HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Any chance that Valiquette will start or play on thursday??

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 06:56 PM
mrush

vCash: 500
Any chance that Valiquette will start or play on thursday??

I really want to see him play at least one game before Salo comes back to see if he is a good goalie. I looked him up on nhl.com and his stats were impressive for 6 games so far.
GAA 1.87 and 2 wins and 0 loses and 0 ties.

NHL.com says

"Valiquette made 38 saves against the Thrashers in his first NHL start on March 16, 2000, then stopped 45 shots on April 6 in a 2-1 win over the Senators. Had 1.87 GAA in six Islanders? games. Spent time with four professional teams in 1999-00: the Islanders, Lowell and Providence of the AHL and Trenton of the ECHL."

I saw him play in preseason against vancouver but he didnt even face a difficult shot. Is there any chance that Mac T starts him on thursday?? Conklin is good but hes the regular backup, so he'll get his games this season but Valiquette won't unless Salo is sidelined for awhile and everyone is complaining about Salo's play of late.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:03 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
I really want to see him play at least one game before Salo comes back to see if he is a good goalie. I looked him up on nhl.com and his stats were impressive for 6 games so far.
GAA 1.87 and 2 wins and 0 loses and 0 ties.

NHL.com says

"Valiquette made 38 saves against the Thrashers in his first NHL start on March 16, 2000, then stopped 45 shots on April 6 in a 2-1 win over the Senators. Had 1.87 GAA in six Islanders? games. Spent time with four professional teams in 1999-00: the Islanders, Lowell and Providence of the AHL and Trenton of the ECHL."

I saw him play in preseason against vancouver but he didnt even face a difficult shot. Is there any chance that Mac T starts him on thursday?? Conklin is good but hes the regular backup, so he'll get his games this season but Valiquette won't unless Salo is sidelined for awhile and everyone is complaining about Salo's play of late.
What's up with this trend tonight?

You gotta go with Conks.

Putting Big Valley in there now says. "we dont have any faith in you Conks, look forward to a trip to the Roadrunners before Christmas." "You are blowing your big chance."

Although the numbers look bad, I don't feel Conks played himself outta the "current" starter role.

And how dumb would MacT look if he put Valiquette in and he got shelled?

This place would get torched.

Show some patience folks.

I can wait a bit to see Valiquette.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Walsher

Gotta go with Conks. He has earned games and has a day off between starts. To me he has the job.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:11 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
What's up with this trend tonight?

You gotta go with Conks.

Putting Big Valley in there now says. "we dont have any faith in you Conks, look forward to a trip to the Roadrunners before Christmas." "You are blowing your big chance."

Although the numbers look bad, I don't feel Conks played himself outta the "current" starter role.

And how dumb would MacT look if he put Valiquette in and he got shelled?

This place would get torched.

Show some patience folks.

I can wait a bit to see Valiquette.
Umm how does putting big valley show no faith in conks? mac t put him in back to back. left him in there after 4-1, when its like 3-0 or something he pulls salo for conks. conks hasn't played himself out of the current starter role. hes amazing i love conks. hes a great goalie. i just want to have valiquette play one game before he goes back to toronto when salo comes back so the organization can see how he plays. Conklin has 9 career game sunder his belt. Valiquette has 6 games under his belt. Valiquette wouldn't play bad imo, his stats show he has played very good.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Gotta go with Conks. He has earned games and has a day off between starts. To me he has the job.
what do you mean he has the job? meaning back up duty to Salo? If so, of course i know that, if you read my post i just want valiquette to get one game before he goes back to ahl because he leaves his ahl team where he gets to play which is valuable i believe and doesnt even get to face one nhl game. if mac t had no intent of playing valiquette he should have just dressed chimera in goalie pads (as an example) if valiquette wouldnt even get a look. dont get me wrong conks is good, (better than salo right now) i jsut want to see valiquette face some rubber.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:17 PM
Walsher

Quote:
what do you mean he has the job? meaning back up duty to Salo? If so, of course i know that, if you read my post i just want valiquette to get one game before he goes back to ahl because he leaves his ahl team where he gets to play which is valuable i believe and doesnt even get to face one nhl game. if mac t had no intent of playing valiquette he should have just dressed chimera in goalie pads (as an example) if valiquette wouldnt even get a look. dont get me wrong conks is good, (better than salo right now) i jsut want to see valiquette face some rubber.
Right - and when the backup gets the opportunity to play he deserves the games. He is #2 and he is ready to play. All I am saying is that unless he doesn't want the action he should get the not. No slight to Valiquette just the reality of the situation and the importance of the game thursday.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:21 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Right - and when the backup gets the opportunity to play he deserves the games. He is #2 and he is ready to play. All I am saying is that unless he doesn't want the action he should get the not. No slight to Valiquette just the reality of the situation and the importance of the game thursday.
Well yah i know conks should play, but if salo is out for two weeks with some groin problem? (btw does anyone know how severe the injury is?) i hope mac t plays valiqutte once and gives conks a break. I think conks was getting fatigue in the 2nd but made good stops in the 3rd. The 4th goal even though smith and staios where in the way i think he could have stopped it, from the angle i saw his pads werent in the right place where they should have?? no idea angles were bad.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:23 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Umm how does putting big valley show no faith in conks? mac t put him in back to back. left him in there after 4-1, when its like 3-0 or something he pulls salo for conks. conks hasn't played himself out of the current starter role. hes amazing i love conks. hes a great goalie. i just want to have valiquette play one game before he goes back to toronto when salo comes back so the organization can see how he plays. Conklin has 9 career game sunder his belt. Valiquette has 6 games under his belt. Valiquette wouldn't play bad imo, his stats show he has played very good.
If Salo is gone longer than expected, and Conks puts a couple stinkers together, then I have no problem seeing Valiquette go in.

But for the sake of getting a look at him? This aint pre-season.

I trust the popular opinion around here that Conklin is #2 on the goaltending depth chart of this team not #3.

Will that opinion change?

I would like to at least give it a chance to change.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Walsher

True - I wouldn't mind watching Valiquette play. I saw him in warm up in Edmonton earlier this year when conks was injured - he looked huge and covered a ton of the net when he went into the butterfly. Looks like a promising player.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:20 PM
windowlicker

I say but Big Valley in. Maybe he'll allow less than 4 goals against Minnesota. Which, judging by the latest results, guarantee's us either a tie or a win.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:26 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Based on his last couple of starts with the Runners, he wasn't even able to hold AHL teams to under 4 goals...

Keep playing Conks as you would Salo... if it was a game you would give Salo off to rest, play Valley.

It's the only way to do it and not show wavering confidence, but at the same time keeping your goalie fresh.

Closed Thread