HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part Three)

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 08:28 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
oh i thought they canceled it next year completely. regardless lockout (hopefully not) or not i could see them having the season start somewhere between the 12th-15th. which would benefit the rangers, they would start on the west coast trip and come back play some divisional games. by then it should be mid to late november and the garden would be ready to go. just assuming ofcourse.
Yeah they did because of the uncertainty of the new CBA but it doesn't really affect the Rangers since the games were on the same weekend as all the other games in the league anyway.

I just think they are in a lot of trouble with this second phase if one of the teams go deep.

02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yeah they did because of the uncertainty of the new CBA but it doesn't really affect the Rangers since the games were on the same weekend as all the other games in the league anyway.

I just think they are in a lot of trouble with this second phase if one of the teams go deep.
yeah regardless i agree with you. we could be in for a very long road trip. then again i gotta think this time they are gonna have maybe twice as many workers if that helps.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:36 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
if someone can grab some screen shots of tonights transformation show we get a blueprint as to what the suite level and the new upper bowl will look like. its towards the end of the show, theres also a shot of the model of what the building will look like too. last segment of the show.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:58 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
if someone can grab some screen shots of tonights transformation show we get a blueprint as to what the suite level and the new upper bowl will look like. its towards the end of the show, theres also a shot of the model of what the building will look like too. last segment of the show.
Didn't catch the show but this sounds intriguing. Hopefully someone can get a screenshot of it.

Last edited by NYRFAN218: 02-20-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old
02-20-2012, 11:31 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Show is being re-aired right now. Hopefully someone can grab it.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Anybody have a video link for us poor customers out in Phoenix who can't watch MSG gtransformation series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
its a 20 week shut down no matter what. hank ratner has been quoted as saying this. IF the rangers play into mid june the earliest they could start at home would be the beginning of november
17 weeks, not 20.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is I think phase two may be the longest and most complicated of the three phases. They have to deconstruct the 300s and 400s and make the upper bowl steeper plus they have to build the luxury boxes on the 7th floor. I think they're gonna have a lot of problems if one of the Knicks or Rangers make a deep run.
They are not deconstructiing the upper deck, If you look to the left and right of the old 300s at the new 300s you can see how they merely built up on the existing superstructure. The new seating will match that seating. I actually heard from a friend in MSG hierarchy that they got a lot more done last summer than they expected because of early playoff exits.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

vCash: 1150
there is a couple of good pictures of the new upper bowl here

http://argueallday.com/index.php/201...-new-look-msg/

Old
02-21-2012, 12:43 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

i also found this video on youtube with a couple of seconds showing the model here and there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVt3X5HuFTE

my question is what are they doing with the upper bowl behind the goals i know they have the new 300s but will they be extended and no and what are they going to do with the seats in the 400s behind the goal?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
So what happens if the Rangers are in the Cup Finals and they only have like 3 months to do the second bowl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan2Gaborik View Post
Or the Knicks are playing in June..wonder what will happen
I think a Knicks playoff run is what could be more harmful to the timeline. I don't remember specifics, but couldn't the NBA Finals go as late as the last week in June or something? Stanley Cup Finals would end by the 1st or 2nd week in June. If by some chance the Knicks happened to go that far, that could really push things back.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is I think phase two may be the longest and most complicated of the three phases. They have to deconstruct the 300s and 400s and make the upper bowl steeper plus they have to build the luxury boxes on the 7th floor. I think they're gonna have a lot of problems if one of the Knicks or Rangers make a deep run.
I think it could be debatable over what is the most complicated of the phases. The first phase did the entire lower bowl, built suites underneath/in front of that lower bowl, re-did the entire 6th floor, added in the West Balcony, and did some work on the 8th floor behind the nets. The fact they were ahead of schedule and completed things not originally expected to be done so soon, I want to say at the end of it all that will probably be the most complicated phase. But then again, the 3rd phase could be as well, as that is re-doing the 7th avenue entrance, adding the bridges, and possibly any additional things that 1) were not completed originally or 2) anything additional that may be added/enhanced from the original plans. I'm most intrigued to see what the 7th Ave construction will be like considering the traffic that runs through there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
yeah regardless i agree with you. we could be in for a very long road trip. then again i gotta think this time they are gonna have maybe twice as many workers if that helps.
I don't know enough about construction, but I'm really skeptical if more workers could make a huge difference. They already had thousands of workers, and people doing something pretty much 24/7. How much more could really be done? I have no idea really, but its hard to imagine how much more could be done simultaneously. But again, this is not my field, so I wouldn't know.

The one thing that I think will help a lot for Phase 2 is the prep-work that already has been done to sort of kick start it all. Since the upper loop has been removed (cut off behind the ends is probably a better way to put it), they can make some good progress with the Madison Suites. The bowls will still need to be done obviously, but it can easily be done in sections this way as it's already split up to a degree. Work is already being done in those concourses as well, as you can see by all of the temporary walls on either side. The other fan deck will be a key component as well, but the fact one was taken care of already (when I don't believe the original plans had it going live this quick) probably makes things easier. I really should know more about the phases of the transformation than I can recall right now. What else was planned for the second summer?

Old
02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Anybody have a video link for us poor customers out in Phoenix who can't watch MSG gtransformation series?

17 weeks, not 20.

