HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Just for fun I looked back at the 2005 U17 to see the stats...scoring #1 was Jon Toews...#2 was Kyle Bortis...Kyle who?

He plays CIS for U of Saskatchewan after a solid WHL career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80380

Just to show that you can judge talent only on the basis of one tournament.
You also conveniently forgot to mention Brad Marchand and Ryan White were tied for second in the tourney. Bortis and White playing with Toews too, while Hudon was the one leading the Q team.

You would've made a better case saying Asselin led the Q team in scoring a few years ago.

But if you just saw Hudon play, you'd know he's a legit talent. He has a similar ceiling to Cammalleri IMO. Very similar players.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
I'm not sure that would be great idea to trade up to draft a goalie. I know that Carey being with us for the next 5-6 years is far from being a sure thing but 2-3 years is pretty realistic.

I think that drafting the top goalie in a draft year has to be done if you need a goalie ASAP. This is not our case. I don't mind draft one with one of our 2nd round pick (Subban, Vasilevski or the 6'5'' one???) if they are available cause we really need to add some goalies to our prospect pool, but spending a 1st round pick on one is a very bad idea IMO.
I agree and also Trevor has a pretty decent drafting record in the second round:

2nd rounders drafted

Lapierre
Urquhart
Lats
Maxwell
Carle
P.K.

3 out of 6 is very good. That means with those two picks, Trevor could probably get one good player. If he has his mojo working, he could nail two players.

Kristo is the only other 2nd round he picked and it looks like he will be decent so it's 4 out of 7: 571 percentage

Old
02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
NotProkofievian

If we trade up into the 20's I should hope it would be for Hertl. Otherwise I would much rather stand pat with the 2 second rounders, assuming we don't move moen for yet another pick.

There's all kinds of players kicking around that late first, early second round that I would rather have over a goalie prospect for the reasons that goforit listed.

I don't know about you, but I would rather something like:

Galchenyuk
Nieves
Wilson

than

Galchenyuk
M. Subban

Old
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
If we trade up into the 20's I should hope it would be for Hertl. Otherwise I would much rather stand pat with the 2 second rounders, assuming we don't move moen for yet another pick.

There's all kinds of players kicking around that late first, early second round that I would rather have over a goalie prospect for the reasons that goforit listed.

I don't know about you, but I would rather something like:

Galchenyuk
Nieves
Wilson

than

Galchenyuk
M. Subban
Agreed. Really hoping Wilson slips to the second round so we can grab him.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Beakermania*

Subban is a great name and the bloodlines to PK are certainly something that is intriguing.

However he's a much different goalie than the types of guys we've gone after in recent years.

There has been an organizational philosophy (at least since the Price pick) to go after the big goalie who plays a positional game. This is seen in trades... (keeping Price over Halak, Desjardins for Ramo) in draft picks (Missaien, Simila) and in signings (Auld, Budaj, Sanford, Lawson, Mayer, Delmas). I dont know that Subban will be the type of Goalie who our organization typically likes.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Do you want to draft a potential Markov? I think most scouts and GM's will want to know how the recovery went/ is going before drafting the guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
We can only dream that pick will become a Markov
The first cautionary tale that comes to my mind is Ben Maxwell. A promising player with good raw skills, who missed a ton of games due to injury and hit a plateau. I know Galchenyuk was a more phenomenal talent than Maxwell, but I think the lesson is the same. The fact that he missed all this time at 17 years old is scarier - the younger the player, the more important games and practices become for consistent development.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
The first cautionary tale that comes to my mind is Ben Maxwell. A promising player with good raw skills, who missed a ton of games due to injury and hit a plateau. I know Galchenyuk was a more phenomenal talent than Maxwell, but I think the lesson is the same. The fact that he missed all this time at 17 years old is scarier - the younger the player, the more important games and practices become for consistent development.
We'll have our chance to evaluate his play come late season and playoffs.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Buffalo is almost surely going for a Centre too. They are 1 pt behind us with 1 game in hand. Falling below them should be an important goal for all tankers.
Take a look at their schedule over the next 2-3 weeks. It is beyond brutal. We'll need to lose both games we have left in Buffalo, while doing so in regulation, in order for them to overtake us, IMO.

As for Galchenyuk, there are plenty of players who have had a torn ACL (including the guy leading the league in points right now) and recovered just fine.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 02-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old
02-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
We'll have our chance to evaluate his play come late season and playoffs.
True that. My skepticism only has to do with his current ranking. I hope he returns soon and shoots out the lights, at the very least it will help the depth in the top 10!

Old
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
True that. My skepticism only has to do with his current ranking. I hope he returns soon and shoots out the lights, at the very least it will help the depth in the top 10!
I hope so too. He's exactly the kind of player we need.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Take a look at their schedule over the next 2-3 weeks. It is beyond brutal. We'll need to lose both games we have left in Buffalo, while doing so in regulation, in order for them to overtake us, IMO.
Never underestimate our team's own power to underachieve over these next 2-3 weeks.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
"Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory."

Here's hoping Sun Tzu knew his ****.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Protest the Hero

Goalie talk, where's Makarov projected to go?

Button doesn't have him in the top 61, and he's not in Mckenzie's list at all. Could we pick him up in the third round possibly? I know he's an overager, but he looked good in the WJC.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
I'm not sure that would be great idea to trade up to draft a goalie. I know that Carey being with us for the next 5-6 years is far from being a sure thing but 2-3 years is pretty realistic.

I think that drafting the top goalie in a draft year has to be done if you need a goalie ASAP. This is not our case. I don't mind draft one with one of our 2nd round pick (Subban, Vasilevski or the 6'5'' one???) if they are available cause we really need to add some goalies to our prospect pool, but spending a 1st round pick on one is a very bad idea IMO.
I certainly hope that Price is going to be our elite starter for the next 5+ seasons, but alot can change in a fairly short period of time...and right now we have nothing in goal in the organization outside of Price.

At any rate i'm not nearly familiar enough with this years draft crop, in particular the guys in the 20-40 range to suggest one way or another if it would be a good move to trade up for Subban, just throwing it out there.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Goalie talk, where's Makarov projected to go?

Button doesn't have him in the top 61, and he's not in Mckenzie's list at all. Could we pick him up in the third round possibly? I know he's an overager, but he looked good in the WJC.
Gillies would also be a good pick in the 3rd round. Pretty good season in USHL Quebec has big interest for him so maybe QMJHL next year. Could be a nice project with his huge 6'4 210 lbs frame. Even if Price got a long term deal, we could use another goaler as an asset just like Washington with Neuvirth, Varlamov and Holtby. You never have enough good goalies in an organization.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Gillies would also be a good pick in the 3rd round. Pretty good season in USHL Quebec has big interest for him so maybe QMJHL next year. Could be a nice project with his huge 6'4 210 lbs frame. Even if Price got a long term deal, we could use another goaler as an asset just like Washington with Neuvirth, Varlamov and Holtby. You never have enough good goalies in an organization.
That's the thing, even if Price is the long term solution we think he is.
a. you never know
b. even if you had nothing to worry about, having a player develop into a great backup who can then be flipped in a trade is never a bad thing

Nothing good can come out of having no goalie depth in the system.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
windycity

Quote:
Never underestimate our team's own power to underachieve over these next 2-3 weeks.
not to mention that we have a pretty tough road trip coming up

Old
02-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That's the thing, even if Price is the long term solution we think he is.
a. you never know
b. even if you had nothing to worry about, having a player develop into a great backup who can then be flipped in a trade is never a bad thing

Nothing good can come out of having no goalie depth in the system.
This. I remember the shock coming from Montreal when we drafted Price when we had Theodore at the top of his game. The fact is, while Price looks like a keeper, you can't go around with no goaltending prospects in the system.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
This. I remember the shock coming from Montreal when we drafted Price when we had Theodore at the top of his game. The fact is, while Price looks like a keeper, you can't go around with no goaltending prospects in the system.
The shock was simply because it was the 5th overall pick. Had it been a 2nd rounder, no one would have cared. That, and everyone thought Brule was a no-brainer.

I'd be happy with a goalie in the 3rd round. Gillies is intriguing with his frame and stats.

I would rather a goalie that is going the NCAA route. Let them take their time instead of two years in the Q, and knocking on the door in the AHL. Price has enough pressure as it is, we don't want the media to go berserk for some young goaltender that played in Quebec.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The shock was simply because it was the 5th overall pick. Had it been a 2nd rounder, no one would have cared. That, and everyone thought Brule was a no-brainer.

I'd be happy with a goalie in the 3rd round. Gillies is intriguing with his frame and stats.

I would rather a goalie that is going the NCAA route. Let them take their time instead of two years in the Q, and knocking on the door in the AHL. Price has enough pressure as it is, we don't want the media to go berserk for some young goaltender that played in Quebec.
Not everyone,Anze Kopitar was a surprise to me going to LA at 12th.Montreal needed a big center even then and Anze was that center the one I wanted.But I'm glad they took Price after seeing him in the WJC's the next year and winning the Calder in the AHL.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
not to mention that we have a pretty tough road trip coming up
We are actually decent on the road though, a .500 record as of now. Just another bizarre fact in this bizarre season.

With Carolina's demolition of Washington tonight, we are 1 point out of the 3rd pick. And Carolina will have 2 more ROWs.

But at the same time, it keeps this team still within 6 points of 8th. Gulp.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Beakermania*

we may have a decent road record but that trip to Western Canada is always killer.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:28 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
we may have a decent road record but that trip to Western Canada is always killer.
Can't kill what's already dead

Top 3, here we come!!!!

Old
02-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
I must say kudos to PG for stockpiling picks. Two 2nds this year, and two 2nds next year! And it's not over yet...
This is really gonna give some breathing room to Timmins. It's a numbers game, more picks = more chances. Can't wait for the draft!

Old
02-20-2012, 11:57 PM
brunosevigny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Right. But trading up in attempt to land Subban/Vasilevski would be a mistake. Even with our high 2nd DP im not sure I would go for a keeper. Thus if Subban falls to 30-35 it would be interesting to have both Subban's in the organisation. Think we shall draft a keeper this year if there is still an interesting one in the 2-3-4 round.

Closed Thread