HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MTL/NSH] Hal Gill + Conditional 2013 5th for Geoffrion, Slaney, and 2012 2nd

Old
02-19-2012, 08:30 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
you're right on, sir. blake might be an NHLer one day.. just not right now. he has alot to work on. good luck with him in the future. and I agree it was the pick for gill for me.. I give the edge to MTL.. we'll see in april
Blakes's father and uncle never played long at NHL level anyway.

But so far so good in Hamilton. 5 points in 2 games.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
And the comments quoted were 3-4 months ago...
...in the offseason... meaning our opinions were actually from March/April (10-11 months ago)

When a players' true value lies solely on marketing, and he can't crack the NHL squad, his value will quickly plummet. Very simple concept.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Habsfanatical

Both Habs and Preds fans seem to agree the deal was Gill for a 2nd, Slaney is the obvious throw in and Geoffrion is just the cherry on top of the 2nd, PR move or not..

Also I really don't think Blake will be compared to Boom Boom or Morenz as there is what, 1 or 2 generations between players? I'd say only true old old school Habbers that saw Boom Boom or Morenz play would have true say but then again that was a different era all together, only statists that will uncover every comparable possible will try and make the comparables IMO..

Gill for 2nd = everyone's happy
Geoffrion + Slaney = assests for the future

I say both teams win the deal, each team got what they wanted/needed and are happy, why bicker over what some call "spare parts"?

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Blakes's father and uncle never played long at NHL level anyway.

But so far so good in Hamilton. 5 points in 2 games.
Wow, sweet. Unlike most players being traded, I truly hope Blake finds his game again and makes it to the big leagues. I'm really rooting for him to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. It just wasn't going to happen here. Sometimes a change in scenery is the only thing that will wake a player up. There are numerous examples of this.

Incredible start for him in Hamilton

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Wow, sweet. Unlike most players being traded, I truly hope Blake finds his game again and makes it to the big leagues. I'm really rooting for him to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. It just wasn't going to happen here. Sometimes a change in scenery is the only thing that will wake a player up. There are numerous examples of this.

Incredible start for him in Hamilton
Geoffrion reminds me of Pacioretty who had to go back twice in the AHL before making it.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
its entirely possible that all Blake needs is a new system

as has been said multiple times before, I think nobody in Nashville will be upset if he finds his game and sticks with the Habs. But for whatever reason, beyond his very fast start after his callup last year, he was not clicking in Nashville or Milwaukee

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Marksman

Thats a solid return for Gill.

Late second rounder and player that will add to competition for 3rd / 4th line spots next year.

Now lets see what Moen and Campoli will bring.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

David Poile just said on the radio that the Gill deal had the potential to be a bigger one, but it didn't come together.

Certainly sounds like they tried to get Andrei Kostitsyn--maybe something to keep an eye on.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:00 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
David Poile just said on the radio that the Gill deal had the potential to be a bigger one, but it didn't come together.

Certainly sounds like they tried to get Andrei Kostitsyn--maybe something to keep an eye on.
Does AK actually shoot the puck or is he hard headed like his brother and 9 times out of 10 passes up a chance to use his good shot?

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Does AK actually shoot the puck or is he hard headed like his brother and 9 times out of 10 passes up a chance to use his good shot?
he's more of a shooter than SK. I think they'd actually work well on a line together.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Sergei is more of a set up man while Andrei is a better sniper. He has a great shot

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
he's more of a shooter than SK. I think they'd actually work well on a line together.
It does not take much to be "more of"..Hope Poile makes the right decision and gets someone who knows what to do with the puck when they get it.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I still don't get why some fans want so badly to "win" a trade. Even if they are happy with the return it seems like they are not satisfied until they are given the tally mark in the win column for the trade, as if it is possible to be victorious when there is no victory to be had.

Geoffrion was called untouchable at the beginning of the season, and not because he was expected to be some superstar forward. In fact, we have always maintained that he will be a bottom six player who might overachieve and become a second liner. His "untouchable" status was 1) over-hyped and 2) based on the idea that he could be used as a PR prop. As has been said, that "PR" angle does not exist unless he is in the NHL. He struggled at the beginning of the year (after the idea of him being untouchable was being thrown around). He was sent down. He was passed over by other young forwards. That's all that needs to be said.

