HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Bernier is still a commodity the Rangers dont have.

JJ is a proven commodity coming off a career year who's struggling. Just like Dubinsky.

I think the key would be the possible 1st and 2nd rounder.

From the Kings, it could be be 15th and 45th overall. From the Rangers, it would be 30th and 60th overall.

I'm on the Bernier bandwagon. I think he's an excellent goalie prospect who fell into an unlucky situation
That is some serious confidence right there.

Rangers would have to sweeten the pot though if that is the case.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Wow the NHL has a deal with NBC thanks for the update

the NHL's TV deal is chicken #$#$ compared to the other major sports, as a result the pooled revenue is actually small relatively speaking. The very strong Canadian dollar the past few years has fueled the continued increase in the cap even in a very bad US economy. sorry but you can't make Chicken Salad out of that TV deal as compared to the other major sports TV deals. The 10 year deal announced has NBC paying an avg of 200 million annually which is 6.66 million per team, which is Brad Richards cap hit for this season. The NFL by comparison gets about 3 BILLLION/year with its TV deal, now compare each leagues salary cap for 2011, the NFL cap this past season was 120.3 million, the NHL 64.3 million.

Additionaly the lower UFA age has led to more teams locking up their younger players earlier by "buying" UFA years and they feel that has escalated salaries as well.

As I stated earlier I'm not advocating on behalf of those teams but just pointing out why I think there will be a work stoppage when the CBA expires.
There's your problem right there.

The NHL has never had a TV deal that would be anywhere near that of the NFL, MLB or NBA.

But they still get a sizeable contribution.

10 year deal worth 200 million PER YEAR to the NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238

Old
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
the NHL's TV deal is chicken #$#$ compared to the other major sports
I'll stop you right there because, the NHL is chicken **** in terms of popularity when compared to other major sports and you know it.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Really? Why is that? Has every FA the Rangers have signed played to/above his career numbers and expectations?
The fact that Sather invested money in guys that didn't deserve it has no bearing on Nash's value. If Stamkos was on the block tomorrow, would you avoid him because Gomez and Redden played poorly here? You wanna think of a FA signing that's comparable? Think Marian Gaborik.

Quote:
He might not feel pressure from the market or the fans, but he also might put pressure on himself to achieve personal goals and live up to his salary.

Every player is different. Some guys cant deal with the environment surrounding them and some guys can't deliver on self-determined goals (no pun intended).

We've been around this town too long to know when players are gripping the hockey stick too tight. You have to be concerned with how Nash deals with his first taste of adversity.
Wouldn't you want the guy to put pressure on himself to succeed? That kind of self-expectation is what sets the elite skill players apart from the Wolski's and Zherdev's of the world. I think the famous pressure of MSG, whether it be real or conjecture, is apparent in his mind. If he was worried about it, would he have said he'd be willing to accept a trade to NY? How about Toronto for that matter? I just can't buy into that.

For a guy who's been dealing with expectations his entire career, specifically the expectations of carrying a franchise on his back for the last decade, I just can't say I'm all that concerned about it.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
That is some serious confidence right there.

Rangers would have to sweeten the pot though if that is the case.

I know.

How about Nash for Dubinsky and Staal???

Old
02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
There's your problem right there.

The NHL has never had a TV deal that would be anywhere near that of the NFL, MLB or NBA.

But they still get a sizeable contribution.

10 year deal worth 200 million PER YEAR to the NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238
Already posted the dollars in my response that you just quoted...it works out to about 6.66 mill per team per season...that's Brad Richards cap hit, hardly what I would call a "sizeable" contribution...since the mods asked to refrain from CBA discussions this will be my last response.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'll stop you right there because, the NHL is chicken **** in terms of popularity when compared to other major sports and you know it.
But the NHL cap is less than 50% lower than the NFL for the 2011 season 64.3 vs 120.3...you don't see an issue with that business model being unsustainable for the NHL? What has the cap gone up almost 50% since year 1? In a down economy...red falgs all around.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Levitate

