HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Barrie should step in for Quinc, not Hunnybear

Old
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Barrie should step in for Quinc, not Hunnybear
I wouldn't mind Hunwick to play the next 3 games. Maybe a desperate GM will offer a pick if he plays well.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I'm thinking Sherman didn't "lose" the Quincey/Downie trade.

Maybe he's getting better at this game?
You know, I'm one of Sherman's biggest critics, and I gotta agree. I think he got decent value for Downie. It's kind of the standard trade of a second pairing D man for a second line winger. Both are a little younger and RFA's, but I think/hope Downie could be the better deal for what he brings.

I just hope he doesn't blow this moment, with a second trade that just sucks. DON'T MOVE STASTNY!!! You're team will be better building around him, not moving another huge piece before you get rid of the cancer behind the bench.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Freudian
wild card, *****es

I like that he isn't afraid to address our needs even if it means he has to give up good assets. I'd much rather have a GM like that than a rebuilding GM that only hoards picks and hopes their drafted players turns out well.

Of course when you expose yourself by making big trades, it means there is a risk of a trade turning out very badly. No cojones, no glory.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I like that he isn't afraid to address our needs even if it means he has to give up good assets. I'd much rather have a GM like that than a rebuilding GM that only hoards picks and hopes their drafted players turns out well.

Of course when you expose yourself by making big trades, it means there is a risk of a trade turning out very badly. No cojones, no glory.
He's just got to watch how many big trades he makes. The players will just feel like a bunch of mercenaries instead of a team.

If he makes another big trade like Stastny, after the EJ trade, and the Varly trade, before he replaces Sacco, I'm gonna have a big issue with his idea of what's wrong with the team.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Lezz update dis yo.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Let's update this with Sherman being fired, Sacco too, yes?

Old
02-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Let's update this with Sherman being fired, Sacco too, yes?
Wouldn't want to fire Sherman, he is a good GM

Old
02-25-2012, 12:15 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Why the hell do people want Sherman fired? He's a great GM. Every time we complain about a hole, he goes out and fixes it. Need a #1 d-man? Hello EJ. Need a franchise goalie? Hello Steve Varmalov. Need another top 6 forward? Hello Downie. He has made this team loads better than previous years.

Sacco can go as far away as he wants though.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

He got solid value for a clearly discontented Quincey and once again addressed a vital need. I will give credit where it's due.

As for whether he should be fired...just not sure. At this point I would say no, but if he were reshuffled within the organization as someone else on these boards (Bender?) predicted, I would not be surprised.

We'll see what happens come deadline. I have absolutely no idea what's in store. Both terrifying and exciting, which I guess is why I love trade deadline time.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
avsfan9

sherman has done a good job with this team. we could still have lazy stewart floating around from game to game.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Allright, Fire Sherman card was a bit harsh, but I'd still want a complete overhaul in ownership and management, and coaching, of course.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post
Wouldn't want to fire Sherman, he is a good GM
I agree, I don't know why some people want him gone.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
I agree, I don't know why some people want him gone.
Some of us want our team's GM to show his face at least more often than Punxsetawny Phil.

Seriously though, my one remaining and very big problem with Sherman ironically has nothing to do with Sherman at all...it's the fact that I simply don't know if he's really the GM or not. I don't know who's making the decisions for this team. But then again I suppose it's not the indecisive braintrust I thought it was, so even that might be a moot argument.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
niwotsblessing

Wolski traded again today; Avs 7 - 1 this season w/o Quincey on the ice; Jay McClement almost tied in goals with Stewart; EJ growing into his position as #1 dman.

Sherman is fine, and will go back to accounting when Sakic is ready to take the reigns.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

To San Jose:

F Daniel Winnik
F TJ Galiardi
2013 7th round pick

To Colorado:

F Jamie McGinn
F Michael Sgarbossa
F Mike Connolly

---

Gotta love Sherm the Worm's "hockey trades."

He is amassing so much young talent on this team, without it being too far into the future.

Johnson, O'Byrne, Varlamov, Downie, McGinn... excellent moves.

Can we give this dude some praise or do we wait to see what he does for the head coach situation and free agency this summer?

Old
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Can we give this dude some praise or do we wait to see what he does for the head coach situation and free agency this summer?
He should definitely get some praise for what he has done but I doubt it will happen.

Don't forget about Mueller either. I know he's always hurt but if he can stay healthy, that Wolski for Mueller deal is one of Sherman's best.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

On the outset I like a lot of his moves. Obviously a long way to go, but he is accomplishing his mission of making the Avs harder to play against. While I like many of you believe the Galiardi situation could have been handled better, I think we got great value for him and Winnik, especially if Sgarbossa pans out as an NHLer and Connolly at least makes a solid contribution for the Monsters.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
To San Jose:

F Daniel Winnik
F TJ Galiardi
2013 7th round pick

To Colorado:

F Jamie McGinn
F Michael Sgarbossa
F Mike Connolly

---

Gotta love Sherm the Worm's "hockey trades."

He is amassing so much young talent on this team, without it being too far into the future.

Johnson, O'Byrne, Varlamov, Downie, McGinn... excellent moves.

Didn't even notice it was from 2013. Seems odd. Probably just to make it look a little better numbers wise 3 for 3.

It's also Anaheim's 2013 7th.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Sherman has done an excellent job at asset management on this team. He has improved our core. Made the team younger, and gave us a franchise player at every position.

The only complaint is coaching decisions. At everything else Sherman is a boss.

And as far as the "is he the one in charge?" I don't think he makes any hockey decisions. He gets a list of players that the Avs scouts think they should target from different teams, and works the phones trying to improve the club. I would assume that all the decisions are made as a management group.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I personally think that Sherman does a great job. Yeah he might pay a bit too much at times, but he isn't afraid to pull the trigger for what he wants. It was also seen last year that the Avs could only play one way, he has corrected that. We are more physical and still pretty fast.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 274
Greg from Accounting has done an amazing job with this team...we went from a team that was all small guys who are fast to a team with a mix of speed and grit. The Avs aren't one-dimensional like they were last year and the year before.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

One of my previous complaints earlier this season was that the Avs got bigger and tougher on the back end while remaining small and soft in the forward ranks. Obviously Sherman made some moves to address that, so I applaud him there.

His main objective this offseason should be to assess the team as a whole and see if he can/should add some serious scoring punch. Not saying he's gotta go crazy and spend lavishly, just see what can be done about making this team better at putting pucks in the net, both on wing and on D.

Also, the team has a lot of depth defenders...we need more top-4 guys, not 5/6 guys shoehorned into that role. Are some of the kids ready? Maybe not, but Sherman's first two attempts to bring in top-4 blueline talent (EJ, Hejda) have yielded mixed results.

So far, yeah, I have made a near-180 from my previous stance. That said, I still want ownership and management to deliver us some real playoff-caliber hockey, if not championship-caliber hockey, as early as next year. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Freudian
wild card, *****es

When I look at the team we have, I think we're going to do what Blues are doing now. Take off in a big way and someone (new coach) will get credit for it when taking advantage of a well built team.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
When I look at the team we have, I think we're going to do what Blues are doing now. Take off in a big way and someone (new coach) will get credit for it when taking advantage of a well built team.
Works for me, though I hope to hell we score more than they do.

Closed Thread