HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks pursuing Steve Ott (McKenzie)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2012, 01:03 AM
  #51
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,198
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Morrow!!

CCF is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:03 AM
  #52
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
if lappy can be toned down, i see no reason why ott cant be.? he's a **** disturber that can score/forecheck. hound the other team's top line. van would be the most hated team with the guys they have now.

David71 is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:05 AM
  #53
John Bender*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
But Gillis has something that most other playoff bound teams don't have - a guy in Raymond that can step into Dallas' top 6/9 and replace Ott's minutes. How many other teams will be willing to move a roster forward better than Mason Raymond? If Dallas is looking for a hockey deal, Vancouver has an excellent shot here...



Nobody likes Steve Ott. That's why you want him on your side. By all accounts he's very well liked by his teammates.

Sick him on Joe Thornton for a 7 game series. Finally we would see Thornton eat **** for disrespecting the Sedins for no other reason than he can. Ott going head to head with Thornton is a good time...

Ott should be a terrific fit alongside Hodgson and Hansen. It would be huge going from winning 41% of draws to 57%. It would also give the Canucks 4 bottom 6 wingers that like to crash and bang - good fit for AV.
AV will probably end up sitting Ott and starting Rome at right wing.

John Bender* is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:05 AM
  #54
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because he's a side show? Lapierre is one thing, AV had a relationship with him already. Ott scares me. A guy that ugly can not be trusted.
You are thinking of Ott when he broke into the league, he's not the same guy. He's a very strong team guy, he wears an "A" in Dallas and he wears it for a reason.

Canucker is online now  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:09 AM
  #55
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because he's a side show? Lapierre is one thing, AV had a relationship with him already. Ott scares me. A guy that ugly can not be trusted.
Ott is extremely competitive. I love that.

He doesn't back down an inch, and is ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the oppositions best players.

I think his addition could give this team a very strong lineup.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:11 AM
  #56
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because he's a side show? Lapierre is one thing, AV had a relationship with him already. Ott scares me. A guy that ugly can not be trusted.

Bgav is online now  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
  #57
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ott is extremely competitive. I love that.

He doesn't back down an inch, and is ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the oppositions best players.

I think his addition could give this team a very strong lineup.
Ott loves himself. He likes attention, on and off the ice. The guy is a travelling side show. He will retire to the circus.

Scurr is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:13 AM
  #58
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Ott loves himself. He likes attention, on and off the ice. The guy is a travelling side show. He will retire to the circus.


You are either joking or are absolutely clueless as to who Steve Ott is.

Canucker is online now  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:15 AM
  #59
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because he's a side show? Lapierre is one thing, AV had a relationship with him already. Ott scares me. A guy that ugly can not be trusted.
Lapierre was more of a problem then Ott , and look at him now, he's a key piece to our team. Hard to argue that fact. Ott is a much different player then you think, but I have a feeling you're saying no because it involves Raymond, the 25 goal scorer...

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:16 AM
  #60
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Ott loves himself. He likes attention, on and off the ice. The guy is a travelling side show. He will retire to the circus.


Good one.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:17 AM
  #61
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ott is extremely competitive. I love that.

He doesn't back down an inch, and is ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the oppositions best players.

I think his addition could give this team a very strong lineup.
He's basically another Lapierre, but a bit better, IMO. I'd love to add another player like that.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:18 AM
  #62
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ott is extremely competitive. I love that.

He doesn't back down an inch, and is ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the oppositions best players.

I think his addition could give this team a very strong lineup.
I have Ott in our fantasy league. I'll send a proposal to you tomorrow. You'll love him.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:26 AM
  #63
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Lapierre was more of a problem then Ott , and look at him now, he's a key piece to our team. Hard to argue that fact. Ott is a much different player then you think, but I have a feeling you're saying no because it involves Raymond, the 25 goal scorer...
Because what involves Raymond? The pretend trade on the internets

I'm half kidding. Guys like this are great to have if they do it in a way that isn't a distraction to the team. I think you guys are assuming that because Lapierre fell in line, Ott would too. I don't think that's necessarily the case. Lapierre had played for AV before, he felt they could make it work. If Gillis thinks Ott will do the same then I'm all for it, I'm just not taking it for granted.

Ott might be a great guy but he isn't a great teammate imo, he's too much of a distraction. Too many games where he's a sideshow. That isn't what the Canucks want or need imo. If he can pull a Lapierre then great, Gillis will do his homework on the guy and find out.

Scurr is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:27 AM
  #64
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Ott (2.950M) makes more then Raymond (2.55M), but I think that'd all change as Raymond needs a new contract, and would want maybe ~3-3.25M? Ott is a gritty player, and will drive the net. Would be such a solid addition IMO.
Ott is a hitting machine.

me2 is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:38 AM
  #65
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because what involves Raymond? The pretend trade on the internets

I'm half kidding. Guys like this are great to have if they do it in a way that isn't a distraction to the team. I think you guys are assuming that because Lapierre fell in line, Ott would too. I don't think that's necessarily the case. Lapierre had played for AV before, he felt they could make it work. If Gillis thinks Ott will do the same then I'm all for it, I'm just not taking it for granted.

Ott might be a great guy but he isn't a great teammate imo, he's too much of a distraction. Too many games where he's a sideshow. That isn't what the Canucks want or need imo. If he can pull a Lapierre then great, Gillis will do his homework on the guy and find out.
So what explains him having the 'A' in Dallas then? Unless you're a Dallas Stars player, how do you know he's a distraction? I just don't understand, this guy is a much better 3rd line option over anyone else on the market IMO, and would be a better option then Raymond right now.

You just grasping at straws with the whole distraction thing because you have no idea what his teammates think of him. I think they love him and because he has the 'A' shows they respect him, and he has good leadership.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:39 AM
  #66
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Ott is a hitting machine.
Exactly, would be such a beauty in the playoffs for us because his abilities, especially hitting because he'd be wearing down the opponents. He'd basically be our Torres from last playoffs, but with a much better all around game.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
  #67
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
So what explains him having the 'A' in Dallas then? Unless you're a Dallas Stars player, how do you know he's a distraction? I just don't understand, this guy is a much better 3rd line option over anyone else on the market IMO, and would be a better option then Raymond right now.

You just grasping at straws with the whole distraction thing because you have no idea what his teammates think of him. I think they love him and because he has the 'A' shows they respect him, and he has good leadership.
I know he's a distraction because I've watched him play. Why would I be grasping at straws? It's my view of the guy. IMO guys like Ott and Carcillo take it too far and are bad teammates when they do.

This team wants to play whistle to whistle. Would anyone that has watched him play say that describes Otts game?

Scurr is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:43 AM
  #68
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Exactly, would be such a beauty in the playoffs for us because his abilities, especially hitting because he'd be wearing down the opponents. He'd basically be our Torres from last playoffs, but with a much better all around game.
hes no mason raymond! a 5 on 5 scoring machine!

Bgav is online now  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:44 AM
  #69
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
hes no mason raymond! a 5 on 5 scoring machine!
Better scoring percentage 5v5 per 60 mins then Kesler, even though he's outweighed in every other stat.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:47 AM
  #70
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I know he's a distraction because I've watched him play. Why would I be grasping at straws? It's my view of the guy. IMO guys like Ott and Carcillo take it too far and are bad teammates when they do.

This team wants to play whistle to whistle. Would anyone that has watched him play say that describes Otts game?
If Ott wants a Stanley Cup, he'll have to tone it down otherwise he'll be seeing very little icetime, no matter where he goes. He comes here, he'd still act as a pest (See: Lapierre, Burrows etc) but wouldn't be going over the line if he wants icetime. I think he'd realize you can't do borderline stuff in the playoffs all the time.

I'd take him in a heartbeat for Raymond, pick, regardless of his 'sideshow' or 'distractions'. The guy has an 'A', I don't see how a guy that would distract a team would be given an 'A'.

Carcillo is just brain dead, he's like Eager. Ott is no plug like them.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:51 AM
  #71
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
He's basically another Lapierre, but a bit better, IMO. I'd love to add another player like that.
IMO he's a lot better than Lapierre. I would say he's more like Chris Higgins, with Torres hitting game, Malhotra's faceoff skills and Lapierre's pest abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Ott is a hitting machine.
Yup, he's averaged around 3.5 hits a game for years. Ott would be the Canucks best bodychecker. He also skates well enough to hit the opposition's top players - something that isn't easy to do.

Ott's 2 best attributes are his physicality and faceoff skills. The exact skillset you're looking for to shelter Hodgson in the faceoff circle and give the team an energy 3rd line.

With playoff Lapierre being twice the player as regular season Lapierre I wouldn't be surprised to see AV go to an Ott, Lapierre, Hansen checking 3rd line. Those 3 would drive Thornton/Toews/Backes or whoever they're up against mental.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:52 AM
  #72
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
If Ott wants a Stanley Cup, he'll have to tone it down otherwise he'll be seeing very little icetime, no matter where he goes. He comes here, he'd still act as a pest (See: Lapierre, Burrows etc) but wouldn't be going over the line if he wants icetime. I think he'd realize you can't do borderline stuff in the playoffs all the time.

I'd take him in a heartbeat for Raymond, pick, regardless of his 'sideshow' or 'distractions'. The guy has an 'A', I don't see how a guy that would distract a team would be given an 'A'.

Carcillo is just brain dead, he's like Eager. Ott is no plug like them.
Why keep bringing up last nights discussion about Raymond? Get over it.

Like I said, if Gillis thinks this guy can fall in line I'm all for it.

Scurr is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:53 AM
  #73
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
hes no mason raymond! a 5 on 5 scoring machine!
You add so much to every discussion you join. Never change.

Scurr is offline  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:54 AM
  #74
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You add so much to every discussion you join. Never change.
i know right? just like yesterday you stopped replying because you had no response.

Your pulling **** out of your ass with regards to ott. Ask any dallas stars fan how ott is on and off the ice. He has the A for a reason.

Bgav is online now  
Old
02-21-2012, 01:54 AM
  #75
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Why keep bringing up last nights discussion about Raymond? Get over it.

Like I said, if Gillis thinks this guy can fall in line I'm all for it.
Never brought up Raymond from last night in this post. But, I think Ott would by into toning it down, because he'd be given such a valuable role on the team and would rather not be sat for taking some bad penalties. I suspect MG would ask Ott if he'd be willing to tone it down a bit, but he'd be given a big 3rd line role, PK minutes etc.

PG Canuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.