HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 02:36 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Hoping for the lottery pick and top five is good deep 1st round and deeper top ten.I would be happy with Grigo,Galchenyuk or Forsberg in the 1st,Nieves and Digiuseppe with the 2nd's and hope for Subban with our 3rd,unless AK brings another late 1st in which I'd get Hertl.It's beginning to look like Christmas is coming in June this year.If Subban can't be had with our 3rd get Matej Beran.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:14 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
I must say kudos to PG for stockpiling picks. Two 2nds this year, and two 2nds next year! And it's not over yet...
This is really gonna give some breathing room to Timmins. It's a numbers game, more picks = more chances. Can't wait for the draft!
Getting draft picks for UFAs we can't use is a great idea but let's not get all ecstatic. These picks won't affect our team for another 4-5 years. Even our own first rounder may be a lottery pick but at best he'll play for the Habs in a year or two. The most optimistic draft commentator admits Nail is the only player ready to step into the NHL next year.

Old
02-21-2012, 07:15 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Hoping for the lottery pick and top five is good deep 1st round and deeper top ten.I would be happy with Grigo,Galchenyuk or Forsberg in the 1st,Nieves and Digiuseppe with the 2nd's and hope for Subban with our 3rd,unless AK brings another late 1st in which I'd get Hertl.It's beginning to look like Christmas is coming in June this year.If Subban can't be had with our 3rd get Matej Beran.
Subban is going first round. Possibly even top ten. Just about everyone projected to go first round last year has had a terrible year while Subban has improved immensely.

I'd still like Daniil Zharkov with one of our late round picks though.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Subban is going first round. Possibly even top ten. Just about everyone projected to go first round last year has had a terrible year while Subban has improved immensely.

I'd still like Daniil Zharkov with one of our late round picks though.
Red Line has Subban at #90.

Zharkov will be a late 2nd rounder.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Getting draft picks for UFAs we can't use is a great idea but let's not get all ecstatic. These picks won't affect our team for another 4-5 years. Even our own first rounder may be a lottery pick but at best he'll play for the Habs in a year or two. The most optimistic draft commentator admits Nail is the only player ready to step into the NHL next year.
Well, the way Habs are playing, I don't mind this at all! It's fun just to see prospects developing too.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:45 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Acquire another 2nd round pick for Moen.

Use two 2nd round picks to trade up into the late first round.

Get Galchenyuk with our first pick. Aberg or Collberg with our second 1st rounder.

We'd have some offensive studs on the horizon.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Get Galchenyuk with our first pick. Aberg or Collberg with our second 1st rounder.

IMO, three 2nds is better than a late first and a late 2nd.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The makeup in this darft is such that after 8-10 there is a dropoff and the next 30-40 players are pretty close. We are probably better off with #35 + #50 than with just #20 or 25.

Guys like Matheson Whitney Nieves Matteau Zharkov are probable 2nd rounders and not far off Collberg Finn Ceci who are in the 10-15 range.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Red Line has Subban at #90.

Zharkov will be a late 2nd rounder.
then you use a second pick on him!

like voltron, the trolling trio must be assembled!

Old
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
then you use a second pick on him!

like voltron, the trolling trio must be assembled!
Whitney would be my 1st choice if we use a 2nd on a goalie.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
IMO, three 2nds is better than a late first and a late 2nd.
Normally I'd agree with you. But not in this draft. I'd rather secure two pure offensive talents than secure one and have 3 guys you hope to be 3rd liners.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with you. But not in this draft. I'd rather secure two pure offensive talents than secure one and have 3 guys you hope to be 3rd liners.
Must have Nieves.

Would you rather have Collberg or Gusev?

Old
Protest the Hero

Getting one of Collberg and Aberg would be fantastic along with our top 3(hopefully) offensive talent, but I think those guys are slated in the 10-20 range.

Old
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
2007 was a weak draft and look what we ended up with. May as well take a chance on our scouting department. It's not like second rounders never become pure offensive talents.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
WeThreeKings

Let me mancrush on Aberg damnit!

Old
02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Mr Rogers

I hope we somehow get a chance to land a late first rounder either by trade or by moving up while maintaining at least one of our 2nd round picks.
And with that late first I would definitely go for Hertl because I don't see teams letting him slip to the 2nd round imo (Detroit kind of pick)

Galchenyuk (3-5)
Hertl (23-28)
Nieves(mid to late 2nd round) I'm just not sure Wilson has enough offensive upside to become a top 6 powerforward like some think he'll be.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:39 AM
vad87

I hope we finish low enough to be able to draft a guy like Galchenyuk or Forsberg but if we have to pick around 7-8, even if we have a lot of good d-men prospects, Cody Ceci is the guy I want. A big d-man with that kind of offensive numbers is kinda impressive. Saw a couple of videos and he seems to play the same kind of game that D. Hamilton. Like I said about goaltenders, you never have too much of quality d-men. The gapse is huge after Galchenyuk/Forsberg and there's a lot of quality blueliners. Prefer to pick a potential top 2 d-man that a big center who's a sure bet to be at least a 3rd liner ( kind of polite way to doubt about offensive potential)

Yakupov
Grigorenko

Galchenyuk
Forbserg

Gaunce
Faksa
Girgensons

Old
02-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

The hell with it..we should aim for:

Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:05 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

Yakupov and Galchenyuk.
Yeah really, if you're going to have a bad season like this one at least do it right. If we draft outside of the lottery I'm going to FLIP. It's the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Like that guy said, there is a drop off in the forward depth outside of the top 4 (Yaks, Grigs, Forsberg, Galch) and I don't want an other defenseman no matter how well they are projected. Get that big center.. either it be Grig or Galchenyuk no matter, just get it done, if not Forsberg will be a nice consolation prize.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
S Bah

If the Habs have a lottery pick and don'e get one of Yakupov,Grigorenko,Galchenyuk or Forsberg then they have a choice out of the defencemen in a draft known to be a deep draft with defencemen.Having that choice Gauthier and Timmins may be disappointed about the forwards but ecstatic about their new defenceman.The thought of having to choose anyone out of that group is a great consolation prize,Matt Dumba,Ryan Murray, Griffin Rinehart,Jacob Trouba,Matt Finn and that's just the ones that have gone healthy through this season.Then the Habs can still draft Centers with their 2nd round choices and there will be some with high end offensive talent that may need work on their defence or physical deficiencies like Andreas Athanasiou.Any way you slice it,this draft should make up for our poor season in good/great prospects for the future if the Habs are a lottery team.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Beakermania*

With our second rounders, Nieves intrigues me on everything I've read especially here from whitesnake as well as what I've googled on him. I think getting a galchenyuk or grigorenko is key, but you can't go wrong taking three or four centers in this draft along with them. Could be like 07 where we got a bunch of good D prospects.

Advantage of centres is that if they work out and there is too many of them, we can always move some to wing.

Right now we have 4 picks in the first three rounds, and we could end up with more. Gotta hope for 2-3 forwards and 1 goalie with those 4 picks. If we get more picks sprinkle in a Dman and Wingers.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Why do people think we need to waste an early pick on a goalie?????????

We will have Price for the next decade and backup goaltenders are a dime a dozen. I don't give a crap about what our HF rating is and how a goaltender would help balance our prospect portfolio.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

We will have Price for the next decade and backup goaltenders are a dime a dozen. I don't give a crap about what our HF rating is and how a goaltender would help balance our prospect portfolio.
Remember what our goalies looked like when Price was picked?

Also we should have someone coming along incase Price is injured or flames out or something ala a Dipietro or Theodore.

It shouldn't be top priority but if we have 6 picks as I suspect we might in the first three rounds (kostitsyn, moen, campoli, weber, on block) we can use one on a goalie.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

I don't think it's prudent to put all your eggs in one basket. What if Price wants out at some point? What if his game declines? What if he gets hurt and has to retire? It's never a bad idea to hvae young goalies in the system. It's also good for asset mangement, I'm sure Bernier and Schneider have very good trade value if those teams need a chip to acquire an asset elswhere.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

Yakupov and Galchenyuk.
The only way we get Yakupov at this point is by winning the lottery. CBJ isn't going to make up a 17 point deficit in a 1/4 of a season...hell, they probably won't even get 17 points during that time.

Not sure how we are supposed to acquire another top 5-8 pick to also get Galchenyuk without robbing Peter to pay Paul (P.K., Pacioretty, Price, etc..noticed how I used P's?).

Closed Thread