HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto

Old
02-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Pugs35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Do you guys think he'll improve his shot? He misses the net too often. I wonder if he improves his shot if he can get 55-60 points.
You know what Penguins fans couldn't stand a few years ago? Kris Letang's accuracy on his shot. Not saying he'll ever be Letang but there's no reason it can't improve. Lately (though not really on that PP last night) he's taken on more of a shoot-first mentality too.

He (like the rest of the team) had a rough January with only 3 points, but in February he's rebounded pretty damn nicely:

9 GP - 1 G 6 A : 7 pts and +4.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:28 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Assuming no drop off in Stralman's play, I'd agree. People have complained for several years about our lack of a "#1 defenseman" who can shut down top lines and put up 50-60 points. I think this year we've seen that a group of defenseman who can all play solid defense while doing a good job of clearing the zone and jumping into the play is completely adequate (if not preferable to a more lopsided group).
I wouldn't put Stralman as a top 4 dman. He's been good, but I don't know that he could handle top 4 minutes on a consistent basis. I think he's earned himself a spot for next season though. Hopefully Sauer can come back healthy and Erixon can earn a spot. That's a great defense.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:40 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't put Stralman as a top 4 dman. He's been good, but I don't know that he could handle top 4 minutes on a consistent basis. I think he's earned himself a spot for next season though. Hopefully Sauer can come back healthy and Erixon can earn a spot. That's a great defense.
Honestly Stralman isnt far off from playing top 4 min. Hes averaging 17:25. Staal is at 18:12.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Honestly Stralman isnt far off from playing top 4 min. Hes averaging 17:25. Staal is at 18:12.
Yeah, but Staal is used to playing 24-25 when healthy. To me, a top 4 dman has to be able to play 20+ minutes every night against the other team's best/2nd best players. I don't think Stralman can do that consistently. He also has to be able to play on the PK. Stralman only gets :39 per game on the PK.

I guess it's one of those things where until I see him do it, I'm going to be skeptical that he can do it. He's played well for us, but he's bounced around a lot in his career and never really stuck anywhere, even in columbus, who are desperate for defensive help.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Faxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
one of his best games to date. both offensively and defensively he was brilliant for 60 mins. bravo job well done
He played the whole 60 mins? Wow!

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
blue425

Del Zotto is the PMD we have been waiting for.

A long ass time at that. Please don't trade him. Please.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Del Zotto didn't only get crapped on by Ranger fans last year, but he was also crapped on by a lot of the HF prospect section during his draft year, until he put up his huge rookie season. I remember being told he was "Atrocious defensively".

MDZ has made a habit of proving people wrong, and I'm proud to have him on my team. Holy **** has he been impressive this year.

And how about a little bit of credit to the coaching staff for doing such a good job at getting the most out of our defenseman? Guys like Eminger and Stralman who have had questions about their defensive play have stepped in and done more than adequate, even when asked to play top 4 minutes. They are benefiting from the system.

bourgeoisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:38 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
You know what Penguins fans couldn't stand a few years ago? Kris Letang's accuracy on his shot. Not saying he'll ever be Letang but there's no reason it can't improve. Lately (though not really on that PP last night) he's taken on more of a shoot-first mentality too.

He (like the rest of the team) had a rough January with only 3 points, but in February he's rebounded pretty damn nicely:

9 GP - 1 G 6 A : 7 pts and +4.
Man, we're spoiled if 8-3-1, is a rough January.

(Offensively yeah we weren't very good)

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
IMO he's our 2nd best d-man.
He possesses a skill offensively, especially in his passing ability, that none of our other defenseman have. As far as defensely, he's come a long way but he still has a longer way to go.

He along with McDonagh have the highest upside/potential of all of our defensemen because of their young age and better all around skillsets than the others.
As of right now, defensively speaking, MDZ still lags behind McD, Girardi, Staal and Sauer(when he's healthy and in lineup).

If I'm starting a team tomorrow and I had to pick two defensemen, they'd be McD and MDZ hands down!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Don't sell Stralman short, the guy has been every bit as good as the other top 4 defensemen.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
Del Zotto didn't only get crapped on by Ranger fans last year, but he was also crapped on by a lot of the HF prospect section during his draft year, until he put up his huge rookie season. I remember being told he was "Atrocious defensively".

MDZ has made a habit of proving people wrong, and I'm proud to have him on my team. Holy **** has he been impressive this year.

And how about a little bit of credit to the coaching staff for doing such a good job at getting the most out of our defenseman? Guys like Eminger and Stralman who have had questions about their defensive play have stepped in and done more than adequate, even when asked to play top 4 minutes. They are benefiting from the system.
If I remember correctly, Kyle Woodlief hated him as a prospect, and killed his defensively ability and his skating. I believe both have somewhat improved since then.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Do you guys think he'll improve his shot? He misses the net too often. I wonder if he improves his shot if he can get 55-60 points.
He is 21, why would you think he stopped improving?

He will keeo getting better another 4-6 years. He will be an All Star.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I wasn't so much on the trade him boat, but definitely on the he better step his **** up boat.

Trading him last year would have been ******** since his value would have been lower.
This reflects how I felt as well

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
You weren't the only one...I can tell you that.

As for Tim Erixon, I think that MDZ's huge rebound may have ticketed Erixon to another organization in terms of making it in the NHL. Five spots are accounted for when Mike Sauer returns, and an argument can be made that Stralman has the 6th spot locked up. Someone may end up being trade bait, because the Rangers need a more physical and punishing D-man.
I think it ticketed Erixon for having enough time to develop his game comfortably and then gain experience in the NHL comfortably, then for us to re-sign him cheaply and then for him to step into the role that will likely be vacated 3 years down the line when one of Staal or girardi likely starts to sadly break down or gets released for cap concerns. Tradecould happen to one season. Sauer is still iffyt with injuries Or he could just squeeze in and we'd have a top 6 of Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer, McD, Erixon and thats fine as hell.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
I think it ticketed Erixon for having enough time to develop his game comfortably and then gain experience in the NHL comfortably, then for us to re-sign him cheaply and then for him to step into the role that will likely be vacated 3 years down the line when one of Staal or girardi likely starts to sadly break down or gets released for cap concerns. Tradecould happen to one season. Sauer is still iffyt with injuries Or he could just squeeze in and we'd have a top 6 of Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer, McD, Erixon and thats fine as hell.
I agree with your thoughts on Erixon, however why would Staal or Girardi break down as opposed to Sauer?

I think it's much more likely that Erixon makes the team next season and if Sauer is healthy then Stralman is the 7th defenseman. This will give McIlrath time to develop and I think down the line he makes Sauer expendable. The Rangers management loves McIlrath.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If we were to trade DZ right now it would probably the biggest mistake trade since Savard.

02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
KingHenrik311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
If we were to trade DZ right now it would probably the biggest mistake trade since Savard.
DZ isnt going to be traded. Sather would never do that.

KingHenrik311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

The defensive turn around that MDZ has made this season is remarkable. He was terrible defensively even this preseason. I did not think he could play this well on the defensive side of the puck in his prime let alone this year. Granted the system helps but his turn around on both sides of the puck is nothing short of remarkable in such a short time.

Feed me my crow, I'll happily eat it.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

I figured he would have a turn around and have a nice year, but not this much of a turn around. Couldn't be happier with his season.

I was also looking back on some of the Del Zotto threads from last year, kind of funny to read.

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I agree with your thoughts on Erixon, however why would Staal or Girardi break down as opposed to Sauer?

I think it's much more likely that Erixon makes the team next season and if Sauer is healthy then Stralman is the 7th defenseman. This will give McIlrath time to develop and I think down the line he makes Sauer expendable. The Rangers management loves McIlrath.
I only referenced girardi breaking down and I implied more that between him and staal we likely will let one of them go next time the contracts are up or trade one by then simpyl because the numbers dont add up. Erixon would be cheaper by a couple million dollars at that point in time I would guess. Really I suppose we could end up just keeping all of them but it's hard to imagine we can do that AND hold onto Artie, Dubs, Cally, Stepan, Kreider, Hank, gabs, Richards, Boyle, Prust, and hagelin. One D will likely have to go simply based on cap. It's insane to think of the overhaul by then so i won't try

They may love McI now when he's not playing for the team but if Sauer is better they'll love Sauer more. McI adds yet another body to the mix though so yea it's not hard to imagine 1 of our current six will go by then and that it will likely be the older, higher cap hit guy. By current six I mean Staal< Girardi, McD, MDZ, Sauer and Erixon. If you include Stralman who is also young...then you add McI if he develops enough...

Old
02-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

as a del z doubter he is really doing well. Kid can pass the puck, he telegrahps the passes and still gets it there. Incredible accuracy - he is back in form. Important player for our team.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

With the OT assist yesterday: Del Zotto has also matched the Rangers record for overtime assists in one season by a defenseman, a mark set by Barry Beck (1983-1984) and equaled by Brian Leetch (2001-2002) and Michal Rozsival (2006-2007).

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
With the OT assist yesterday: Del Zotto has also matched the Rangers record for overtime assists in one season by a defenseman, a mark set by Barry Beck (1983-1984) and equaled by Brian Leetch (2001-2002) and Michal Rozsival (2006-2007).
We have been dominant in OT this year, 5-1 (knock on wood). I remember for a few years we couldn't buy a goal in OT. Another year we seemed to give up a goal in OT almost every time we got there.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:28 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
We have been dominant in OT this year, 5-1 (knock on wood). I remember for a few years we couldn't buy a goal in OT. Another year we seemed to give up a goal in OT almost every time we got there.
This team is very good 5 on 5 and 4 on 4. 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 not so much.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
at first I was like Barry Beck! Whoa!
and then I was like Brian Leetch! Rock on!
but then I was like Michael Rozsival.

Let's see if he can break that record!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote