HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Khabibulin Injured Groin (2 Weeks); Yann Danis Recalled

Old
02-20-2012, 02:02 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
but after last year he was suppoed to be at least #1B and he's regressed. he hasn't been very good at all this year, regardless of what is in front of him. bad defense doesn't let in weak goals.

both the Oilers goalies have for the most part been no better than average this year. Denis should get a fair chance to show what he can do. having some big saves instead of some bad goals would really make a difference in the mental makeup of the team. knowing a goalie will make the stop.
He hasn't regressed. He unfortunately hasn't gained either. He would have been #1B had Khabiboulin not started the season so hot.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers are really now gunning for 1st overall if they are going to play Dubnyk every night.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He hasn't regressed. He unfortunately hasn't gained either. He would have been #1B had Khabiboulin not started the season so hot.
Actually he has regressed. Dubnyk had a pretty respectable season last year, behind an awful defense. Going into this year, it was suppose to be his season to play the majority of the games, but he has been quite a bit worse and it looks like he will be running out of chances soon.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
lol what does that even mean? And yes, it does matter who is in net. If your goalie stinks, the team sags and plays worse. If your goalie is great, it gives confidence to everyone from the defense to the forwards. Pretty simple and obvious stuff right there.
Expecting a young developing goalie to carry the worst team in the NHL two years in a row that hasnt made any improvements is crazy.

Hasek in his prime couldnt help this sad sack of a team.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Actually he has regressed. Dubnyk had a pretty respectable season last year, behind an awful defense. Going into this year, it was suppose to be his season to play the majority of the games, but he has been quite a bit worse and it looks like he will be running out of chances soon.
He let's in so many soft goals it's ridiculous. He's not using his size effectively at all.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
AK Dandyman

Got to start Dubnyk against Calgary, he may be career back up material, but you don't want to destroy his confidence. Give him the net.

If DD doesn't play well against Calgary, then start Danis against Philly. Since it's an East conf team, you are being fair and don't upset teams fighting for the playoff in the same conference if Danis bombed.

LA and Phx would be mad if we play a career AHL goalie against Calgary and get lit up.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Expecting a young developing goalie to carry the worst team in the NHL two years in a row that hasnt made any improvements is crazy.

Hasek in his prime couldnt help this sad sack of a team.
Where did I say I expect a young developing goalie to carry the team? You said having a good goalie wouldn't make a difference. Funny you bring up Hasek, a guy who almost singlehandedly carried Buffalo to the finals, and nearly won it. Look at Calgary when Kipper isn't playing, or Detroit when Conklin is playing, or Chicago when Crawford is struggling or Montreal when Price is on the bench, etc, etc...

A good goalie makes a world of difference, and the Oilers don't have one.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I, for one, blame the losing culture of the franchise for Khabibulin's injury

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysauce View Post
Danis better get a start. His numbers are insane.

21-10-1
1.98 GAA
.926 SP
5 Shut outs.

Play the guy.
^Agreed!

Its hard for me to cheer for this team every time Dubs is in net. Even when he makes a save, he has no clue where the puck is.

Close your bloody legs Dubs! Or better yet, retire!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
How many of those bad goals resulted from brutal defensive turnovers?

I just think Dubnyk doesnt adjust his positioning quickly enough. It is like he needs to see the play develop in front of him or else he isnt ready. This results in "bad" goals. A great goalie has no problem doing this.

You may call the goal by booth of off the Smyth turnover or the screen shot from the point "bad" goals but they were both direct results of bad turnovers that didnt give Dubnyk time to adjust to the play.

A turnover prone team and a goalie who is slow to adjust is a deadly combination. Expecting Dubnyk to put up good numbers with the joke of a team he has in front of him is unfair. Luongo wouldnt last two weeks here right now.
A bad goal is by definition a goal that should have been stopped.
The play that precedes the goal is of no consequence.
Dubnyk lets in an average of 1 bad goal per game and has done so since he was a full time call up to the Oilers. Thats too much for most teams and when you consider that this team is well on its way of being one of the worst in NHL history then its a no brainier.

Now I am not saying that the Oilers defence is fine because it isn't but Dubnyks issues have to do with his ability (or lack there of) alone.

He will never be a quality #1 goalie...book it.

I am going to predict that Tambo will do nothing to upgrade the defnce and nothing to upgrade the goaltending.

We are looking at the top 7 dmen and the goaltending tandem for next season so enjoy.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Krut

I can't believe people are still making excuses for Dubnyk. He's a terrible goaltender. Plain and simple. If we iced Nashville's defence in front of him it wouldn't make a difference - he's still terrible.

For the people who still believe he's worth keeping - what single attribute is Dubnyk good at? I honestly can't think of one.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I can't believe people are still making excuses for Dubnyk. He's a terrible goaltender. Plain and simple. If we iced Nashville's defence in front of him it wouldn't make a difference - he's still terrible.

For the people who still believe he's worth keeping - what single attribute is Dubnyk good at? I honestly can't think of one.
Nitpicking, but attributes are characteristics...his height for example would be a positive attribute.

Now if you ask what skills he possesses as a goaltender that are better than most in the NHL, I would say I can't think of any.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Rawg
CEM

This is his chance to prove himself..like all of last year

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I don't think he could be much worse than the performances we've been getting for the past 15-20 games or so. Some goalies are late bloomers. I have a really good feeling about him for some reason--have for a couple years now--and my gut instinct is surprisingly accurate. Crossing my fingers that he comes in a kills it in all his starts, we re-sign him, and he then becomes 'our guy' for the next few seasons until Bunz is near ready. That's hoping for a lot, but this guy has tons of pro experience, and I think it's just taken him a while to put everything together. Rarely do goalies 'get it together' and are consistent until about they're about 26 or so.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
dnicks17

We should leave Danis down in OKC and just claim Conklin for the two weeks that Khabi is out.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
We should leave Danis down in OKC and just claim Conklin for the two weeks that Khabi is out.
2006.. never forget

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

He is worth keeping. Just not as a starter.

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

If Dubnyk loses, the blame goes to the defense. I Khabby loses, Khabby gets blamed. Double standard I say.

02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers are really now gunning for 1st overall if they are going to play Dubnyk every night.
You'd rather see them start Danis more than Dubnyk?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Asher

Right before the deadline. I'm honestly starting to believe this team is cursed.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
You'd rather see them start Danis more than Dubnyk?
I don't I'd prefer we stay on pace for the 2nd overall pick

02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Harley

Anybody hear if Roy was called up to replace Danis on the farm? Or someone else? Just curious. And lazy. lol

Hope Danis gets a few starts just to have a look see.

I guess this answers the odd situation we had earlier this year with the Khabby mystery ailments. I bet his groin has been giving him trouble off and on all year. And maybe lend a bit of credence to a rumour I read where he may even retire at the end of this year. Groins can be a major problem. And for a late 30's goalie it may be the end of the line.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a whole new tandem of net minders come next fall.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Bergeron47

Ty Conklin is 3-5 with .878 SV% & 3.40 GAA

On the 1st place team in the NHL with the 2nd best goal differential.

He's accounted for 29.4% of the Wings losses and has Been the deciding goalie for 13.3% of the teams games.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
If Dubnyk loses, the blame goes to the defense. I Khabby loses, Khabby gets blamed. Double standard I say.
Thanks for posting this. I missed it the first 100 times you made this entirely specious point on the boards.

While you're here, perhaps you could share your thoughts on NHL officiating as it pertains to the Oilers.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Eddy Oiler*

This really sucks. Just when i thought someone was gonna take this guy off our hands. I just want someone brought in before next season starts. Duby will never ever ever be a #1.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote