HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do these trades signal a huge offseason for the Flyers?

Old
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
I think all those pegging Suter at anything below 7.0 per is being unrealistic. I can MAYBE see him taking between 6.5-7.0 on a long term deal with a perrenial contender, but 6.0 and 6.2 per? What have you guys been smoking?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I think all those pegging Suter at anything below 7.0 per is being unrealistic. I can MAYBE see him taking between 6.5-7.0 on a long term deal with a perrenial contender, but 6.0 and 6.2 per? What have you guys been smoking?
he isnt worth anything more than $6.5m

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Gah, I can't find a post I made a few weeks back, but I'd be shocked if he got over 7. Just look at the trend in recent years, it is YEARS not dollars. I evaluated all of the players over 7 million and only 4 have happened in the past few years.

I'll have to keep digging for that post at some point.

I honestly expect something like 6.25 for 7 years.

I wouldn't even be shocked if he comes in under 6 million for some stupid amount of years.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:06 AM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he isnt worth anything more than $6.5m
Maybe not to you, but the market will say otherwise...it's been doing that for everyone the last however many years or so. If you want him here that's the minimum price it's going to take.

In G We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
Maybe not to you, but the market will say otherwise...it's been doing that for everyone the last however many years or so. If you want him here that's the minimum price it's going to take.
No it hasn't. It's HARD to get 7 million or more nowadays. The players get years, not dollars.

Found my post:

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone seriously thinks he will get $7 million. Have you been paying attention to the trend in the NHL the past few years? Players are getting TERM, not dollars. GMs have decided that in order to reduce cap hit, they will give these players all the years their heart desires.

Players over $7 million:
-Oveckhin - 13 years in 08
-Malkin - 5 years in 08
-Crosby - 5 years in 07
-Staal - 7 years in 08
-Nash - 8 years in 09
-Lecavalier - 11 years in 08
-Heatley - 6 years in 07
-Gaborik - 5 years in 09
-Stamkos - 5 years in 11
-Weber - 1 year in 11
-Gomez - 7 years in 07
-Campbell - 8 years in 08
-Vanek - 7 years in 07
-Spezza - 7 years in 07
-Iginla - 5 years in 07
-Thornton - 3 years in 10
-Doughty - 8 years in 11

So only 4 deals (Stamkos, Weber, Thornton, and Doughty) have been signed in the past 2 years that exceed an AAV of 7 million; and all 4 of them were re-signings. Is Suter in the same class as those guys? The Kings may even wish they could undo the Doughty deal.

Brad Richards was the #1 UFA last year, and came out under 7 with the NYR who overpay everybody.

I'd expect Suter to get 7 years or more at somewhere between 6 and 7 (closer to 6 imo). It wouldn't even shock me if his number comes in just below 6 while getting BIG years.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote