HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

re: BOS/EDM game

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 07:16 PM
WFHACommish

vCash: 500
re: BOS/EDM game

Hey guys,

I was there at Fleet Centre and watched the game live. Haven't done that for a while (watching the oils live). With no Oiler exposure for quite sometime (other than listening to 630ched via internet), I must say there are certain aspects of the game that disappoint me and frustrates me.

1. Their reverse the flow method everytime after a team dumps the puck is getting old and many teams are catching on. It frustrates me to see how much time they spend in their zone trying to reverse the play and i can surely tell you that it wastes more time. Most teams reverse with a purpose. We seem to do automatically without thinking as it has become so ingrained in our defensemen's minds. WE HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR SO MANY YEARS AND IT MAKES OUR PLAY WAY TOO PREDICTABLE. I am not saying it is a bad idea, we need some variety. Perhaps slapping the puck along with the flow. It was just horrible to see that in the last minute trying to reverse reverse and it ended up costing us 40 seconds and basically wasting the entire last minute of the game.

2. The reason why our power play sucks is what the hell is our fifth guy starting at the opponents blue line? By the time our puck gets to our blue line he's skating at centre ice (which is good) BUT IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. WHAT IN GOD'S EARTH IS HE DOING SKATING TOWARDS OUR NET. We're basically playing 5 on 4 with us being shorthanded. Our fifth player is coming at our defensmen, clogging up the middle. All the other team has to do is line up their forwards and they basically have 3 forwards in the neutral zone. As well, I do agree we need someone whose able to be a puckrusher. Our powerplay is just horrendous. It self deflates our team.

3. Our penalty killing is horrible. I've never noticed this before. Our 2nd forward now drops back in a same line with our defenseman. I have seen many times when we've been shorthanded, where Moreau or Pisani drops back to play in a defensive position. This creates way too much room in the neutral zone for the opponent with way to many options. We are a fast team and i don't find any reason why we have to drop back as though we will be beaten wide or something. And it showed, Bruins were able to cross into the Oilers' zone with very little resistance.

These were major disgustingly.

The players that I felt were huge impacts in this game were torres, york, dvorak, conklin. I thought they played well.

Conklin kept this game close. I know a lot of you have been saying Salo and Conklins GAA and sv PCT are similar. I don't care, Conklin saved at least 4 goals for us tonite. It would have been a shootout for the Bruins. The goals that he let in were not his fault. The only goal that may be questionable was the fourth and that's even arguable considering smith and i think staois were piling up on one another and pushing conklin into the net for some stupid. Salo has given way too many soft goals. I wouldn't mind having Conklin playing instead of Salo right now.

Dvorak had another solid game, had flashes of brilliance. Seems to be the only player on our team that can dangle with the puck.
Torres. Need I say more. He could become our goal scorer.
York. Too bad he's not any taller. If he was, he would a very dominant player.

The other players that were a huge disappointment were HEMSKY, HORCOFF and MacT.

Hemsky. I know he's our point leader. But he's basically non existent. Couple of blind passes from the boards in our zone that ended up on the Bruins' stick. Even when he assisted on Torres goal, I was surprised he even picked up that point. That's how none existent he is. I can understand why MacT has benched him. The 2nd goal the bruins scored. He didn't even hustle back to pick up Lapointe even though he was basically the last man back. He needs to be more enthusiastic. Did not show much of what I saw last year.

Horcoff. Like Hemsky, way too many boneheaded passes. Between the legs pass from the board in our zone and right into the middle of the ice. Not impressed at all.

MacT don't understand why he didn't call a timeout at the end with one minute left. And the following play showed the disorganization, costing us 40 seconds in our zone, reversing the play.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:27 PM
capebretonoilers

Good description of the game in my humble opinion..
small crowd at the game 12,500 approx --is that usual ??

Old
11-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Walsher

That is a perfect analysis. Especially of the good and bad players. Tonight was a microcosm of the entire season so what you saw tonight is a good showing of the season as a whole. Inconsistent, stretches of brilliance, stretches of awefullness. Good post.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish

MacT don't understand why he didn't call a timeout at the end with one minute left. And the following play showed the disorganization, costing us 40 seconds in our zone, reversing the play.

Let me know what you guys think.
(sigh) I didn't see the game. But this really looks like 20/20 hindsight vision here. Coaches like to keep that timeout until the puck is in the opposition zone to set up the play. Pull the goalie, make the change you need, get everyone on the same page.

Anyways, whose to say that, even with the timeout, the Oilers wouldn't have done the same thing?

Old
11-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
(sigh) I didn't see the game. But this really looks like 20/20 hindsight vision here. Coaches like to keep that timeout until the puck is in the opposition zone to set up the play. Pull the goalie, make the change you need, get everyone on the same page.

Anyways, whose to say that, even with the timeout, the Oilers wouldn't have done the same thing?
Gotta lay this one on the players not the coaches. They had no ability to get the puck out of their own zone in the last 1:42 and couldn't even get a neutral zone faceoff. Embarrassing second period and last 2 minutes other than that a great effort. That phrase is becoming very annoying.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:09 PM
WFHACommish

i can certainly tell you i miss the atmosphere back home. There are these silly girls, I think they are called the bruins ice girls that come out every time during a tv break. They bring this huge plastic bag for the people to shovel the snow from the bad ice. They then skate around waving like they were the god dam queen and hten they skate off. I thought it was funny.

As for the graphics, hardly any. They seem to be using Smokey the bear as their new Mascot on the screen. They use very old graphics to pump up the crowd. Things that Northlands used to use in the 80s. Other than that, they tend to show a lot of people from the audience on the big screen.

Oh yeah, did I mention I never knew how much propaganda there is down here. There were some military people at the game and everytime they flashed them on the jumbotron, a huge cheer would come. Not enough patriatism for you? First intermission, we watched these army people stand at centre ice repeating their oath to protect the commonwealth of Massachuessettes and President. Then, we had this guy sing some patriotic American song. Still not enough? Second intermission, another American song was sung.

No wonder there was such a low attendance. I paid to see Hockey not some Patriotic propaganda. I paid to escape from reality where I can enjoy some entertainment and forget the troubles outside. If I knew this would have happened, I might have watched it at home on TV and then flipped to CNN during the breaks.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:18 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Oh yeah, did I mention I never knew how much propaganda there is down here. There were some military people at the game and everytime they flashed them on the jumbotron, a huge cheer would come. Not enough patriatism for you? First intermission, we watched these army people stand at centre ice repeating their oath to protect the commonwealth of Massachuessettes and President. Then, we had this guy sing some patriotic American song. Still not enough? Second intermission, another American song was sung.

No wonder there was such a low attendance. I paid to see Hockey not some Patriotic propaganda. I paid to escape from reality where I can enjoy some entertainment and forget the troubles outside. If I knew this would have happened, I might have watched it at home on TV and then flipped to CNN during the breaks.
Could have had something to do with Rememberance Day?

Remember?

Old
11-11-2003, 08:22 PM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Could have had something to do with Rememberance Day?

Remember?
If it was Remebrance day, I'd rather see some old folks that served in WWII or previous wars. Not some young soldier reading his oath or recognizing their contribution to IRAQ FREEDOM WAR.

Not going to extend this into politics, but you get the point.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:27 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I do now.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:32 PM
edmontonoilers89

Thanks for the summary.

I always like getting in game reports, as things from the stands may look much different than it does on TV.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:36 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
Thanks for the summary.

I always like getting in game reports, as things from the stands may look much different than it does on TV.
EXACTLY!!! reports from TV are just compleatly pointless...there are so many things you dont see that can seperate you from having a good game and a bad game or a good game and a great game...

Old
11-11-2003, 08:51 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
EXACTLY!!! reports from TV are just compleatly pointless
Well I would say you probably pissed off about 80-90% of the people here that like to give their post-game veiws "As Seen On TV"

But you're STILL GONNA HEAR MINE!

And I don't think fellow tubers opinions are "compleatly" pointless.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Well I would say you probably pissed off about 80-90% of the people here that like to give their post-game veiws "As Seen On TV"

But you're STILL GONNA HEAR MINE!

And I don't think fellow tubers opinions are "compleatly" pointless.
your right...they arnt compleatly pointless especially if you miss the game....but you have to agree there are alot of things that you dont see on TV...

Old
11-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Walsher

I agree completely that you see more at a live game than you could ever see on TV. You see the whole play develop - you see the hustle and effort away from the puck leading to or causing the goals. TV is great but they have a tendency to miss or bypass the real cause of many plays. Plus it is easier to recognize hard work in things such as forecheck and backcheck at the game. TV is awesome but their is nothing like being at the game.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

Agree completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I agree completely that you see more at a live game than you could ever see on TV. You see the whole play develop - you see the hustle and effort away from the puck leading to or causing the goals. TV is great but they have a tendency to miss or bypass the real cause of many plays. Plus it is easier to recognize hard work in things such as forecheck and backcheck at the game. TV is awesome but their is nothing like being at the game.
I think my home game reports are much more accurate than the away game posts because there are things I see at home that I just can't see on the road.

On the other hand there may be replay that makes a play more clear to a viewer at home that I may miss at a home game.

Still a persons viewpoint at a game is going to be more accurate but there are some people that don't get to see the game at all and that is why it is good that so many report on what they have seen either in person or on the road.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I think my home game reports are much more accurate than the away game posts because there are things I see at home that I just can't see on the road.

On the other hand there may be replay that makes a play more clear to a viewer at home that I may miss at a home game.

Still a persons viewpoint at a game is going to be more accurate but there are some people that don't get to see the game at all and that is why it is good that so many report on what they have seen either in person or on the road.
ya i missed the game today and yesterday so it is kinda nice to see what you miss...but like you said...home game reports are sooooo much more accurate than away reports...and several home reports are nice to see...

Old
11-11-2003, 09:34 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
If it was Remebrance day, I'd rather see some old folks that served in WWII or previous wars. Not some young soldier reading his oath or recognizing their contribution to IRAQ FREEDOM WAR.

It was actually Veteran's Day down here. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't just 'patriotic propaganda'.

Good game by the Oilers though. Entertaining.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:40 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4419
Good game by the Oilers though. Entertaining.
They tend to entertain. If only they would wind more often...

Old
11-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
They tend to entertain. If only they would wind more often...
I hope you are an Oilers fan in Calgary and not a Flames fan looking to stir things up

Old
11-11-2003, 10:16 PM
serum114

Oilers fan would be a tame description. I grew up in Edmonton in the '80s, so rabidly religious Oilers devotee would be closer :-)

However, I must admit, after 15 years in Calgary, I have a soft spot for the poor souls down here. At least there's a belief in Edmonton that something good might come of it all. Flames fans don't even have that—at least not when they're on their meds...

Besides, there's the Stars and Leafs to absorb the excess hatred resulting from my Flames fandom.

No worries though, I still wear my Oilers jersey to Battles of Alberta at the Dome.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Walsher

good to hear!!

Old
11-11-2003, 10:21 PM
serum114

Apparently the colloquialism for child of unwed parents, or illegitimate child, isn't allowed on HF Boards.

Ya learn something new every day...

Old
11-12-2003, 05:40 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Apparently the colloquialism for child of unwed parents, or illegitimate child, isn't allowed on HF Boards.

Ya learn something new every day...
LOL

Closed Thread