HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Ft. Wayne?

Old
02-10-2012, 08:35 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
So Just because over a decade ago a team didnt want to join that means they are forever disallowed?

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:24 AM
arlingtonway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
you're forgetting 2 major points here

Fort Wayne had their opportunity back when our league bought out the IHL, arlington, they chose not to and imho, are still an outlaw franchise, just for that reason, why would the Oilers be duped by Lyle Abraham, see the fiasco involving Toronto's Ricoh Coliseum, the abrupt move of the franchise in August of '04, the year of the lockout in the NHL, After the master schedule was released, mind you, and then the whole issue w/ Prodigal shutting down its successful franchise in the CHL, one of the strongest model franchises in that league.

both articles are misinformed and should be dismissed on merit....
Im not advocating Ft. Wayne to the AHL, or trying to give credence to the article itself. It was on topic with the original post so I thought it should be added to the discussion.

arlingtonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
adsfan

Quote:
you're forgetting 2 major points here

Fort Wayne had their opportunity back when our league bought out the IHL, arlington, they chose not to and imho, are still an outlaw franchise, just for that reason, why would the Oilers be duped by Lyle Abraham, see the fiasco involving Toronto's Ricoh Coliseum, the abrupt move of the franchise in August of '04, the year of the lockout in the NHL, After the master schedule was released, mind you, and then the whole issue w/ Prodigal shutting down its successful franchise in the CHL, one of the strongest model franchises in that league.

both articles are misinformed and should be dismissed on merit....
Ft Wayne left the IHL after the 1999 playoffs. The six IHL teams joined the AHL in 2001, two years later. The Komets chose to step down to the UHL, they didn't snub the AHL.

Outlaw franchise? Maybe. They were accused of tampering with players on at least one other team in the IHL 2.0. They won Turner Cups in 2008, 09 and 10, all three seasons of the IHL 2.0 existence.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Ft Wayne left the IHL after the 1999 playoffs. The six IHL teams joined the AHL in 2001, two years later. The Komets chose to step down to the UHL, they didn't snub the AHL.

Outlaw franchise? Maybe. They were accused of tampering with players on at least one other team in the IHL 2.0. They won Turner Cups in 2008, 09 and 10, all three seasons of the IHL 2.0 existence.
Weren't the rumors of the IHL collapsing as early as 1999, adsfan, you should know better than that, the point still stands, they were invited and said no, and then proceeded to damage both the original history of the IHL and its successor, which is why the league collapsed again and had to be merged into the CHL, as a division, not a separate league.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:40 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Weren't the rumors of the IHL collapsing as early as 1999, adsfan, you should know better than that, the point still stands, they were invited and said no, and then proceeded to damage both the original history of the IHL and its successor, which is why the league collapsed again and had to be merged into the CHL, as a division, not a separate league.
There were no rumors to that in 1999...nice way of trying to ramrod your point thru even though it's been disproven yet again.

Why would the AHL ask Ft. Wayne to join the AHL 2 years before it merged with the IHL??? Especially since Ft Wayne went down about 3 leagues and not up or even parallel??? Why would they invite them in 2001 , when they had dropped about 3 leagues and didn't have any desire to go to the AHL 2 years prior? Do you have proof that Ft. Wayne was ever invited to join the AHL in either 1999 or 2001???

I have a friend who has been a Komets season ticket holder for about 20 years and can tell you that they never were invited nor did they ever want to play in that league back then.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The IHL 2.0 was a joke Hutch. The Komets tampered in more than one place but it kept the league going. All they did was help teams pay the bills. To be fair, the UHL/IHL collapsed because the MidWest was/is in terrible shape. The UHL had a nice model but they killed it wanting to go to the MidWest at the time the **** hit the fan in the economy.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
There were no rumors to that in 1999...nice way of trying to ramrod your point thru even though it's been disproven yet again.

Why would the AHL ask Ft. Wayne to join the AHL 2 years before it merged with the IHL??? Especially since Ft Wayne went down about 3 leagues and not up or even parallel??? Why would they invite them in 2001 , when they had dropped about 3 leagues and didn't have any desire to go to the AHL 2 years prior? Do you have proof that Ft. Wayne was ever invited to join the AHL in either 1999 or 2001???

I have a friend who has been a Komets season ticket holder for about 20 years and can tell you that they never were invited nor did they ever want to play in that league back then.
Quit stealing my posts!!!

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
adsfan

Quote:
The IHL in 1997-98 still had 18 teams. So, no, in 1999 I didn't know the league was going to collapse. Maybe in the end of the 2000 sason or the begining of 2000-01. That last season the IHL still had 13 teams, if I remember correctly. I am just a hockey fan, not an insider. I don't even know any insiders. Jane Pettit didn't hobnob with the fans, she stayed in her luxury box.

The IHL 2.0 was a phony league destined to fail; and it did.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
No team will be in Seatle by next October though, which PHX won't be around next yr I bet.

True about FW but that size of their arena and all makes them special. The AHL would like to have them I bet if they could.

True but wheeling COULD be bought.
I don't think Key Arena could be equipped for hockey temporarily like the Colisee. So I can't see Seattle being in the NHL next year either. However, I am not going to count out another year of the City of Glendale subsidizing the Coyotes' losses until the NHL actually makes an announcement about the future of that team.

I think the AHL would like Fort Wayne. However, I think the Frankes want to be in the league where it would be easier to buy championships. They might not take too kindly to sending their best players to Edmonton all the time.

As for Wheeling, I have no clue what is most likely to happen.

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain esoteric View Post
i don't think key arena could be equipped for hockey temporarily like the colisee. So i can't see seattle being in the nhl next year either. However, i am not going to count out another year of the city of glendale subsidizing the coyotes' losses until the nhl actually makes an announcement about the future of that team.

I think the ahl would like fort wayne. however, i think the frankes want to be in the league where it would be easier to buy championships. they might not take too kindly to sending their best players to edmonton all the time.

As for wheeling, i have no clue what is most likely to happen.
ihl 2.0

Old
02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
ihl 2.0
You mrean 3.0? If they think they could do that in the ECHL, no it can infact be worse as your guys get called up all over instead of just the parent club.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:01 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
bit early to call it a failure. They are barely into their second season there.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:12 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

I am shocked to see Abotsford way down the list and Albany as well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:32 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post

Albany has had horrible attendance for years and Abbotsford is the Flames affiliate in Canucks country.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:01 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post

Why are you shocked to see Albany down there? They were a below average draw before the Devils came to town. Now they are exactly where are exactly where most expected them to be with the Devils in control.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
RFA

The Devils sell more tickets (very few comps) and I'd guess that the actual crowd is very close, if not more. Devils also have much more corporate support (with much larger businesses) and get a piece of the concessions action. I haven't seen any specifics, but the Devils lease was reported in several media outlets to be much more favorable than what the Rats had.

So yes, they are at the bottom of the announced attendance list, but if the CDI/Rats could make it for 20 years selling less and paying more, it doesn't necessarily mean doom for the Devils.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Aren't the Devils facing bankruptcy??? And one wonders why.......

Old
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
RFA

I think it was the Jay Leach signing in Albany. He's been a bust.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:56 PM
adsfan

Quote:
You mrean 3.0? If they think they could do that in the ECHL, no it can infact be worse as your guys get called up all over instead of just the parent club.
No. The IHL 2.0 was all about Ft Wayne buying championships. They won all three and the league had to be merged into the CHL or fold.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
No. The IHL 2.0 was all about Ft Wayne buying championships. They won all three and the league had to be merged into the CHL or fold.
Oh I knew that, thought you might have been lobbying for a 3rd installment.

Old
02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Oh I knew that, thought you might have been lobbying for a 3rd installment.
I would rather die than see the 3.0. The 2.0 was a disgrace to the level of play in the original IHL. What started out as a midwestern bus league was pretty darn good in the 1990s and drew 7000 a game.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:39 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Ahhh Ft. Wayne, I remember seeing the Atlanta Knights play them during the Turner Cup finals the year Atlanta won it.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I would rather die than see the 3.0. The 2.0 was a disgrace to the level of play in the original IHL. What started out as a midwestern bus league was pretty darn good in the 1990s and drew 7000 a game.
That was the Franke's goal. Midwestern bus league, wrong economic times for that. Sametime the economy crumbled. The UHL was nice but they lost all the eastern teams and tried to compensate by tapping into questionable places like Chicago.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
adsfan

Quote:
That was the Franke's goal. Midwestern bus league, wrong economic times for that. Sametime the economy crumbled. The UHL was nice but they lost all the eastern teams and tried to compensate by tapping into questionable places like Chicago.
Now you sound like you are from Milwaukee!

Old
02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Now you sound like you are from Milwaukee!
Well I do love the Packers but the Brewers suck and I couldn't careless about the NBA.