HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is Mike Comrie the next Alexi Yashin?

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 05:55 PM
AVE MAN

vCash: 500
Is Mike Comrie the next Alexi Yashin?

Similar situations with similar players. Both are overated, crying, whining babies. I think Kevin is using that Yashin deal for Spezza and Chara as a bench mark for what he is looking in return for Comrie. Thats why we shouldn't expect anything to get done till at least the trade dealine. Then, teams like Atlanta may part with a Coburn in exchange for post season success. A chance to make that extra revenue is extremely improtant before 2004 and the return offers should look a lot better than they do now. If it doesn't happen at the deadline then don't be suprised if we see Comrie in an Oiler uniform again, like Yashin was forced to do when he missed the full year.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Walsher

Mike Comrie will never be the next Alexei Yashin. He not talented enough nor does he have the respect of players in the league like Yashin. He may sit a year but he is Mike Comrie and not Yashin no matter how average Yashin has been lately.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:12 PM
outKast*

Mike Comrie and Alexei Yashin are both crying, whining babies , and there is no way in hell that any GM's in this league would believe Lowe if he said that Mike would be the next Yashin. Mike is not that talented, and simply never will be. Mike gets his points playing on the first line with good players and simply placing himself in the right place, at the right time. Mike might be a good second liner for a contending team, but he's not good enough to carry teams like Minnesota, Columbus and Atlanta. Those organizations would not trade their future for a guy like him.

In conclusion, Mike Comrie is a marginally talented hockey player that was blessed to play on the first line on a team that badly needed a center to replace Doug Weight. After 2 complete seasons, he is in no position to push around an organization's staff just to get what he wants. I don't get why he's so upset. 95% of the people are pretty much telling him to shut his trap and just play hockey and that he is way out of line holding out like this. Why can't this guy take criticism? If you're reading Mike, you heard it from me...YOU SUCK %$%@, Iíll take you seriously when you learn to find your own zone. This guy is a joke, any return for him would make me happy.

<sup>Disclaimer: I know some of you don't share my opinion (and will be offended by my comments) and that's ok. I hate Mike Comrie with a passion now, and i will go out and celebrate will a big parade on Jasper Ave. like we won a Stanley Cup when he gets his butt booted out of this great city Edmonton. </sup>

Old
11-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
Mike is not that talented, and simply never will be. Mike gets his points playing on the first line with good players and simply placing himself in the right place, at the right time. Mike might be a good second liner for a contending team, but he's not good enough to carry teams like Minnesota, Columbus and Atlanta. Those organizations would not trade their future for a guy like him.

In conclusion, Mike Comrie is a marginally talented hockey player that was blessed to play on the first line on a team that badly needed a center to replace Doug Weight. After 2 complete seasons, he is in no position to push around an organization's staff just to get what he wants. I don't get why he's so upset. 95% of the people are pretty much telling him to shut his trap and just play hockey and that he is way out of line holding out like this. Why can't this guy take criticism? If you're reading Mike, you heard it from me...YOU SUCK %$%@, Iíll take you seriously when you learn to find your own zone. This guy is a joke, any return for him would make me happy.

<sup>Disclaimer: I know some of you don't share my opinion (and will be offended by my comments) and that's ok. I hate Mike Comrie with a passion now, and i will go out and celebrate will a big parade on Jasper Ave. like we won a Stanley Cup when he gets his butt booted out of this great city Edmonton. </sup>
Hate is a very strong word.

I disagree strongly with Comrie's actions but I will give him his due. This kid has scored 30 goals before his 23rd birthday. He stepped in to play and contribute on the Oil firstline and contributed despite his youth and inexperience. Hardly a marginally talented hockey player.

Hate imo is a strong word better used in sentences such as 'Man, do I hate cauliflower.'.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
SoundsGood

October 27th, 03

On Mike.

For those of you who missed it.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031027/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Old
11-11-2003, 06:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
To compare Comrie to Yashin is SOOOOOO far off that it hurts. Yashin was a Hart finalist. He is a guy who can carry a team by himself (although the combination of so-so play and lack of respectable first line wingers has led to a decline in numbers). I mean if you go back to the time of the trade, the Sens didn't appear to **** the Isles like it appears now. Yashins numbers have declined due to reasons mentioned above, and Chara has exceded expectations tenfold!!! I mean he was thought to be a tough grinding third pairing Dman when they traded for him! But anyways - We will get nothing like what Yashin go, and rightly so, as they are in completely different leagues.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Hemmer

I can think of one similarity - the only Cup either of them will ever get will be one of those plastic ones that come in a case of beer.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:40 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Hate is a very strong word.

I disagree strongly with Comrie's actions but I will give him his due. This kid has scored 30 goals before his 23rd birthday. He stepped in to play and contribute on the Oil firstline and contributed despite his youth and inexperience. Hardly a marginally talented hockey player.

Hate imo is a strong word better used in sentences such as 'Man, do I hate cauliflower.'.
HATE is a strong word that i strongly feel for Michael Comrie. You have no idea how much i do. So many admiring fans pay for expensive tickets that they work hard for to watch hockey players who make a living playing what they love. Fans like me spend 8 hours working for the boss, saving up for a chance to watch hard-working young players who want to win for the organization and mostly the fans. Mike Comrie is playing for money and that doesnt go so well with a small market team. The Oilers took Mike to where he is now. The Oilers were the catalysts for all his achievements. Mike would have <b>NEVER</b> scored 30 goals if he never played on a first line with Ryan Smyth and Anson Carter. Ummmm.....I think I picked the right word when i said HATE.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
HATE is a strong word that i strongly feel for Michael Comrie. You have no idea how much i do. So many admiring fans pay for expensive tickets that they work hard for to watch hockey players who make a living playing what they love. Fans like me spend 8 hours working for the boss, saving up for a chance to watch hard-working young players who want to win for the organization and mostly the fans. Mike Comrie is playing for money and that doesnt go so well with a small market team. The Oilers took Mike to where he is now. The Oilers were the catalysts for all his achievements. Mike would have <b>NEVER</b> scored 30 goals if he never played on a first line with Ryan Smyth and Anson Carter. Ummmm.....I think I picked the right word when i said HATE.

Although, I'm sure you're very much entitled to your opinion of "HATING" comrie. I think your pent up angst and frustration should be better chanelled onto things that are perhaps more important to be deserving of such strong emotions. Do we all work hard at our jobs? Yes. Do the jobs that we do, require a special skillset that is near irreplacable or unique to only a handful of elite individuals? No. The truth of the matter is that regardless of how talented we are at xeroxing stuff, inputing numbers into a computer, or just plain old getting coffee for the boss, the jobs that we do can be completed to the same efficiency by millions of other individuals. You cannot use this same benchmark for NHL players who, albeit unfair in this world of ours, are blessed (yes, gifted!) by God with a rare talent to slap a rubber disk around with a wooden stick while skating on ice. If a player feels that he is not getting enough money for his talent, that is his perrogative to pursue it and it is up to management to decide whether or not he is worth a raise (in this case we are shown that he is not worth it). I really don't think that fans should make it a personal issue as everybody, and I MEAN everybody wants more money in this world. I think the misunderstanding here is that most Oiler fans feel they are entitled by birthright to a team with players that play 110% every night on a lower salary, because they (the fans) paid for their tickets with <b> hard earned money </b>. I think its a privellege <b>not a right</b> that we get to watch NHL hockey in a substantially smaller-market-town when other teams such as Winnepeg and Quebec have been shipped out. Just my opinion..

Old
11-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Mizral

At the risk of causing a big stink,

Around when the playoffs started, I posted about how I felt that Mike Comrie was terribly overrated, and I never really cared for him. Down came a deludge of Oiler fans saying he wasn't overrated, he was one of the better young talents in the league, and he was destined for greatness.

How has his on-ice play changed at all from then? It seems now the general concensus was that Comrie wasn't all that good?

Old
11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Around when the playoffs started, I posted about how I felt that Mike Comrie was terribly overrated, and I never really cared for him. Down came a deludge of Oiler fans saying he wasn't overrated, he was one of the better young talents in the league, and he was destined for greatness.

How has his on-ice play changed at all from then? It seems now the general concensus was that Comrie wasn't all that good?
Bias has a funny way of changing oppinios. People loved Comrie when he was the local hero - now that he wants out hes the whipping boy. Lots of bandwagon jumpers here in Edmonton Mizral and too few people willing to stand up and make a statement like you did. When a guy is successful he can't do wrong even when he plays aweful. When a guy turns a bit he is a whiner, quitter, selfish, etc. Many of those are indeed traits of this problem but how easily people are changed.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Bias has a funny way of changing oppinios. People loved Comrie when he was the local hero - now that he wants out hes the whipping boy. Lots of bandwagon jumpers here in Edmonton Mizral and too few people willing to stand up and make a statement like you did. When a guy is successful he can't do wrong even when he plays aweful. When a guy turns a bit he is a whiner, quitter, selfish, etc. Many of those are indeed traits of this problem but how easily people are changed.
I think perhaps people on this board are afraid of being critical. While I know there are a few people on this board who still assume I am not an Oilers fan and are simply trolling for bait, I do actually follow the Oilers as close as I can and perhaps it's because they aren't my #1 favorite team it gives me some level of objectivity, but allow me to keep being a fan. And perhaps that's why I was one of the few who didn't like Comrie at all last year.

However, I wasn't alone. There were others here and on the 'other' Oilers board who also said they didn't like Comrie and felt he was overrated on the ice. Can't think of any names in particular, but they were definetly around.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Walsher

There are way to many people that think everything is perfect on the great ship Oilers and that the players could never do wrong. I like to be and hear people be the devils advocate if nothing else to get people looking more objectively at the truth. I am extremely biased as an Oilers fan but it is refreshing to hear the opposite side of a story from a secondor third party. The people that annoy me on these boards aren't the people that are critical it is the people that rip the people being critical if you know what I mean.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't like him - and have never been a big fan of his as I am like Lowe in wanting more proto-typical powerforwards before smaller players. How ever much I never loved him, and how ever much I have started to hate him, I still acknowledge that he is a great talent and has ALOT of skill and potential. I think Oiler fans just like to support the team and support the team in any situation. But deep down all the Oiler fans know how good he is. Evidence of this is when people make trade proposals - we always talk how we don't want to trade him to a conference rival so he can't bight us in the ass - and that shows that the respect for his ability is still there - if not for his actions.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Every board on this site, ours included, is biased towards it's own players.

Now that Comrie is no longer an Oiler, most posters don't have such high hopes for him.

You are biased towards certain 'Nucks.

You're just stating the obvious.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:21 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Some things I would like to point out...

Comrie can never carry a team...

I don't know. I remember a certain player almost single handedly getting us into the playoffs when our heart and soul (Smyth) and our resident goalscorer (Carter) were either hurt, or MIA. You can't take away what Comrie did that season, no matter how much you try. So to say he can't carry a team is to take away everything he did that year which is just plaing wrong.

Comrie gets his points because of good linemates and good positioning...

Don't hurt yourself there... that is how a lot of players get their points. You don't score 53 goals over 2 seasons by luck.

As much as some of you hate to admit it, Comrie did more than you all expected out of him (me included). When he first signed, I guarantee if I had told you that Comrie would have managed 53 goals and 58 assists in his 2nd and 3rd year, you would have all been completely ecstatic (as would I have).

I find it really hard to beleive that a lot of you are adults. It really scares me. Some of you are threatening to never buy from the Brick again, or put up posters at the Brick... come on, grow up. This has nothing to do with his dad, so leave the family out of it. My god, next you are going to start harassing his mom at the local grocery store.

Mike Comrie is doing what he feels is best for him... just like any of you all would, and just like I do. He isn't under contract and not playing, wanting more money (like Yashin). He isn't spitting in the faces of the fans by not honouring a contract. He is a free agent. And as a free agent, he has rights, one of them is to not sign a contract that he doesn't want. Some people cannot handle being the local hero, they don't want all the attention all the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just like not everyone can handle a big promotion with more responsibilities... it's life, and somethings affect some people more or differently than others.

Deal with it, and grow up... this is absolutely insane. At this time last year, Comrie was a hero, and he was going to lead the Oilers, and was going to have an 80 point season... now all of a sudden he is a no-talent hack? Nope, sorry... it doesn't work like that.

Closed Thread