HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Sherman gets a big fat "F" if he fails to move Hunwick at the deadline. Even with injuries, there is no excuse for not dealing a defenseman who clearly doesn't factor into your future plans. Moreover, he needs to have at least a good idea just which of his impending UFA forwards (Jones, McClement, Winnik) he wants to keep. I imagine Calgary will be lying in wait to snatch any of them up should they become available in July.
Why would he get an "F" for not moving a defenseman no one would want?

Old
02-19-2012, 02:14 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Sherman gets a big fat "F" if he fails to move Hunwick at the deadline. Even with injuries, there is no excuse for not dealing a defenseman who clearly doesn't factor into your future plans. Moreover, he needs to have at least a good idea just which of his impending UFA forwards (Jones, McClement, Winnik) he wants to keep. I imagine Calgary will be lying in wait to snatch any of them up should they become available in July.
He gets a F? What if no one wants Hunwick? He fails for not having control over people's mind? That aside he fails if he doesn't resign McClement. Winnik I want back too but we'll see. The rest doesn't really matter.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
If teams are still employing players like Brett Lebda and Mike Mottau, then there is a market for Hunwick. Even if it's a completely worthless pick/prospect, there is no point whatsoever to hang onto Hunwick just for the sake of having him ride out the rest of the season in the press box.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
If teams are still employing players like Brett Lebda and Mike Mottau, then there is a market for Hunwick. Even if it's a completely worthless pick/prospect, there is no point whatsoever to hang onto Hunwick just for the sake of having him ride out the rest of the season in the press box.
Hunwick has barely played all year. There's almost no market for him. Maybe they could get a career AHLer for him, but it's probably not worth it. Unfortunately for Hunwick, it makes more sense for the team to keep him as a 7th/8th D instead of bringing up a guy from LEM to play that role.

I actually feel bad for him at this point. He's kinda been used as a fail safe all year, and now since he hasn't played or been traded to a team that will play him, it's gonna be tough for him to find a job next year.

Old
02-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Hunwick has barely played all year. There's almost no market for him. Maybe they could get a career AHLer for him, but it's probably not worth it. Unfortunately for Hunwick, it makes more sense for the team to keep him as a 7th/8th D instead of bringing up a guy from LEM to play that role.

I actually feel bad for him at this point. He's kinda been used as a fail safe all year, and now since he hasn't played or been traded to a team that will play him, it's gonna be tough for him to find a job next year.
even if he didnt play much this year i still think ( well i hope ) that we can find a team to trade with . Remember a few seasons ago Kurt Sauer didnt play much for us and yet a teams like the Coyotes ( and i think Toronto, but said that they got the wrong player with Finger ) took him as a UFA.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

It just smacks of indecision to me if Hunwick is still hear post-deadline. Surely we could call up a warm body to fill the press box for the handful of games left after February 27th. But I suppose a ninth rounder isn't even worth the trouble.

I'll still be plenty pissed though if more than one UFA walks away for nothing.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
even if he didnt play much this year i still think ( well i hope ) that we can find a team to trade with . Remember a few seasons ago Kurt Sauer didnt play much for us and yet a teams like the Coyotes ( and i think Toronto, but said that they got the wrong player with Finger ) took him as a UFA.
Yea, but like you said, they signed as UFA's. No one traded anything for them.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
It just smacks of indecision to me if Hunwick is still hear post-deadline. Surely we could call up a warm body to fill the press box for the handful of games left after February 27th. But I suppose a ninth rounder isn't even worth the trouble.

Probably not, since there's only 7 rounds now.

Seriously though, I'd take a 9th for Sacco, and just call up a trash can from LEM to put between Deadmarsh and Lefebvre.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Probably not, since there's only 7 rounds now.

Seriously though, I'd take a 9th for Sacco, and just call up a trash can from LEM to put between Deadmarsh and Lefebvre.
Well...you know what I mean.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Yea, but like you said, they signed as UFA's. No one traded anything for them.
True, but my point was to show that at the end , even if Kurt Sauer didnt play much that year, he found a taker .

