HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes original logo/jersey making return?

Old
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
JetsIce*

vCash: 500
Phoenix Coyotes original logo/jersey making return?

Interesting piece of Coyote information listening to Phoenix Sports radio

I had heard a while back and now just hearing it again on phoenix sports radio about the possible ownership change,etc and talking about some of the recent changes like the new arena, logo,etc.... and that Wayne Gretzky was the one wanted to change the logo and jersey cause it wasn't to his liking......

So whoever the other owner at the time (gretkzy partner) was speaking with Gluckstern (original owner) and Coyote administration (Mike O'Hearn was mentioned and Bailey-last name was the other) mentioned that when the Coyotes were brought from Winnipeg they were going to use the Jets colors but new logo and name -- Before the Jets 2nd last season Winnipeg was going to change their away jerseys from Blue to Red (which apparently the guest on the radio said they did about 5 or 6 times in the Jets last 2 seasons with red helmuts) but it got scrapped cause of the uncertainty of the Jets staying in Winnipeg.

The Coyotes staff really liked the half moon logo but also came across the cartoon Coyote logo with the brick layered desert dust scripture which was the one actually chosen in 1996.

So in a way to honor the Jets they decided to have the Coyote logo wear the Jets Red jersey which was actually used for the better part of the early Coyote years at America West Arena (pre Glendale) I've never noticed it so take a look at the original Coyotes logo.

When Gretzky wanted to change the uniforms the Coyote staff gave that option and he liked it. They decided to use the Coyote front as the permanent logo that was being used a few times as the Coyotes 3rd jersey - secondary logo.

So in discussion that the guest on the radio is that the Coyotes had been rumored to be wanting to have a 3rd jersey similar to the original logo. The hosts which I agree said that jersey and logo (which was at the time ridiculed for looking goofy) by far was the best Coyotes jersey/logo combination and in other words which I agree was a hockey identity for the people in the Valley which was lost since moving to Glendale.

The response is that he can almost guarentee if Jeremy Roenick is apart of the ownership he will do the opposite of Gretzky and make those unis the permanent ones.

And I agree. I think the Coyotes have lost a bit of the connection of when they were in downtown Phoenix since moving to Glendale. I know its only 30 minutes but the Coyotes were a hot ticket, had tons of excitement downtown, and was very much part of the Arizona sports scene.

Now it seems the Coyotes are just a blimp of the sports fixture. They play in Glendale(still in Arizona and kinda Phoenix I know) but it seems they are playing in a completely different state.

The Coyotes had some memorabale times from 1996-2002..... somehow we have to reconnect the past to the present to help our future......

JetsIce* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
SweYote

I would love it if that happened. I have nothing against the current logo but the original one was the very reason I started to like the Coyotes as a kid collecting hockey cards in the 90's.

SweYote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:09 PM
MP

A second re-branding--or rather, an un-re-branding--in ten years? Why not? Count me in.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
I want our old unis back, so bad.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
hbk

Honestly I think we're better off trying something different. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm. I've been tempted to buy the current home (red) one but for the most part I have shied away from purchasing a Coyote jersey because I thought for the most part they have looked god awful. I went with the classic Jets jersey instead the last go around...

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I'd be ecstatic to have the old unis back! While I liked the psycho Coyote logo, even those who didn't would be hard pressed to deny it's distinct AZ feel and yes, it actually represent a time when AZ hockey was flourishing and seemingly on the up and up.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I don't mind either looks, I kinda just want a change to wash our hands of the past 15 years. I think our current white jerseys are some of the best in the NHL today though.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Wile E Coyotes

That would be sweet! I know its impossible but they should go back to the downtown arena as well.

Wile E Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I have no problem with the team going back to the old uniforms but I don't want to get caught up in this "things were better in the past and we need to go back to it" stuff either.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyotes View Post
That would be sweet! I know its impossible but they should go back to the downtown arena as well.
only if they take jobing.com with them.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
I liked the Yote on acid. Better.

That said, switching the sweaters will not make a difference. Ownership certainty will.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'd be ecstatic to have the old unis back! While I liked the psycho Coyote logo, even those who didn't would be hard pressed to deny it's distinct AZ feel and yes, it actually represent a time when AZ hockey was flourishing and seemingly on the up and up.

Agreed..... "distinct AZ feel"

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

If we are going to change AGAIN, go with the current logo in the old pattern. Or perhaps the Paw circle logo in the old pattern. It's not the old logo I liked so much as the trim and color scheme.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

I once asked a Coyotes COO and he told me that the original jerseys were too regional and weren't selling well outside of phoenix.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Interesting. At one point, they were the top selling jersey in the NHL....even outside of PHX.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:09 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Use the old road jersey as the 3rd jersey. Kind of like the NFL's "throwback" uniforms. We won't be throwing too far, though.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
Interesting. At one point, they were the top selling jersey in the NHL....even outside of PHX.
That's what I was told "Too regional" from Doug Moss.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
That's what I was told "Too regional" from Doug Moss.
Doug Moss was too regional.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Use the old road jersey as the 3rd jersey. Kind of like the NFL's "throwback" uniforms. We won't be throwing too far, though.
"pitchback"?

DirtyOldMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:51 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
"pitchback"?
Maybe more like a drop pass.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:26 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Well there's one thing I'd be pretty comfortable guaranteeing: If we go back to the old jerseys, they'll be changed enough to force most of us to shell out cash on new ones. They won't be exact and I'd be happy if they ditched the Suns colors out of the mix.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
huhwhtfkr

i love our old school kachina logo, still wear mine on thursdays , i really liked the the green 3rds we had w the santa fe accents on the sleeve and hem with the floating kachina head. but i like the paw in the circle logo as well as the moon logo. as long as everyone else has abandoned "sedona red" as a unifing theme for az sports teams i would love to see a new scheme based on the old colors. and can we develop a sand storm version for the post season

huhwhtfkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

I would absolutely love for the original jerseys, logos, colors, etc to make a permanent comeback. I ****ing hate the new ones. I always have. I think people would respond positively to the original scheme.

Just a heads up, a buddy of mine took a tripto Europe after college about 10 years ago, and said that he saw a few locals in multiple countries wearing the original Yotes jerseys. They weren't regional at all.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I really don't care what they wear as long as they stay here.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I once asked a Coyotes COO and he told me that the original jerseys were too regional and weren't selling well outside of phoenix.
When I went to the Czech Republic and watched the boys open the season last year there were some locals in silly (cheap) cowboy hats carrying goofy (cheap) saguaros People like the unusual and our region has its own flavor, that folks from all points seem to like.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote