HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Bryzgalov Can Be Traded

Old
02-19-2012, 05:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It won't appease detractors, but Briere was paid for the playoffs anyways. If he has another big playoff, they'll stomach an off-year. One thing to consider is that his shooting percentage is well off his career averages. That could mean he may heat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
The same people that said the Flyers' defense was close to top of the league and still they could not bail out Bob nor Bouch last year?

This fanbase tends to overrate their own players and underestimate the opposition on a regular basis.
I don't think people here consider Carle, Meszaros, and Coburn as "top of the league" defensemen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Because of the number of goals the opposition has scored due to his stupid penalties or lack of defensive play? It's not all about points scored.
We didn't sign Briere for his defensive play. We signed him for putting points on the board, and that's what he's done.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
We didn't sign Briere for his defensive play. We signed him for putting points on the board, and that's what he's done.
that doesn't mean he's exempt from defensive responsibilities or his constant stick penalties aren't a problem. i'm not an opponent to the briere contract because he does show up when it matters, but you can't ignore woof's point when evaluating it.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

I don't think people here consider Carle, Meszaros, and Coburn as "top of the league" defensemen.

if by Philly's local beer league hockey then yes, perhaps Carle is top of league...otherwise HELL NO he aint...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
that doesn't mean he's exempt from defensive responsibilities or his constant stick penalties aren't a problem. i'm not an opponent to the briere contract because he does show up when it matters, but you can't ignore woof's point when evaluating it.
Fine, but I think his salary is reasonable even for his defensive liabilities. His cap hit may be too high at the end of the deal, but it was too low at the start of the deal.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Tripod

If Bryz sucks...and our system is fine, how come Bob has worsem#'s then Bryz playing against weeker competition??
WE DON"T PLAY A SYSTEM THAT THAT ALLOWS GOALIES TO POST GOOD #'S.

That said, both need to stop the weak goals and the D and F need to play better in their own end and stop all of the back door open net goals and the 2-1's.

NAME GP GA GAA SA PCT SO ENG W L OTL MOI ATOI PIM G A
Ilya Bryzgalov 40 105 2.79 1047 .900 2 0 20 11 6 2258 56:27 2 0 1
Sergei Bobrovsky 24 62 2.99 622 .900 0 0 12 8 1 1245 51:53 0 0 0

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
If Bryz sucks...and our system is fine, how come Bob has worsem#'s then Bryz playing against weeker competition??
WE DON"T PLAY A SYSTEM THAT THAT ALLOWS GOALIES TO POST GOOD #'S.

That said, both need to stop the weak goals and the D and F need to play better in their own end and stop all of the back door open net goals and the 2-1's.

NAME GP GA GAA SA PCT SO ENG W L OTL MOI ATOI PIM G A
Ilya Bryzgalov 40 105 2.79 1047 .900 2 0 20 11 6 2258 56:27 2 0 1
Sergei Bobrovsky 24 62 2.99 622 .900 0 0 12 8 1 1245 51:53 0 0 0
It's part system/skaters, part goalie play, part luck. No one really knows exactly how much of each, so it makes for endless banter.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Its unfortunate that bryz's inability to live up to expectations is going to lead to the inevitable destruction of what looks like a great young core

Holmgren dug his own grave though. Even if bryz was posting a .920 that contract would still be abysmal.

I wish he had the slather ability to get rid of these awful contracts without gutting the team but I don't see it
Don't sell Homer short. If Sather could pull off that kind of magic, he can too. Look what Homer did this past offseason. I think he could swindle -- no, entice -- Howson into taking the Bryzgalov contract, it just is going to cost one of Couturier or Schenn to make it happen. That's the price the Flyers will have to pay for digging their grave here. Bryz is better off playing in a less visible market where there's no pressure. I firmly believe that. If the Flyers honestly feel they made a mistake -- which they did -- and are willing to bite the situation in the ass before it has a chance to get even worse, they need to do everything possible to make Bryzgalov part of any deal for Rick Nash. As I've thought about it more and more, I realize that I'd love to get to Nash Philadelphia. I think he'd have a Voracek-like career renaissance here, but way better and more impactful. Making that move while unloading Bryz and his contract would be in the best long-term interests of the franchise. As for the NMC, who's to say Bryz wouldn't definitely wouldn't be open to waive it to go somewhere else where he can just focus on playing hockey and being his regular, carefree self? Maybe it'd be a breath of fresh air for him, instead of being hailed as the franchise savior. Bryz could go back to a place where he won't be so virulently "scapegoated" by fans who expect their goalie to be competent, especially when said goalie is being paid as one of the game's best players. Maybe that's what he needs to flourish -- an environment like he had in Phoenix. Besides, Bryz will still make his money, which is really the number one thing he wanted this past offseason (we all saw the reports both before and during his negotiations with the Flyers that he wanted to be paid as one of the top players in the league, not just goalies). I'm just spitballing here, but I'm willing to talk myself into believing this isn't necessarily as crazy as it all sounds.

