HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 09:35 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post

I was extremely confused as well. So by waiting until the other team's are desperate to make "their move", somehow the price goes down? Right. I say sit on Wideman until an hour before the deadline and send him packing.
Yeah, you just have to look at the payment GMGM made for Joe Corvo at the 11th hour as an example of value not going down but rather up in such situations.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:52 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I dont want Wides moved for anything less than a 1st + someone that can probably help us before 5 years from now. And my prediction stands, if he is moved it will be the last trade of the day. Green surviving but the team collapsing the next week should only increase the odds it happens.

We have minimal cap room so if we want to add anyone more than a diver, someone has to go out. Espn thinks Toni Lydman could help us out. Yeah I know its ESPN I don't care. Someone reported George is the mad man on the phones this year. Not really a surprise to me since I think he is plain as day sweating bullets. No pun intended but Ted can't be a happy camper with his 2 teams right now.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
There's no such thing as strength when it comes to players of that caliber. At worst you turn around and trade him for an equivalent player at the position you need. But generally those players push your other depth at the same position out of the picture and you trade that and build around them.

And yes, with Ovechkin slumping and Semin uncertain to stick around, we could use another dynamic winger, especially one who plays like Yakupov.

That said Columbus or Edmonton or whoever aren't gonna trade first overall for 3 firsts that aren't in the top 5. That's beyond wishful thinking. All one of them has to imagine is trading Stamkos, Tavares, RNH for 3 lower players from those drafts and they'd be huddled in the corner crying at the thought.
Have people learned nothing from this year? Our center depth is piss poor, but people aren't opposed to moving 3 1sts for a winger? I don't give a damn how dynamic he is.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont want Wides moved for anything less than a 1st + someone that can probably help us before 5 years from now. And my prediction stands, if he is moved it will be the last trade of the day. Green surviving but the team collapsing the next week should only increase the odds it happens.

We have minimal cap room so if we want to add anyone more than a diver, someone has to go out. Espn thinks Toni Lydman could help us out. Yeah I know its ESPN I don't care. Someone reported George is the mad man on the phones this year. Not really a surprise to me since I think he is plain as day sweating bullets. No pun intended but Ted can't be a happy camper with his 2 teams right now.
Would have to be Jeff Schultz even up for Lydman. Lydman currently has 3 mil contract and is signed through next year vs. Schultz 2.7. That could be done even with the Caps having little cap room.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Have people learned nothing from this year? Our center depth is piss poor, but people aren't opposed to moving 3 1sts for a winger? I don't give a damn how dynamic he is.
The Caps will not be able to obtain a 2C until after this season. The current team's cap situation will just not allow it. For the Caps to go after the likes of Grabovski via free agency, they will at the very least have to move Ward. Ward's contract combined with Knuble's will get you Grabovski, however again you'll be up against or near the cap ceiling. Caps need to get grit, i.e. Jordin Tootoo, perhaps with Semin signing for 5 will free up additional money to allow for such a signing.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

The bigger concern I have with the Caps roster and pending UFAs is Tomas Vokoun. I would rather see the Caps resign him, but hearing that his family is still residing in southern Florida is a concern. GMGM should be pushing to resign TV this week, but if TV is taking a Parenteau like stance and will not negotiate until after the season, this is a problem. A package of Vokoun, Erskine and Knuble to Chicago would return probably a first rounder, prospect(s) and perhaps another later rounder. Decisions, decisions.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Capitlols

The biggest concern with the roster should be the $9.5mil captain playing like poo.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
The biggest concern with the roster should be the $9.5mil captain playing like poo.
The entire team is playing like crap. You can't single him out.

He is still playing the best out of all our players.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Langway
Intangibles

You can and should single him out. Much has been given, much is expected. He's been fairly consistently outhustled by Semin.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
You can and should single him out. Much has been given, much is expected. He's been fairly consistently outhustled by Semin.
yea, but all that can be discounted because semin is semin. that semin needs a contract. that semin is streaky and will turn back into a rat at midnight.

ov just needs.....whatever he needs....and he will be fine.

ov=good. semin=bad. keep ov. trade semin

Old
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Hale Dunter

Can someone explain ltir money. Haven't they *already* saved quite a bit of cap space by having Green/NB on ltir?

If they come off does that savings disappear? They need to end the season on it to realize the savings vs the cap?

