HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if/when...

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 12:22 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
if/when...

lacroix deals for a goalie, do you:

a) want to keep abby, send sauve to the minors

b) trade abby immediately for whatever we can get, sauve as back-up

c) keep both on 23 man-roster like phx and atl and det are doing now.

my questioning is due the fact that the goalie we acquire may only be here for awhile or in the case of burke, history of nagging injuires.

ifwe acquire burke for this season only, we may need abby next year, or do we hand the reigns over to sauve.

thoughts?

Old
11-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
lacroix deals for a goalie, do you:

a) want to keep abby, send sauve to the minors

b) trade abby immediately for whatever we can get, sauve as back-up

c) keep both on 23 man-roster like phx and atl and det are doing now.

my questioning is due the fact that the goalie we acquire may only be here for awhile or in the case of burke, history of nagging injuires.

ifwe acquire burke for this season only, we may need abby next year, or do we hand the reigns over to sauve.

thoughts?
Hey, I couldn't figure out how to use this poll.

I think that if we take on a veteran goaltender, it's going to make for some hard choices. Ideally, I'd think we'd want to keep all our goalies, if it's feasible. But we'd have a logjam somewhere, and if we had to move someone, I'd think it would be Aebischer. I think Sauve will ultimately be the better goalie. If we go get a goalie of the quality where he's the starter hands down (Kolzig or Khabi, for instance), then we don't need Aebi this year, and would probably be just fine with Sauve in net next year.

If we do make a trade for a vet, I hope it's either someone really damn good who can make a difference in the playoffs, or someone for just in case, who we don't have to count on, but who could still take over if our young guys get shellshocked, like a Tugnutt or Hackett type.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Breck Av

I don't think you can keep Aebi around if you trade for a veteran #1. His confidence will go in the tank, it's like saying "we don't think you're the answer for a good team now, but next year when we're not as good you'll be fine."

I think trading for a #1, keeping Sauve as the backup and goalie of the future, and trading Aebi for whatever you can get, is the best solution.

It looks right now like Sauve is the better, more promising goalie of the two.

Will Aebi ever return to the type of goalie he was in 2001-'02?

Old
11-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
I don't think you can keep Aebi around if you trade for a veteran #1. His confidence will go in the tank, it's like saying "we don't think you're the answer for a good team now, but next year when we're not as good you'll be fine."

I think trading for a #1, keeping Sauve as the backup and goalie of the future, and trading Aebi for whatever you can get, is the best solution.

I agree, he wouldn't be the same here. He'd be better off if given a fresh opportunity eslewhere.

Ideally, I'd like to keep eveyone on the team, execpt for Skoula, and trade Abby and/or Skoula, and picks/defensive prospects for a goalie. I like the make-up of this team right now (minus the man in net), and don't think they can afford to trade anymore forwards for depth purposes.

This team is as good as any if you can put the Bulin wall, or a Burk, or a Nabokov, or even a CUJO in net.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av

I don't nessecarily think Abby's confidence would go in the tank. I think he woud be disapointed for sure, but he's a good team guy, and might realize that this year, with this team, just might not be his year. Also I don't know why you would say that right now Sauve looks better than Abby, as he has only had about 4 periods of solid hockey, and a few less than average games, not that he can't be in that situation that you are refering to later in the season.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:37 AM
devilman

I do not believe they would trade for a veteran goalie immediately. For what reason, Av's won the last games, Abby looked good, and has the potential to regain his confidence. Also they invested a lot of time and money in him for his "apprenticeship" with Roy, so they would send a message "we were terribly stupid to keep Abby and let Denis go". That would be a 3-year-mistake, just can't imagine that.

Also for payroll purposes I can't imagine a trade for a veteran. This would add a couple of mio's of dollares, even if they trade away Abby (I think he's making less than 1mio.).

Just let him play and if the team wins, fine. If they will not be where they should be by trading deadline, fine, trade for a veteran. I donno believe Abby would break loose and loose every game and put his team in a slump on his own. If Abby sinks, half of the D-men should also. I saw only one game vs. Jersey, they let him alone, just one or two fancy voyages out of the net were stupid, otherwise he looked solid.

Just my 2cents opinion, certainly I don't see a lot of games 'cause the NHL is not very well covered on TV in Switzerland.

Closed Thread