Bear with me here, as I normally don't go for the trade proposal nonsense. But I'm going to give it a shot with this ridiculous blockbuster. Go big or go home, right?

Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666667M cap hit through 2019-2020)
James van Riemsdyk ($1.654166M; $4.25M starting in '12-13 and running through '17-18)
Braydon Coburn ($4.5M through '15-16) OR Andrej Meszaros ($4M through '13-14)
Brayden Schenn ($3.11M through '13-14) OR Sean Couturier ($1.375M through '13-14)

for

Rick Nash ($7.8M through '17-18)
Steve Mason ($2.9M through '12-13)
Grant Clitsome ($1.25M through '12-13)

That's $11.95M in salary going to the Flyers, and going to the Blue Jackets will be...

a) $14.931M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Coburn, and Schenn
b) $13.196M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Coburn, and Couturier
c) $14.431M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Meszaros, and Schenn
d) $12.696M if the deal is Bryzgalov, JVR, Meszaros, and Couturier

Columbus can absorb those figures, and I have a feeling Scott Howson would push for option "d" the most. Trust me, it'd ****ing rip my heart out if the Flyers trade Couturier (I'd be more comfortable if Schenn is the one who goes), but I could live with it in this kind of scenario. That package is a spicy ****ing meatball, but it's the price of doing business when you paint yourself into a corner with an awful free agent signing. I swallow hard and say yes to the offer. ****, I'd even add in Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.875M through end of season, then RFA) OR Erik Gustafsson ($0.900M through '12-13) if the Jackets want either and have the available cap space.

(Perhaps it would also appeal to Columbus that Bryzgalov, even though his cap hit remains the same the entire length of the contract, is coming in with just $41 million real dollars left owed over the next eight years?)

For the Flyers, they add a superstar talent in his prime (turns 28 in June) to go with Claude Giroux as a franchise centerpiece. Imagine what G could do for Nash in light of what he's done for Hartnell. Imagine those two on a line. Are you not drooling? The Flyers could go with the Sergei Bobrovsky-Steve Mason tandem and then reassess the goalie situation going forward because both will be free agents after next season. It can't possibly be worse than anything we've already been subject to in this city.

So, can I play GM? Pretty please?

Nash-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Read-Briere (Read can play center, and I don't want Briere there anymore)
Voracek-Schenn-Simmonds
Rinaldo-Talbot-Wellwood
Shelley

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Kubina
Clitsome-Grossman
Lilja

Bobrovsky
Mason

I could dig it. Plus, there's a lot of flexibility in the form of cap relief on the horizon with Carle, Kubina, and Grossman becoming free agents in the offseason (to go along with Jagr). Voracek will be a RFA. Both Bobrovsky and Mason can finish out the string this season (and hopefully into the playoffs), each getting the opportunity to prove they can be the goalie of the future for the Flyers before the organization decides if it needs to look elsewhere for the next possible franchise goalie. Bob is in just his second year in North America, and Mason won the Calder Trophy in 2008 but has struggled mightily the past three seasons. Perhaps a change of scenery is precisely what he sorely needs as well -- specifically, to go from Columbus to Philadelphia. Mason's days as a Blue Jackets are likely numbered anyway, especially now that he's supposedly running afoul of Todd Richards.

Anywho... flame away.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'll say this on Briere: Would you rather have had Gomez or Drury? If you had to pick one. They weren't coming out of that off-season with nobody.

I think Steve Mason is headed for a buy-out.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I like laviolette, but i see a coaching change coming before we get rid of bryzgalov
Considering that a coach is supposed to get the MOST out of his players, yeah.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Considering that a coach is supposed to get the MOST out of his players, yeah.
Either you have a solution on who the next coach should be, or you're ready to admit that he has done just that considering that we're in 4th place with our 9th rookie scoring his first NHL goal the other day. Any other team who has their 9th rookie scoring their first NHL goal are teams who are most looking forward to the draft.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:23 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'll say this on Briere: Would you rather have had Gomez or Drury? If you had to pick one. They weren't coming out of that off-season with nobody.

