HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs interested in JVR

Old
02-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Forgot how enjoyable playoff hockey is.

Forgot how unreal Tim Thomas was in that series, especially that game.

For someone who's touted as "playoff clutch", no one seems to remember Briere's wiff with about 3 seconds left in the 3rd.

I really really hope that JvR comes back at least for the playoffs, but permanently would be okay too.
None of us will forget that whiff. We win game 2 and it could have been a whole new series. But tim thomas stole that game, he was unreal. He had so many great saves that game.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Yeah siemens was going to go ahead of Hamilton if couturier wasn't their. But ill be honest I don't know how it's going to play out. Giroux schenn and Couturier. Read can play center as well. I think one of them is going to be sent for a defenseman unless they think someone can convert to wing which in that case i think Giroux would be a prime candidate for that.
Giroux is not going back to wing. He plays too well with the puck on his stick to move back to the wing. Schenn has shown that he can play wing if he needs to. I also think sooner or later they have to move Briere to the wing because of how poor defensively he has performed and also he isn't performing up to expectations so far this season. Read plays better at wing and probably is more suitable there because of the type of player he is. I believe they want to keep Couts Giroux and Schenn to have that depth down the middle. I wouldn't want to trade anyone of them, especially with a key free agent that might hit the market this summer.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:47 AM
SolidSnakeUS

JVR, Carle and Bourdon for EJ and Siemens?

Just a thought.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
JVR, Carle and Bourdon for EJ and Siemens?

Just a thought.
Avs wouldn't do JvR for EJ straight up. And Siemens is worth more than an upcoming UFA and a OK prospect.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Avs wouldn't do JvR for EJ straight up. And Siemens is worth more than an upcoming UFA and a OK prospect.
I know it's two big pieces coming this way, but you also have to think that only one of them has actually played in the NHL. Just throwing out ideas. I think the only way it would ever be done is if both Bourdon and Carle were re-signed, so they know they would have a future with them.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
also if they trade ej they are going to keep siemens.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:55 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I would probably like Siemens over EJ, but one hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:01 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
I just wasted about an hour and half watching highlights of that series. I must say Richards was all over the freakin ice in that series. I didn't remember it at the time but after watching highlights he was doing everything for us. The bruins were so physical that series we did not have the personnel to match. Mcquaid and boychuk were killing us all series.
Aye.

As much as I like Simmonds and Schenn, I'd kill to see a healthy Richards and Versteeg on this team.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Aye.

As much as I like Simmonds and Schenn, I'd kill to see a healthy Richards and Versteeg on this team.
I was just thinking about it. If i had the chance to trade simmonds and schenn for richards would i do it. I don't think i would. I love richards as much as the next flyers fan but Homer made an excellent trade. Those two pieces are a big part of our future. Richards he is a great leader and a winner but I can't make that trade.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
I was just thinking about it. If i had the chance to trade simmonds and schenn for richards would i do it. I don't think i would. I love richards as much as the next flyers fan but Homer made an excellent trade. Those two pieces are a big part of our future. Richards he is a great leader and a winner but I can't make that trade.
I'm fine with the trade too.

I just find myself pondering how the complexion of the team would have changed this year.

What kind of numbers would, say, a Voracek/Richards/Versteeg line put up, and how much more, if at all, defensive minded the team would be. Also, if Simmonds would put up half the numbers he has here in LA's system.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:15 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Aye.

Agreed, I still find the Richards trade tough to swallow, and I love Simmonds and Schenn, they have played great for us.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:34 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

no way the avs trade EJ. we'd have to massively overpay. he was brought in to be their franchise defenseman and has been playing very well there, plus management loves him. they have no reason to trade him.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:37 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Agreed, I still find the Richards trade tough to swallow, and I love Simmonds and Schenn, they have played great for us.
the richards trade was tough for me to accept at first, but i'm beginning to like it more and more, especially with schenn finally showing what he can be.

if schenn turns into what i think he can be, he will be a faster, more offensively talented mike richards.

younger, faster, more offensive richards + simmonds > richards.

that is if schenn reaches his potential.

the carter trade on the other hand was a fleecing.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Hextall4GM

Can we have Patty Roy?

Hextall4GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:58 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
He is not that good. If he wasn't the number 1 overall pick I don't think he would have this much hype around him.

I want this Guy back. I 've never seen a forward take over a game the way JVR did. He was on par with what ovechkin was doing a couple of years ago.
I had forgotten how close that game was. Thomas was the only thing defensively that kept them in it. The number of breakaways and odd-man rushes for us is just ridiculous.

Funny to think that this was the series that made the goalie lightbulb go off in Snider's head.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
no thanks. keep JVR please. I'm confident he will be a consistent 35 goal scorer. Future of JVR, G, Coots, Schenn, Jake, Simmonds, Read and good depth guys like Akeson is an awesome forward core and incredibly young.
That may be true, but this team is seriously lacking depth. While EJ may or may not be a #1, he would be a good d-man for this team for the foreseeable future (assuming he can be signed). I don't necessarily WANT to trade JVR, but if the Flyers can upgrade their defense with a young defender, they should probably do it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Kaktus*

Just get Gaustad already.

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
Briere Read Jagr
JVR Schenn Simmonds
Couturier Gaustad Talbot

Timonen Coburn
Carle Kubina
Grossman Meszaros

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I don't think JvR should be traded at this point. He has had an injury plagued season, but we have seen what he potentially brings; I still see him as a 25 goal 30 assist man. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited by Pantokrator: 02-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Would we really have to add to JvR to get EJ? I've never really been overly impressed with him...kind of in that underachieving Jack Johnson category. I'll be happy if my ignorance can be proven wrong though...
Top pairing defensemen > top-line wingers.

For the sake of argument, let's accept that those of the ceilings of Johnson and JVR respectively (though I'm not convinced JVR won't end up being a strong second-liner instead of a top-line player).

Johnson has played well this year for Colorado. I really, really can't see them moving him.

They would want to move Quincey, which should be a non-starter for the Flyers (if JVR is involved).

I haven't seen enough of Siemens to weight in, but I agree that moving JVR for prospects makes little sense.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No, in theory we shouldn't have to add to JVR to get EJ.

However, why trade for EJ without sending a defenseman back the other way?

We'd have 7 top 4 defensemen...?

Note: There are a handful of players I would consider moving JVR for: EJ, Carlson, Karlsson, Fowler, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, etc. All young defensemen. Other than that, we should not even consider moving JVR.
Unless we are adding Schenn or Couturier, we aren't getting near Karlsson, Fowler, Doughty, Pietrangelo. Washington seems wedded to Carlson, though I think the value is closer there; ditto Bogosian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hmmm.

Nah.

I want to re-sign Grossman this offseason.

And EJ's not worth JVR + Grossman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not terribly sure I'd even want Johnson unless the Avs sweetened the deal. I think I might want Quincey first.

I think EJ is underrated here. Right now, he'd be our second best (healthy) defenseman. He's easily better (all around) than Mez, Coburn, Carle, etc.

Quincey's exceeded expectations this year, but he's not a marked improvement on our current top-4. He's also three years older than EJ.

Both are RFA after this year, and in line for raises. At the same time, we would need to send more than JVR back, I think, to get Colorado above the cap floor.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
No EJ. Please. No EJ.
Not trying to start problems, just browse these boards every so often since I'm a Philly local.

Why wouldn't Flyers fans want EJ? I'm an Avs fan first and foremost, but he'd fill a lot of long term defensive concerns for the Philadelphia franchise and if Pronger even had a year left in him it would be very beneficial to help round out EJ's game as a #1 defenseman.

Seems like a perfect fit.

Unless it's the price people wouldn't want to pay, which is completely understandable.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Not trying to start problems, just browse these boards every so often since I'm a Philly local.

Why wouldn't Flyers fans want EJ? I'm an Avs fan first and foremost, but he'd fill a lot of long term defensive concerns for the Philadelphia franchise and if Pronger even had a year left in him it would be very beneficial to help round out EJ's game as a #1 defenseman.

Seems like a perfect fit.

Unless it's the price people wouldn't want to pay, which is completely understandable.
I think (some) Flyers fans are suffering from the same, generally vague and fact-free notion that Johnson has underachieved, meandering toward "bust" status that leads fans of other teams to dismiss JVR's value.

I think they are comparable players, in terms of their progression, though Johnson's was more definitively set back by the freak injury.

Positionally, though, I think Johnson has a decent amount more value that JVR.

To me, anything involving JVR + current roster defenseman not named Timonen is a no-brainer, though I'd rather keep Coburn if possible. It would give the organization a player with top-pairing / 1D potential to build around, along with the impressive crop of young forwards.

I can't honestly see how any Flyers fan wouldn't move JVR for Johnson. It seems a no-brainer, which also suggests that it isn't fair value.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Codith

I'd take EJ in a second, I like JVR but I think this team can do fine without him.

Imagine

EJ-Coburn
Kimo-Kubina
Grossman-Mez

****ing solid right there, and yes I'd give them Carle to, maybe try to get another piece from them.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
What kind of deal is EJ going to get this offseason though? He's an RFA so he should be cheaper, if only on a one year deal, but I'd like to keep him a while if we get him (maybe like Schenn type deal).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What kind of deal is EJ going to get this offseason though? He's an RFA so he should be cheaper, if only on a one year deal, but I'd like to keep him a while if we get him (maybe like Schenn type deal).
EJ's salary is still being speculated by Avs fans. But if I had to guess it'd be in the 4.75-5.25 range depending on the term he gets. He had a rough start to the year and hasn't put up the offensive numbers expected of him (to be fair, no one on our team has outside Landeskog/O'Reilly).

At that price he is currently worth it to me. His defensive prowess is phenomenal, only thing hurting him is a partner he can rely on in that regards. But his offensive numbers will need to be in the 40-50p range if he gets anything beyond 5.25mil to justify his contract for a team spending towards the cap.

Just my two cents.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote