HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 Oilers Prospects

Old
02-18-2012, 09:05 AM
cheesed-off*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 View Post
I may be out to lunch on this one... But I swore I kept hearing Klefbom was under contract in Sweden next year as well and wanted to stay for it... The article says he would come over next year even to play in the AHL... Is this correct?
When ur as handsome as Klefbom, no contract in the world can legally bind you.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
no Fedun?

I would have him in our top 10.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:13 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
no Fedun?

I would have him in our top 10.
When ur as handsome as Fedun, no top 10 list can contain you.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Looks like a bust unfortunately. With the depth at forward and more prospects coming into the fold this year, the clock is already ticking for Martindale.
Far too early to call him a bust.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:47 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Far too early to call him a bust.
Not a bust, but he's been labouring in a low-key league and has not been impressive to say the least. If the Oilers add a couple of solid forward prospects at this year's draft, he may quickly fall off charts (keep in mind the youth of the Oilers' core: Hall, RNH, Eberle and likely Gagner are not going anywhere. Then there are Paajarvi, Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, Hamilton and Rieder who's quietly been putting together a solid season. The addition of Grigorenko could mean the end of the line for Martindale as an Oilers' prospect.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:48 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
He's doing what's expected of him. Lacks consistency in terms of effort. That kills a prospect's value if he pulls this crap before he's an established NHL player.

See Alexi Kovalev.
Sure he could have been better but Kovalev had 12 twenty goal seasons.

There many better example than a guy who had over 1000 points in the NHL.

Heck the Oilers have probably drafted at least one a year for the last 20 years.

Last edited by nabob: 02-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.
nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
When ur as handsome as Klefbom, no contract in the world can legally bind you.
That man is such a total babe. Don't you wish you could like cuddle with him all day? <3

Last edited by Baby Nilsson: 02-21-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: i luv u
Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Not a bust, but he's been labouring in a low-key league and has not been impressive to say the least. If the Oilers add a couple of solid forward prospects at this year's draft, he may quickly fall off charts (keep in mind the youth of the Oilers' core: Hall, RNH, Eberle and likely Gagner are not going anywhere. Then there are Paajarvi, Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, Hamilton and Rieder who's quietly been putting together a solid season. The addition of Grigorenko could mean the end of the line for Martindale as an Oilers' prospect.
The same was said for Cornet and now he is showing a lot different. I'm not saying Martindale is going to be a NHLer someday, but to write a guy off who is in his first pro year isn't right. Not like Martindale has to make this team in the next year or two either.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:53 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
The same was said for Cornet and now he is showing a lot different. I'm not saying Martindale is going to be a NHLer someday, but to write a guy off who is in his first pro year isn't right. Not like Martindale has to make this team in the next year or two either.
The Oilers could have sent him back to junior and everyone would still be raving about his potential. Some people really under-estimate how tough the jump is from junior to pro.

One half of an injury filled season and he is a bust. okey dokey.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
The Oilers could have sent him back to junior and everyone would still be raving about his potential. Some people really under-estimate how tough the jump is from junior to pro.

One half of an injury filled season and he is a bust. okey dokey.
I have to agree. People need to realize that guys that are able to use their body in junior aren't going to walk into the pro ranks and do it so easily. Takes time to adjust and gain the mass.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Moneypuck

Klefbom could stiff the Oilers if he remains in Sweden for one more year. If he doesn't like the Oilers situation/offer, he could choose not to sign and go back into the draft in 2014 hoping to find a better fit for himself.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Klefbom could stiff the Oilers if he remains in Sweden for one more year. If he doesn't like the Oilers situation/offer, he could choose not to sign and go back into the draft in 2014 hoping to find a better fit for himself.
He could. But did you hear/see any of his interviews from the WJHC last month? Sounds like he wants to be here.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Why would he? Seems like an almost ideal situation for him here, with weak D and plenty of high scoring young forwards who would help to drive up his offensive numbers.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
misfit

Quote:
He could, but what would be a better fit for a young defenseman like Klefbom than a team like the Oilers with needs on defense, an eye towards playing their youth, and a strong minor league team?

02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
LaGu

Quote:
That's if they actually play him. ST is going to have to talk to the GM of his SEL club and find out what the plan is for 12-13.

Quote:

Oh Lord, you guys break me up. Have you even bothered to follow his season this year?... And I don't mean just his stats line but how he has performed on and off the ice... EDM and Klefbom will discuss this and come to some kind of agreement. If he stays, fine, he'll most probably be 1st pair D, if he goes to AHL, fine, he'll get some time to adapt to the NA game. Doesn't really matter, as long as he and EDM have a long term plan for his development I am good with either of the options and then in a year or two down the road we'll find out if he'll be good enough to make it over here.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

Oh Lord, you guys break me up. Have you even bothered to follow his season this year?... And I don't mean just his stats line but how he has performed on and off the ice... EDM and Klefbom will discuss this and come to some kind of agreement. If he stays, fine, he'll most probably be 1st pair D, if he goes to AHL, fine, he'll get some time to adapt to the NA game. Doesn't really matter, as long as he and EDM have a long term plan for his development I am good with either of the options and then in a year or two down the road we'll find out if he'll be good enough to make it over here.
Is Klefbom getting top time now? Last I heard he was behind on the depth chart.

I really don't know why you are laughing, what I said is exactly what ST said a couple months ago.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Is Klefbom getting top time now? Last I heard he was behind on the depth chart.

I really don't know why you are laughing, what I said is exactly what ST said a couple months ago.
Hrrm, maybe I exaggerated a bit, sorry about that. He's getting really good ice time right now (although he's injured and not playing tonight) and he's been dominating lately. He was struggling a bit this fall but since then he's been rock solid.

You never know what happens but I'd bet my left arm on that he'll be 1st pair D next season if he stays (and I'm left handed...).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Hrrm, maybe I exaggerated a bit, sorry about that. He's getting really good ice time right now (although he's injured and not playing tonight) and he's been dominating lately. He was struggling a bit this fall but since then he's been rock solid.

You never know what happens but I'd bet my left arm on that he'll be 1st pair D next season if he stays (and I'm left handed...).
Well that's good, if that is true I'd just leave him there for another year.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
heres my list of the oilers top 15 prospects in terms of NHL readiness

1) Omark
2) Plante
3) Tuebert
4) Hartikainen