HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

W. Peters of Minnesota suspended 1 game

Old
02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Spektre

vCash: 500
W. Peters of Minnesota suspended 1 game

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...220453684.html

****ing joke.

Just like Clutterdumbass not even getting looked at from Panzi Shanny.

Had this been any team going after someone on precious Detroit like Datsyuk or insert any named player, shanny would have been handing out suspensions like candy.

Get rid of Shanny for crying out loud. Try getting some refs that don't take over the game. Have the NHL come up with finite rules that don't change from shift to shift to shift to shift to shift to game to game to game.

Get the refs off the ice. Put a couple linesmen on the ice for breaking up fights. Put the refs in high chairs on a couple of the lines then they can actually watch what happens. Not that they'd call it unless they feel like it even if it is a penalty.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
The fact that it was after the play is the most upsetting thing. In any other league, it would have been much more of a significant suspension.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The fact that it was after the play is the most upsetting thing. In any other league, it would have been much more of a significant suspension.
I'd have given Peters a three-gamer, and Clutterbuck one game.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
BadgersandBlues

I am saddened by this suspension. For all the talk of player safety, and getting rid of "Head Shots," this was a great time to send a clear message before the playoffs that this is unacceptable.

A fringe NHL player blind-side cross checks the other team's All-Star and Captain in the head after the whistle with three and a half minutes to go in a 4-0 game, and you get suspended one game. Seriously?

This ruling just adds more ambiguity to how the league deals with this type of issue. If I'm a player in the NHL right now, this is one of two HUGE issues for me going into the new CBA talks.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:27 PM
GOBLUES4257

but if Backes did to Datsyuk........

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
SteenMachine

Yeah but Backes isn't out of the rest of the season... so clearly it wasn't just as stupid of a decision on Peters part to risk it. So stupid, the guy can play it off as an accidentally hitting someone in the head but Stewart gets 3 games because we all know he can predict exactly how Kronwall will go down into the boards right? The league is suffering concussions left and right but deliberate headshots are the lesser offense compared to putting guys off balance as the go into the boards? I just don't get it.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Colin Campbell > Brendan Shannahan

No, I'm not kidding.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Rizzo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I called this before the ruling, I wanted to be wrong.....but told ya, young one

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Yeah, I have to admit I don't really understand why injuries are such a big part of the decision-making in league discipline. Its behavior and on-ice decisions that they're trying to regulate/change.

I think injuries might call attention to some borderline situations...but what if Backes starts getting headaches this week? Do you go back and tack games onto the suspension? Its just a dumb thing to even comment on it, except perhaps when being heavy-handed with repeat offenders.

The one-game was too little for a violent play like that. I also thought the Clutterbuck hit deserved to be reviewed.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Gullibull

Pretty pathetic punishment, but thankfully Backes is okay and the offender is just some career-AHLer who will probably amount to nothing. Although, MN fans say that was uncharacteristic of Peters. After Reaves' little cheap-shot yesterday, I can understand how players can get caught up in the moment and do something entirely uncharacteristic.

Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo90 View Post
I called this before the ruling, I wanted to be wrong.....but told ya, young one
i think we all knew deep down this was going to happen, which is why i'm not really upset about it. i've already lost my respect for shanahan, but i'm not gonna go all middle school on him

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I'm not as upset by it as all of you seem to be.

Ryan Reaves did something something similar yesterday and I wouldn't call him a cheap shot artist so I'll take the Wild fans word that it was out of character for Peters.

And the punishment for hitting Backes in the head should be the same as if it were Crombeen or Nichol. The guy getting hit shouldn't make a difference in terms of punishment from the league.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
The Note
Bullies

He may not be a cheap shot artist which I don't believe he is. However when Cole was suspended it was because the head was the principle point of contact. Backes was crosschecked in the head, I fail to see the disconnect here.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
GOBLUES4257

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
He may not be a cheap shot artist which I don't believe he is. However when Cole was suspended it was because the head was the principle point of contact. Backes was crosschecked in the head, I fail to see the disconnect here.
Ian Cole plays for the Blues. Thats why

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Chicago Blues

When the Wild gave up, decided they couldn't win and just started cheap-shotting people - that was bush league. I've seen the Blues do that in the past (often under D. Payne) and honestly, I was disgusted by it. I love physical play, I love big hits, but I hate when players stop playing the game and just try to hurt each other.

I know a lot of people on HF disagree with me on this, but it bothers me. It's classless and tarnishes the sport. There, I said it.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:15 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Blues View Post
When the Wild gave up, decided they couldn't win and just started cheap-shotting people - that was bush league. I've seen the Blues do that in the past (often under D. Payne) and honestly, I was disgusted by it. I love physical play, I love big hits, but I hate when players stop playing the game and just try to hurt each other.

I know a lot of people on HF disagree with me on this, but it bothers me. It's classless and tarnishes the sport. There, I said it.
I think most people here will agree with you mate. Lose with dignity. Win with class. Fin.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
inglouriousbackes

dude...shanahan needs wake the **** up and stop making blatant attempts to ruin the blues. Cal clutter**** should've been banned at least three games and peters shouldve gotten at least the same sentence if not more for his stunt.

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:47 PM
diehardbluesfan

The NHL is still not serious about head hits. It doesn't matter if he got injured, it's the action that matters.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by inglouriousbackes View Post
dude...shanahan needs wake the **** up and stop making blatant attempts to ruin the blues. Cal clutter**** should've been banned at least three games and peters shouldve gotten at least the same sentence if not more for his stunt.
I'm sorry there is no way Clutterbuck deserved 3 games

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Alklha

If the NHL was really trying to eliminate concussions then this should have been a clear message on what happens when you crosscheck a player to the head after the play. The result is pathetic, as others have said, the fact there was no injury shouldn't come into it, it is the fact it is dangerous.

It should have been 5 games, and the only reason it should have been so few is that the stick appeared to ride up Backes jersey. Had it been a straight crosscheck to the head, I'd have wanted at least 15.

The force of the action should obviously play a part in how long any suspension is, but just the action should be enough for the League to hand down a significant suspension.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
ToePicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
This. Comparing the Shanahan videos about the suspensions the only difference he gives is by classifying the Cole hit as "an illegal hit to the head" and Peters as "cross-checking". No history for either, no injury, apparently no intent, both target the head. So, what? Perceived riskiness?

ToePicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Chicago Blues

Almost positive I've heard Shanahan say "if you leave your feet, you will get suspended." I guess I didn't hear him mumble "unless you hit someone on the team that traded me to the hockey purgatory known as Hartford because I had sex with a teammate's wife."

Bazinga.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
"While we accept Peters explanation that he was trying to crosscheck Backes in the shoulder..."
Total BS. I don't buy for a second that it wasn't deliberate. Watch the way he follows through...he meant to hit Backes in the side of the head, and despite "no apparent injury" he should have received a minimum of 3 games. And Clutterbuck should have received at least a fine and game suspension for his high hit on Pietro. Meanwhile they are both back on the ice like nothing ever happened. Shanabans and the NHFAIL strikes again!!!

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:49 PM
SteenMachine

Maybe we should just extend this ideology to the rest of the game, sorry Ref that wasn't an intentional trip can I just have a bench minor. I was trying to clear the puck up the glass can we just have an icing call.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:39 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Maybe we should just extend this ideology to the rest of the game, sorry Ref that wasn't an intentional trip can I just have a bench minor. I was trying to clear the puck up the glass can we just have an icing call.
I know you had intent to blow the whistle, but I meant to shoot that puck in the net before the goalie moved back into position.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote