HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Interested in Martin Gerber? (article)

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Sabres Interested in Martin Gerber? (article)

http://rochesterdandc.com/sports/ame...1_amerks.shtml

(November 11, 2003) — Could the Buffalo Sabres have a new goalie by the time they come to Rochester for Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils?

There certainly seems to be a possibility, based upon the turnout of front-office personnel from the Sabres and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim at Monday’s AHL game between the Rochester Americans and Cincinnati Mighty Ducks.

Sure, Monday’s game provided the brass from both teams a chance to see their prospects. But it also was a chance to see what’s down on the farm.

The Ducks may very well be trying to move goalie Martin Gerber, the backup to J.S. Giguere, who rarely plays. Gerber, a native of Switzerland, was 6-11-3 with a 1.95 goals-against average and .929 save percentage last season, his first in North America.

The Sabres remain unsure whether Martin Biron or Mika Noronen can be their every day goalie, so there could very well be trade talks between the teams.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier and assistant Larry Carriere were at the game in the Amerks’ suite. Two sections over were Ducks player personal director Tim Murray and scouts Floyd Smith, Tom Watt and Brent Flahr.

The Sabres quite likely were also eyeing Cincinnati wingers Alexei Smirnov, a first-round pick in 2000 who played 52 NHL games last season as a rookie, and Michael Holmqvist, a first-round pick in 1997 who is playing in North America for the first time.

This idea doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but here you have it.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:48 AM
Kruschiki

it makes sense if Biron's on the move.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:19 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Ruckus - I'm loving the new avatar, heh.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:42 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I think there are two ways this could go:

A) The Sabres have a deal to move Biron and they're looking for a golaie like Ilya Bryzgalov to fill the Amerks net the rest of the year,

B) Ruff's distrust of Noronen has led Regier to look for a hot back up like Gerber instead.

or it could be C)

None of the above.

Perhaps they are just talking about possible deals that reshuffle some of the Sabres excess NHL depth players?

Old
11-11-2003, 04:13 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
If the Sabres are interested in Gerber, it's obvious one of Noronen or Biron is gone. But I don't see where the writer provided any evidence that the Sabres are interested in Gerber. It's almost like he picked Gerber's name out of thin air. It's quite a leap to conclude that because scouts are at an AHL game, there's interest in an NHL backup.

I'm still trying to figure out what revelation Oklobjiza was trying to convey by this earth-shattering statement, Sure, Monday’s game provided the brass from both teams a chance to see their prospects. But it also was a chance to see what’s down on the farm.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what revelation Oklobjiza was trying to convey by this earth-shattering statement, Sure, Monday’s game provided the brass from both teams a chance to see their prospects. But it also was a chance to see what’s down on the farm.
That one had me scratching my head as well.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:00 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
I hope this is true.Get rid of Noronen or whatever.I'm sick of this trio of goalies and how frugal Regier is.Remember when Norenen was named THN Prospect of the year?If he traded him then, he would have gotten a lot back in return.Now, we would be lucky to have a 2nd round pick.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Jerky Leclerc

From a Ducks perspective, why would Anaheim trade Gerber for another goaltender? There have been talks about the Ducks moving Gerber in part of a package for Comrie. If that is the case, Tim Murray may be checking out Bryzgalov to see if he is ready for NHL duty. But I don't get the connection between Anaheim and Buffalo. I don't think there are any.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
From a Ducks perspective, why would Anaheim trade Gerber for another goaltender? There have been talks about the Ducks moving Gerber in part of a package for Comrie. If that is the case, Tim Murray may be checking out Bryzgalov to see if he is ready for NHL duty. But I don't get the connection between Anaheim and Buffalo. I don't think there are any.
Biron/Noronen probably wouldn't be going to Anaheim. A Ducks/Sabres deal could be struck if Regier already has a destination for Biron/Noronen in a separate deal. Based on the article, which is questionable at best, the Sabres could be looking to acquire a package of Smirnov + Gerber. Gerber could be used to either backup Biron or Noronen, whichever one is kept, thus allowing Miller to continue developing in Rochester, or to take over in Rochester, thus allowing Miller to be called up.

So what are Anaheim's needs anyway?

Old
11-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Gerber's 29 years old. Maybe Edmonton is looking for a younger goalie or someone more established as a starter. Could it be that the Ducks are trying to trade for Biron and then flipping him to Edmonton in a deal for Comrie? There's been a lot of noises in Buffalo that they need an established no 1 goalie. Maybe Salo's a guy they're interested in. On the flip-side, Buffalo is also reportedly interested in Comrie. Might they need something from the Ducks to make a deal with Edmonton? There's a lot of possibilities for a 3-way deal here and Regier has a history of making deals where one is contingent on another.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I wonder if something like this has any legs:

To Anaheim:

Roy and Afinogenov

To Edmonton:

Lupul

To Buffalo:

Comrie

Old
11-11-2003, 06:27 AM
Jerky Leclerc

The consensus in Anaheim is that Gerber should be starting in the NHL. He is a capable #1 goaltender in his prime right now.

I can see Buffalo and Edmonton swapping Biron for Salo. But where does Anaheim fall into that picture. Bryan Murray wants Comrie and has had a few discussions with Lowe about it. Whether he is trying to acquire assets from Buffalo to include it in a deal with Edmonton could be a possibility. But I think that is a stretch.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Takeo

To Anaheim:
RW Maxim Afinogenov
EDM 4th

To Buffalo:
C Mike Comrie

To Edmonton:
C Derek Roy
G Martin Gerber

Old
11-11-2003, 06:35 AM
Takeo

To Anaheim:
RW Maxim Afinogenov
EDM 3rd

To Buffalo:
C Mike Comrie

To Edmonton:
C Derek Roy
G Martin Gerber

Old
11-11-2003, 06:39 AM
Kruschiki

I have a hard time believing Buffalo would give up Roy.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:39 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Why on earth would the Sabres deal Biron for Salo?

Salo is almost twice as expensive, his numbers are in the toilet this year after having an off year last year, and Salo's older and has an injured groin to boot.

I can't see anyone taking Salo off the Oilers hands right now unless it's the Wings in a CuJo deal. And we know that's not happening.

Unless the Oilers are giving the Sabres Salo and Comrie for Biron. And even that's a stretch.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:40 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
I have a hard time believing Buffalo would give up Roy.
It would make sense only if they added a player like Comrie that they think can make a big impact this season and is young enough to be around for the long haul.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:35 AM
SabreHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
It would make sense only if they added a player like Comrie that they think can make a big impact this season and is young enough to be around for the long haul.
Darcy, please don't trade Roy!!!!!!

Old
11-11-2003, 07:46 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Darcy, please don't trade Roy!!!!!!
I actually doubt you'll have to worry about that. His name has just been tossed in on these boards along with Lupul as prospects Edmonton might jump at for Comrie.

Realistically, I could see a Smirnov/Afinogenov deal worked out between the Ducks and Sabres or possibly a Smirnov/Noronen deal if the Ducks intend on offering Gerber+ up for Comrie. As much as I'd like to see it, I really don't think Darcy is in the running for Mike.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Now that I have time to write a reaction to the article I posted: I basically agree with with Jerky Leclerc, I think this is more coincidence than anything else, especially with the Sabres playing in Rochester tomorrow. I don't really see how Gerber makes the goalie situation a lot better even if a trade of Biron/Noronen to a third party is in the works. Sure he's older and does a pretty good job but doesn't really fit the qualifications of a "veteran back up goalie" to me. At least not what I think the Sabres need in that position anyway. Someone more like Corey Schwab is who I think Buffalo should try to get.

Thanks Lecherous, stop all the downloading!

Old
11-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Amerk

Quote:
... Salo's older and has an injured groin to boot.
That seems a bit sadistic, but I'm sure Edmonton fans have considered it.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:26 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
something about a boot to the groin?

Old
11-11-2003, 04:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Theres no way Sabres let go of Derek Roy. They've already hyped him up alot and he's proving it with his stats.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I wonder if something like this has any legs:

To Anaheim:

Roy and Afinogenov

To Edmonton:

Lupul