Milbury-esque, pipe-dream offer, I'd leave well enough alone.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Skarjak

Need some veterans to rebuild. The reason some teams like the Oilers keep on failing is that they've got no one to help their youth progress.

Even if you do a firesale, Cole is a veteran you have to keep.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
A team needs its veterans for leadership, not TOO many veterans, but you definately dont FORCE yourself to ship a guy like cole, it wiuld have to be a substantial deal

You trade gio before you trade cole...

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:33 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

We don`t move cole this year, because we have no idea what kind of team we are yet...If we had the production we should have gotten out of cammalleri and gomez, and markov and gionta healthy, well...we`d be quite different looking team now wouldn`t we. So if we get markov and gionta back next year, and we acquire players to replace the calibur pf players we thought we were getting with gomer and cammy, than we`re quite a different team aren`t we.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:36 AM
WestIslander

I would only trade him if the deal involved a young NHL player, prospect and a 1st round draft pick.

Something like...

To Pittsburgh: Erik Cole + Yannick Weber
To Montreal: Simon Despres + Keven Veilleux + 1st round draft pick 2012

Quote:
Talent Analysis

Veilleux brings a rare mix of size, speed, and skill to the ice but questions remain. The right-hand shooting center is capable of playing all three forward positions and is equally talented in passing and shooting. He has a hard accurate wrist shot and has shown the ability to take care of business in front and around the net.

The towering forward started to recently play a more consistently physical game and has been able to use his offensive tools more effectively as a result. The key for him though will be to remain healthy as he has battled injuries to some degree or another since drafted in 2007.

Talent Analysis

Despres possesses the size, skill, and hockey IQ to make opposing forwards lives miserable. Over the past season he has continued to physically mature, and is now a chiseled 6'4 and 215 pounds.

Of Despres large skill-package, it his skating ability that is among his greatest asset. He is a strong and fluid skater who is as effective moving forward as he is skating laterally or backward. He is also smooth in his stops and turns and can use his wingspan to smother opposing forwards.

If there is a knock on the young defensemen it is that he does not play with enough physicality. While he will never be mistaken for Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, the young defenseman has shown a willingness to block shots, and clear the front of the net.

Offensively, the defenseman's upside is still largely unknown. He can smoothly move the puck up ice and distribute it to teammates. His shot has also vastly improved over the past season. Still, he tends to not take too many risks on the blue line.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Yeah this is a good point. Gill is gone, we will most likely trade Darche and or/Moen too. We need to keep a few veterans to lead by exemple.

Keep Cole, he'll be useful next year.

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole
Brian Gionta - Tomas Plekanec - René Bourque
Andrei Kostitsyn - Lars Eller - Louis Leblanc
Blake Geoffrion - Veteran UFA - Ryan White
Kostitsyn will not be here next season, mark my words.

Next season, we might see:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Geoffrion - Eller - Leblanc
UFA - White - Bluden
Palushaj

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Weber
Diaz

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would only trade him if the deal involved a young NHL player, prospect and a 1st round draft pick.

Something like...

To Pittsburgh: Erik Cole + Yannick Weber
To Montreal: Simon Despres + Keven Veilleux + 1st round draft pick 2012
The salary cap will not permit the Pens do make such move

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Trading Cole wouldn't make any sense right now unless a team is willing to overpay like crazy. Let's say like us getting back a Bobby Ryan type player in return which doesn't make any sense for that other team to do such deal

Old
02-20-2012, 08:56 AM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
No way, he just signed here as a UFA. What kind of message is that to other players ? Come here and sign with us so we can trade you ?

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUTH OF HABS View Post
No way, he just signed here as a UFA. What kind of message is that to other players ? Come here and sign with us so we can trade you ?
hockey = a business

Old
02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Pretty classless to sign a respected veteran UFA to a 4 year deal then trade him during the 1st year of his contract. I say no. He has done a great job with Max and I think he's a great mentor for a lot of the younger guys.

Some of you would trade your parents if yo could. Sheesh.
When I read this I had a mental image of Kaberle's face

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Craig71

Why trade everyone? I know Eric Cole is over the hill at 33 but look at Jagr and Selanne and dr Recchi for that matter. The guy has 4-5 good years left and is still one of fastest and most aggressive skaters in the league when he crosses the blue line. Are you guys nuts? This is the type of fearless player that we wanted latendresse to be, this is the guy we have wanted for 25 years and now trade him for some draft pick that might be somebody in 3 years. Wow!!! after he has been so consistent all year and played excellent hockey through all the crap that has gone on. I would make either him or Gorges team captain. This a guy that we need 3 or 4 more of, not get rid of.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:07 AM
idk

Theoretically - yes, I would trade Cole. I would trade anyone right now if the return was right. Of course for some players (including Cole) the Price would be sky high, but remember the Isles traded Chara, Spezza and Muckalt for Yashin, so overpayments to on occasion happen.

Realistically no, Cole is too important to the team going forward and not attractive enough, even given his exceptional season thus far, to net the right kind of return. Teams are going to be turned off by Cole's no trade clause and his stats are good enough to net us the return that we need. Maybe if Milbury was still in the league, but even then I doubt it.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Davebo
beep beep

**** NO!

I though we were trying to build a winning team? This guy has a cup plus he's an inspiration to some of the youngsters.

Again - **** NO!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote