HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Calgary

Old
02-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
I think Calgary fans missed the point of my proposal. Adding a player like Kostitsyn is to give you depth. He can play on the second line, third line or if theres an injury, he can play on the top line. Depth is very important for a playoff run, and the way Kipper has been playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary go far in the playoffs.
and I think you missed our point. depth wingers is not what we really need. we already have Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross (back in early March), Stempniak (back in early March), Moss (back in early March) and Comeau to play the wings in our top 9 and that if with leaving out our rookies in Horak, Byron and Bouma that have played very well on our 3rd line this season. Adding another top 9 winger isn't going to be much of an improvement unless its a clear cut top 6 winger (I think we all can agree AK is a solid middle 6 winger).

As for the posts about AK having or not having an attitude problem, from an outsider point of view it does look like he does have a bit of an attitude problem (I'm not saying it is a fact, it is very likely mostly media driven as it is with most players). His recent comments about playing time and the reports during the summer of him not getting along with the coach are what we see in regards to attitude and to be completely blunt I do not think that will help his value at all. Frankly those 2 instances are enough for me to not want to take a chance on him at the cost it will take to acquire him.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
I think Calgary fans missed the point of my proposal. Adding a player like Kostitsyn is to give you depth. He can play on the second line, third line or if theres an injury, he can play on the top line. Depth is very important for a playoff run, and the way Kipper has been playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary go far in the playoffs.
And for the most part I think most Flame fans are pretty okay with their winger depth when healthy, it may be asking for to much to see everything get in the lineup healthy but if they do the Flames have Iginla, Cammalleri, Tanguay, Glencross, Stempniak, Moss and even Comeau who have had 20 goal seasons. As a Flame fan I'd be more than happy to add someone like Kostitsyn to that list but when there's uncertainty in whether they will make the playoffs at all, so giving up any future asset is a gamble, and the Flames have bigger depth issues at center, defense and even goaltending.

The Flames could give up the farm and still not be able to get anyone to replace Kipper but looking at moving some assets for a veteran backup may not be the worst thing in the world if they do plan on becoming buyers especially if it would allow Kipper some rest heading into, hopefully, the playoffs.

Brodie's been great for a rookie and Babchuk isn't the worst 7th defenseman in the world, even Sarich and Butler are playing better (or Kiprusoff is making them look like they are) but outside of Bouwmeester (Giordano's been struggling) the Flames don't got a defenseman who I would "feel comfortable" having out protecting a lead with 2 minutes to go in the playoffs, which is especially troublesome considering Bouwmeester doesn't know what playoffs are. Not that they could really get that type of defenseman for the assets you think they should trade for Kostitsyn with but they could add depth to their dcore as well.

And the Flames centers are the Flames centers, thank God for Jokinen.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
What does that mean? Kinda sounds like you're implying he would get a choice in what he plays. If he's going to sulk if he gets "unreasonable" time he's going to last about 15 minutes in Calgary under Sutter. Once, or more accurately if, the Flames get healthy he's going to find himself outside of scoring roles and quite possibly on the 4th line more than a couple times when the line juggling starts, as that happens to pretty much everyone not wearing #12 at some point or another. So why would the Flames give up a 2nd, that they already don't have this year, for a player who doesn't fit a need (when healthy) when chances are he'll end up complaining about ice time to the media in a month anyways.

The good news is with Kostopolous on the second line right now you could probably convince him that's actually our fourth and he's on the second regardless of who he's with.
You're trying to hard to throw the guy under the bus. He played 4 minutes and it was for no reason. When I said he'd 'take' 3rd line minutes I meant I cannot see a reason why he wouldn't be happy with any role in top 9 where he can help the team. He's not an energy guy or a 4th line player, so if you put him there, he'll play but if media asks him after the game "why aren't you scoring like a top 6 forward?" it's pretty obvious he'll say "I play on the 4th line..."

I think any player who is top 9 material wouldn't want to be on 4th line. Do you think Glencross would be smiling after 4 minutes a game for no reason? Tanguay? Jokinen? Cammalleri?

As a matter of fact, Cammalleri complained this very year about getting 15 minutes in a game. So yah, Kostitsyn should be happy with 4 minutes.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM
gillyguzzler

You gotta love it when all these experts know so much about players from other teams and what they are worth... "Kostistyn is lazy and has attitude problems (or so I've heard) and he's only got 12 goals this year! You guys will never get more than a 3rd round pick for him." These were the same experts who expertly said Hal Gill wasn't worth anything, certainly not a 2nd round pick and 2 prospects.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
You gotta love it when all these experts know so much about players from other teams and what they are worth... "Kostistyn is lazy and has attitude problems (or so I've heard) and he's only got 12 goals this year! You guys will never get more than a 3rd round pick for him." These were the same experts who expertly said Hal Gill wasn't worth anything, certainly not a 2nd round pick and 2 prospects.
I never said that but the echl is not a "prospect" he is a contract dump.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
NYR1967

I'd like the Rangers to take a chance on AK, quite frankly. Tortorella is an intense guy and could potentially spur AK to be the goal scoring LW the Rangers desparately need. It's a crapshoot, but what trade isn't? That said, do Montreal fans feel the Rangers 2012 2nd rounder would be enough to do the deal? It's a low 2nd, so I could understand you guys wanting more - thoughts?

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Habiton

Kostitsyn will go for no less then Penner last year. If you dont like it fine we will resign him.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
I'd like the Rangers to take a chance on AK, quite frankly. Tortorella is an intense guy and could potentially spur AK to be the goal scoring LW the Rangers desparately need. It's a crapshoot, but what trade isn't? That said, do Montreal fans feel the Rangers 2012 2nd rounder would be enough to do the deal? It's a low 2nd, so I could understand you guys wanting more - thoughts?
2nd and a prospect would be fine, depending on the prospect. a 2nd alone isn't worth it. At Kostitsyn's age a 2nd may never come close to being the player he is and we might as well keep him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:26 PM
ginovegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
It would probably take Rangers 1st which would be similar to a High 2nd on a cellar dwelling team like the Habs LOL

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote