HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi on the Hot Seat

Old
02-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Hm, I didn't know Helene Elliot was reporting for Bleacher Report now.

Certainly has the style guide, no sources, no insight, just opinion, no thought process, no quotes.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Also, I think everyone is forgetting about Columbs. Those are going to come save DLs job.

Columbs.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Good luck with your writing for TheFourthPeriod.com goals of 2013 Helene. Don't ever let the dream die.
u aware brah?

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I am also confused by Hellen's article. She says that Carter has sulked since being dealt and that Nash is our only option but doesn't take into account that Richards and Carter are fast friends and that their connection could be what is needed to pick him back up (his scoring).

Carter seems like a natural deal for us, I was actually surprised we didn't bring him *and* Richards in at the time. I understand that cost was certainly a factor but I would much rather have Carter and Richards on our team to start the season than a healthy Gagne. His injuries made him a long shot prior to our signing him and he has done exactly what allot of us knew he would do. Not questioning his heart (SG) just saying that his body has been giving out the past four seasons and we were banking on him doing something he hasn't been able to do for the past few years.

I keep hearing Vanek (been saying it for a few days) but I can't see us pulling the trigger OR Buff actually moving him and that DL is going hard after Carter. IF we are going to make a splash type of deal it seems as likely that we end up with Carter as it does anyone else.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
A HOF writer should be capable of doing this.
She's capable, there'd just be no point to it.

Me and you, and most of the people who post around here make up 0.01% of the fan base.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:55 PM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
u aware brah?
I've seen his avatar around, gnomesayin'

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
u aware brah?
250 posts worth I guess I'm somewhat aware.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

TG,

Another center, really?

And all our centers have struggled playing on the wing. What are we going to do, bring in Carter and play him with Nolan and King or handcuff him with Stoll's pathetic ass.

This team needs a winger with skill and speed, not another center. But considering this is Dean I bet he is actually trying to get Carter. If this guy is given the green light by ownership to move Jack or Bernier in a deal for Jeff Carter I am done with this team for good, at that point ownership is just as responsible for driving the team into the ground as Dean is.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

As another Flyer fan posted, Carter has played a full season at wing, and scored 30 goals that year doing it.

Just because Jarrett Stoll has sucked at wing doesn't mean Jeff Carter will.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
She's capable, there'd just be no point to it.

Me and you, and most of the people who post around here make up 0.01% of the fan base.
They way there playing its up to 0.02%

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
TG,

Another center, really?

And all our centers have struggled playing on the wing. What are we going to do, bring in Carter and play him with Nolan and King or handcuff him with Stoll's pathetic ass.

This team needs a winger with skill and speed, not another center. But considering this is Dean I bet he is actually trying to get Carter. If this guy is given the green light by ownership to move Jack or Bernier in a deal for Jeff Carter I am done with this team for good, at that point ownership is just as responsible for driving the team into the ground as Dean is.
I agree with some of what you are saying in that Carter is a natural center but like others have said, he has done pretty well as a wing. With Stoll's departure and the possibility of Lokti moving as well having a winger who can be an equally effective center seems like a good fit to me.

I am not really advocating for Carter (though it seems like I am), I am just saying that he seems more like a move that we would more easily make then paying what it will take to nab Nash. Now I agree completely with you that we need a bonafide #1 LW speed sniper game breaker and Nash is that kind of guy but his cap coupled with his cost is steep.

That said, I keep hearing that we are down to the final bits of making a big deal and that it is either Nash or Vanek. I dunno, I can't see us paying the sticker price for either of these two but then if DL is truly starting to panic or concerned for his job then who knows.

What would we do with Penner and Gagne if we bring in Nash or Vanek? I could see us moving Penner as there are actually a couple of teams that want him or are said to have interest but would we keep SG as our second line LW?

Next season without Stoll and possibly Lokti (likely) we will be less set down the middle then we are today and even more likely if we make a big deal both of these two will be moved in order to satisfy different needs (Stoll cap space and Lokti as part of a package).

If we need to move Penner *and* Stoll to make cap space for whoever we bring in or even either one of them and Lokti then we have to fill a center spot. If we only go after Nash and he costs us Lokti and in turn Stoll to make cap space then we will be leaving a hole at 3rd line center that will have to be filled.

VV can fill our D opening whoever it is and we have options in net too but with Lokti going too we need a center or it will be Lewis.

That is why I mentioned Carter and Nash or Carter over Nash, one gives us more room than the other. Your right though, our need for a speed winger/game breaker isn't truly addressed by adding Carter. It would give us another 30 goal scoring player and to me, if you add enough natural scoring forwards who are more than adept at putting it in the net eventually we should be able to overcome this stupid scoring drought.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Duc620

Since Vanek's not been talked about much (if at all) in the media or usual rumor blogs, then that's probably where Lombardi's focused. If the alleged "disagreement" argument between Brown and Kings staff after the Terry Murray firing is true, then maybe Mr. Brown is returning home?

I find it hard to believe Buffalo wants or needs to trade Vanek.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
As another Flyer fan posted, Carter has played a full season at wing, and scored 30 goals that year doing it.

Just because Jarrett Stoll has sucked at wing doesn't mean Jeff Carter will.
Trust me- you don't want Carter- he played far more at center with the Flyers than wing; Briere was generally the odd man out unless Carter was hurt. When Carter played wing, the unhappiness oozed from him besides which he wasn't very good when playing that position.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
TG,

Another center, really?

Yes and no. I get what your saying but I think Dean is working on several deals and a centre or two will be shipped out if we do acquire Carter. I doubt Dean is just focused on one simple trade, because there is no magic bullet (ehem Nash) here to get this team going again. It's going to take more than one player, and I suspect if this team makes the playoffs there will be more changes made by Dean in the offseason.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Since Vanek's not been talked about much (if at all) in the media or usual rumor blogs, then that's probably where Lombardi's focused. If the alleged "disagreement" argument between Brown and Kings staff after the Terry Murray firing is true, then maybe Mr. Brown is returning home?

I find it hard to believe Buffalo wants or needs to trade Vanek.
Except here by me for the past 8 days.

This may not be a blog but I have been talking about our interest in Vanek for a little over a week.

Old
02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
If we fall off the rails and Dean gets canned, I really really hope AEG takes a long look at bringing in Jim Nill to take the reigns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Nill

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:31 PM
SFKingshomer

Love to have Vanek but can't see BUF trading him

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Love to have Vanek but can't see BUF trading him
Would cost a very pretty penny.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
SFKingshomer

SJ is doing just fine with 3 natural centers on their top line. Much easier for a center to play wing than vice versa...however I don't want Carter either

Old
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

If the Kings get Carter I would try moving Kopitar to Richards' LW. Kopitar is more of a trigger man and Richards is a good setup man, and if Brown remains he is on the RW.

Carter would be in good shape with Williams on his RW to provide setups. On Carter's LW maybe you use a big body like King for the time being or Gagne if he returns.

A move for Vanek wouldn't shock me since that is Lombardi's style.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
SFKingshomer

If you're DL, do you trade Brown to get Vanek?

Old
02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I think you have to, but depends on what else is wanted.

What if it's Brown and Bernier (Miller to be moved by Buffalo in a separate deal) for Vanek and a pick/prospect?

Old
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If it were this time next year and all things were the same then yes. Toffoli should be able to step in then and is on track to be able to take part of DB's place. I wouldn't want to deal him but Vanek is a rare player.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Duc620

Quote:
That's probably what would start it. Maybe something happened back during the Murray to Sutter transition and then some talk while the Sabres are in free fall...

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I thought Brown played his best hockey of the season after TM was let go, but he has regressed again.