HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor-NJD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
  #51
thinkinfeller
Registered User
 
thinkinfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Lol at ppl saying schenn is overrated. He's 22 and is having a bad season OH NO! Lol

Idiots on here blow my mind. Especially when Schenn was the leafs best D last season playing 23+ minutes a night and looking like a franchise D

Not trading schenn for anything less than a number one centre even if we have to add
a Healthy Zajac is as close to a #1 centerman as Jeff Carter IMO, just a different type of player. Schenn is a good defenseman, but he's not great... not yet anyway.

You have to give to get, and it looks like we would be dealing from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness in this deal.... that's what you're supposed to do right?

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
  #52
thinkinfeller
Registered User
 
thinkinfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Burke would never do that so It doesn't matter???

Burke, like myself, has a memory that goes back more than this season and would not trade schenn for anything else than an elite talent
I'll tell you what Dad, why not take a seat in your easy chair and drop the pretense that you have any idea what Burke would or wouldn't do, that's not what we're discussing. We are talking about the value of a trade proposal and whether or not it would make sense for the teams involved.

My position is that the Leafs absolutely make this deal.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
  #53
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,442
vCash: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
You're keeping Schenn then. Because he's not worth a #1 center to any team in the league.
True, but he could be part of an attractive package.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
  #54
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,442
vCash: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
You're keeping Schenn then. Because he's not worth a #1 center to any team in the league.
True, but he could be part of an attractive package. He's not quite going to be an elite defenseman, but he brings a lot of assets to the table.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:54 AM
  #55
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
We need a puck-mover. We have our own Schenn in Volchenkov/Urbom etc.

Zajac is our number one center when healthy. He's not being traded unless a #1 PMD is coming back the other way. Schenn doesn't fit that bill.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:00 PM
  #56
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The only way Zajac is moving is for a bonafide top pairing defenseman who can put up points.

For Toronto that means Zajac+ for Phaneuf, which Toronto rightfully is not interested in. So there's nothing really to discuss.
What would the + be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
I get to watch a lot of Schenn and he is not worth Zajac. Zajac is one of those Centres, that wins you games in both ends.
Schenn is still a healthy scratch at times. If there was anyone we need it would be a PMD, and the only ones in Toronto I would want are Liles or Gardiner.
Schenn was a healthy scratch twice because Wilson felt like using the 4.5m cap hit sack of **** to play.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
  #57
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I'm always under the impression that Toronto and NJ never make good trading partners.
This is another important consideration. These teams might face off in the playoffs. I have no interest in seeing Zajac on the other team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
schenn? why? even Salavdor has been better then him this year, we need a pmd
Exactly. We have enough defensive defencemen, Schenn simply does not fit a need.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  #58
The Velvet Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: leafville
Country: Canada
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
yeah because toronto traded assets for connolly

must be the water in jersey eh.
somee of these posters from NJ....


The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
  #59
Bondys Champagne
Who dey
 
Bondys Champagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lower-Saxony
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian mailman View Post
lol yes we did have injurys but we have to be able to play threw it with depth the best teams can another reason this trade makes sense
What? 1GA is pretty decent for a ****ed up defense like this

Bondys Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:38 PM
  #60
IBLeaf*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,378
vCash: 500
Schenn would be moved in a package for a legit #1C. Not a good #2C like Zajac is.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
  #61
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr
 
MountainGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Velvet Hammer View Post
somee of these posters from NJ....

whats the problem exactly? no one is bashing Schenn, we have enough shutdown dmen, it wouldn't make sense to move our #1 center unless we're getting a top pairing offensive dman

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
  #62
Jerzey Devil
Registered User
 
Jerzey Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Velvet Hammer View Post
somee of these posters from NJ....

That dude already said he's from Ontario.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
  #63
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian mailman View Post
is that why they struggle in there own end and the forwards Don't help.
they have 180 goals against and its because of lack support from forwards.
Yeahno. We suck in goals against because we have craptastic defense and terrible goaltending. Travis Zajac is not going to fix that. Pass.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
  #64
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 500
Forget the player for a second ...no GM is going to do a deal for a number #1 center where the center piece coming back is a defensive defenseman. Defensive defenseman have little value in this league even the very best ones like Regehr was considered a couple of years ago are a commodity.

When that players salary gets around 4 million, they become of even less value...because the actual defense the 1 million dollar stay at home defenseman can provide is not that much of a fall off from the 4 million
dollardefensive defenseman.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
  #65
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Schenn would be moved in a package for a legit #1C. Not a good #2C like Zajac is.
To get a #1 center Schenn is a add-in not a centerpiece.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
  #66
Keystone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
So Schenn isn't a #1 D and Zajac isn't a #1 C. But both sides seem to think they should be packaged to get a top guy from some other team? Probably easier said then done. Ideally I agree that you move each to get a #1 center or defence, but if that isn't available or is too expensive, I think it's a good fair deal both ways.

Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
  #67
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
So Schenn isn't a #1 D and Zajac isn't a #1 C. But both sides seem to think they should be packaged to get a top guy from some other team? Probably easier said then done. Ideally I agree that you move each to get a #1 center or defence, but if that isn't available or is too expensive, I think it's a good fair deal both ways.
Even in bizarro world, Zajac's value far surpasses Schenn's.

Talking about one of the best defensive forwards in the league..

Schenn may have potential left to reach but Zajac's already there with a lot of value to the Devils.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
  #68
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
So Schenn isn't a #1 D and Zajac isn't a #1 C. But both sides seem to think they should be packaged to get a top guy from some other team? Probably easier said then done. Ideally I agree that you move each to get a #1 center or defence, but if that isn't available or is too expensive, I think it's a good fair deal both ways.
Zajac is a heluva lot closer to a #1 C than Schenn will ever be to a #1 D.

He is a defensive defenseman...what stay at home guy in the entire league would be of interest to a team at the cost of their top center?

None.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
  #69
Keystone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Hey if he is your #1 C then I wouldn't move him for a defensive D either. Some were considering him expendable though, which #1 centers generally are not. I'm not a leafs fan, but HNIC forces me to watch them a lot. I think Schenn is underated for what he brings to a team even with him having a so/so year.
I'll move over to the Enstrom/Zajac thread

Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
  #70
Briecheeze
Registered User
 
Briecheeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Even in bizarro world, Zajac's value far surpasses Schenn's.

Talking about one of the best defensive forwards in the league..

Schenn may have potential left to reach but Zajac's already there with a lot of value to the Devils.
Zajac has more value to the Devils than anyone else.

Considering his scoring struggles last year, and his injury woes this year, I wouldn't trade for Travis Zajac. He's certainly shown that he has chemistry with Parise (62 and 67 pts in 08-09, 09-10), but away from Parise, he's been rather ordinary (44 pts last year, 3 pts in 8 games this year). He's certainly strong defensively.

The other thing is that the Leafs have enough depth centreman - Grabovski fits the #2 C position, and Connolly, Lombardi, and Steckel easily slot in somewhere at the 3rd and 4th C positions. (Bozak is miscast as a #1 C, but he fits a #3 position more)

"Zajac could be the Leafs #1 C," you say. Certainly, but he would be miscast as such, like say, Derek Roy on the Sabres (and how's that working out this year?).

The point here is, this trade doesn't work for either side. Let's not get into debating values of players. NJ doesn't want Luke Schenn because they have enough defensive defensemen. Toronto doesn't need Travis Zajac because he isn't the high-end offensive forward they're looking for.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:00 PM
  #71
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briecheeze View Post
The point here is, this trade doesn't work for either side. Let's not get into debating values of players. NJ doesn't want Luke Schenn because defensive defensemen are not their problem. Toronto doesn't need Travis Zajac because he isn't the high-end offensive forward they're looking for.
Agreed, which is why I'm baffled that "Zajac to Toronto" threads keep popping up.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:13 PM
  #72
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,709
vCash: 500
Toronto passes on that deal as Zajac is a UFA after next season meanwhile Schenn is locked up for 4 more years.

There is a very good chance Zajac isn't quite the same player he was pre-injury next season either. It normally takes players at least half a season but alot of the time a full season to get back to where they were pre-injury. Just ask Roy, M. Michalek and to a lesser extent Parise.

Zajac is also over-rated. He is a very good player but he is truly is a 2nd liner who had his numbers inflated playing with Parise.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.