HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks pursuing Steve Ott (McKenzie)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I know he's a distraction because I've watched him play. Why would I be grasping at straws? It's my view of the guy. IMO guys like Ott and Carcillo take it too far and are bad teammates when they do.

This team wants to play whistle to whistle. Would anyone that has watched him play say that describes Otts game?
This is merely your perception of them based on what you project a good or bad teammate to be. I guarantee you that most/every player in Dallas' locker room respects Steve Ott, otherwise he wouldn't be an assistant captain, he wouldn't be trusted with key faceoffs, he wouldn't be trusted in key situations with the team either up or down a goal. Plus I don't think you've seen many interviews with Ott, he really comes off as a smart and classy guy, surprisingly enough.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
IMO he's a lot better than Lapierre. I would say he's more like Chris Higgins, with Torres hitting game, Malhotra's faceoff skills and Lapierre's pest abilities.

Yup, he's averaged around 3.5 hits a game for years. Ott would be the Canucks best bodychecker. He also skates well enough to hit the opposition's top players - something that isn't easy to do.

Ott's 2 best attributes are his physicality and faceoff skills. The exact skillset you're looking for to shelter Hodgson in the faceoff circle and give the team an energy 3rd line.

With playoff Lapierre being twice the player as regular season Lapierre I wouldn't be surprised to see AV go to an Ott, Lapierre, Hansen checking 3rd line. Those 3 would drive Thornton/Toews/Backes or whoever they're up against mental.
Ott is a really consistent hitter, but to be fair, the Dallas statistician is notoriously liberal in giving out hits in their building.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Ott is a really consistent hitter, but to be fair, the Dallas statistician is notoriously liberal in giving out hits in their building.
No question. But he still is 1 or 2 in hits every year for them.

What I like about Ott is that he's one of few guys that are very physical but have the ability and skating to play that role against the opposition's top players. As opposed to having your 4th liners that run around primarily against the opposition's 3rd/4th lines and bottom pairing dmen...

If you swap out our softest player in Raymond and replace him with a guy that would be the team's best bodychecker it really changes the look up front. Not sure there's much point taking out a Bitz/Weise and replacing them with a physical 4th liner.

If Gillis wants Ott and he's available I think there's a good chance he gets him. Like I said, which other contender can afford to move a better roster player than Raymond?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:10 AM
ahmon

Ott hits often, but he doesn't hit with as much power as Torres.

Still like Drop The Sopel said, he brings a lot to the table.

Ott/Lappy/Hansen, really can be that elite checking line.

But then why do we need malhotra (who has played better lately)?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Ott hits often, but he doesn't hit with as much power as Torres.

Still like Drop The Sopel said, he brings a lot to the table.

Ott/Lappy/Hansen, really can be that elite checking line.

But then why do we need malhotra (who has played better lately)?
leadership? Players love him? Key faceoffs?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
No question. But he still is 1 or 2 in hits every year for them.

What I like about Ott is that he's one of few guys that are very physical but have the ability and skating to play that role against the opposition's top players. As opposed to having your 4th liners that run around primarily against the opposition's 3rd/4th lines and bottom pairing dmen...

If you swap out our softest player in Raymond and replace him with a guy that would be the team's best bodychecker it really changes the look up front. Not sure there's much point taking out a Bitz/Weise and replacing them with a physical 4th liner.

If Gillis wants Ott and he's available I think there's a good chance he gets him. Like I said, which other contender can afford to move a better roster player than Raymond?
Personally, I'd be all over it if he were available and willing to come here. He's very underrated and far more versatile than Raymond.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:15 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I would absolutely love to acquire Steve Ott. He would be a huge addition to this team. Move Raymond or hell even Jordan Schroeder I'd move...that's how high I am on this guy. He's signed for a couple more seasons after this, and really is one of those heart and soul type players you need to win.

02-21-2012, 01:16 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
leadership? Players love him? Key faceoffs?
If we put ott/lappy/hansen together, that leaves manny playing with cody. Not a great fit.

Players didn't like sammy?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
If we put ott/lappy/hansen together, that leaves manny playing with cody. Not a great fit.

Players didn't like sammy?
Id rather have

Ott - Hodgson - Hansen
Manny - Lappy - Bitz

Old
02-21-2012, 01:19 AM
keslerburrows

I totally just had an imaginary scenario run through my brain. Ott in a Canucks jersey, vs. ..... Dave Bolland.

I'm in.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:25 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Id rather have

Ott - Hodgson - Hansen
Manny - Lappy - Bitz

Well obviously if you read my post, it was assumed that a line of ott/lappy/hansen was formed.

yah, ott on the 3rd line is decent too.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:34 AM
petrishriekandgo

As mentioned in another post I doubt there is any way that a Dallas / Vancouver trade goes down any-time in the near future with the ownership situation between the two teams. Dallas' owner loathes the Aquilini brothers and if Nieuwendyk made a deal and the Canucks benefited from it in a significant way you'd have to think old Joey's job would be under review.

The only way it would work is if the Canucks overpay for a Dallas asset and Gillis isn't giving anyone away.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
This is merely your perception of them based on what you project a good or bad teammate to be.
Yes, that's why I said imo

You seem to watch them a lot, would you say he plays between the whistles?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Old
02-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
As mentioned in another post I doubt there is any way that a Dallas / Vancouver trade goes down any-time in the near future with the ownership situation between the two teams. Dallas' owner loathes the Aquilini brothers and if Nieuwendyk made a deal and the Canucks benefited from it in a significant way you'd have to think old Joey's job would be under review.

The only way it would work is if the Canucks overpay for a Dallas asset and Gillis isn't giving anyone away.
The whole Aquilini/Gagliardi thing is such a non-factor IMO. Owners usually leave deals to the GM to make. He's not going to interfere with his GM trying to make his team better because he's got a grudge.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Yes, that's why I said imo and I think.

For the most part he does, but he chirps up a storm and it's usually the stuff he does between the whistles that pisses off his opponents more than what he does after the whistle. Personally I think he's a better version of Lappy. He agitates, he fights and he can play the game well. He'll need to clean up certain aspects of his game if he came here but he's by no means some sort of loose cannon that can't be coached.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:53 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Would be sweet if we could somehow land both Ott and Downie.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Ott-Lapierre-Downie
Malhotra-Hodgson-Hansen

Old
02-21-2012, 01:54 AM
SpaceCowboy

Quote:
The dude narrating that is horrible and very hokey.

However, this trade is one of the only ones I've heard this trade season regarding rumours that I actually hope works.

If it involves Mason Raymond +3rd or 2nd.

If we could somehow make it Ballard with Ott and a D man returning that'd be nice too.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:57 AM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Yes, that's why I said imo

And did Lapierre, before we picked him up? Or what about Kesler and Burrows before AV told them to smarten up?

I think a lot of the view outisde fanbases get of other teams locker room is pretty much entirely speculation.

We, as Canucks fans have a limited grasp of our own teams dressing room. I'd hardly feel confident making such judgements about other teams dressing rooms.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Other than the commentators annoying way of talking, love it!

Oh please, MG, get him over here.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
Other than the commentators annoying way of talking, love it!

Oh please, MG, get him over here.
"boom"

Old
02-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
And did Lapierre, before we picked him up? Or what about Kesler and Burrows before AV told them to smarten up?

I think a lot of the view outisde fanbases get of other teams locker room is pretty much entirely speculation.

We, as Canucks fans have a limited grasp of our own teams dressing room. I'd hardly feel confident making such judgements about other teams dressing rooms.
I live in Dallas and the guy is a fan favorite, I see more Ott t-shirts and jerseys than any other player. Plus in all his post game interviews on the ice he's always very respectful of the fans who do come out to their games because there aren't many lately. He really seems like a genuinely nice guy off the ice.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:08 AM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Quote:
How could you not want him after this vid. We'd have a troll on every line.

Last edited by NucksOnly: 02-21-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: omitted a word
Old
02-21-2012, 02:08 AM
orcasEATsharks

Ott would fit in great on the 3rd/4th lines. That said, there are a number of reasons why we shouldn't go after him. First, our top priority should clearly be adding a top 4, or at least another depth, D-man. Second, Ott's contract is too much to chew on. Lastly, Dallas might want something valuable because, after all, they want good return. I just don't see it happening.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:10 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcasEATsharks View Post
Ott would fit in great on the 3rd/4th lines. That said, there are a number of reasons why we shouldn't go after him. First, our top priority should clearly be adding a top 4, or at least another depth, D-man. Second, Ott's contract is too much to chew on. Lastly, Dallas might want something valuable because, after all, they want good return. I just don't see it happening.
Just because we should be looking to add a top 4 defenseman doesn't mean this deal shouldn't happen also. Not to mention the fact that there might be only one top 4 defenseman moved at the deadline (if that) and that would likely be in a much larger deal than we'd be willing to do. Ott's contract at $2.95M isn't hard to chew on, especially given what he brings. Dallas will want something of value, which is why I think Raymond + 2nd round pick for Ott would be a good deal for both teams.

Closed Thread