I think Steve Mason is headed for a buy-out.
If I remember correctly most wanted Gomez at that time. Briere was the right choice easily and has played great for us since we signed him. He disappears at times but come playoff time he is one of our best forwards.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
JVR21
G

Is there anyway we can Huet Bryz off to the motherland?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Question about 'ol Bryz's contract...if he "retires" at the end of the year and maybe sits out part of next season. Can he "unretire" and become a UFA and not be on our books any more?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
That's how I figured this would all end, and if the league doesn't like it, give us an amnesty buyout

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Question about 'ol Bryz's contract...if he "retires" at the end of the year and maybe sits out part of next season. Can he "unretire" and become a UFA and not be on our books any more?
I think thats possible, but why on earth would he leave that money on the table to most likely sign a lesser deal. He makes 6.5 and then 8 the next two years after this. There is no way you leave that money on the table.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I think thats possible, but why on earth would he leave that money on the table to most likely sign a lesser deal. He makes 6.5 and then 8 the next two years after this. There is no way you leave that money on the table.
No I know it wouldn't happen, but I was just wondering what would happen. I don't think he is going anywhere at any time for AT LEAST a couple years.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No I know it wouldn't happen, but I was just wondering what would happen. I don't think he is going anywhere at any time for AT LEAST a couple years.
Alright my bad I thought you might have thought it could have a possibility of happening He could though retire and then come back im almost certain. He might have to wait a year but he could do it.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Tank To Win

Pretty sure that if he filed the retirement paperwork with the NHL, he would have to wait a year before coming back and, if he did, the Flyers would own his rights until his original contract expires.

Tank To Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
kimmofan44

there is an article online about a guy who took his son to the carnival (to see his favorite player ilya bryzgolov). they paid for n autograph session with bryz and his 7 yr old son was thrilled to meet him. the dad could have said many things to bryz but decided to take the high road and tell him that he would be ok and that he knows he'll have a great rest of the season. bryz curled his lips, and told th dad ,"you guys care to much about hockey". if you type bryzgolov and care to much you should be able to google the article. its obvious the guy doesn't like it here and that he's starting to even hate the fans that pay his salary

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It's possible but Bryzgalov have to agree on it. Remember also that Huet is still on the books for Chicago, he's just loaned to Gottéron. His contract still counts towards the contract limit, and it counted towards the cap this past summer.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Tank To Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
there is an article online about a guy who took his son to the carnival (to see his favorite player ilya bryzgolov). they paid for n autograph session with bryz and his 7 yr old son was thrilled to meet him. the dad could have said many things to bryz but decided to take the high road and tell him that he would be ok and that he knows he'll have a great rest of the season. bryz curled his lips, and told th dad ,"you guys care to much about hockey". if you type bryzgolov and care to much you should be able to google the article. its obvious the guy doesn't like it here and that he's starting to even hate the fans that pay his salary

Here it is:

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/02...-too-much.html

Tank To Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:53 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank To Win View Post
hey thanks a lot for finding the article to go along with my post! you didn't have to do that!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Dooley36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Bryz has a no movement clause which is more powerful then a no trade clause because the Flyers cannot move him anywhere without him having the power to deny the move. Basically if Bryz wants to stay on the Flyers roster they can't move him, I believe all they can do is bench him or buy him out which wouldn't help much.
I feel like maybe they could just make his life here completely miserable. If there is really no way to handle this problem, and he does in fact become a complete cancer to the team, then homers head should be on a stick in front of city hall. A full NMC has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of if there is really no way around it.

Dooley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
ClarkeRuled

Hey, guys. First post on this board. I'm 44 years old and a lifelong Flyers fan. I live in Erie. My first memories of sports are of the Flyers winning the Cup. We get NO Flyers coverage here at all. It's all Penguins and Sabres junk in the newspaper here. Also, No COMCAST- only ROOT Sports Pittsburgh. So all I see of the Flyers on TV is the NHL Network, NBCSports (Versus) or when the Flyers play the Pens (on ROOT Sports). Anyhow, from what I've seen, Bryzgalov has pretty much been miserable. There's no denying that. But I think that if Lav would just commit to Bryz, the Flyers would be better off. I watched the game Saturday against the Pens. Bryz was shaky, no doubt. But if you want to instill some confidence in the guy, you let him play- even after Cooke's 3-on-5 goal. We bring Bob in and immediately we are down two goals in the third period. I just think that Lav's had a pretty quik hook this year. We've got a TON of money invested in Bryz. Man, let him play and get in a groove. Bob's NOT the answer.

ClarkeRuled is offline   Reply With Quote