HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill & conditional 5th (2013) to Nashville for Geoffrion, Slaney & 2nd (2012)

Old
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Ridiculous. Twitter has been around a while. Facebook. SMS. Email too. Cell Phones before that.

If you don't trust a player with vital information about their future because you don't trust them to keep it confidential then quite frankly you're an incompetent idiot
. Which is what Gauthier is.
That made no sense whatsoever..

''If you don't trust a player [...] then you're an incompetent idiot!''

It's just a gratuitous shot at Gauthier, the GM you love so much.

You forgot to add faxes, home telephones, telegraphs, and actual mail/letters.

Gauthier has his reasons. It really doesn't matter if you have to wait an extra hour before knowing which destination you're heading off to. As a player it must be annoying because you'd obviously want to know which team you're going to play for, but in the end, it doesn't matter because you don't have a say in it and you still have to make your way back home and deal with some logistics.

If this upsets you as a fan, then maybe it's time to take a step back, breathe, and chill da fak out. It really isn't that big of a deal, and Gill even continues on to say how classy the organization is. Habs fans can really be ridiculous at times.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I really like Gill, who knows maybe we can sign him in the summer as a veteran again, i'd rather him then anyone else as a # 6-7

Also why can't Pierre just wait and confirm with the player were he has been traded, now 3 times he has done this(Spacek and Cammalleri as well)
Lol resiging gill THIS year was a mistake, and you want to do it AGAIN?

Well...if it keeps getting us a 2nd rounder everytime,..maybe...

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That made no sense whatsoever..

''If you don't trust a player [...] then you're an incompetent idiot!''

It's just a gratuitous shot at Gauthier, the GM you love so much.

You forgot to add faxes, home telephones, telegraphs, and actual mail/letters.

Gauthier has his reasons. It really doesn't matter if you have to wait an extra hour before knowing which destination you're heading off to. As a player it must be annoying because you'd obviously want to know which team you're going to play for, but in the end, it doesn't matter because you don't have a say in it and you still have to make your way back home and deal with some logistics.

If this upsets you as a fan, then maybe it's time to take a step back, breathe, and chill da fak out. It really isn't that big of a deal, and Gill even continues on to say how classy the organization is. Habs fans can really be ridiculous at times.
What is ridiculous is constant apologizing foi the organization's lack of leadership.

If a manager told me that I had a new assignment in another city that would uproot my family, but he refused to tell me where because he didn't trust me to keep it confidential, I'd know him to be incompetent.

It's increasingly evident to most reasonable people that Gauthier cannot manage people because he cannot trust them.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

He wasn't that bad at all and has been a huge difference on our pk. We know he is loved in the room, he can still help this team out just that he can no longer play 20 minutes a night. If he wants to come back at 1 million I would gladly take him back

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Why was signing Gill a mistake? He brought exactly what he was supposed to...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:23 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Why was signing Gill a mistake? He brought exactly what he was supposed to...
I went on NHL.com, and Gill doesn't have many points. Therefore, he is bad. /toomanypeopleslogic

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:23 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:

i wonder how many habs player would agree with you,Gill is a great #5/6 and #1/2 on PK plus awesome leadership where exactly was the mistake ? i would gladly take him back at 1mill

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
i wonder how many habs player would agree with you,Gill is a great #5/6 and #1/2 on PK plus awesome leadership where exactly was the mistake ? i would gladly take him back at 1mill
Gill made PG look like a Genious, thats the mistake

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
idk

Quote:
What is ridiculous is constant apologizing foi the organization's lack of leadership.

If a manager told me that I had a new assignment in another city that would uproot my family, but he refused to tell me where because he didn't trust me to keep it confidential, I'd know him to be incompetent.

It's increasingly evident to most reasonable people that Gauthier cannot manage people because he cannot trust them.
To be fair, it's unlikely that your job is one where sudden reassignment to new cities is as commonplace as it is for people who play professional sports.

Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of not trusting Gill (or any player) to keep things confidential. His ability to keep things under wraps is immaterial. It's the rest of the organization that would worry me if I were GM. The Montreal media is always hungry for a story and once you let slip too many details and the media gets ahold of it - well, things can go south real fast. Imagine if the media had reported that Gill had been traded to Nashville for a pick and Blake and someone else (lets say Toronto) decided to undercut us by offering more. Before the papers were sent to the league office. You can be damn sure that's what happened when Lindros was traded many years ago. It was caught then - would it be caught now?

Better to keep things quiet, even if it means keeping Gill in the dark for a few hours. That's no disrespect. Disrespect would have been calling him off the ice during practice and telling him he had been traded. This is just a practical consideration given the realities of dealing with being in Montreal.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
@habsinsideout1:
Column feature: #Ex Habs D Hal Gill on his old & new teams, trade, family, Subban & hockey future http://t.co/jOdoDCzG

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Gill+...904/story.html
This guy is class all the way. Hope he can grab another ring before it's all said and done with his career.

A lot of people under valued him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

I'm not apologizing, I'm saying who freaking cares. Does it affect you? No. Losing games affects you, you cheer for them, want them to perform, so if they lose, make a bad trade, sign a crappy player, I get it. But not telling a player where he's traded right away, who cares. It doesn't affect the team, or you, in any way whatsoever.

And your example sucks, big time. First off, Gill wasn't re-assigned, he was traded. So the equivalent in an every day job would be to get fired.
But for the fun of it, I actually know of more than one person that was told by their company they'd be assigned for a part time job in a different country but didn't know where exactly. It was between 3 cities and they needed to figure which people they wanted to send out to each city. So, it's not unheard of, at least not for me.

Nothing is evident, you know Gauthier just about as much as you know what goes on inside the Pentagon. All you know of him is this image painted by fans and media. That's it. You think he doesn't trust anybody. I don't think it has anything to do with trust, and it's likely more about logistics. But even if it did, again, who freaking cares.

The only thing I care about is for the team to improve. The Gill trade was a good one.
Now I want him to keep moving whoever isn't part of the plan anymore, and get good returns. Whoever will be here next year, will need to work on enforcing the D.
I really couldn't care less if Gauthier trusts players after they're traded or not, nor do I give two craps about whether or not they have to wait 45min or more before being told which city they're going to.

Last edited by Kriss E: 02-20-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Habs

Wish we could have sweetened the deal and got Tootoo out of there.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Took this from the Preds and Trade board but the deal was supposed to be bigger according to Poile

David Poile just said on the radio that the Gill deal had the potential to be a bigger one, but it didn't come together.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:08 PM
yianik

Quote:
Took this from the Preds and Trade board but the deal was supposed to be bigger according to Poile

David Poile just said on the radio that the Gill deal had the potential to be a bigger one, but it didn't come together.
AK Im guessing.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
llamateizer

@habsinsideout1
Texting just now w/ Hal Gill. His only regret about today's feature: he didn't say how "awesome" #Habs Carey Price is. Consider it done

OT:

Bell Centre: half this #Habs banner is injured, other half is traded

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:17 PM
rockjngo

Quote:

Tootoo was in rehab for alcohol. He's depressing.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Perrah

Quote:

Pretty vague statement though, chances are they wanted to take a shot with AK if I had to bet money on it. If suter or weber were to come back it would be too much to give up to risk not resigning them.

Hal Gill is a true role model through and through, too bad he lost a step and we have so many young D or I would take him back in a heart beat.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Possibly A.K.

Gauthier possibly asked for the 1st round pick, then. or a young center like Wilson

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
To be fair, it's unlikely that your job is one where sudden reassignment to new cities is as commonplace as it is for people who play professional sports.

Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of not trusting Gill (or any player) to keep things confidential. His ability to keep things under wraps is immaterial. It's the rest of the organization that would worry me if I were GM. The Montreal media is always hungry for a story and once you let slip too many details and the media gets ahold of it - well, things can go south real fast. Imagine if the media had reported that Gill had been traded to Nashville for a pick and Blake and someone else (lets say Toronto) decided to undercut us by offering more. Before the papers were sent to the league office. You can be damn sure that's what happened when Lindros was traded many years ago. It was caught then - would it be caught now?

Better to keep things quiet, even if it means keeping Gill in the dark for a few hours. That's no disrespect. Disrespect would have been calling him off the ice during practice and telling him he had been traded. This is just a practical consideration given the realities of dealing with being in Montreal.
Perhaps but let's face it , protecting the integrity of the transaction is really another way of saying to the player they aren't trusted with the information.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:31 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Pretty vague statement though, chances are they wanted to take a shot with AK if I had to bet money on it. If suter or weber were to come back it would be too much to give up to risk not resigning them.

Hal Gill is a true role model through and through, too bad he lost a step and we have so many young D or I would take him back in a heart beat.
Are you kidding?

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Habs fans can really be ridiculous at times.
Seriously! IMO its obvious that PG doesn't want Gill finding out he's been traded by Tony Marinaro, and further doesn't want to get his hopes up or down on a location. Imagine "hey, Hal you and your family are going to Hollywood! Oh wait, check that, you're going to Edmonton.. My bad." Lol

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Are you kidding?
Kidding about what? If you are referring to Nashville trading them, I know they wouldnt in the heat of a playoff race but I was covering all angles of the "something bigger". I know right crazy, I should probably just fall down a flight of stairs for thinking so vaguely of a precise term like something bigger.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Who knows, maybe the Habs were after Radulov and the Preds didn't want to give up on him. Bourque, Wilson all possible but indeed a big price to pay for AK

Old
02-20-2012, 02:25 PM
overlords
Hfboards

As per habsprospects in the Hamilton thread, Boomer was given another assist in last nights game, so 5 points in 2 games.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Perhaps but let's face it , protecting the integrity of the transaction is really another way of saying to the player they aren't trusted with the information.
I think the problem comes from the other team leaking information out. Say one of the Preds executives tells one of the media guys that this trade is gonna go down, so atleast this way PG gives Gill a heads up about the trade and protects the other GM by not saying to what team.

All the insiders know so much information now, Carter and Richards found out about their trades thru their agents who were hearing word of the possible trade from the media. By the time Holmgerm spoke both of them after the official deal went down both already knew...

Last edited by habs03: 02-20-2012 at 03:35 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote