HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

vCash: 500
I can't believe people think Burnside has any merit the guy is a hack
http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2011/...nation-with-an http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/12/...-about-the-new

Old
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedenoCiger View Post
Well considering Hemsky plays like he doesn't want to be traded I'm surprised teams still are interested. He is just too much of a risk for the probable asking price.
If I was GM of a team needing some secondary scoring, Hemsky would be my plan C or D.
I love his offensive potential on any given night. It just doesn't happen often enough for my liking. Especially this year, and its always 'what have you done for me lately'.
Just for the record, does "playing like you don't want to be traded" involve playing so well that your team wants to keep you around, or playing so bad that nobody else wants you?

02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Just for the record, does "playing like you don't want to be traded" involve playing so well that your team wants to keep you around, or playing so bad that nobody else wants you?
Considering his play for 95% of the season I would say it is the later.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

A Swedish poster on the Trade Forum is saying that Viktor Fasth is looking to come to the NHL in a 1-way deal. If you recall, Fasth was being courted by numerous NHL teams including the Edmonton Oilers last season. At the time, he didn't come over because him and his wife were expecting a child and I believe they couldn't get a 1-way deal.

The guy has exceptional numbers in the SEL. 2.12GA, .931 SV% in 41 appearances this season. Better then his 2.26GA and .925SV% in 42 appearances last season.

I'd be interested if nothing else shakes out (IE: Bernier). Not much on the market this summer... Harding the top dog and then... Montoya?

Old
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
A Swedish poster on the Trade Forum is saying that Viktor Fasth is looking to come to the NHL in a 1-way deal. If you recall, Fasth was being courted by numerous NHL teams including the Edmonton Oilers last season. At the time, he didn't come over because him and his wife were expecting a child and I believe they couldn't get a 1-way deal.

The guy has exceptional numbers in the SEL. 2.12GA, .931 SV% in 41 appearances this season. Better then his 2.26GA and .925SV% in 42 appearances last season.

I'd be interested if nothing else shakes out (IE: Bernier). Not much on the market this summer... Harding the top dog and then... Montoya?
I'd be interested, but I'm thinking the Oilers would have to make another move (try to move Khabby or decide on Dubnyk by this summer) in order to offer him a 1-way.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

I'd go with him and Harding. Sure as hell beats what we have had for the last few years.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Definitely agree, my top choices would be 1) Bernier 2) Harding 3) Schnieder 4) Fasth

Dubnyk really has no competition for a starting job in future as Khabi just seems to be the old guy playing out his contract. Fasth would be the minimum goaltender we need to bring in for next year.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
b in vancouver

Random question -
Would any of you do a Tukka Rask and Dougie Hamilton for Taylor Hall trade at the deadline?
Don't kill me too much. It came up in conversation and I was just curious.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Gags89

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Random question -
Would any of you do a Tukka Rask and Dougie Hamilton for Taylor Hall trade at the deadline?
Not a chance.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
No way in hell his value is that low, someone at ESPN has been sniffing glue and huffing paint.

Quote:
Random question -
Interesting proposal. That said I would have to turn it down. The value might be there if Hall wanted out, but I'm always weary of trading for goaltenders.

02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Considering his play for 95% of the season I would say it is the later.
He's played 45 games this season. Since January (45% if his season) he's been scoring at 0.7 PPG, which is slightly lower than his career average. He was hurt at the start of the year, and clearly playing to not get hurt for a while after his return. He was not effective during that period, which is fair. But if teams have been looking into aquiring him and actually scouting him (or at least doing more than heading to nhl.com to check out his season's point totals, which I suspect is all most HF posters and espn blogger types are doing), then I doubt they're going to come to the conclusion that he's no good anymore.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
misfit

Quote:
Random question -
No interest at all. Not even a little bit.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

No

Hamilton looks good but Hall has already proven himself and is only going to get better.

I would deal this years 1st + Hemsky + Dubnyk for that package.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:16 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
Ya....No

That is a Hal Gill level of return. I know that defensemen like Gill are valuable come playoff time but lets be reality, there is NO WAY that Gill is worth as much as Hemsky on the trade market. I don't care what Hemsky's stats look like this season.
With that being said, i still prefer to sign Hemsky to a 2-3 year deal preferrably 2 so i hope that the rumors about Hemsky softening his stance on contract term are true.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:18 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
He's played 45 games this season. Since January (45% if his season) he's been scoring at 0.7 PPG, which is slightly lower than his career average. He was hurt at the start of the year, and clearly playing to not get hurt for a while after his return. He was not effective during that period, which is fair. But if teams have been looking into aquiring him and actually scouting him (or at least doing more than heading to nhl.com to check out his season's point totals, which I suspect is all most HF posters and espn blogger types are doing), then I doubt they're going to come to the conclusion that he's no good anymore.
I am not saying he is no good anymore. Just that his play this year hasnt help make a more attractive trade target for teams looking to be buyers IMO. His play has improved as of late, but using PPG stats from a cherry picked section of his season is pretty misleading.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Better to get something rather than nothing.

Honestly, the guy will almost 100% be gone come July 1st to some UFA team with some money to throw around so a 2nd rounder and a prospect or two is looking pretty damn good right now.

I have no idea how contract negotiations have gone between the Oilers and Hemsky but reading between the lines the Oilers simply don't want him anymore or else he'd be signed by now.

Get what you can and move on. Simple as that at this stage.
The oilers will be more than willing to trade him if a good deal comes along but there is no reason to gift him to another team for very poor value. If no real good deal is there then they will try to resign him. People are very down on him at this point in time but he's still only 28, his legs are good, his hands are still good and he will not break the bank on his next contract. The oilers might not sign him but there has to be a line in the sand that you draw as a GM, you simply can't cave in no matter what.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

I would look into him at the same time I wouldn't bank on him being the answer to our problems in net.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
OilDrop37

Anybody else got that sick feeling in the pit of their stomach that the deadline is going to be hugely dissappointing from an Oilers perspective?

Old
02-21-2012, 12:34 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
No

Hamilton looks good but Hall has already proven himself and is only going to get better.

I would deal this years 1st + Hemsky + Dubnyk for that package.
Really? Never trade a lottery pick until you see where it ends up. If this is yakupov, we'd feel like idiots.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
b in vancouver

Thanks for the responses.
It was just one of those things bandied about over beers - and made me want to fast-forward about 5 years and see.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Anybody else got that sick feeling in the pit of their stomach that the deadline is going to be hugely dissappointing from an Oilers perspective?
I can live with it this year, but I hope it's not the case.

Smyth, Khabibulin and Sutton all look to be off the market now, the fact that all three have came out and showed that they want to be Oilers is a positive. Even though their on ice game might not show it, this team needs good veteran leaders moving forward.

Hemsky's play lately just throws us in to a total grey zone. This Hemsky who can take a hit and not miss a shift, who can make his line mates better, I would like to see stick around for 3-4 more years assuming it makes sense financially. I'm weary of moving him to another team for a Penner-like return, he goes on to be a 70 point player and we're left with nothing but question marks.

The one deal I'd like to see, now that he isn't getting 15 points a week, is Gagner for a legit top 4 defenseman.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Random question -
Maybe if we get Yakupov. Maybe

Old
02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Nope.

I expect at least 2 trades.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
misfit

Quote:
I am not saying he is no good anymore. Just that his play this year hasnt help make a more attractive trade target for teams looking to be buyers IMO. His play has improved as of late, but using PPG stats from a cherry picked section of his season is pretty misleading.
And taking his overall season's numbers while ignoring his entire career beyond that isn't?

If his last 20 or so games is consistent with the last 9 years, wouldn't the first 25 games he played this season be the ones to put less stock into?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I can live with it this year, but I hope it's not the case.

Smyth, Khabibulin and Sutton all look to be off the market now, the fact that all three have came out and showed that they want to be Oilers is a positive. Even though their on ice game might not show it, this team needs good veteran leaders moving forward.

Hemsky's play lately just throws us in to a total grey zone. This Hemsky who can take a hit and not miss a shift, who can make his line mates better, I would like to see stick around for 3-4 more years assuming it makes sense financially. I'm weary of moving him to another team for a Penner-like return, he goes on to be a 70 point player and we're left with nothing but question marks.

The one deal I'd like to see, now that he isn't getting 15 points a week, is Gagner for a legit top 4 defenseman.
Ballsy stance Mowzie, one that is sure to draw some heat to you.

Closed Thread