Quote:
But the NHL cap is less than 50% lower than the NFL for the 2011 season 64.3 vs 120.3...you don't see an issue with that business model being unsustainable for the NHL? What has the cap gone up almost 50% since year 1? In a down economy...red falgs all around.
Revenue's have grown, down economy and all. The cap is directly linked to revenue

Though the NHLPA also had the ability to vote for bumps in the cap during this CBA, which they did, so it probably bumped up an additional 10% or more just from those, without being tied directly to revenue

Old
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm just saying that the system may be tweaked and in ways that no one can predict, but it certainly will not be throw out again.

But, I'm setting a bad example by continuing the CBA talk myself, so I digress.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

"Larry Brooks wrote on Monday that the Jackets are believed to be asking for Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, prospect Chris Kreider and either a first-rounder or another top prospect."

Ok, can we just stop this Nash crap. Just reading this makes me angry.

Nash isn't this good. I don't want anything to do with him. I want to keep our players. The price is just too steep. Even if this comes down, it's still too steep.

Next year we can have Kreider which makes us much more powerful up front and it costs NOTHING.

I would rather not make any moves than get Nash. I just want it all to go away...

Old
02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
I know.

How about Nash for Dubinsky and Staal???

I think we get a bit ripped. Staal is nearly worth Nash.
I think this is more fair...
Dubi Staal 2nd
For
Nash, Tyutin

Old
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The fact that Sather invested money in guys that didn't deserve it has no bearing on Nash's value. If Stamkos was on the block tomorrow, would you avoid him because Gomez and Redden played poorly here? You wanna think of a FA signing that's comparable? Think Marian Gaborik.

Wouldn't you want the guy to put pressure on himself to succeed? That kind of self-expectation is what sets the elite skill players apart from the Wolski's and Zherdev's of the world. I think the famous pressure of MSG, whether it be real or conjecture, is apparent in his mind. If he was worried about it, would he have said he'd be willing to accept a trade to NY? How about Toronto for that matter? I just can't buy into that.

For a guy who's been dealing with expectations his entire career, specifically the expectations of carrying a franchise on his back for the last decade, I just can't say I'm all that concerned about it.
Some of the Jackets fans seem to think that he's been loafing the last two seasons, and the performance he put on at MSG the other night was his best game of the season (for obvious reasons)

I try to watch as many Jackets games as possible but their announcer is just too friggin annoying. The handful of times I've watched Nash, he didn't look dynamic. Granted, losing can breed lethargy (and vice versa), but with the kind of culture surrounding this organization right now, Zach Parise seems like the guy Sather wants instead of Nash. I mean, look at the guy we just drafted this past June.

Problem is, you have a legit chance to acquire Nash, whereas Parise might not be available.

With Nash, it worries me that he would become a Ranger and since the team is already winning, he would get complacent.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
I think we get a bit ripped. Staal is nearly worth Nash.
I think this is more fair...
Dubi Staal 2nd
For
Nash, Tyutin
Terrible deal. Tyutin has a worse contract to than Nash. And he is nowhere near the talent level of staal.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Some of the Jackets fans seem to think that he's been loafing the last two seasons, and the performance he put on at MSG the other night was his best game of the season (for obvious reasons)

I try to watch as many Jackets games as possible but their announcer is just too friggin annoying. The handful of times I've watched Nash, he didn't look dynamic. Granted, losing can breed lethargy (and vice versa), but with the kind of culture surrounding this organization right now, Zach Parise seems like the guy Sather wants instead of Nash. I mean, look at the guy we just drafted this past June.

Problem is, you have a legit chance to acquire Nash, whereas Parise might not be available.

With Nash, it worries me that he would become a Ranger and since the team is already winning, he would get complacent.
Or becoming a Ranger would ignite him to that elite level everyone has been expecting of him.

Who knows though.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
"Larry Brooks wrote on Monday that the Jackets are believed to be asking for Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, prospect Chris Kreider and either a first-rounder or another top prospect."

Nash isn't this good. I don't want anything to do with him. I want to keep our players. The price is just too steep. Even if this comes down, it's still too steep.

Next year we can have Kreider which makes us much more powerful up front and it costs NOTHING.

I would rather not make any moves than get Nash. I just want it all to go away...
Key word in the Brooks article is "believed"...it's also a negotiation so you always ask for more than you're willing to settle for and conversely the GM's on the other side will make an inital offer with less than they are willing to offer.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Affinity

Quote:

Yes, this is the point I'm at as well. I cannot wait until next Monday. I'm sure we're going to hear about it during the games between now and then. I just don't want Rick Nash. I don't think we need to get him. We're already in 1st place in the East by a decent amount of points. I'd like to pick up a guy with a decent ht cap who wouldn't make a big splash in the locker room by trading away guys that have been playing together since the AHL. I just don't think Rick Nash is necessary for the Rangers to be successful so even trading away Dubi is not worth it to me.

Old
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Stamkos was on the block tomorrow, would you avoid him because Gomez and Redden played poorly here?
If we were talking Stamkos I'd say hell yes bring it on. He's worth it in production and in cap cost. But Nash is nowhere close to Stamkos.

Quote:

Agreed! I wouldn't deal MDZ or McD straight up for him let alone with everything else. MDZ is just as valuable on defense as Nash is on offense, and MDZ will cost 1/3 as much.

You guys advocating getting Nash are crazy.

Old
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
cap in hockey for 23 players, nfl cap for 46 players, per player salary roughly equal, tv contract for nfl is outta this world, nhl not as popular in United States ergo the the crappier tv contract. But screw the people if they dont know the best game on earth.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

This is the one trade I think Sather won't be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. It's going to cost him.

If it doesnt cost him, then Howson truly is an idiot and needs to be fired.

It's amazing how we went from getting Rutuu for MZA and a 2nd to trading away two huge assets for Rick Friggin Nash

Old
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
If Sather rips this team apart for Nash, I would go into depression mode. If the asking price is Dubi, MDZ or McD, Kreider and a 1st, hang up the phone and have a cigar. Our prospects are looking really good. Give them a chance and if it doesn't work out, then go out and make a trade.

Nash is great but if we do make a trade similar to what I wrote above, that would just take us back to step 1. I do "NOT" want to rebuild in 3 years down the road.

Im surprised Hagelin isn't thrown into these trade talks. Columbus wants us to pay for there mistakes? Hah, hang up the phone Glen. Please.

Signed,
All Ranger Fans

Old
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Or becoming a Ranger would ignite him to that elite level everyone has been expecting of him.

Who knows though.
How many players have come here from a different team and actually elevated their level of play for a long term?

We shouldn't assume that his career numbers are just going to rise in New York.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
This is the one trade I think Sather won't be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. It's going to cost him.

It's amazing how we went from getting Rutuu for MZA and a 2nd to trading away two huge assets for Rick Friggin Nash
Depends on what you qualify as "rabbit out of a hat" Dubi, Wolski and Valentenko? Yeah, he's not going to pull that off. Dubi, someone not named Kreider and a 1st? That's kind of rabbit-hat-ish. Still not thrilled with trading for Nash though.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

If Nash comes to the Rangers and we break this team up, I think Rangers fans will hunt Sather down and bury him

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
How many players have come here from a different team and actually elevated their level of play for a long term?

We shouldn't assume that his career numbers are just going to rise in New York.
Cant assume he wont

Old
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

Howson isn't getting that from Sather or any other sane GM...as was stated earlier the only guy who might be willing to sell the farm is Lombardi and that's because his job is on the line...who was the last high priced non-pending FA to be traded? and what was the return?

Howson has to make a deal now that he has gone so public that Nash is on the block, his quotes are all over the place...I could see this deal going down to the wire and him coming out with a current player, a prospect and a pick. He should have done it quietly and quickly.

Closed Thread