HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill & conditional 5th (2013) to Nashville for Geoffrion, Slaney & 2nd (2012)

Old
02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
What is a reasonable alternative explanation. He told him he was traded but not to which team?

Agreed 100 percent. Gainey was above board and transparent in his dealings. His problems began and ended with his assessment of pro players, which he relied heavily on the egomaniac for. Ironic.

I half agree with you.

Telling Gill he was traded - good
Not initially telling Gill his destination - bad.

Keep in mind also that in that hour of darkness someone could have easily informed Gill of his new destination, and that's even worse.
Well what if the Spacek trade for example fell thru, and say Spacek told a few of the media guys and they ran with the story and start throwing out possible names, word gets around and Kaberle finds out thru the media instead of his GM, who doesn't have to give Kaberle a heads up because the deal isn't official done. Looks bad on PG part towards other GM, and by giving Spacek and Gill the heads up, PG protects himself I case information is leaked by the other team.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Well what if the Spacek trade for example fell thru, and say Spacek told a few of the media guys and they ran with the story and start throwing out possible names, word gets around and Kaberle finds out thru the media instead of his GM, who doesn't have to give Kaberle a heads up because the deal isn't official done. Looks bad on PG part towards other GM, and by giving Spacek and Gill the heads up, PG protects himself I case information is leaked by the other team.
"Jaro, this is Pierre. I just wanted to let you know that we have a trade pendiing with the league that once approved will involve your moving to the Carolina Hurricane. The deal is awaiting league approval and involves other players. I will advise you of the final details at the earliest possible time once all affected players in Carolina have been notified. I kindly ask you to treat this information as confidential and not discuss this trade with anyone until all parties have been notified. Once the trade has been completed further information , including travel details, will be provided to you. On behalf of the Montreal Canadiens I would like to thank you for blah blah blah and wish you the best of luck in the future . If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time".

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
"Jaro, this is Pierre. I just wanted to let you know that we have a trade pendiing with the league that once approved will involve your moving to the Carolina Hurricane. The deal is awaiting league approval and involves other players. I will advise you of the final details at the earliest possible time once all affected players in Carolina have been notified. I kindly ask you to treat this information as confidential and not discuss this trade with anyone until all parties have been notified. Once the trade has been completed further information , including travel details, will be provided to you. On behalf of the Montreal Canadiens I would like to thank you for blah blah blah and wish you the best of luck in the future . If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time".
Ideal this would be the best way to go about it, but my guess would be that PG doesn't want the risk of him speaking with his agent or saying something like that because that is where most of the media insiders get their information just like that.

But overall, I think it would be best to only tell the player after the deal is official, but with today's media etc, wouldn't you say that telling a player he is traded but you can't tell you where too until it's official is better than having the player find out thru the media, agent?

Like I said, its not the perfect way to go about, but the media makes it sound like he basically tells them "ur trade, the other GM will call you, see ya". When Spacek said that PG told him that it was out of respect to the other GM, and Cammy even said that PG even told him that this wasn't something out of the blue, and that he had be working on the trade for a while, and explained to him what he made the move. Now what he told Cammy might not be true, and most likely is BS. But the media portrayed the story of PG taking Cammy out of the game, sending him to the Hotel in cab, and said "I trade you, find your our way to where you were traded (didn't tell him where)".

Last edited by habs03: 02-20-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old
02-20-2012, 05:48 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

"Hey Jaro, you've been traded, tough i will tell you where in 1 hour or so once league approved"

"Nah brah, need to plan everything in next 15 min, gotta tell me now, or else, i tell earl you don't trust me, and will be all over HF boards!"

Point being, who gives a hoot, i doubt any players actually care about being in the "dark" for a couple hours.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
"Hey Jaro, you've been traded, tough i will tell you where in 1 hour or so once league approved"

"Nah brah, need to plan everything in next 15 min, gotta tell me now, or else, i tell earl you don't trust me, and will be all over HF boards!"

Point being, who gives a hoot, i doubt any players actually care about being in the "dark" for a couple hours.
I am sorry you do not understand the issue and have not been exposed to strong leaders in your life.

Fostering trust is fundamental to leadership. If I can't trust someone to keep something confidential for 45 minutes I cannot ask others to trust me.