Old
02-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
Can someone explain ltir money. Haven't they *already* saved quite a bit of cap space by having Green/NB on ltir?

If they come off does that savings disappear? They need to end the season on it to realize the savings vs the cap?
You don't save any cap space when using LTIR. It just allows you to go over the cap equal to the amount of the cap hit of the player(s) on LTIR.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post

Hardly.

He's arguably the most underachieving player on the team. At least Knuble has an excuse. Ovechkin is "C" and G'd up and totally let this franchise down.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post

He is?

Old
02-20-2012, 12:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
yea, but all that can be discounted because semin is semin. that semin needs a contract. that semin is streaky and will turn back into a rat at midnight.

Glad you finally figured it all out.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
You don't save any cap space when using LTIR. It just allows you to go over the cap equal to the amount of the cap hit of the player(s) on LTIR.
So it isnt cumulative? They can't go over by (Green-per-game-salary*games missed)?

Just confused as I have read several places Caps have lots of space if Green on ltir but little space if he is not.

So if Poti magically came back for the last game of the year they would be 4mil (or whatever he makes) over the cap?

Old
02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
IafrateOvie34

I agree about Wideman going for nothing less than a 1st rounder. Doesn't hurt to entertain offers. I doubt Anaheim deals any roster players, they are on fire. I actually see them sneaking into the playoffs out West. Calgary and LA aren't all that great.

Go Caps!

Old
02-20-2012, 12:51 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Hardly.

He's arguably the most underachieving player on the team. At least Knuble has an excuse. Ovechkin is "C" and G'd up and totally let this franchise down.
I love that pic Erocaps.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
So it isnt cumulative? They can't go over by (Green-per-game-salary*games missed)?

Just confused as I have read several places Caps have lots of space if Green on ltir but little space if he is not.

So if Poti magically came back for the last game of the year they would be 4mil (or whatever he makes) over the cap?
While a player is on LTIR the team can go over the cap by the amount of the cap hit of the injured player, so while Green was on LTIR they could have exceeded the cap by $5.25M. That is likely what was meant by the team having cap space. That is different than "banking" cap space. A team banks cap space if they are under the cap without using LTIR.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

we havent seen rat semin in a few months though

Old
02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I don't understand why people are so excited about this Semin who is on a "hot streak" of less than a point per game.

Compare this guy to the Semin who scored 30 in 25 to start last season...then turned into a rat.

Or the Semin who scored 33 in 21 games before the Olympic break two years ago...then played like was absolutely disinterested in the NHL.

Or the Semin who scored in all but 11 games in 2009. So, 79 points in 51 games -absurd.

The only trend I see is that his high end potential is dropping.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

It's not cumulative. While using LTIR exemptions, you have 0 cap space at all times. You may not be using all of an available exemption, so you might still have room to add more to your cap number (like now, Caps still have about 1 mil to play with if no other F's are called up), but you've got 0 cap space so you're not banking anything.

Which means at the deadline you need to be looking at full season cap hits, not prorated cap hits, because prorating assumes you're banking space (put another way, if you're prorating cap hits you have to prorate all cap hits, including those of the player(s) on LTIR, so your LTIR exemption space gets prorated down... so full season is just easier to look at).

If Poti magically got better at the end of the season they'd have to clear the space elsewhere or simply leave Poti on LTIR.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Same can be said of The Franchise.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Same can be said of The Franchise.
And if he were a free agent, I'd be very tempted to let him go as well.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't understand why people are so excited about this Semin who is on a "hot streak" of less than a point per game.

Compare this guy to the Semin who scored 30 in 25 to start last season...then turned into a rat.

Or the Semin who scored 33 in 21 games before the Olympic break two years ago...then played like was absolutely disinterested in the NHL.

Or the Semin who scored in all but 11 games in 2009. So, 79 points in 51 games -absurd.

The offensive output of the whole team has been dropping. It's not like Semin is alone in that sense. It is very possible that we'll look back on that stretch before the Olympic break two years ago as the high water mark of the Young Gun era, at least offensively.

Granted, there have been stretches where he has looked completely disinterested ever since he's been here, but I've seen nothing in his play during his hot streak recently to suggest that his high end potential is any less than it has been in the past, especially considering the centers he's been playing with.

Closed Thread