If Sherman is a real GM he should be able to get something for Hunwick .

Old
02-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:

Perhaps he's been kept around because they thought they very well might be in this very position and if they are going to trade off some players to get some picks back, they will need some warm bodies to finish off the season.

Quote:
There are 1,550,000 million reasons not to feel too bad for him.

When you think that he's getting paid roughly $120,000 per paycheck to PRACTICE with the team, I feel confident in saying, he'll live.

Last edited by Bender: 02-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Perhaps he's been kept around because they thought they very well might be in this very position and if they are going to trade off some players to get some picks back, they will need some warm bodies to finish off the season.
True, if they end up trading Quincey or another blueliner, they'll need him to fill the gap until the end of the season. And at this point, I am 100% convinced they should sell KQ. There are more than enough middle-tier defenders available to replace him on the market this offseason. Yeah, it's a bit of a gamble, but this team needs to quit playing it safe if it wants to make some steps forward in its development.

And yeah, I agree...don't feel bad in the slightest for Hunwick. He knows as well as anyone he was given every chance to succeed and then some last season, and failed miserably. While he didn't embarrass himself in the 12 games he's played thus far, he also didn't do enough to impress. Them's the breaks. If he's as hard a worker as everyone keeps saying he is, I'm confident he'll find a way back into being an NHL regular. I just hope to hell it isn't here.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
As of right now, I would rather see Hejda gone more than Hunwick. Hejda has too many years left on his contract and makes too much money for his performance or lack of it. SOB is a bargain when you compare the two.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
As of right now, I would rather see Hejda gone more than Hunwick. Hejda has too many years left on his contract and makes too much money for his performance or lack of it. SOB is a bargain when you compare the two.
Hejda is at least 5x better than SOB.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:08 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Yea, I can't see Hejda getting better... in fact, I fear his game is just going to slip more. How many years left in his contract?? lol

SOB has his moments & his leadership on/off the ice is huge.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

As frustrating as he has been to watch, Hejda's not going anywhere. For better or worse, he's a core piece moving forward. I certainly wouldn't deal him and keep Hunwick though.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
because if you can pull it off on an Xbox 360, you're clearly more intelligent than an NHL GM

Old
02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
SOB is at least better at generating offense by jumping into the play or taking the puck down low, which slightly makes up for his bad defensive play. Hejda can neither defend nor produce offense. Of the 7 Avs dmen who have gotten significant playing time this season, Hejda is clearly the worst.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
because if you can pull it off on an Xbox 360, you're clearly more intelligent than an NHL GM
And if you honestly believe SOB is better than Hejda, you're clearly not smarter than an Xbox 360.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
And if you honestly believe SOB is better than Hejda, you're clearly not smarter than an Xbox 360.
They're both pretty bad, or at least they are in their current role, but SOB has been on the ice for 34 ESGF and 41 ESGA while Hejda has been on the ice for 24 ESG and 42 ESGA. I'll agree that Hejda is better on the PK (his only redeeming quality) and takes fewer bad penalties, but Colorado is getting torched 5 on 5 and Hejda is clearly the worse D w/r/t even strength offense or defense. When Hejda is off the ice, Colorado comes close to breaking even 5 on 5, and for a team with a collective -105, that's saying something.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
5x better? 5 years older. More like 1.5x better and 3x expensive for three more years.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
5x better? 5 years older. More like 1.5x better and 3x expensive for three more years.
Now this I agree with.

Honestly, if you got Hejda to quit making those stupid pinches I think his value would be realized. I can't help but think he keeps trying to channel Martin Skoula because of the severe lack of offense coming from our blueline. Not an excuse for his bad decisions, just thinking the way you get him to play better D is by getting more puckmovers.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

I'm thinking Sherman didn't "lose" the Quincey/Downie trade.

Maybe he's getting better at this game?

Old
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I'm thinking Sherman didn't "lose" the Quincey/Downie trade.

Maybe he's getting better at this game?
He rarely does.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Well...at least that answers the question as to why the Avs didn't trade Hunwick.

Closed Thread