This is the case with Gauthier, he is not an effective leader. The team needs this.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:26 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
I am sorry you do not understand the issue and have not been exposed to strong leaders in your life.

Fostering trust is fundamental to leadership. If I can't trust someone to keep something confidential for 45 minutes I cannot ask others to trust me.

This is the case with Gauthier, he is not an effective leader. The team needs this.
I do t think trust between the GM and the player is important, unless in rare cases like ex. Carter and Richards and Holmgerm, and now with Nash and Howsen, PG is so tight lipped that stuff like this would never get to the media in MTL, so PG not trust a player is not an issue, specially when it's a player he just traded. IMO GM trust is important to his head coach and president/owner, and players trust is with there head coach. That is just my 2 cents on the trust issue.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

i don't understand what my exposure to "strong leaders" have to do with my basic understanding of evolution of media and business decisions that can affect more then the one player in question, more like organizations, and might affect the image of the Canadiens as a whole. What will you say when this situation will become common practice in the sport? (which is pretty much the case) will you keep supporting your stance that all GM's are not leaders?
Keep the microscope close to you, you might find new leads to back up your long established and per-determined views of certain people/situations.
i'm sure Gill is more pissed about being traded, and away from his family, then being stressed out for and hour, which in retrospect, if anyone is in his shoes, what does in reality 1 hour change? These are non issues and overblown sensationalism both by Gill and PG doubters all together. "Loyalty and Leadership" is already blown away when trades happen, especially to loyal and leaders like Gill, which is main reason Gill might be stressing about.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I do t think trust between the GM and the player is important, unless in rare cases like ex. Carter and Richards and Holmgerm, and now with Nash and Howsen, PG is so tight lipped that stuff like this would never get to the media in MTL, so PG not trust a player is not an issue, specially when it's a player he just traded. IMO GM trust is important to his head coach and president/owner, and players trust is with there head coach. That is just my 2 cents on the trust issue.
I know what you're saying, but you hear all the time about players who may or may not leave town, and conversations revolving around whether or not they'll stay, based on whether they think the GM is building a winner, or rebuilding to form a winner, or not. The direction and composition of a team certainly impacts where each player on the team feels like they either fit in, or should fit in, and players often think about their role in the organization moving forward as changes are made by the GM. I suspect that more often than not, GMs (and the relationship/trust they have with a player) are the heaviest influence whether or not players are willing/agree to stay for "hometown discounts".

I believe that GM-player connection is stronger and more important than you think, and the "trust factor" has huge potential to affect a player's decisions about their future.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I know what you're saying, but you hear all the time about players who may or may not leave town, and conversations revolving around whether or not they'll stay, based on whether they think the GM is building a winner, or rebuilding to form a winner, or not. The direction and composition of a team certainly impacts where each player on the team feels like they either fit in, or should fit in, and players often think about their role in the organization moving forward as changes are made by the GM. I suspect that more often than not, GMs (and the relationship/trust they have with a player) are the heaviest influence whether or not players are willing/agree to stay for "hometown discounts".

I believe that GM-player connection is stronger and more important than you think, and the "trust factor" has huge potential to affect a player's decisions about their future.
Very good point, but we haven't lost any of our key guys because of this, I know it's early but the first test was Gorges and many said he wouldn't re-sign because PG only offered him a 1 year deal and disrespected him, but he just re-signed for 6 more years. I know he could have signed cheaper last year compared to this contract but that was due to the uncertainty of his knee overall. Also when Cammy was asked if he thought PG traded him because of his comment, he said PG told him it was a deal he was looking to make for a while and that he trusted PG and this was right after he traded him.

Old
02-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm going to start calling him "The Better Boom Boom" just to piss you off.
And I'll call him Bam-Bam.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post

?

didn't Spacek specifically comment on the fact that he did not appreciate being left in limbo?

personally i don't think it's a huge deal, aside from the fact that it seems like a petty thing to do, and shows a lack of trust/respect for the player ("can't tell you b/c i don't trust you'll keep your mouth shut" ... especially with a 30year old+ veteran...)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Jaro 2 minutes later via Twitter: "Traded to Carolina. Thank u 2 all my fans in Montreal."

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
?

didn't Spacek specifically comment on the fact that he did not appreciate being left in limbo?

personally i don't think it's a huge deal, aside from the fact that it seems like a petty thing to do, and shows a lack of trust/respect for the player ("can't tell you b/c i don't trust you'll keep your mouth shut" ... especially with a 30year old+ veteran...)
Jaro's exact comment was that he didn't like it because he couldnt go back in the dressing room and play one more prank on his teammates.

I think he was speaking tongue in cheek and its been blown out of proportion.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:44 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
The traded player must be locked naked in a isolated room so he cant speak to anyone.

Dont you think that he'll tell it to his wife?.
His wife will tell to her parents (or her phone line is watched by Eklund).
Her parent will tell it to friends.
boom, friends tells it to twitter.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Peter Puck

I think you guys are missing a point. If the league doesn't approve the trade (unlikely but possible for many reasons) then PG doesn't want word to leak out that he was dealing with Nashville. Once he tells Gill this is his destination it is very hard to keep that info secret.

Peter Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puck View Post
I think you guys are missing a point. If the league doesn't approve the trade (unlikely but possible for many reasons) then PG doesn't want word to leak out that he was dealing with Nashville. Once he tells Gill this is his destination it is very hard to keep that info secret.
In the old days it was a non issue...but these days everybody has twitter and text messages. News travels lightning fast.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
The traded player must be locked naked in a isolated room so he cant speak to anyone.

Dont you think that he'll tell it to his wife?.
His wife will tell to her parents (or her phone line is watched by Eklund).
Her parent will tell it to friends.
boom, friends tells it to twitter.
Must be Twitterverse mentality. I know that if I gave my wife a piece of confidential information she'd have the sense to keep it between us for as long as I asked her to.

It was a d-bag move by a d-bag GM.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Must be Twitterverse mentality. I know that if I gave my wife a piece of confidential information she'd have the sense to keep it between us for as long as I asked her to.

It was a d-bag move by a d-bag GM.
By telling to your wife, you are not respecting the confidentiality

Old
02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Please. Don't use that nickname.

First: it's disrespectful for Bernard Geoffrion, an HoF...

Second: you're already putting pressure on the kid's shoulders.
Is Bummer OK? Hee Hee.

That was really dumb, but I'm gonna hit submit anyway.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
By telling to your wife, you are not respecting the confidentiality
Almost everyone tells their wife. Though I'm getting much better at not telling my wife about work matters good or bad. She seems to prefer it.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Almost everyone tells their wife. Though I'm getting much better at not telling my wife about work matters good or bad. She seems to prefer it.
I know,
so PG is right by not telling a player to which team he's been traded before everything is completed.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Its not like we are calling him Boom Boom.
From what I remember of him, Geoffrion would have had a good laugh and a Gros Mol if his grandson was called Boomer. No biggie.

But Boom Boom is off limits.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

How in bloody hell do you know anything about this? You're projecting your own feelings.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:38 AM
bsl

Quote:
Transparency is being truthful and sharing vital information with the people who need to know.

“Pierre told me to be ready for it, and it wasn’t for 45 minutes or so that I knew it was Nashville,” Gill said. “I said: ‘Why don’t you just wait and tell me all at once instead of keeping me on pins and needles?’ ”

Approved or not, after this conversation Gauthier had to reveal the team he was dealing with, lest be shown to be a larger a-hole than he already proven to be. You can't pretend the conversation didn't occur once it has.

A simple conversation about maintaining confidentiaity should have occurred and Gill apprised of his destination. He didn't need to know the identities of the Nashville players involved, he did deserve to know he was going to Nashville.

But these are management basics, something knucklehead hasn't yet mastered. He doesn't trust Gill to keep his mouth shut for 45 minutes. That's deplorable.
I agree completely. I don't treat even my most junior staff like children. PG is a ****** as we say here. Gill is a big boy, tell him where he's going, and remind him not to text or call anyone for an hour. Big bloody deal.

If PG really did this, he's a complete tosser.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
UH. No.

You tell spaceman where he's going, and you ask him to be quiet about it until the deal is finalized. That's called respecting your senior staff, and trusting them.

You have not managed people much yet I gather?