HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you consider moving Cole if the price is right?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Find something the team lacks, find out it works well in your system... and trade it. Pretty sure that's a successful formula right there.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Find something the team lacks, find out it works well in your system... and trade it. Pretty sure that's a successful formula right there.
Exactly... let's trade Pacioretty for a 1st rounder as well.

Erik Cole now has the "A" on his jersey, he isn't going anywhere.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Habs Junkie

Trading Cole is one of dumbest things the organization can do. Finally we have a real power forward who voluntarily came here as a ufa, is a great leader for the young guys and gives it his all every single game. I would build around him if it was up to me and do everything I can to land Staal to play alongside him once again. Imagine a line Staal-Cole-Paccioretty one can only dream.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Exactly... let's trade Pacioretty for a 1st rounder as well.

Erik Cole now has the "A" on his jersey, he isn't going anywhere.
But he is playing so well on a poor team, someone might want him for a low-first and a fifth !

How could we pass on that ?!???

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:12 AM
charlie

I hope he aint goin anywhere.
I love watching him and Pathes hopefully for years to come.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:29 AM
zeeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
We're here because of our inability to identify and fulfill the need for a top line center since the mid 90s. Additionally, the constant band-aid solutions rather than proper drafting and development.
And if we had a top line center, who was playing well this year, there would be cries of "Trade him now!!"

zeeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:26 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
But he is playing so well on a poor team, someone might want him for a low-first and a fifth !

How could we pass on that ?!???
...That's not exactly what was meant by " the price is right ".

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Well if the Habs start trading there best playes after signing multi year deals I think that players might start to think twice, like I said before its hard enough to get good players to sign in Montreal with the circus that follows this team around.

This is so stupid wanting to trade one of the only good habs players this season too btw makes no sense
Were just talking to talk and the thread is would you move Cole if the "price is right". I couldn't give a rats ass about FA and if the price is right I would definitely move him. I wouldn't move him for a draft pick, I would move him if i'm getting a better player in return, not a prospect or pick. We are talking about a player that would make this team even better. Holly smokes some are acting like if Cole is the next Gretzky.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Edgy

For the right price/pieces, I'd move anyone and their mother. This includes, Price, Subban, Patches, etc..

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

If the "Price is right" wouldn't that mean that you have to move him???? If you aren't being offered enough then the price would be wrong.........

Everyone has a price.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:43 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Anyone on this team is available for the right price.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
The top ten pick you think you're getting, is it the one this team will achieve by playing like terrible arses after his departure, or do you expect a team like the Islanders to pony up their first just to get "talent like that" right now ?
Go to Washington. They are desperate to make the playoffs and need a spark. Cole would be perfect for them and they hold Colorado's pick. There are guys like JVRD out there too... get younger players.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Trading Cole is one of dumbest things the organization can do. Finally we have a real power forward who voluntarily came here as a ufa, is a great leader for the young guys and gives it his all every single game. I would build around him if it was up to me and do everything I can to land Staal to play alongside him once again. Imagine a line Staal-Cole-Paccioretty one can only dream.
Imagine two top ten picks in the same season and what Timmins could do with it. That player would be around long after Cole has retired from the game. Dealing him away is most certainly NOT the dumbest thing this club could do. It makes a lot of sense to trade this guy now.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Go to Washington. They are desperate to make the playoffs and need a spark. Cole would be perfect for them and they hold Colorado's pick. There are guys like JVRD out there too... get younger players.
Hey, I am in Washington ! What a coincidence.

And I just spoke with McPhee !

And if they're to move a first, it's not Colorado's, it's theirs.

What the heck are you talking about, mate ?

This isn't fantasy NHL12 GMing where you can turn a high priced UFA six months into his deal into a high first, a second and a prospect with B+ ratings without it affecting your team, the player and everything else.

Come on now.

Cole is the type of veteran a team needs to grow with.

Nobody would pay what the "right price" is for Montréal. Nobody. Because he is worth more to this team than he would be for any other. There is incredible value in being a good human being, in being a good example for younger players, in being a relentless workhorse. That is the right price, and we paid for it last July, and we're pretty goddamned happy with the result.

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
habitue*

For the "right" price..

Let,s trade Price, Subban, MaxPac, Gorges, Eller, DD, etc......

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Hey, I am in Washington ! What a coincidence.

And I just spoke with McPhee !

And if they're to move a first, it's not Colorado's, it's theirs.

What the heck are you talking about, mate ?

This isn't fantasy NHL12 GMing where you can turn a high priced UFA six months into his deal into a high first, a second and a prospect with B+ ratings without it affecting your team, the player and everything else.

Come on now.
So you're telling me you'd do it then if Washington said yes? Please don't try to avoid the question here.
Quote:
Cole is the type of veteran a team needs to grow with.

Nobody would pay what the "right price" is for Montréal. Nobody. Because he is worth more to this team than he would be for any other.
I disagree with you on this. And it's a message board so humour me. If we could get a first or a good prospect... would you do it? Stop trying to avoid the question.
Quote:
There is incredible value in being a good human being, in being a good example for younger players, in being a relentless workhorse. That is the right price, and we paid for it last July, and we're pretty goddamned happy with the result.
Yup, I sure am happy about fighting for last place. Then again, I wanted a rebuild anyway so...

Old
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
For the "right" price..

Let,s trade Price, Subban, MaxPac, Gorges, Eller, DD, etc......

What if the "right" price makes you go like instead of ?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
What if the "right" price makes you go like instead of ?
There is nothing like the "right price".

We are talking about a hockey "team". It's like a big puzzle. It's not taking pieces from other teams that gonna make that puzzle looks good.

So you remember Gainey and his July shopping spree 3 years ago ?

Where are we now ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Kjell Dahlin

• Experienced (I know some posters in here wish for a line up completely filled with 25 years old and younger players but... come on!)
  • Productive
  • Role model for the young players (as I already mentioned: he is a Darche with talent!)
  • Low maintenance
  • Power forward
  • One of the fastest skaters in the league according to his peers
  • Good cap hit

Yeah... let's trade him!

I think our Habs, healthy, are one tough and experienced D – the kind who can eat a lot of even strength minutes – away from being a top tier team so I consider Cole as a must, a keeper.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
yep. Finally a player who excels in Montreal, shows willingness to do all the hard work , and people want to get rid of him for a pick.

uh, no. Let's find more Erik Coles and start winning.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
yep. Finally a player who excels in Montreal, shows willingness to do all the hard work , and people want to get rid of him for a pick.

uh, no. Let's find more Erik Coles and start winning.
That's all this organization has done over the last 20 years or so unfortunately.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
  • Experienced (I know some posters in here wish for a line up completely filled with 25 years old and younger players but... come on!)
  • Productive
  • Role model for the young players (as I already mentioned: he is a Darche with talent!)
  • Low maintenance
  • Power forward
  • One of the fastest skaters in the league according to his peers
  • Good cap hit

Yeah... let's trade him!
Sure. If we get the right pieces in return. Let's say Ovie is caught in bed with Ted L's wife and we make an offer of Cole for Ovechkin that gets accepted before anyone else can get in and make an offer (Ted is understandably cheezed and not thinking straight obviously). Are you telling me that it'd be a bad idea to trade Cole for Ovechkin straight up? I mean Cole is a good player and all, and his cap hit is much nicer I suppose - but the guy coming the other way is so much more dominating.

The key words are the right offer. I don't think we get an offer anywhere in the neighbourhood of right for Cole, but if the stars align (as they have done before - Savard for Chelios, Roy and Keane for Ruchinsky, Kovalenko and Thibault and Yashin for Spezza, Chara and Muckalt come to mind) I think there are offers that might just be worth it.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Pedro McGuire*

No....that would make no sense. We are trying to Keep good players...not get rid of them. Who does that?

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
29dryden29

There is no one on this team that is above being traded if the return is decent then his ass is out the door.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Dharvey33

Yes we could get a nhl ready prospect and a 1st for him.

I'm thinkin Schwartz plus their 1st
Howden plus their first
Kreider plus their first
jensen Tanev plus their first

moves like that high tout prospects that could play next year in the league.

The guy won't be hat good in two years or so and we won't be serious contenders next year for sure we need a semi rebuild retool and Cole is gettin too old for that IMO. Gionta also needs to be traded. That's the only reason why i want to trade him because he is 33, if he was 28 or so i'd say keep him at all cost.

a player like Schwartz is nhl ready next year and will probably be competing for the calder i'd make that deal.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote