HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Cappy76

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't understand why people are so excited about this Semin who is on a "hot streak" of less than a point per game.

Compare this guy to the Semin who scored 30 in 25 to start last season...then turned into a rat.

Or the Semin who scored 33 in 21 games before the Olympic break two years ago...then played like was absolutely disinterested in the NHL.

Or the Semin who scored in all but 11 games in 2009. So, 79 points in 51 games -absurd.

The only trend I see is that his high end potential is dropping.
or maybe he's found consistency and just hasn't gone god mode yet

Old
02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
or maybe he's found consistency and just hasn't gone god mode yet
Yeah. He's gone on runs like this before. Several times. And never found consistency. Why is this time different?

Old
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Capitlols

The hate is centered on a guy whose playing well and whose contract terminates at years end...not on the highest paid player in the league for the next decade, under achieving captain whose skills look like they're depreciating.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
The hate is centered on a guy whose playing well and whose contract terminates at years end...not on the highest paid player in the league for the next decade, under achieving captain whose skills look like they're depreciating.
Correct. The hate is not centered around a guy that's won two MVPs and single-handedly saved hockey in the market. I can't imagine why not..,

Old
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Correct. The hate is not centered around a guy that's won two MVPs and single-handedly saved hockey in the market. I can't imagine why not..,
Ah the argument from last year holds. He's forever vindicated from any blame or criticism.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Ah the argument from last year holds. He's forever vindicated from any blame or criticism.
Not any. He needs to play better. He has not been a dominant game-changing force in some time.

Nevertheless, still leading the team in goals and points. Top 20 in the league in goals. Top 5 in the league in PP goals.

Is it $9.5M good? No. Is it total suckage? No.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
But centering it around a guy who's quietly playing good two way hockey instead, now that makes sense.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
No, he's not. But he gets a hell of a lot more slack than Semin. And the current discussion is whether or not to retain Semin. That's not even a consideration with Ovechkin.

As BCF rightfully pointed out, Semin has these runs every year. It's fools gold. It's not indicative of what he'll bring on a consistent basis.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
But centering it around a guy who's quietly playing good two way hockey instead, now that makes sense.
Sure it does. He does this annually, and never keeps it up consistently.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
No, he's not. But he gets a hell of a lot more slack than Semin. And the current discussion is whether or not to retain Semin. That's not even a consideration with Ovechkin.

As BCF rightfully pointed out, Semin has these runs every year. It's fools gold. It's not indicative of what he'll bring on a consistent basis.
I know your a staunch OV supporter, but even you have to be discouraged, even worried by what your seeing from him, no? Beyond the stats the efforts not there and the passion looks lacking, nevermind no defensive awareness whatsoever.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I know your a staunch OV supporter, but even you have to be discouraged, even worried by what your seeing from him, no? Beyond the stats the efforts not there and the passion looks lacking, nevermind no defensive awareness whatsoever.
Sure I'm discouraged, and have said as much, indicating that the Caps won't go anywhere if he doesn't rediscover some semblance of his past form. I've been consistent in believing the #1 priority of the organization should be getting him right.

But that doesnt mean I have to bash him at every opportunity.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
OV single handedly turned the Caps into an elite team, at the very least he's owed some leeway for all he's done.....some of you band wagon fans who arrived in 2005 might not realize that but he catapulted this team into the headlines.

Do these stats look familiar?

2001-02 52g 44a 96pts
2002-03 36 g 32a 67pts
2003-04 41g 32a 73pts
2005-06 35g 32a 67pts
2006-07 39g 55a 94pts
2006-07 50g 48a 98pts

Jerome Iginla......everyone thought he was done too......let OV find his game...he's owed that much!

Old
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

We can place Backs on LTIR.

Then we (GMGM of course) can shop for a center.

If Backstrom will be OK to play in a month... he will need to stay on LTIR for about 2,5 weeks only. This time could be used to get back in shape (the best possible via practices). And then both NB and new center will play in post-season.

Do anybody here thinks he will be cleared in a month?
Do McPhee knows that for sure?

I think it's a possible scenario.

And McPhee discussing it (can't put him on LTIR blablabla) seems to be just for price negotiation purposes.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Sure I'm discouraged, and have said as much, indicating that the Caps won't go anywhere if he doesn't rediscover some semblance of his past form. I've been consistent in believing the #1 priority of the organization should be getting him right.

But that doesnt mean I have to bash him at every opportunity.
Not trying to bash him at every opportunity. Its just mind boggling to me that people always find ways to hate on Semin or Laich even when they're playing well, but they're seemingly oblivious to OV's piss poor play. This team as currently constructed goes as far as OV will take them. Which isn't reassuring right now.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Sure it does. He does this annually, and never keeps it up consistently.
Unlike all those other super consistent marquee players we have

Old
02-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
We can place Backs on LTIR.

Then we (GMGM of course) can shop for a center.

If Backstrom will be OK to play in a month... he will need to stay on LTIR for about 2,5 weeks only. This time could be used to get back in shape (the best possible via practices). And then both NB and new center will play in post-season.

Do anybody here thinks he will be cleared in a month?
Do McPhee knows that for sure?

I think it's a possible scenario.

And McPhee discussing it (can't put him on LTIR blablabla) seems to be just for price negotiation purposes.
Given that he's not even skating yet seeing him before the postseason is extremely unlikely. I'm guessing they're either worried about the off chance that he's ready to go in late march and they're 3-4 points out and would be dying for his return to make it. That or there's no one within reach worth getting.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not trying to bash him at every opportunity. Its just mind boggling to me that people always find ways to hate on Semin or Laich even when they're playing well, but they're seemingly oblivious to OV's piss poor play. This team as currently constructed goes as far as OV will take them. Which isn't reassuring right now.
What you're calling hate regarding Semin is reality. I don't hate the guy. Hell if he stayed healthy and put in the 50g 90+ point season I know he's capable of and gave 100 percent for a year, he would earn respect from the fans who aren't so easily enamoured with his flashy 60% effort and 60+ games a year resume.

Ovy is absolutely stinking up the joint, but he's the franchise, Semin isn't.

Your energy would be well directed if it was at the architect of this team instead of trying to deflect from Semin.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Unlike all those other super consistent marquee players we have
Well, actually, until last season, yeah.

Ovechkin, especially, was the most consistent star in the league for his first 5 seasons.

Semin has never been consistent in his 6 seasons.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:34 PM
artilector

The scary thing about Ovi is that he has regressed even though physically he seems fine. What happens when he actually loses a step or injuries start to accumulate? What happens if public opinion turns against him?

Nobody's really talking about him in part because trading him seems so unrealistic, as far as the Caps' brass goes... I mean, there are hypothetical scenarios, and then there's this.

But his contract is a doomsday weapon at this point, the kind that can turn DC into radioactive wasteland for a decade. If I were Leonsis I don't think I could tolerate that level of risk.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think the opposite, it's less scary that he hasn't regressed physically. That's indicative that it's all in his head, and can be remedied.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Guys look at Kovalchuk.

I hoped Hunter would get Ovechkin to play like Kovalchuk, instead he hasn't gotten him or the whole team, instead its just give up and let them into our zone.

Hunter is Boudreau 2.0 if you ask me. There was maybe some back checking his first few games coaching, but its gone like he didn't want them back checking.

Hunter needs to sit Ovi do, tell him to watch Kovalchuks playing, and tell him start playing like that or you get less than 10 minutes a game.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
What you're calling hate regarding Semin is reality. I don't hate the guy. Hell if he stayed healthy and put in the 50g 90+ point season I know he's capable of and gave 100 percent for a year, he would earn respect from the fans who aren't so easily enamoured with his flashy 60% effort and 60+ games a year resume.

Ovy is absolutely stinking up the joint, but he's the franchise, Semin isn't.

Your energy would be well directed if it was at the architect of this team instead of trying to deflect from Semin.
Semin could very well be gone after this year, people are more concerned with him receiving another 1 year deal than a underachieving player on a decade long one.

The reality with OV is his stick handling has worsened, he struggles to get a shot on net, the effort level is down, and with more of an emphasis on defense, he hasn't shown the competence to play in such a system.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
The reality with OV is his stick handling has worsened, he struggles to get a shot on net, the effort level is down, and with more of an emphasis on defense, he hasn't shown the competence to play in such a system.
Right. I could deal with lower stats in a more defensive system if these internals weren't even worse. More than anything I'm just not sure he's a person you want to build around. His sloppiness or giving up on plays sets a terrible example.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Right, not a person you want to build around. FFS, the team built around him has won how many consecutive division titles? He's got one of the best playoff points/game in history.

You don't hear a peep of negative commentary about him from former teammates, despite all the negative stuff you hear about other players, coaches, etc. There's nothing but praise for his desire, leadership, etc.

That's just an absurd statement.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Right, not a person you want to build around. FFS, the team built around him has won how many consecutive division titles? He's got one of the best playoff points/game in history.

You don't hear a peep of negative commentary about him from former teammates, despite all the negative stuff you hear about other players, coaches, etc. There's nothing but praise for his desire, leadership, etc.

That's just an absurd statement.
While I do want to retain and build around him, I can't recall a player being ripped by coaches/GM in the media like Alex just was.

I think those comments from McPhee/Kolzig are far more damning than what Bradley/Steckel had to say about Semin and unnamed others.

Closed Thread