HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 2011-12 Rumor , Speculation , Trade Proposal thread II

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
EbonyRaptor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Depends on how long Grabos contract is. Leddy, Bolland, Stalberg, TOEWS, and KANE all need to be resigned in the next 2 seasons. Signing Grabovski to a 4-5 year $5 mil contract cripples this team cap wise.

Yes, cold steel, cap flexibility is more important than signing Grabovski
Just to correct the record:

Leddy and Stalberg are signed through next season -2012/13.

Bolland has 2 more years after this season - through 2013/14.

Toews and Kane have 3 more years after this season - through 2014/15.

But your point regarding another long term $5M+ salary is valid. If we knew with certainty that the salary cap would go up every year, then signing Grobovsky or someother big and long contract would be manageable - but there is no guarantee so there's a real possibility that signing Grabo to a 5 year deal might mean not being able to re-sign a Leddy, Stalberg or Bolland.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

We traded Campbell away to resign our players and have flexibilty and now should sign Grabo for 5+ million with Krüger getting better, Pirri looking promising and McNeill waiting?

Old
02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
We traded Campbell away to resign our players and have flexibilty and now should sign Grabo for 5+ million with Krüger getting better, Pirri looking promising and McNeill waiting?
Trading for him would be a great move IMO. As far as resigning him, that's a separate decision. I have no problem with Kruger playing wing if need be. What are your thoughts on Kruger as a wing?

Old
02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Would you rather wait 2-3 years for McNeill to not only make the NHL, but have an impact enough to be a good #2 center?

Isn't this team close enough now where they should go for it. And by saying that I don't necessarily mean right now - but if not now, certainly make the moves to go for it this summer?

Old
02-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Would you rather wait 2-3 years for McNeill to not only make the NHL, but have an impact enough to be a good #2 center?

Isn't this team close enough now where they should go for it. And by saying that I don't necessarily mean right now - but if not now, certainly make the moves to go for it this summer?
still have Krüger and Pirri and possible FA stopgaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Trading for him would be a great move IMO. As far as resigning him, that's a separate decision. I have no problem with Kruger playing wing if need be. What are your thoughts on Kruger as a wing?
Bowman won't waste assets for a guy he does not insist to bring back

Old
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
What about Kruger as a wing who can move to center when injuries hit if we trade for/resign Grabo?

Old
02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Stopgaps aren't ideal. We need producing players. One problem the Hawks have, is that we have a good amount of a team ready to contend now, with some of our key guys getting older (Sharp, Hossa), and while they have several years left in the tank, do they have long enough to wait for kids like McNeil, Pirri, and possibly even Kruger to really be a full-blown and producing NHL player?

That's what Hawks management need to decide. Grabo could make that difference. He could be our #2C for a few years until some of the kids ARE ready to take the reigns, instead of rushing people up.

That is one reason I am certainly willing to entertain the possibility.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Sarava

Quote:
I see Kruger as a #3 center and with Pirri, I just don't care for his all around game. The Hawks may well do what you suggest, but I think it would ultimately be a mistake and might possibly cost this team a cup win over the next couple of years.

I've said before I think Kruger will be a nice NHLer - but I also think he is redundant on the Hawks since we already have Dave Bolland.

Given how well Dave Bolland has played in the playoffs the last 3 years - you have to stick with him longterm.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
EbonyRaptor

Acquire Antoine Vermette and Luke Schenn. Before next season, buy out Olesz and trade or waive Frolik. Give Emery a raise to continue to be Crawford's backup. Resign Mayers and Scott.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Brandon Saad ($0.925m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Viktor Stalberg ($0.875m)
Andrew Shaw ($0.565m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.900m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)
Jamal Mayers ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nick Leddy ($1.116m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Dylan Olsen ($0.870m)
John Scott ($0.512m) / Steve Montador ($2.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.666m) / Ray Emery ($1.200m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,685,962; BONUSES: $730,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $614,038

Old
02-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Acquire Antoine Vermette and Luke Schenn. Before next season, buy out Olesz and trade or waive Frolik. Give Emery a raise to continue to be Crawford's backup. Resign Mayers and Scott.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Brandon Saad ($0.925m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Viktor Stalberg ($0.875m)
Andrew Shaw ($0.565m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.900m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)
Jamal Mayers ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nick Leddy ($1.116m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Dylan Olsen ($0.870m)
John Scott ($0.512m) / Steve Montador ($2.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.666m) / Ray Emery ($1.200m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,685,962; BONUSES: $730,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $614,038
Explain to me why if Emery is back, his cap hit would be twice as much.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I was wondering that as well. Seems like a waste of cap space. Montoya and Auld seem like better options.

Last edited by MurrayBannerman: 02-20-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Looked up wrong Free Agency year
Old
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Just a guess on my part. He probably deserves a raise as he has proven to be an adequate backup. Maybe a $600K raise is too much - I don't know ...

Regardless, Crawford will be the starter and there will be a backup goalie who is probably making $1.2M or less. If the backup makes less than $1.2M - then great, the cap space will be more.

The point is to acquire a solid #2 center and a top-4 d-man. In my opinion, Vermette and Schenn meet that criteria, and they are affordable.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
How do you figure? If Grabo is acquired, then he's the #2C we so desperately need. Bolland is still arguably the best #3C in the NHL. That's expendable....how?
Where is Kruger going to end up? Seems like he's destined for 3rd line center in a few years.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Just to correct the record:

Leddy and Stalberg are signed through next season -2012/13.

Bolland has 2 more years after this season - through 2013/14.

Toews and Kane have 3 more years after this season - through 2014/15.

But your point regarding another long term $5M+ salary is valid. If we knew with certainty that the salary cap would go up every year, then signing Grobovsky or someother big and long contract would be manageable - but there is no guarantee so there's a real possibility that signing Grabo to a 5 year deal might mean not being able to re-sign a Leddy, Stalberg or Bolland.
Leddy is restricted, he isn't going anywhere but really thats irrelevant. You are in win now mode. Remember when they said consequences be damned, lets sign Marion Hossa 2 years ago? When your team is ready to win, you go for it and figure out the cap situation later. If Saad and other prospects are as good as people think, you can let Stalberg go in a year, you can let Bolland in 2 years if he wants too much money. If you sign Grabovski for say, 4 years you are set for 2 years and don't have to worry about the salary situation for at least 2 years and then only Bolland is up.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Where is Kruger going to end up? Seems like he's destined for 3rd line center in a few years.
Agreed, that is most likely, the only question is on which team. My point was, he has a lot of improvement before he can be inserted into the Hawks 3rd line without a performance drop-off. IF he develops into a bit of a scoring threat in the next couple years, then yes, Bolland could be expendable. If his play doesn't improve or stays as-is on the offensive side, then that's a much tougher decision.

Still, as you said, "a few years" is a long time. Anything can happen, and probably will.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Just a guess on my part. He probably deserves a raise as he has proven to be an adequate backup. Maybe a $600K raise is too much - I don't know ...

Regardless, Crawford will be the starter and there will be a backup goalie who is probably making $1.2M or less. If the backup makes less than $1.2M - then great, the cap space will be more.

The point is to acquire a solid #2 center and a top-4 d-man. In my opinion, Vermette and Schenn meet that criteria, and they are affordable.
The backup next year is likely Salak.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
The backup next year is likely Salak.

That would be the best case scenario ... but Salak hasn't exectly distinguished himself in the AHL this year (so far).

Regardless who the backup goalie is - his salary cap hit will be relatively small so, really, for this thread - who cares?

The point I was trying to make that is getting lost in the discussion of backup goalie is that acquiring Vermette and Schenn answer the Hawks two main needs and is workable under the salary cap.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Agreed, that is most likely, the only question is on which team. My point was, he has a lot of improvement before he can be inserted into the Hawks 3rd line without a performance drop-off. IF he develops into a bit of a scoring threat in the next couple years, then yes, Bolland could be expendable. If his play doesn't improve or stays as-is on the offensive side, then that's a much tougher decision.

Still, as you said, "a few years" is a long time. Anything can happen, and probably will.
The Hawks have until the end of Bolland's contract to find out what Kruger is capable of.As of right now it's no contest,but in 2yrs could be a different story.Who knows,maybe neither of them will be around and someone like McNeill or Kayes will have the job.Anything can happen !

Old
02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
That would be the best case scenario ... but Salak hasn't exectly distinguished himself in the AHL this year (so far).

Regardless who the backup goalie is - his salary cap hit will be relatively small so, really, for this thread - who cares?

The point I was trying to make that is getting lost in the discussion of backup goalie is that acquiring Vermette and Schenn answer the Hawks two main needs and is workable under the salary cap.

But at what cost ? Your line-up shows nearly all the present roster and waives Frolik.What was traded for those players? They aren't free and in Schenn's case Burke will want a lot.You think we can get them for picks and prospects only?If so they'd have to be pretty damn good prospects and 1st/2nd rounders.

I can almost guarantee any talks with Burke will involve one or more of Olsen,McNeill,Saad and high picks.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
[/B]

But at what cost ? Your line-up shows nearly all the present roster and waives Frolik.What was traded for those players? They aren't free and in Schenn's case Burke will want a lot.You think we can get them for picks and prospects only?If so they'd have to be pretty damn good prospects and 1st/2nd rounders.

I can almost guarantee any talks with Burke will involve one or more of Olsen,McNeill,Saad and high picks.
you think that too, huh?

Old
02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
[/B]

Of course it will cost something. I didn't attempt to guess at what the cost would be but it's likely that one of more players on my proposed roster would be gone as part of the trade packages - because I don't know what the cost would be.

My point is that those are two players who I would target. If the price is too high, then the trade doesn't get done. If, on the other hand, the price is reasonable, then I believe Vermette and Schenn are two players who would be worth acquiring.

The only two players that I would not make available for a trade package is Saad and Olsen. Anyone else other than the main NHL roster players (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland, Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Hjalmarsson and Crawford) would be available.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Bowman is trying to get good cheap rentals until our young guys are ready, or trade them for someone who is better long term. If you want Grabovski, then no need for Pirri, McNeill or Kruger. One of them would be in a deal for Grabo.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:54 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

6 days and 4 games left. Bowman won't do anything before monday

Old
02-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

nevermind

Last edited by Bubba88: 02-21-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old
02-21-2012, 07:46 AM
PPQB

Quote:

A few years before Kruger is a 3rd liner? He is 8th in scoring amongst our forwards and could likely be 7th if he played as many games as Brunette has. Not to mention his solid defensive ability and positional play. Not bad for a 21 year old. Kruger is a solid top 9 player NOW and could potentially be a solid top 6 player in the very near future.

Closed Thread