They are not deconstructiing the upper deck, If you look to the left and right of the old 300s at the new 300s you can see how they merely built up on the existing superstructure. The new seating will match that seating. I actually heard from a friend in MSG hierarchy that they got a lot more done last summer than they expected because of early playoff exits.
ill dig up the video when i get home from work but i know for a fact it is a 20 week shut down. if it was 17 weeks this summer, than the garden would have been able to be ready in late august, not early october. (edit: i believe it is in this video that mr. ratner says its 20 weeks.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc46jVNDkxk

they are in fact deconstructing the upper bowl. there is no other way for them to re-do it. new concrete will be poured, and new steel will be brought in to construct it. how could they possibly increase the pitch of the seating bowl and increase concourse space if they left the old steel and concrete there? they cant just build right on top of whats currently there. they need all the space they can get on the new concourses.

if you look at pictures from the summer, they entirely ripped out the end 300's. they ripped everything out all the way to the outer walls, as you could see sunlight pouring into the building in some photos. new steel was put in and new concrete poured and the end 300's you currently see are 100 percent brand new, they didnt keep anything, so im not entirely sure as to what you are saying.

Last edited by trueblue9441: 02-21-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old
02-21-2012, 08:19 AM
broadwayblue

Yeah, if they are moving the 300/400s forward and up and then increasing the pitch I would imagine they are re-pouring it.

Not that it really matters, but anyone know how the new upper bowl will be labeled section wise? Like 200s, or 300s?

Old
02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, if they are moving the 300/400s forward and up and then increasing the pitch I would imagine they are re-pouring it.

Not that it really matters, but anyone know how the new upper bowl will be labeled section wise? Like 200s, or 300s?
im not sure. what i do know for sure is that the new 300's will almost certainly be re-numbered. currently the 8th avenue end goes from 319 to 325 and those sections are next to each other. guess we'll find out in a few short weeks when sth's get their relocation information.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

IIRC, lower bowl will be 100's, upper bowl 200's.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:33 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
there is a couple of good pictures of the new upper bowl here

http://argueallday.com/index.php/201...-new-look-msg/

Nice find. Looks like the new upper bowl will have about 25 rows at center ice.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I think a Knicks playoff run is what could be more harmful to the timeline. I don't remember specifics, but couldn't the NBA Finals go as late as the last week in June or something? Stanley Cup Finals would end by the 1st or 2nd week in June. If by some chance the Knicks happened to go that far, that could really push things back.
NBA usually finishes before or at the same time as the NHL. NBA season ended on June 12 last year.

Not sure if the lockout year has caused that to move forward though.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
NBA usually finishes before or at the same time as the NHL. NBA season ended on June 12 last year.

Not sure if the lockout year has caused that to move forward though.
Lockout has pushed the NBA season back. Regular season doesn't end until late April now and I don't know the exact date but the finals could run until the end of June.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

Does it look like the lower level will have rows added to whats currently there? Center Ice bridges will be the best seats in MSG if it actually fits like that. I'm so nervous about my relocation. 4th Row 300's better be in the 1st 4 rows of the new upper level!

Old
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Does it look like the lower level will have rows added to whats currently there? Center Ice bridges will be the best seats in MSG if it actually fits like that. I'm so nervous about my relocation. 4th Row 300's better be in the 1st 4 rows of the new upper level!
i just compared the picture above and the virtual seating chart and its looks like to me that they are going to rip out the current 200 level seating and start building the suites there but i could be wrong

also if you look at the picture of the model it looks like there could be some seats in the last row with obstructed views.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
looks like to me that they are going to rip out the current 200 level seating and start building the suites there but i could be wrong
That is correct, I had confirmation from the Rangers on that before the season started. Those 200 sections are temporary

Old
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
http://argueallday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/The-new-madison-square-garden-32.jpg

Looks awful, they're going to completely ruin the view for the center & near corner 300/400s

Old
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
ThisYearsModel

Those Bridge seats will have a terrific view. Bet they are priced at $200 per seat at center ice.

However, the hogh seats in the upper bowl will suck without a view of the scoreboard.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Those Bridge seats will have a terrific view. Bet they are priced at $200 per seat at center ice.

However, the hogh seats in the upper bowl will suck without a view of the scoreboard.
It was in an article somewhere a while back that those bridge seats will most likely be club seats.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
nyrmetros

[img] www.argueallday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/The-new-madison-square-garden-2.jpg[/img]

Old
02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
We'll be seeing a whole lot more renderings come March when they start sending out re-location assignments to Ranger & Knick STHs

I still think its astounding how the outer walls can support that kind of tension on the roof support cables, now with two full bridges completely suspended from them in addition to the roof weight + attic + scoreboard + equipment

Old
02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I don't believe they are adding any additional rows to the lower level other besides what will be the box seating for the mid level suites. And I'm pretty sure those seats will be located it what is presently the temporary 200s (in red). Basically if you take the first row of the current 300s and move it forward to the front of the current walkway, and then raise it up 10 feet, that's pretty much where the new 1st row of the upper bowl will be located.

I would imagine your 4th row 300 seats will remain in the 4th row going forward. While it's possible the new seats are in inch wider (doubtful) I'm guessing they make each section wider (like they did in the lower bowl) while eliminating some aisles in the process. This should result in maintaining or increasing the number of seats per row and more importantly go a long way to keeping you from being moved back at all. Obviously anything is possible...but I think the odds are at least 80% you remain in row 4.

What section are you in?

Closed Thread