HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Nash: Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
It means that Stralman was teammates with Nash in Columbus, so he probably wouldn't be saying bad things about him either.
Couldn't it also be said that he has more insight into what kind of player he is than the majority of people in NY who have seen him play 2 or 3 times since he joined the league?

Old
02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
It would be nothing more than Wolski to be made "worth it"
False.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If the general idea around hockey is that Rick Nash should be a perennial 80+ point player, then what CLB is asking for is about on par.
Who cares what they're asking for? It's all about what teams are willing to pay. Whatever the reason, over ten years, Nash has fallen short of that benchmark. There may be a chance or even an expectation that he can be that perennial 80+ point player. He is certainly paid to be a perennial 80+ point player. However, he has simply not been a perennial 80+ point player, and there is a definite risk that he will fail to reach that expectation going forward. Given that he's already paid to be that 80+ point player, his trade value should be diminished.

Columbus may be looking for the return associated with an 80+ point player, but it would be foolish to pay that price, because he simply has not proven that is what he is, despite his contract. If he was getting paid like a 60-70 point player and there was some upside in the chance that he would outproduce his cap hit, he'd have significantly more value. As it stands, at best, he's going to be worth that $7.8m contract. At worst, he's going to be an overpaid 60-70 point player. Giving up the type of assets Columbus is looking to acquire to take that chance is a stupid gamble, imo.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Personally I wouldn't trade McDonagh straight up for Nash.

Not interested in moving Kreider--unless we're talking about someone like (a healthy)Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk or Ovechkin type player coming back the other way. Nash just doesn't quite do it. The Blue Jackets don't have a player that I would include Kreider in a deal for.
Dude,no way in hell would i give up MDZ,R.M,M.Staal or D.G for really anyone in the league...These guys are elite and elite d-men are very hard to come by.Defense wins championships.

Kreider I woudlnt move unless it was sick package going both ways. CBJ is not a well built team,just by watching them last night,no wonder Mason's #'s are horrible.CB is a bad team.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Couldn't it also be said that he has more insight into what kind of player he is than the majority of people in NY who have seen him play 2 or 3 times since he joined the league?
Sure. I guess you could look at it like that too.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

While I've been intrigued by Carter, due to what I woud expect would be a depressed market for him, frankly you can't gambie with contract. Pass.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Guys Nash is awesome, why question that? He may not fit this yr but if we wherein the sixth seed we may be saying go for it
Why would being a 6th seed trying to make a push for a higher seed mean that we would be saying, go for it, over being a #1 seed going for the cup? That said, if MDZ and McD had the type of season they're having, there's no way we should be trading them, 6th seed or not.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Who cares what they're asking for? It's all about what teams are willing to pay. Whatever the reason, over ten years, Nash has fallen short of that benchmark. There may be a chance or even an expectation that he can be that perennial 80+ point player. He is certainly paid to be a perennial 80+ point player. However, he has simply not been a perennial 80+ point player, and there is a definite risk that he will fail to reach that expectation going forward. Given that he's already paid to be that 80+ point player, his trade value should be diminished.

Columbus may be looking for the return associated with an 80+ point player, but it would be foolish to pay that price, because he simply has not proven that is what he is, despite his contract. If he was getting paid like a 60-70 point player and there was some upside in the chance that he would outproduce his cap hit, he'd have significantly more value. As it stands, at best, he's going to be worth that $7.8m contract. At worst, he's going to be an overpaid 60-70 point player. Giving up the type of assets Columbus is looking to acquire to take that chance is a stupid gamble, imo.
I agree that it depends on what people are willing to pay but I will be the first to say that there are more knowledgeable people when it comes to hockey than myself. If the general feeling around THE ENTIRE NHL is that Nash is truly an 80+ point winger than what they are asking for is not out of the realm of possibility.

Right now, Nash is pretty much on par with Gaborik when he was UFA (27) as Gaborik had injury concerns but had a higher p/g ratio.

If the Rangers had Gaborik signed for 6 more years at 27 and were looking to move him, I would look for something like:

Dubinsky + Erixon + Thomas + 1st

Am I willing to pay that for Nash? No.

But it kind of makes more sense as to why CLB is asking for that much if the general consensus is that his value is on par with an 80 point player perennially.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I think the Rangers should make a serious offer to Montreal for Max Pacioretty. Montreal is one of the few definite sellers. I'm not saying give MCD back (lol) but this guys has some serious upside. He's a LW and is going to crack 30+ goals this season with almost as many assists. No, he is not of Nash's calibur, but Nash is not worth it in so many ways that trading for an alternative guy would be much wiser.

His cap hit is only $1.63M and it will remain that way until 2014 when he's an RFA. Obviously Montreal would have to be heavily convinced to trade him but we have the defensive pieces they desperately need.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
The Sweetness

While I would prefer not to get Nash and instead save room for trying to get Parise this summer, he is getting really underrated by some people on here. His ability to consistently score goals playing on a poor team is very impressive.

I do think Nash could relly blossom playing on a strong team that has the chance of competing for the cup. It is pretty clear he has stagnated playing his entire career on a team that constantly finishes outside the playoffs. If we get him I would be a bit concerned he would have to unlearn some bad habits, but I would be confident that Torts could fix that. I also think Richards would really enjoy playing alongside a big bodied sniper, which would be a huge boost if if he kick start Richards.

If Parise was not potentially available this summer this could be an interesting move depending of course on the asking price as I personally feel Nash should be available at a discount price given his contract (without a doubt none of MDZ, McD or Stepan). I think I would have to think hard about this but pass given his contract.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Guys Nash is awesome, why question that? He may not fit this yr but if we wherein the sixth seed we may be saying go for it
He is an awesome player. I don't think any one is questioning his talent level. It is about the capspace he occupies and the assets that it would take to acquire him in a trade. However, I don't think either will be that big of a problem.

Sure he is over paid but the man can put the puck in the net, plain and simple. Cap wise I think we could make it work. It would be tight, but we could make it work.

Assets wise I think both Howson and HFboards faithful over estimated the market for a player like Rick Nash. Taking into consideration cap hit, contract length and CBA uncertainty, I think Howson may have overplayed his hand here and is now pot committed. He thought teams on Nash's list would be lining up to over pay for Nash and Howson was foaming at the mouth over possible returns. That has not happened and will not happen.This is why he has literally been pushing Rick Nash on Philly.

Why would a GM do that? Well there are a few different reasons but I don't think Howson is smart enough to do it to gain leverage against other potential buyers. I think he is doing it because Philly may have been the closest to forking up a return that wouldn't make him look like a complete fool considering what his original expectations were as far as a possible return for Rick Nash. Howson IMO has actually lost leverage against potential buyers, not gained it.

Also, I don't buy the ******** that Howson could gain more for said player during the entry level draft.

With regards to the Rangers. Sather isn't giving up McDonagh, Del Zotto, or Stepan. At this point the only way Nash comes to the Rangers is on Sathers terms and that is something I am completely okay with. A bidding war would drive up the price tremendously but with how ****** Howson has handled the situation he has backed himself into the corner and I believe Nash could be had for alot less than what most of us think it will take.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Using common sense, sneaky....

Old
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Nash is great - his contract is horrible. What about this is difficult to understand? There's a salary cap - cap cost matters. Do you realise how much 7.8m is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If the general idea around hockey is that Rick Nash should be a perennial 80+ point player, then what CLB is asking for is about on par.
He's been this once in 9 years.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I just read now that Pierre Lebraun says NYR is willing to offer a package of Kreider,Erixon/JT Miller and a 1st rounder....This is the text message i recieved...All i know is i dont like see'ing Kreiders name popping up left and right.

Dubi,Erixon and a 1st..Im good with..Sather is apparently not worried about the cap hit,im curious as to why..?

Old
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I think the Rangers should make a serious offer to Montreal for Max Pacioretty. Montreal is one of the few definite sellers. I'm not saying give MCD back (lol) but this guys has some serious upside. He's a LW and is going to crack 30+ goals this season with almost as many assists. No, he is not of Nash's calibur, but Nash is not worth it in so many ways that trading for an alternative guy would be much wiser.

His cap hit is only $1.63M and it will remain that way until 2014 when he's an RFA. Obviously Montreal would have to be heavily convinced to trade him but we have the defensive pieces they desperately need.
That I could get behind...our kind of guy and very productive for the cap cost.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
I just read now that Pierre Lebraun says NYR is willing to offer a package of Kreider,Erixon/JT Miller and a 1st rounder....This is the text message i recieved...All i know is i dont like see'ing Kreiders name popping up left and right.

Dubi,Erixon and a 1st..Im good with..Sather is apparently not worried about the cap hit,im curious as to why..?
I'm thinking Columbus is going to want at least 1 roster player in return and not just prospects/picks.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

Not happening. He's their best player and it would take way too much to get him. It's a moot point probably anyway since I doubt they have any intention at all of trading him.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:24 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I'm thinking Columbus is going to want at least 1 roster player in return and not just prospects/picks.
i agree,im just posting the text i recieved..It also said Sather doesnt wanna break up any of the roster players,which is the point of an all prospect deal.... Howson is playing hardball too much,i think nash will go elsewhere and Sather will tell him go take a ****ing hike.

I really dont want nash,talk Bobby Ryan,thats a whole other ball game!

Old
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post

Pierre Lebrun sends you text messages?

Old
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I really hope they dont trade kreider. That would be awful

Old
02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Pierre Lebrun sends you text messages?
No a friend probably texted him that

Old
02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
here's the link, it doesn mention Dubinsky:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...s-getting-nash
"The Blue Jackets almost certainly want one of young stud Rangers blueliners Michael Del Zotto or Ryan McDonagh as part of the package, and thatís a tough pill to swallow for the Blueshirts, who have no interest in moving either one. The Rangers, I think, would rather blow away the Jackets mostly with top prospects off their NHL roster, the likes of Chris Kreider, J.T. Miller or Tim Erixon, plus throw in a first-round pick. The Rangers would have to add an NHL player in the mix to help make the math work under the cap, and Brandon Dubinsky is the solution cited most often."

Old
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

The only solace I have in these rumors is that there is no possible way that Nash would fit capwise on this team going forward after this season. Unless Sather knows something we don't about what the CBA is going to be like after this season, trading for a player making 7.8 million makes ZERO sense.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Franko097

Quote:
Not just that, but we can't afford to do that trade without sending a roster player (Dubi) back for cap reasons.

I can't fathom Sather parting with Krieder under any circumstance. I'd be somewhat surprised, but not shocked, if he agreed to part with either Miller or Erixon either.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
here's the link, it doesn mention Dubinsky:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...s-getting-nash
"The Blue Jackets almost certainly want one of young stud Rangers blueliners Michael Del Zotto or Ryan McDonagh as part of the package, and thatís a tough pill to swallow for the Blueshirts, who have no interest in moving either one. The Rangers, I think, would rather blow away the Jackets mostly with top prospects off their NHL roster, the likes of Chris Kreider, J.T. Miller or Tim Erixon, plus throw in a first-round pick. The Rangers would have to add an NHL player in the mix to help make the math work under the cap, and Brandon Dubinsky is the solution cited most often."
That sounds like an old rumor

Closed Thread