HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The majority of teams are healthy and turning a profit despite an economic situation that has seemingly affected every other aspect of American life much harder than the NHL. The league is not going to shut down so that 3 teams in unsustainable markets can get a short term lifeline.

I agree PLD. Can you imagine what that CBJ defense looks like with JJ taking top minutes on it......THROUGH 2018! Oof.
History has shown us that owners always want to make more money as I responded to your earlier post that there wouldn't be a lockout we all thought that wouldn't happen in 94 either.

The buzz has been that the middle market teams in the US wan't a reduction in % of revenue shared,a different formula for computing revenue (since their is no huge TV contract and much of the cap growth the past few years has been a result of the stronger Canadian dollar) a rollback of UFA age, the floor being lower than it is now, an end to burying players in the AHL.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
History has shown us that owners always want to make more money as I responded to your earlier post that there wouldn't be a lockout we all thought that wouldn't happen in 94 either.

The buzz has been that the middle market teams in the US wan't a reduction in % of revenue shared,a different formula for computing revenue (since their is no huge TV contract and much of the cap growth the past few years has been a result of the stronger Canadian dollar) a rollback of UFA age, the floor being lower than it is now, an end to burying players in the AHL.
**** the middle market teams. Why would there be an "end to burying players in the AHL?"

How the hell would you even make that rule? You can send any contract down to the AHL. That'd be ****ing retarded if there was somehow some restriction on player contracts that could be moved down.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Kovalchuk scored a bunch of goals too, but still hasn't done squat in his career. Nash's cap hit is a joke too and he's a -23 this year.. HORRIBLE.
A guy on a team 18 games under .500 is a minus???

Old
02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

i can't wait until the trading deadline has passed. I cringe everytime i come here to read that we have shipped off any of my favorites in return for our next "saviour"

Old
02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
is it possible that slats knows about something that may be in the new cba from talking with different owners/gm? i know nothing is guaranteed with them but if everybody thinks they would make a strong push to put something in the cba, maybe hes banking on that?

Old
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
**** the middle market teams. Why would there be an "end to burying players in the AHL?"

How the hell would you even make that rule? You can send any contract down to the AHL. That'd be ****ing retarded if there was somehow some restriction on player contracts that could be moved down.
The mid market teams want those contracts in the AHL (Wade Redden) to count against the cap.

I'm not advocating for those teams just what the buzz is.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
pwoz

Quote:
A guy on a team 18 games under .500 is a minus???
lol true

Old
02-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The mid market teams want those contracts in the AHL (Wade Redden) to count against the cap.

...and how would they even do that?

There's simply no way to do that. The AHL is a league for developing players and players that are not NHL worthy. If a guy flames out and is not NHL worthy, it's a team's right to put him in the AHL. End of story.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Nash's cap hit is a joke too and he's a -23 this year.. HORRIBLE.
Is anyone on that team a plus? The entire defense is a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I don't understand. IF that is the package from LAK how do we beat that? Not from a value perspective but from a needs perspective.

From my understanding CLBJ's need defense and goaltending. That addresses both. Where as our rumored offers just offer alot of offense and B+ grade defensive prospects.
Again, I think that's a pretty poor offer when you consider how terrible a defensive player Johnson is and the fact that he's got 6 years left on his contract too. Without Nash, I don't see how CBJ can generate enough offense to compensate for the horror of a Johnson/Wisniewski pairing.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

There is a decent sized TV deal that will start with the 2012-13 season. In fact it's large enough of a deal that the league fronted the Devils their portion of that contract.

Not sure if you noticed this, but the NHL has their major network partner in NBC.

The issues that the league is facing is that the same teams that forced the last work stoppage have found that the system that they agreed to are not working for them now. It has nothing to do with an incorrect systemic issue, but more like an incompetent management issue.

The teams that were losing money prior to the lockout are the team that are losing money now. (just less of them)

As it relates to contracts that get buried in the minors, the teams are not the ones with the problem there. It's the fans that have the issue and in the grand scheme of things, the fans opinion carries NO WEIGHT.

Personally I think there should be a cap, but I am against a floor. If a team can't make a 48 million dollar salary, they shouldn't be forced to.

Anyway, I fail to see any situation in which there is a major reduction to the Salary Cap and not have that tied to players salaries.

You need a 10% reduction in the Salary Cap? either rollbac salariesby 10% or allow teams a three year period to become cap compliant.

Teams should not be punished for spending to the salary cap. And I can guarantee that teams WILL NOT BE PUNISHED FOR DOING SO.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

There's simply no way to do that. The AHL is a league for developing players and players that are not NHL worthy. If a guy flames out and is not NHL worthy, it's a team's right to put him in the AHL. End of story.
Could be done fairly easily, they already do it with 35+ contracts but obviously that's pretty easy...but they could do it the way they calculate years of service or determine what FA Grouping a player falls into.

An example:

A player with 5 years of service who signed a UFA contract in the last X seasons.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Where's the report on this?

How does this help the mid market teams?

How does this help those teams that are suffering cause they are losing money? both mid-market and small market.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Lets not let a discussion about Rick Nash delve too deeply into CBA politics.

02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Agreed.

The only party that is "hurt" by this is the team that is paying a Redden type player, and AHL player, 6.5 million per season.

Where is the negative impact on the mid-small market teams?

Old
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Lets not let a discussion about Rick Nash delve too deeply into CBA politics.
fair enough.

Lets get Rick Nash for Dubi, Erixon, Thomas and a 1st

Old
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Could be done fairly easily, they already do it with 35+ contracts but obviously that's pretty easy...but they could do it the way they calculate years of service or determine what FA Grouping a player falls into.

An example:

A player with 5 years of service who signed a UFA contract in the last X seasons.
It couldn't be done easily at all unless the cap is raised quite a bit. Because then no team would sign borderline guys to one way deals. The PA would never, ever go for that.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

These are petty issues when compared to the situation on 2004. I can't really speak to the situation in 1994 because I simply wasn't tuned into the business side of the game the way I am today.

Negotiations will lead to all parties getting some of the things they want. Yah, one of those things could indeed be an amnesty buyout period, or some other aspect that allows the Rangers squeak through until 2014, but no one knows for sure. Maybe that amnesty buyout is something the owners concede if UFA rollback or floor enforcement is more important to them. There aren't that many owners who are in a position to need or would have a desire to use it.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
js10

I do not want to lose any defensive pieces for this guy called Nash. Price for him is too high, Rangers are performing as they should. trading for him brings so much risk that it is not worth of taking.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Bernier is still a commodity the Rangers dont have.

JJ is a proven commodity coming off a career year who's struggling. Just like Dubinsky.

I think the key would be the possible 1st and 2nd rounder.

From the Kings, it could be be 15th and 45th overall. From the Rangers, it would be 30th and 60th overall.

I'm on the Bernier bandwagon. I think he's an excellent goalie prospect who fell into an unlucky situation

Old
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
fair enough.

Switch erixon with mcilrath

Old
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
fair enough.

Point taken.

We just need to make sure the conversation on CBA stays at least somewhat tied in with Nash financing, rather than Redden.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
There is a decent sized TV deal that will start with the 2012-13 season. In fact it's large enough of a deal that the league fronted the Devils their portion of that contract.

Not sure if you noticed this, but the NHL has their major network partner in NBC.

The issues that the league is facing is that the same teams that forced the last work stoppage have found that the system that they agreed to are not working for them now. It has nothing to do with an incorrect systemic issue, but more like an incompetent management issue.

The teams that were losing money prior to the lockout are the team that are losing money now. (just less of them)

As it relates to contracts that get buried in the minors, the teams are not the ones with the problem there. It's the fans that have the issue and in the grand scheme of things, the fans opinion carries NO WEIGHT.

Personally I think there should be a cap, but I am against a floor. If a team can't make a 48 million dollar salary, they shouldn't be forced to.

Anyway, I fail to see any situation in which there is a major reduction to the Salary Cap and not have that tied to players salaries.

You need a 10% reduction in the Salary Cap? either rollbac salariesby 10% or allow teams a three year period to become cap compliant.

Teams should not be punished for spending to the salary cap. And I can guarantee that teams WILL NOT BE PUNISHED FOR DOING SO.
Wow the NHL has a deal with NBC thanks for the update

the NHL's TV deal is chicken #$#$ compared to the other major sports, as a result the pooled revenue is actually small relatively speaking. The very strong Canadian dollar the past few years has fueled the continued increase in the cap even in a very bad US economy. sorry but you can't make Chicken Salad out of that TV deal as compared to the other major sports TV deals. The 10 year deal announced has NBC paying an avg of 200 million annually which is 6.66 million per team, which is Brad Richards cap hit for this season. The NFL by comparison gets about 3 BILLLION/year with its TV deal, now compare each leagues salary cap for 2011, the NFL cap this past season was 120.3 million, the NHL 64.3 million.

Additionaly the lower UFA age has led to more teams locking up their younger players earlier by "buying" UFA years and they feel that has escalated salaries as well.

As I stated earlier I'm not advocating on behalf of those teams but just pointing out why I think there will be a work stoppage when the CBA expires.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The cap must be soften somehow. As is it serves the best only for those clubs that should either be moved or get out.
Agree. Hard cap sux!

Old
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Switch erixon with mcilrath
I would think the Jackets would want a mobil puck moving defenceman.

At the end of the day we are going to have to pony up value for Nash.

I believe that Erixon and McIlrath are about even in terms of value, but Howson has already stated he is looking for puck movers and Erixon fits that need to a T.

Personally, I think with the puck moves we have in McD and MDZ, Erixon is rendered redundant and someone that should be moved to address other wekanesses.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Lots of fortune tellers in here who need to give me the next lotto drawing numbers.

Closed Thread