It isn't that anyone is downplaying Geoffrion's potential. That has remained constant. What is being downplayed, and rightfully so, is Geoffrion's importance to the future of the team. Even if he meets his potential, this club is loaded with bottom six-type players who have good two-way ability. It needed a defenseman and it needed a top six forward. Geoffrion's value was higher for Montreal than any other team (for the same reasons Nashville fans thought of him as untouchable). Montreal had a defenseman who fit the description of what Nashville needed: a big, 4-6 stay-at-home defenseman who can kill penalties. A deal was made that benefited both teams. End of story.

So I will once again say this: not everyone is out to underrate prospects of other teams. There is no need in getting defensive just because a Preds fan doesn't feel bad about losing Geoffrion. I think we all want him to do well in Montreal.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I still don't get why some fans want so badly to "win" a trade. Even if they are happy with the return it seems like they are not satisfied until they are given the tally mark in the win column for the trade, as if it is possible to be victorious when there is no victory to be had.

Geoffrion was called untouchable at the beginning of the season, and not because he was expected to be some superstar forward. In fact, we have always maintained that he will be a bottom six player who might overachieve and become a second liner. His "untouchable" status was 1) over-hyped and 2) based on the idea that he could be used as a PR prop. As has been said, that "PR" angle does not exist unless he is in the NHL. He struggled at the beginning of the year (after the idea of him being untouchable was being thrown around). He was sent down. He was passed over by other young forwards. That's all that needs to be said.

It isn't that anyone is downplaying Geoffrion's potential. That has remained constant. What is being downplayed, and rightfully so, is Geoffrion's importance to the future of the team. Even if he meets his potential, this club is loaded with bottom six-type players who have good two-way ability. It needed a defenseman and it needed a top six forward. Geoffrion's value was higher for Montreal than any other team (for the same reasons Nashville fans thought of him as untouchable). Montreal had a defenseman who fit the description of what Nashville needed: a big, 4-6 stay-at-home defenseman who can kill penalties. A deal was made that benefited both teams. End of story.

So I will once again say this: not everyone is out to underrate prospects of other teams. There is no need in getting defensive just because a Preds fan doesn't feel bad about losing Geoffrion. I think we all want him to do well in Montreal.
You hit the nail on the head. And I fully agree with the bolded. We all will be pulling for blake, no doubt. We are not trying to belittle Blake. Also, can't we just agree that it's a win-win trade? Both sides are happy. Nothing wrong with that.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

agreed and said this on the Habs board while most people agreed as well, this deal helps both teams going forward. People always have that let's "fleece" the other team mentality which most of the times is never the case

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

AK for the rights to Radulov, maybe?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
AK for the rights to Radulov, maybe?
Rights to Radulov aren't available. There's some rumblings he may be in the lineup for the Predators as soon as the playoffs.

David Poile has said the first round pick is in play, and i imagine a few prospects are as well, though.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
RMBoner Stabone

I think the Rangers/Flyers/Penguins and Devils as well as Isles errored here. Hal Gill is a beast made for Atlantic Division hockey. He's big and nasty and can slow down a game and frustrate forwards. Good luck Preds.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

it's only been one game, but early returns are great for the Preds and Gill. He was exactly as advertised against the Stars. Ate up some minutes, kept his game simple, was a monster along the boards, blocked shots, and just made sure the puck got out of the zone

Old
02-20-2012, 09:33 AM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Rights to Radulov aren't available. There's some rumblings he may be in the lineup for the Predators as soon as the playoffs.

David Poile has said the first round pick is in play, and i imagine a few prospects are as well, though.
Wouldn't he have to clear waivers a la Nabakov? There's no way he would.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
no. he went to the KHL illegally and has always been under contract with nashville, but suspended. Nabokov was a new signing which requires waivers.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
it's only been one game, but early returns are great for the Preds and Gill. He was exactly as advertised against the Stars. Ate up some minutes, kept his game simple, was a monster along the boards, blocked shots, and just made sure the puck got out of the zone
I was happy too but if the stars had scored on the late PP he caused I think the reviews would have been entirely diferent...

Old
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
nope, he has an existing contract and could be "reinstated" without having to clear waivers, according to preds AGM paul fenton, as told to him by bill daly.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
le_sean

Quote:
They played well together back in the day on a line with Robert Lang. I think all they need is a big centreman willing to dig for pucks to be a successful line. IMHO they would work really well with Fisher.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote