HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun doesn't think Gauthier will be back as GM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2012, 11:53 PM
  #51
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't get you man. You crucified Gainey while he was in the big chair but you fight tooth and nail for PG. What's up with that? Seriously man, PG hasn't been good so I'm not sure why you get so defensive whenever he's criticized. Esp when you consider how much you trashed Gainey on here.
THIS IS RICH!

Gainey made moves like trading our best prospect for one of the worst contracts in the league or moving our starting goaltender weeks before the playoffs after the best season we had in over 20 years to leave everything in the hands of a complete rookie. The two are so day and night it is not even funny. Gauthier has traded garbage and UFA's for picks, prospects and promising rookies and has single handedly brought this team away from the "smurf" laughing stock it was.

Do people here have the memory of a goldfish? Is a 40-50 point dman like kaberle our biggest problem?! Get some priorities people.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:55 PM
  #52
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,337
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't get you man. You crucified Gainey while he was in the big chair but you fight tooth and nail for PG. What's up with that? Seriously man, PG hasn't been good so I'm not sure why you get so defensive whenever he's criticized. Esp when you consider how much you trashed Gainey on here.
Especially considering Gauthier was Bobs right hand man.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yes those are some lovely facts you have there that mean almost nothing. Gauthier has entirely inherited this mess and is cleaning it up but I am sure you are the kind of person who blames the janitor when he cleans up someone elses puke. Perfect reasoning.
He was part of the management that brought in this 'mess'. Director of Professional Scouting and Assistant General Manager to be exact. You're making it seem this role has no say in decisions. Gainey is the one who helped make him GM in the first place. I'll try to find some quote from the press conference.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 02-21-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
  #53
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
THIS IS RICH!

Gainey made moves like trading our best prospect for one of the worst contracts in the league or moving our starting goaltender weeks before the playoffs after the best season we had in over 20 years to leave everything in the hands of a complete rookie. The two are so day and night it is not even funny. Gauthier has traded garbage and UFA's for picks, prospects and promising rookies and has single handedly brought this team away from the "smurf" laughing stock it was.

Do people here have the memory of a goldfish? Is a 40-50 point dman like kaberle our biggest problem?! Get some priorities people.
Weren't latendresse, d'agostini, kostitsyn, o'byrne, etc... all drafted by gainey, all traded by Gauthier?

It goes both ways.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:57 PM
  #54
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pierre Gauthier helped Gainey build the team. While Gainey was the GM, removing Gauthier of any responsibility then bashing Gainey is short sighted. He was his right hand man, his next in line. He had a lot to do with acquiring the players he did.
Ok show me the records of Gauthier saying "Gainey if you don't get "so and so" I am quitting"

This is another tired excuse people drag out when the desperation sets in. Fact of the matter is Gainey picks those lemons when he was the boss, Gauthier has done nothing that even resembles those trades and until he does you have nothing to link them. GM's don't always listen to their right hand men so until you can prove he had something to do with them, keep on keeping on.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:58 PM
  #55
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Weren't latendresse, d'agostini, kostitsyn, o'byrne, etc... all drafted by gainey, all traded by Gauthier?

It goes both ways.
Traded for what amounts to a basket of fresh fruit.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
  #56
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Weren't latendresse, d'agostini, kostitsyn, o'byrne, etc... all drafted by gainey, all traded by Gauthier?

It goes both ways.
I know, all superstars in the making. I guess they could solve our 4th line problem, or maybe we could start collecting locker room cancers, sounds like some fun.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:03 AM
  #57
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
THIS IS RICH!

Gainey made moves like trading our best prospect for one of the worst contracts in the league or moving our starting goaltender weeks before the playoffs after the best season we had in over 20 years to leave everything in the hands of a complete rookie. The two are so day and night it is not even funny. Gauthier has traded garbage and UFA's for picks, prospects and promising rookies and has single handedly brought this team away from the "smurf" laughing stock it was.

Do people here have the memory of a goldfish? Is a 40-50 point dman like kaberle our biggest problem?! Get some priorities people.
*sigh*

You can't seem to think further than the stat sheet. Here's why the Kaberle trade was so STUPID!

The D core needed upgrading even WITH Markov in the lineup. That did not happen. Then Markov has a set back. Gauthier runs out and grabs Chris frigging Campoli a week before the season started. A bottom pairing dman who no one wanted. Not only is he signed, but he is given a RAISE! The Campoli experiment doesn't work out....at this point it's looking like the season is OVER. But, Mr. reactive GM in attempt to save his own ass after the Pern firing didn't work out....trades Spacek (solid defensively) for Kaberle who garnered 0 interst around the league. So much so that Rutherford was including a pick just to get rid of the guy. Here's the good part...kaberle makes 4.25M for another 2 years after this. Replaced an expiring contract with an albatross. 4M dollars in valuable cap room...gone

"he's on pace for 40 points". WTF does that mean? Do you watch the games? The guy racks up secondary assists and is a mess in his own zone... He can't/doesn't shoot either. And you defend this....but trash Gainey for trading Huet for a 2nd? This is a dumber deal.

Oh...I also forgot to add the Kostitsyn trade. Come defend that one, smart guy.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
  #58
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,337
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ok show me the records of Gauthier saying "Gainey if you don't get "so and so" I am quitting"

This is another tired excuse people drag out when the desperation sets in. Fact of the matter is Gainey picks those lemons when he was the boss, Gauthier has done nothing that even resembles those trades and until he does you have nothing to link them. GM's don't always listen to their right hand men so until you can prove he had something to do with them, keep on keeping on.
Show me the records of Gauthier disapproving any of Gainey's moves? Do you really believe a Director of Professional Scouting and Assistant General Manager has no say in a GM's decision? Why would that even be a job?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:09 AM
  #59
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 500
hope he's right.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:11 AM
  #60
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I know, all superstars in the making. I guess they could solve our 4th line problem, or maybe we could start collecting locker room cancers, sounds like some fun.
I'm not one to bring them up, as they had a reason to be moved, but you said he added promising players during his watch. This shows otherwise, besides as if Gainey didn't. The core that got us to 3rd round, gaineys. The young talent on this team, drafted by gainey. Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Emelin, Weber, White, etc... all gainey.

You're praising Gauthier for what, ridding us of cammalleri? Sure, I like the trade, but did you think cammalleri had no value and PG pulled out a miracle for a playoff beast?

The irony of your logic, is not that Gainey is without flaw. He made a few blunders, gomez being a huge one. The irony is that a guy who doesn't have a perfect record either is without flaw for you.

I'll gladly accept gauthier hasn't done too bad. I was strongly against him but the fact he's selling makes me happy and the gill return was excellent. However, what's the deal? Gainey had better steals in his time, better drafts and better direction, he also had a bigger blunder in gomez. Now, PG hasn't done much good, nor much bad. He got a good return for gill, but got kaberle as well in same year. So, how can you say Gainey is terrible, but gauthier has done a good job? If Gauthier did a good job, so did gainey. If Gauthier did a bad job, gainey did as well. They're records are not very different. If anything, history shows Gainey has the better one as a player, coach and GM.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM
  #61
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
*sigh*

You can't seem to think further than the stat sheet. Here's why the Kaberle trade was so STUPID!

The D core needed upgrading even WITH Markov in the lineup. That did not happen. Then Markov has a set back. Gauthier runs out and grabs Chris frigging Campoli a week before the season started. A bottom pairing dman who no one wanted. Not only is he signed, but he is given a RAISE! The Campoli experiment doesn't work out....at this point it's looking like the season is OVER. But, Mr. reactive GM in attempt to save his own ass after the Pern firing didn't work out....trades Spacek (solid defensively) for Kaberle who garnered 0 interst around the league. So much so that Rutherford was including a pick just to get rid of the guy. Here's the good part...kaberle makes 4.25M for another 2 years after this. Replaced an expiring contract with an albatross. 4M dollars in valuable cap room...gone

"he's on pace for 40 points". WTF does that mean? Do you watch the games? The guy racks up secondary assists and is a mess in his own zone... He can't/doesn't shoot either. And you defend this....but trash Gainey for trading Huet for a 2nd? This is a dumber deal.

Oh...I also forgot to add the Kostitsyn trade. Come defend that one, smart guy.
Spacek has now gone from "spacegoat" to "solid defensivly", welcome to revisionist history 101 children. Kaberle doesn't shoot?!?!!? Well colour me suprised, I always thought his shot was like the the explosion of a 1000 suns! You watch hockey much?

Kaberle is excellent cycling the puck and feeding players for one timers, too bad that player is usually named weber, diaz or "mister wind-up" Subban. But yes Kaberle even before we traded for him was our biggest problem, before he showed up we were #1!

Kostitsyn was a cancer and was traded, good bye and who really cares DD makes him look worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Show me the records of Gauthier disapproving any of Gainey's moves? Do you really believe a Director of Professional Scouting and Assistant General Manager has no say in a GM's decision? Why would that even be a job?
I don't have to dispprove **** the burden is on you muffin. You want your little claims taken seriously back them up. I dunno why is a "consultant" a real job? Because people like advice sometimes, but in the end the boss makes the call, that's why he makes the big bucks.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM
  #62
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
THIS IS RICH!

Gainey made moves like trading our best prospect for one of the worst contracts in the league or moving our starting goaltender weeks before the playoffs after the best season we had in over 20 years to leave everything in the hands of a complete rookie. The two are so day and night it is not even funny. Gauthier has traded garbage and UFA's for picks, prospects and promising rookies and has single handedly brought this team away from the "smurf" laughing stock it was.
How are they night and day? I don't get you man.

Look, I've been a very vocal critic of Gainey's. The second half of his tenure was flat out awful. There's no doubt about that and I'm certainly not going to defend the McD trade as I ripped it to shreds the second I saw it. But I would think that if you're able to see the flaws in Gainey, you'd be able to see the flaws in PG.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Do people here have the memory of a goldfish? Is a 40-50 point dman like kaberle our biggest problem?! Get some priorities people.
You come here and spout crap like "PG is cleaning up Gainey's mess.." No he's not! He's making messes of his own. Kaberle was a terrible move and your defense of PG's tenure here makes absolutely no sense at all. Yet in spite of all reason you continue to defend the ruderless route that he's set course on.

Why do you continue to defend this guy? He's not well respected, has made poor knee jerk reactionary moves, has demonstrated little ability of putting together a long term plan and in the face of the plain view fact that we were going to miss the playoffs, STILL continued to make short term moves designed to desperately squeak into 8th place and saddle us with dumb contracts. The guy has been a gong show so far... why do you want to keep him?

hockeyfan2k11's post from earlier was dead on. Go read it again and come to your senses. PG has sucked.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:14 AM
  #63
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not one to bring them up, as they had a reason to be moved, but you said he added promising players during his watch. This shows otherwise, besides as if Gainey didn't. The core that got us to 3rd round, gaineys. The young talent on this team, drafted by gainey. Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Emelin, Weber, White, etc... all gainey.

You're praising Gauthier for what, ridding us of cammalleri? Sure, I like the trade, but did you think cammalleri had no value and PG pulled out a miracle for a playoff beast?

The irony of your logic, is not that Gainey is without flaw. He made a few blunders, gomez being a huge one. The irony is that a guy who doesn't have a perfect record either is without flaw for you.

I'll gladly accept gauthier hasn't done too bad. I was strongly against him but the fact he's selling makes me happy and the gill return was excellent. However, what's the deal? Gainey had better steals in his time, better drafts and better direction, he also had a bigger blunder in gomez. Now, PG hasn't done much good, nor much bad. He got a good return for gill, but got kaberle as well in same year. So, how can you say Gainey is terrible, but gauthier has done a good job? If Gauthier did a good job, so did gainey. If Gauthier did a bad job, gainey did as well. They're records are not very different. If anything, history shows Gainey has the better one as a player, coach and GM.
Well you just proved that the fire gauthier movement is way too premature

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
  #64
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Either you have me confused with someone else or you're a bold faced liar.

I was FOR the Martin firing, smart guy

When did I say the Cam trade was strange? I said it was a nonsensical trade.

And then you have the audacity to put these things in quotes as if they have been said? LOL

But lets look at a few things.

The Kaberle deal was the worst deal this year. The Cammy deal is a "meh" deal.

The Lapierre deal last year was nonsensical given that in a lesser role just weeks later, he was traded for a better pick. Not to mention Lapierre is a guy we could use on this team.

Signing Campoli right before the season started and giving him a RAISE was another dumb move, that covered up his blunder with Markov...then that blunder was covered up by the Kaberle trade. Great GM, huh

Going into the season with the entire team's fortunes riding on Markov (a guy who has been injured for 2 seasons and coming off an injury) was STUPID! Even WITH Markov, the D corp looked weak.

Realizing in the middle of the season that we needed to get bigger when everyone and their mother knew this a couple years earlier.

His inability to put together a legitmate 4th line...we've had 4-5 4th line centermen since he's been here.

Handling any kind of volatility by firing or trade.

Firing Pern (very well liked) for really no reason.

Firing Martin right before a game and adding a guy who has 0 coaching experience in Carriere.

Hiring a new coach, then telling the media/fans that he's interim and will not be back next year. Then APOLOGIZING.

Last year at the deadline when Halpern (4th line center) was playing on the 1st line he thought the better solution was to trade picks for dmen who are no longer playing in the league. He then makes up some stupid story about a roof, a hole and a vacation.

He is a reactive GM who has a checkered history everywhere he's gone. Under Gauthier's watch the team has basically become a laughing stock

and you want to bring this clown back? Every GM makes poor trades, the problem with Gauthier is the BAD outweighs the good and it's not JUST about trades. The perception of Gauthier very low. The perception of the Habs organization is not a good one.

Oh, and how can we forget the great players we got under his watch as head of pro scouting. Get this clown far away from this team.
Was gearing up to write something similar, then you stroll in ahead of me and just knock it out of the park! I'd hate you were it not for this righteous post

jwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
  #65
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Show me the records of Gauthier disapproving any of Gainey's moves? Do you really believe a Director of Professional Scouting and Assistant General Manager has no say in a GM's decision? Why would that even be a job?
What's weird is Gauthier is the only head of Pro scouting/assistant GM who has had 0 impact/influence on the players that were brought in/moved during his tenure.

Yet every other Ass. GM is credited with having an active role in the decision making process. Funny how that works.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:18 AM
  #66
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
How are they night and day? I don't get you man.

Look, I've been a very vocal critic of Gainey's. The second half of his tenure was flat out awful. There's no doubt about that and I'm certainly not going to defend the McD trade as I ripped it to shreds the second I saw it. But I would think that if you're able to see the flaws in Gainey, you'd be able to see the flaws in PG.



You come here and spout crap like "PG is cleaning up Gainey's mess.." No he's not! He's making messes of his own. Kaberle was a terrible move and your defense of PG's tenure here makes absolutely no sense at all. Yet in spite of all reason you continue to defend the ruderless route that he's set course on.

Why do you continue to defend this guy? He's not well respected, has made poor knee jerk reactionary moves, has demostrated little ability of putting together a long term plan and in the face of the plain view fact that we were going to miss the playoffs, STILL continued to make short term moves designed to desperately squeak into 8th place and saddle us with dumb contracts. The guy has been a gong show so far... why do you want to keep him?
Why is kaberle a terrible move exactly? Upgraded the defense, took on a semi ok contract that is only for 2 years, when this team is back on track, a proven D like Kaberle can truly make the difference between 1 round of playoffs and 2 or 3. And, 4 millions is peanuts and will likeably be absorbed in the process of the next cap raise

And yet, if he keeps selling and that somehow we continue winning, and end up just out of a playoffs spot, you'll be the first on your soapbox to criticize Gauthier for selling

its the ol' haters rope-a-dope

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:18 AM
  #67
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Well you just proved that the fire gauthier movement is way too premature
Depends how you see it. You could percieve it as "this team is 90% Gainey and Gauthier failed to do much to build on it as seen by our record".

Although, I DID just say I think how he ends the year is important.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:21 AM
  #68
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Why is kaberle a terrible move exactly? Upgraded the defense, took on a semi ok contract that is only for 2 years, when this team is back on track, a proven D like Kaberle can truly make the difference between 1 round of playoffs and 2 or 3. And, 4 millions is peanuts and will likeably be absorbed in the process of the next cap raise

And yet, if he keeps selling and that somehow we continue winning, and end up just out of a playoffs spot, you'll be the first on your soapbox to criticize Gauthier for selling

its the ol' haters rope-a-dope
Ask Boston if they wanted to keep him despite winning the cup with him? Nope.

We need a physical top 4 D. Not Kaberle. That's why we suck. We had Subban, Weber, Diaz, Spacek as guys who can move the puck well. Now...we have kaberle. I think we even lost more after getting kaberle. He's a good offensive d-man but we have guys already and if PG felt markov would've been back soon(before set back), why do we need an inferior player in kaberle?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:22 AM
  #69
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not one to bring them up, as they had a reason to be moved, but you said he added promising players during his watch. This shows otherwise, besides as if Gainey didn't. The core that got us to 3rd round, gaineys. The young talent on this team, drafted by gainey. Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Emelin, Weber, White, etc... all gainey.

You're praising Gauthier for what, ridding us of cammalleri? Sure, I like the trade, but did you think cammalleri had no value and PG pulled out a miracle for a playoff beast?

The irony of your logic, is not that Gainey is without flaw. He made a few blunders, gomez being a huge one. The irony is that a guy who doesn't have a perfect record either is without flaw for you.

I'll gladly accept gauthier hasn't done too bad. I was strongly against him but the fact he's selling makes me happy and the gill return was excellent. However, what's the deal? Gainey had better steals in his time, better drafts and better direction, he also had a bigger blunder in gomez. Now, PG hasn't done much good, nor much bad. He got a good return for gill, but got kaberle as well in same year. So, how can you say Gainey is terrible, but gauthier has done a good job? If Gauthier did a good job, so did gainey. If Gauthier did a bad job, gainey did as well. They're records are not very different. If anything, history shows Gainey has the better one as a player, coach and GM.
1) We aren't far enough in to see the results of Gauthiers drafting
2) Gaineys mistakes were catastrophic and still effecting us today, Gauthiers have been "getting a 40point dman!!!"
3) Gauthier in his short time has had better moves. Cole, DD, Emelin, Price.
4) Gauthier has much better direction, letting star players leave for nothing and then rushing out and grabbing a bunch of ex devils in the hopes overpaying them pays off was downright retarded. Took Gainey abandoning ship like a coward for us to finally get big tough players, thank you gauthier.
5) Who cares about his record as a player, stay on topic.
6) Comparing these two is hilarious, gainey made moves that sit him down beside milbury, Gauthier has done nothing like that. Hell if Kaberle maintains his point pace from this year to next we could feasibly move him for a 1st round pick and I bet a lot of you would be mysteriously missing.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:24 AM
  #70
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
I'm not as certain as I once was that Gauthier is as good as gone. Personally, his last two deals have made me feel a little better about his body of work. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the markov fiasco, but the desperation move of bringing kaberle in is one I dont like. I'd much rather have kept spacek and his expiring contract.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:27 AM
  #71
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Spacek has now gone from "spacegoat" to "solid defensivly", welcome to revisionist history 101 children. Kaberle doesn't shoot?!?!!? Well colour me suprised, I always thought his shot was like the the explosion of a 1000 suns! You watch hockey much?
Spacek was a +20 during his time in Montreal. Yes, he was solid defensively, and looks like Scott Stevens next to Kaberle. And Kaberle is known for not shooting. Even when he was having his best seasons with the Leafs his biggest criticism was not shooting enough. Do you watch hockey at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Kaberle is excellent cycling the puck and feeding players for one timers, too bad that player is usually named weber, diaz or "mister wind-up" Subban. But yes Kaberle even before we traded for him was our biggest problem, before he showed up we were #1!
What does him not beign our biggest problem have to do with anything? His salary is a PROBLEM. A Problem your GM created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Kostitsyn was a cancer and was traded, good bye and who really cares DD makes him look worthless.
Cancer, huh? I thought you didn't pay attention to rumors and hearsay. 37 goals in a year and a half is worthless, huh? Pierre, is that you?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:28 AM
  #72
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Singing Markov was a great move. Cannot wait til he's back and bringing us back to reality. If his injury cost us the playoffs this season, fine, whatever, I think we got a lot better by the end and next year will prove to be a huge resurgence. Yes, I think he's coming back and will be just as good. Not signing Markov would have been the stupidest thing ever. Like I said, it's been too long for most to remember what Markov can do (spare me the "pts in the playoffs", he's one of the best D in the league, period).

I don't think PG has done a bad job. Injuries have really made him look bad. He hasn't f'd the franchise over bigtime. Believe it or not, that's actually pretty easy to do. He's also been reactive and has us going in the right direction. I don't mind another year with him to see where this goes. If only we could get those prospects sooner that later.

I'm seriously expecting a Cup (as much as one can) in the next 5 years and a lot of it will be due to PG's moves. If nothing else, thank you for Eller, but also a ton of things people forget about.

That said, Lebrun might be right just cuz the public's opinion of him is so bad due to the reasons I think are overhyped.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
  #73
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
1) We aren't far enough in to see the results of Gauthiers drafting
2) Gaineys mistakes were catastrophic and still effecting us today, Gauthiers have been "getting a 40point dman!!!"
3) Gauthier in his short time has had better moves. Cole, DD, Emelin, Price.
4) Gauthier has much better direction, letting star players leave for nothing and then rushing out and grabbing a bunch of ex devils in the hopes overpaying them pays off was downright retarded. Took Gainey abandoning ship like a coward for us to finally get big tough players, thank you gauthier.
5) Who cares about his record as a player, stay on topic.
6) Comparing these two is hilarious, gainey made moves that sit him down beside milbury, Gauthier has done nothing like that. Hell if Kaberle maintains his point pace from this year to next we could feasibly move him for a 1st round pick and I bet a lot of you would be mysteriously missing.
1)Fair enough
2)Gomez...who else?
3)DD, Emelin, Price all drafted/signed by gainey. Gainey was a strong supporter of Price. Please don't give me the the logic that Gainey would've chose Halak. It was obvious Price was his man. Funny though, when price wasn't sharp, people say it was Gainey as an 'advisor' who forced gauthier. Now other way around.
4)Pacioretty, Moen, White, Kostitsyn, Gill, Emelin, Subban...any guy who can be seen as having any sort of physicality on our team was drafted/signed by gainey. The only ones left are bourque and cole(excellent signing). As for the players leaving, 100th anniversary, couldn't tank/sell.
5)K, let's compare their records in coaching/managing. gainey wins.
6)I think Kaberle has value. I never said he didn't. I don't think the deal was as bad as Gomez, it would be crazy to suggest that. However, end of the day, gainey made the gomez mistake and gauthier made kaberle mistake. Gainey also got us are best young forward, best young D, best young G, our future captain in gorges, our current captain in Gionta, etc. Gauthier got us Cole. Yes, all great pieces, but Gainey did more good, and Gainey also had a bigger mistake. I'm generous when I say it evens out.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
  #74
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,332
vCash: 500
I dont know if he will be back. Personally i am not a fan of his and believe the team needs a GM with some fresh ideas and a different approach. However, if he isnt at least on the hot seat then i question ownership. This is the GM who has lead Montreal to the second worst home record in the NHL and one of their worst seasons in a long time.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
  #75
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm not as certain as I once was that Gauthier is as good as gone. Personally, his last two deals have made me feel a little better about his body of work. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the markov fiasco, but the desperation move of bringing kaberle in is one I dont like. I'd much rather have kept spacek and his expiring contract.
You're happy with invisible Bourque for another 4 years? The fact that the guy didn't even shop Cammy makes me sick to my stomach. I would have kept him...but I guess adding Kaberle made Cammy expendable

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.