HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A veteran 2nd-line center to Washington.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Capathetic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Grabovski for Colorado's 1st rd pick. Semin is gone and Grabo would be a great fit for the Caps long term.
Those first rounders are more valuable to the caps than a rental would be. Grabs is nice but They could have him this summer and a potential blue chip prospect...as hes not the difference in beating boston or the Nyr.

Capathetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
oilers4life5

If you like Horcoff we will take back any bad contract you have. We might throw in Peckham too!

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
If you like Horcoff we will take back any bad contract you have. We might throw in Peckham too!
Funny how Horcoff at 5.5M for 3 more years is a massive anchor, when Brooks Laich has given the Caps the exact same production this year (11-18-29), making just 1M less than Horcoff with the same number of years left. Hated that contract when we first signed it, hate it even more now.

Last edited by Zoidberg Jesus: 02-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Maple Leafs are not sellers, and no one in their right mind is going to take the Horcoff contract.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:36 PM
T1ny Warr1or

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Grabovski for Colorado's 1st rd pick. Semin is gone and Grabo would be a great fit for the Caps long term.
This is something I would seriously look at as Brian Burke, maybe add a couple prospects in to balance things out? The Leafs homer in me is saying Washington may need to add something small, late round pick, but that is probably just the homer in me

T1ny Warr1or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Xelstyle

If the Flames burn out badly, Jokinen?

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Do either Carter or Vermette fit your idea of veteran 2nd line center? I'm a fan of Orlov and Johansson but won't even suggest a proposal....it's HF, you know?

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
um

anyone of plekanec, roy, vermette would do fine. lets not just get another old player out of gas again

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Derek Roy would be a great fit and has a good contract, it would need to inolve you 1st +

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Funny how Horcoff at 5.5M for 3 more years is a massive anchor, when Brooks Laich has given the Caps the exact same production this year (11-18-29), making just 1M less than Horcoff with the same number of years left. Hated that contract when we first signed it, hate it even more now.
not all that versed on horcoff. does he play both first pp unit and first pk unit? can he play scoring line forward as well as shutdown checking center? he is top 6 capable on d?

brooks laich is a solid $3.5m level player at his one primary position. that he can play at the same level at all three forward spots and be equally effective on an offensive line or a defensive one and play in all situations makes him worth more in a salary cap league because he is so versitile.

that he can play defense as well as most actual nhl defensemen is worth $1m extra right there. like it or not all that is worth money

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
anyone of plekanec, roy, vermette would do fine. lets not just get another old player out of gas again
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not quite the same..

Old
02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Do either Carter or Vermette fit your idea of veteran 2nd line center? I'm a fan of Orlov and Johansson but won't even suggest a proposal....it's HF, you know?
Trading either of these two is a horrible idea. You do not trade a potential top 2 D and a top 6 C/W who are both under 21 for rentals. Orlov is a rising superstar and MoJo will be a solid contributor in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
I'll vomit if we trade anything more than a 4th round pick and a game worn Ovie jersey for Vermette.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Hockey 4 Life

You could get tim connolly out of toronto for probably a 3rd round pick and he only is signed for one more year so theres not much commitment if he flops and you dont have to give up any major pieces.

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not all that versed on horcoff. does he play both first pp unit and first pk unit? can he play scoring line forward as well as shutdown checking center? he is top 6 capable on d?

brooks laich is a solid $3.5m level player at his one primary position. that he can play at the same level at all three forward spots and be equally effective on an offensive line or a defensive one and play in all situations makes him worth more in a salary cap league because he is so versitile.

that he can play defense as well as most actual nhl defensemen is worth $1m extra right there. like it or not all that is worth money
He's their shutdown center, just like Laich is for us. Faces by far the toughest competition amongst regular forwards on the Oilers (just like Laich), with very few offensive zone starts (just like Laich), and does just as well in those minutes as Laich, statistically speaking. No, he doesn't play defense as far as I know, but Laich hasn't really done that this year either. This season, they really are shockingly identical.

As far as Laich's versatility, I don't see it as justifying his price tag. We could have a shutdown 3C less than half his cost in a guy like Jay McClement or Manny Malhotra, and be spending the rest on secondary scoring that actually scores, instead of using Eakin and Perrault as a 2W. At the time, I wanted us to trade for McClement and sign Vrbata, who cost a combined 4.45M this year. Also wanted Sturm and Hannan to stay on with cheap contracts and got Ward and Hamrlik instead, but that's beside the point. For 4.5M, a 16-26-42 pace just isn't acceptable, regardless of whether he can play D if we really need him to.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Fitlanbox

I see the Laich situation like this: For that kind of money, I just don't see how you can justify him playing in a primarily checking role, regardless of his versatility. I like him on the PP and PK, and he fills the checking role well, but for that kind of money I think he either needs to A) Suddenly turn into the 2C the caps desperately need(not happening), or B) move back to 2LW and start putting up more points. I like his game a lot, but a serviceable third line checking center can be had for less, and I think his game is more suited to the wing anyway.

I think GMGM needs to take a long hard look at moving Wideman+Picks+ an Eakin or Galiev for a longterm solution at 2C, its probably a pipedream though.

Fitlanbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM
JetsHomer

Antropov

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitlanbox View Post
I see the Laich situation like this: For that kind of money, I just don't see how you can justify him playing in a primarily checking role, regardless of his versatility. I like him on the PP and PK, and he fills the checking role well, but for that kind of money I think he either needs to A) Suddenly turn into the 2C the caps desperately need(not happening), or B) move back to 2LW and start putting up more points. I like his game a lot, but a serviceable third line checking center can be had for less, and I think his game is more suited to the wing anyway.

I think GMGM needs to take a long hard look at moving Wideman+Picks+ an Eakin or Galiev for a longterm solution at 2C, its probably a pipedream though.

Hawks have a guy like that.Fella by the name of Bolland.Checking line center making 3m+ who we keep hoping turns into the 2LC so desperately needed.Got no problem justifying it tho,the effect he has on the Sedins is worth the price all by itself!!

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Red Dread

I can see this going into a Wideman for [insert team name]'s star 2nd/1st line center.

Red Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
I can see this going into a Wideman for [insert team name]'s star 2nd/1st line center.
Except he'd never get that kind of return because he's a UFA, so there's really no point to it. If he's traded, it will be for picks and/or prospects.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Mike Riberio for Colorado's 1st.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote