HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs change their coaching philosophy

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Avs change their coaching philosophy

Looks like Granato and the boys have abandoned their wide open offensive style that they tried at the begining of the year, which got hockey fans hoping it might influence other teams follow in their footsteps if it proved successful. Although this might be a little disapointing in terms of the trap prevailing once again, it probably will be better in the long run for the team, in terms of their chances at winning the cup this year.

"We've learned a lot about our team in the last couple of weeks, and when we want to turn the game into shootouts, we make mistakes," Granato said.

"When we stay within our game plan and with what we're trying to do, we get plenty of chances to score," Granato said. "And it cuts down on a lot of what (the opposition) is trying to do."

Interesting that this happened since Granato seemed so gung ho about opening it up and letting his star players play. The Avs had some poor games at the begining of the year, and Footer came foward and started preaching simple hockey, and it almost seemed like there was a disagrement on how the team should play between Foote and Granato, but it looks as though the Avs will once again play the same style that almost the whole league plays now. They sure have been the last few games, and it seems to have helped.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...760328,00.html

Old
11-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Titanium

If it gives us a better chance of overhauling Vancouver in the Northwest and winning the Stanley Cup...I'm all for it! At least Granato's finding what works best now, rather than later or never!

Cheers,
Titanium

Old
11-12-2003, 03:28 AM
Foppa_Rules

I agree that this needs to happen, but I'm not so sure it WILL. We have 2 players who came here for the wide-open style of play. Anyway, it looks as though the Avs' great offensive expiriment didn't work. ......Just as long as we don't turn into a trapping team.

Old
11-12-2003, 03:49 AM
devilman

It's sad the open-style doesn't wore anymore these days. But unless the NHL does not change their rules, teams will play more and more defense, until we have 82 games 0-0 in a season and 10 hours playoff games.

Maybe the plan might be defense first for now to remain winning games and not loosing ground to other teams. Once the season develops and players finding each other, they can open up again a bit. This team HAS the potential for shooting out opponents, and it would be a evidence of incapacity for the whole league in order of the rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if more players as the likes of Foppa will return to European Leagues, I can't imagine it's fun for players to play in the NHL anymore. I believe in long-term that this boring defense-first strategy will kill the NHL. I'm not hailing 10-0 shootouts, but it's much more fun to see 6-4 games than 1-0 games.

Closed Thread