HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal is a bad defenceman?!?

Old
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
Staal is a bad defenceman?!?

Fellow Ranger fans, both at work, home and a few on these boards, are saying that Staal is "over-hyped, over-rated and not a solid on his end"......hmmmmmmm

Now truth be told, i may miss some of the finer points of games on TV--- such as some play-making or positioning....fore-checking, back-checking...but hey TV can only show so much.....

But where it comes to Staal, I feel like one of those people that fail to see the "pop-art" in those 3-D paintings....

"Staal sucks?"....."Staal is defensively wishy-washy?"......Staal is not the "stay at home D-man the Rangers need?"-----------ARE WE WATCHING THE SAME PLAYER/GAMES??!?!?

My cohorts say things like, "Even before the injury..." or "Just watch 'em, he turns-over constantly....."..........I dunno I just don't see it. Starting to get worried that I may need glasses or something.....

Guys, please sound off.....what the hell is everyone talking about....Am I off a bit, blind to poor play due to sentimentality? Are people serious about dealing Staal ? I need some feedback.....

Is STAAL the D-man i believe he is? Is STAAL a vital part to our future or not?

I say yes...and big time. Especially once he's fully recovered from PCS.

I will be playing EXTRA EXTRA close attention tonight......

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Jim Ramsay

The one thing that we fans are truely spoiled with is the depth at defense, there honestly aren't too many teams in the league that have the youth/ability as this team's defense.

For me it comes down to the fact that Staal is recovering from a concussion that honestly maybe some players may not have returned with this year. In my opinion, I dont think Staal is really going to show too much more than what he has this season, I believe with an offseason of rest and some training we fans are going to see a staal we would expect to see next year. The fact that we have a marc staal playing on our third pairing should make us fans take comfort in the fact that our defense is looking fine going forward

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
broadwayblue

It's simply a case of what have you done for me lately. A year ago Staal was a monster. Then he got knocked out and the rest of our D has played great this year. Now he's just average and replaceable.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

He's the flavor of the month.

Last season it was trade Del Zotto, before that it was Girardi, etc. Next will probably McDonagh.

He has a rough start after coming back from a big concussion and all of a sudden he's overrated and what he did just a year ago is now suddenly forgotten.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:25 PM
TrueBlue9

Last year aside from Lundqvist Staal was arguably the most important player on the team. When he's on he's as good as anybody defensively and can jump into the play when the opportunity arises. This year he has 21-22 games under his belt, no training camp, and no physical activity for months leading up to being thrown into an NHL lineup. When he is back to form, hopefully in the playoffs this year, if not next year everyone here will collectively notice how dominate he can be. Girardi, McD, MDZ, and Staal could be the best top 4 in the league.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavok View Post
Fellow Ranger fans, both at work, home and a few on these boards, are saying that Staal is "over-hyped, over-rated and not a solid on his end"......hmmmmmmm

Now truth be told, i may miss some of the finer points of games on TV--- such as some play-making or positioning....fore-checking, back-checking...but hey TV can only show so much.....

But where it comes to Staal, I feel like one of those people that fail to see the "pop-art" in those 3-D paintings....

"Staal sucks?"....."Staal is defensively wishy-washy?"......Staal is not the "stay at home D-man the Rangers need?"-----------ARE WE WATCHING THE SAME PLAYER/GAMES??!?!?

My cohorts say things like, "Even before the injury..." or "Just watch 'em, he turns-over constantly....."..........I dunno I just don't see it. Starting to get worried that I may need glasses or something.....

Guys, please sound off.....what the hell is everyone talking about....Am I off a bit, blind to poor play due to sentimentality? Are people serious about dealing Staal ? I need some feedback.....

Over rated,yes def....I would move him in a sick package for a top line winger no doubts...NYR dis dine with out him..he is getting 3rd pairing mins and nyr is still kicking ass.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Over rated,yes def....I would move him in a sick package for a top line winger no doubts...NYR dis dine with out him..he is getting 3rd pairing mins and nyr is still kicking ass.
How about watching a few games from last year when he wasn't concussed and actually went through training camp.

Or how about spelling a few words correctly.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's simply a case of what have you done for me lately. A year ago Staal was a monster. Then he got knocked out and the rest of our D has played great this year. Now he's just average and replaceable.
It's definitely what have you done for me lately mentality. It runs rampant on these boards.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I don't consider him overrated at all.
I'd say he is by far our most valuable asset on defense.
That's why I think he is the best to be moved. MDZ and McD have played well enough that he is somewhat expendable.

I would definitely consider moving him for another elite top 6er or another elite right-handed defenseman. I'd prefer the latter. It' mostly b/c I'm sick of seeing MDZ with Stralman, and Staal with Eminger because of the hand they shoot with. I'd much rather see like MDZ-Weber even if it meant dealing Staal.

I want to make something clear. I'm in the trade Staal boat, but its because he is overrated or a poor player. The way I see it, is he is by FAR our most valuable trade piece and allows us to AVOID ABSOLUTELY GUTTING the future in order to get another top end forward. Additionally, him and Dubinsky are our other two largest contracts. I think if we want to add another great player on defense or on forward, these two have to go...

I also want a dman with a point shot. Some people don't think it is necessary, but unless you have immaculate puck movement you need a guy who the PKers will fear. This will make much more room down low for our skilled forwards because they will not want this player to shoot.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
And I thought I was the only person who thought that.

Anyway. Staal is a bad defense man on a bad hockey team.

Seriously though, by this time next year everyone will be saying how lucky the Rangers are to have three guys (Girardi, McD, and Staal) that can play first pairing minutes.

Bet it.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

And people take shots at me

Staal is the same guy he was last year, which was the best pure shutdown D in the league, minus an actual adjustment due to his concussion, and he is recovering nicely from same.

Still effective. Not 100%. But it's not like he's playing 'like he's a shell of his former self'.
So people, let's be honest, let's get real.

Some things are open to interpretation, others not. Staal has played well in his return. Not all pro-all world, but sill very well.
And he'll continue to return to full form over time, barring another injury.

Another injury, THAT could change things.
But not this last one...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
And I thought I was the only person who thought that.

Anyway. Staal is a bad defense man on a bad hockey team.

Seriously though, by this time next year everyone will be saying how lucky the Rangers are to have three guys (Girardi, McD, and Staal) that can play first pairing minutes.

Bet it.
Therefore, MDZ will be expendable.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

"Ranger fans suck?"....."Ranger fans are wishy-washy?"......"Ranger fans are the rational and consistently supportive type?"

jeez, who did we hate on in 1994? or is this just a complex we developed over the 7 years we missed the playoffs?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

He's been improving. I was at the game against Chicago and he was our best defenseman in that game (at least the only one who didn't make any major errors). He's skating better than he was when he first came back, making better plays with the puck, and winning more board battles. Still doesn't seem like his timing is 100%, and he doesn't seem to have as much upper body strength as last season.

He'll be back in form after a full summer of training, and then he'll remind everyone why he's one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:04 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'll add that Staal is not bad. McD is just that good.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Ail
k.

Everyone is so blown away by McD and DZ's play this year that Staal is looking like a washed-up has-been. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially considering he was out most of the season.

The problem lies in people thinking that makes him expendable. If one of McD/Girardi get inured, we should be thankful we have an elite, all-star shut-down defensemen to step in and take those top minutes again.

02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
How about watching a few games from last year when he wasn't concussed and actually went through training camp.

All i have to say is i removed spell check from my phone and its a droid touch screen,but i type fast so those things happen... Dude your insults do not offend me.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
All i have to say is i removed spell check from my phone and its a droid touch screen,but i type fast so those things happen... Dude your insults do not offend me.
First point still stands.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Let's just say he's the best 3rd pair guy in the league right now

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
NYR1967

Staal isn't bad. He just isn't shiny and new and sparkly.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Rough comeback so far. I'd even say there was a game or two where he was a liability. I have no doubt in my mind that come playoff time he will be in mid season form playing big minutes against other team's top lines, while this is only McDonagh's second season out of college. McDonagh is a fitness freak so I also doubt he tires too much. Good to know Staal will be somewhat fresh.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Our defense is an amazing problem to have, in terms of giving out minutes to players. Mac and DZ have made Marc be a 3rd pairing guy right now, while on a lot of teams he'd be in the #1 spot right now. Our defense has been THAT GOOD. This thread should not be a testament to how bad Staal is, but how he looks at this point to guys like DZ and McDonagh and the steps they've taken to become a top pairing player (McD) and a top 4 defender (DZ)

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
This topic is so ridiculous that I'd almost rather not respond, but to say the bolded, especially before the injury, is just crazy. Marc Staal's entire game is his ability to retrieve the puck in the corner, elude the forecheck, and make a great breakout pass. He has an absolutely uncanny ability to come out of the corner with pucks that seem impossible to retrieve, and he almost never turns the puck over.

As others have said, we are spoiled if we are even contemplating getting rid of Staal.

Also, ellipsis. Google it.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
First point still stands.
I hear ya...We all got opinions man.Thats the problem around here,ppls lives revolvce around this team and they get offended so easily,its kind of weird man.

anyway.I been a fan for 22 years,so your jab about watch some games or whatever is immature and just ridiculous. i do watch.Check NYR's record without staal this year,enough said!

Every body is so big on him caause he is a STAAL...he is NYRs first real home grown stud in so long....like i said apparently he wasnt missed at all and that says alot.Did I ever say he wasnt good? NO i didnt..Over rated yes..Its my opinion ,thats what it is.

Old
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I hear ya...We all got opinions man.Thats the problem around here,ppls lives revolvce around this team and they get offended so easily,its kind of weird man.

anyway.I been a fan for 22 years,so your jab about watch some games or whatever is immature and just ridiculous. i do watch.Check NYR's record without staal this year,enough said!

Every body is so big on him caause he is a STAAL...he is NYRs first real home grown stud in so long....like i said apparently he wasnt missed at all and that says alot.Did I ever say he wasnt good? NO i didnt..Over rated yes..Its my opinion ,thats what it is.
We have a good record with Woywitka...so we should out him back into the lineup too, right? Let's just swap Staal out for Woywitka. That should work.